GUILTY OH - Pike Co - 8 in Rhoden Family Murdered - 4 Wagner Family Members Arrested #86

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Most, if not all of the W's were under subpoena so could not be in the courtroom. I believe Katie was the only one to end up testifying.

Very good point. It could be the reason no one saw any of George's relatives in court. Robin and Fred were seen at some of George's hearings so I wonder if they would have attended some of his trial if not under subpoenas. Fred was supportive of George in the press, saying he lost weight and so on.

Last edited:
Very good point. It could be the reason no one saw any of George's relatives in court. Robin and Fred were seen at some of George's hearings so I wonder if they would have attended some of his trial if not under subpoenas. Fred was supportive of George in the press, saying he lost weight and so on.
I don’t know why being under a subpoena would matter at a verdict reading but I’ll admit I don’t know the Ohio statutes that pertain to that. JMO

Is Lucasville out of the question or is it still reserved for those inmates committing crimes behind bars

Ohio's longest and deadliest prison riot happened at Lucasville in 1993. Easter Sunday 450 prisoners took over a cellblock, the riot lasted 11 days.

Five inmates escaped from there earlier this year, and seems like there's been others.

Last edited:
No, I think (jmo) that he might end up over at the South Lebanon one near Cincinnati. They will more than likely keep the 3 whackos separated. Then mommy dearest will get her holier than thou azz shipped to Marysville which is a beast of a facility and those chicks don't play. ;);)

I hope none of them get sent here *Chillicothe*, or I could keep tabs if they do... I know a lot of people who work at CCI. Heck, one day I might even see them on the track walking around and around, and around some more. LOL
AW did mention prison and it being bad. lol I will have to find the exact quote she said, but those recordings where they discussed it all. I was entertained by her incident reports in jail so far. Seems she has been uncomfortable several times already.

Ohio's longest and deadliest prison riot happened at Lucasville in 1993. Easter Sunday 450 prisoners took over a cellblock, the riot lasted 11 days.

Five inmates escaped from there earlier this year, and seems like there's been others.

Well let's keep all the bullet proof bull dozers away from Ohio :D

Netflix had (has? Don't know if it is still available to watch, haven't had Netflix for about a year) a series called "Captive" and the first episode was about the 1993 Lucasville riot. Great watch!

Jake testified against George so Jake would not be safe being in the same prison with George. Even if Billy takes a plea deal, Jake's testimony at George's trial revealed a detailed account of his dad's involvement in the murders, I think saying it was his dad's plan, so Jake would not be safe in Billy's prison.

George and Billy might want to take revenge on him, might even call him a snitch and get other inmates to also take revenge on "the snitch."

I doubt the prison administration would even allow George and Billy to be in the same prison. Remember, the Wagner's plotted jail escape plans together.

Ohio has one prison not real far from FWF I think in Lucasville, that is just for maximum security inmates. But there are other prisons in Ohio that have different security levels in their prisons but also have a section that just houses maximum security inmates. It won't be hard for Ohio to find 3 different prisons with maximum security for the 3 Wagner men.

Listed: 5 Maximum Security Prisons in Ohio

The Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction says it becomes easier for them to manage a prison with different levels, rather than having one prison for level 5 inmates. Level 1 is the lowest security level, level 5 the highest. Jake right now is classified in jail as a level 5.
Interesting about some prisons having all levels vs one prison being maximum security!

Let's not forget Billy running his mouth in that recording about every drug dealer he knows and throwing them all under the bus for these murders. He might not be safe in many places because of that.

He can't not testify because then HE will lose his plea deal and get the DP put back on him. His plea deal was to get the DP dropped because there was too much evidence against him, his trial was 4 months away, and his attorneys likely leveled with him that killing 8 people would most likely get him on death row.

So in exchange for dropping the DP he had to do 3 things. Plead guilty, give a proffer which means testimony about the crimes, then testify against any of his family members who go to trial.

If Billy decides not to go to trial and pleads guilty, then soon Jake can get a sentencing date set. Same for Angela. But of course if Billy goes to trial it will be a long time before Jake and Angela get sentenced. They will sit for months in jail waiting for their day to testify in Billy's trial.

George is going to be the first Wagner to be sent to prison. The day he is sentenced he will be whisked away to an Ohio prison intake reception center.

Prison Intake Inmates sentenced to the Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction are processed through one of three reception centers, based on their gender and/or county of commitment.
Reception Summary - Ohio

Prison Intake information.
Processing Summary.
Processing Breakdown for day 1, day 2 and day 3.
I agree 1000%. I'm hoping JW will become a martyr and doom him and his idiotic murdering dad to death row. I know it is wishful

Something is off. I don't know that she knew they did the murders, but when she bought those bullet proof vests and armor she spent over $1000 on it. She said he wouldn't wear it. She was afraid for him. She thought whoever shot the Rhodens would come after him next. I guess she had to know he was involved in something then because whoever shot the Rhoden wouldn't be after Billy if he wasn't into anything nefarious right? Say she didn't know they did this horrific crime. What did she think they were involved in that would put him in danger? She couldn't recall where she bought the stuff from. It was SO easy to clear up, why didn't see take so long to provide the receipts. I mean good grief you buy $1000 worth of something and can't track down where you bought it and body armor at that.. not an every day purchase for most people. It seems she was less than cooperative, which leads me to question why. She certainly had her share of dealings with the court to get her money on these land deals. So she can't say she was paranoid about being framed. Seems she used the law to her advantage plenty of times.. no reason for her to fear being framed unless she's into some illegal things not revealed

Something is off. I don't know that she knew they did the murders, but when she bought those bullet proof vests and armor she spent over $1000 on it. She said he wouldn't wear it. She was afraid for him. She thought whoever shot the Rhodens would come after him next. I guess she had to know he was involved in something then because whoever shot the Rhoden wouldn't be after Billy if he wasn't into anything nefarious right? Say she didn't know they did this horrific crime. What did she think they were involved in that would put him in danger? She couldn't recall where she bought the stuff from. It was SO easy to clear up, why didn't see take so long to provide the receipts. I mean good grief you buy $1000 worth of something and can't track down where you bought it and body armor at that.. not an every day purchase for most people. It seems she was less than cooperative, which leads me to question why. She certainly had her share of dealings with the court to get her money on these land deals. So she can't say she was paranoid about being framed. Seems she used the law to her advantage plenty of times.. no reason for her to fear being framed unless she's into some illegal things not revealed yet.
She was buying the theory of this being over drug trafficking and knew Billy and Chris in cahoots together in the drug business so feared Billy and Wagner family would be targeted to. JMO

I do think George testifying hurt him or made it easier for the jury because it make it less about Jake and Angela and more about his story and if it was believable. I think the defense argument that George didn't know until Jake confessed hurt them. It was not believable.

This jury didn't have to decide do we think George took his gun and shot someone. They had to decide do we think George knew before this crime, do we think he knew about any of the purchases, do we think he knew after. Do we think he signed that custody document knowing it was fake.

We get all worked up in the details like did he wear the Walmart shoes, was he in the truck bed, was there hay or straw on it, did Jake lie about the truck or Billy shooting Frankie after he did.. etc. We discussed round and round things that the jury didn't need to know 100% in order to make a decision. So I don't think the jury had to decide do we believe they were in the truck bed or did they wear the Walmart shoes, or many of the other things that we discussed into the ground. They only needed to decide if they believe what George said. Once he took the stand to tell how he had no idea and all his ranting was just paranoia and lack of sleep and so on.. I think it helped the jury.
I believe you got it right. I also think the jury found him unbelievable about knowing nothing about it before or after. His rants about the BCI and revenge helped them decide that he had to know. Then inconsistencies in his story like when he went to bed, etc., finished him off…

You know he is my nomination for the "Father of the Year". Such excellent parenting skills by this fine outstanding citizen, with the trigger finger scorpion tattoo. The way he taught his kids to look out for survellence cameras & cops, how to steal diesel and commit insurance fraud. Just wow. If he had just once ounce of being a real man he would have stopped the slaughter of 8 people and his own family would not be spending their lives in prison. What an absolute piece of work.
How did he get into thievery? Was he too lazy to work at Flying W for income? Would his own parents not hire him to work for them so he had income? I could never understand how his parents could be some of the wealthiest people in the area but had to resort to illegal means for income. I’m not saying they should have just given him money to live on. They had work he could do to earn a living. I was working for spending money in grade school already.

Recap for

Wednesday, November 30th:
*Trial continues (Day 48)-VERDICT REACHED! (Day 1) (@ 8:30am ET) - OH - Pike County 8 people dead: Christopher Rhoden, Sr. (40), his ex-wife, Dana Manley Rhoden (37), their three children, Clarence "Frankie" Rhoden (20), Christopher Jr. (16), Hanna Mae (19); Frankie's fiancée, Hannah Hazel Gilley (20), Christopher Rhoden Sr.'s brother, Kenneth Rhoden (44), & a cousin, Gary Rhoden (37). Hanna Rhoden's baby girl (5 days old), another baby (6 mos.) & a young child (3) were unharmed. (April 21-22, 2016, Pebbles) – for *George Washington Wagner IV (27/now 31) (Jakes’ bro) indicted (11/12/18), arrested (11/13/18), charged (11/15/18) & arraigned (11/28/18) with 8 counts aggravated murder, (plus gun specifications on each), 1 count of 1st degree conspiracy, 4 counts of 1st degree aggravated burglary, 1 count of 5th degree unlawful possession of dangerous ordnance, 3 counts of 3rd degree evidence tampering, 1 count of 5th degree forgery, 1 count of 5th degree unauthorized use of computer or telecommunications, 1 count of 4th degree interception of wire, oral or electronic communication, 1 count of 5th degree obstructing justice, & 1 count of 1st degree engaging in a pattern of corrupt activity. Plead not guilty. Held without bond. DA will seek the DP. Per Jake’s plea agreement, DP is off the table only for Jake if his testimony is truthful. But George still faces the DP as he did not take a deal. DP dropped by Judge on 11/22/22.
Trial began on 8/29/22 with final jury selection & the jury was seated on 8/30/22. 12 Jurors & 6 alternates. Jury: (9 women & 3 men) & 6 alternates: (5 women & 1 man). 9/30/22: Ill juror replaced with alternate. 12 jurors & 5 alternates. Jury: (9 women & 3 men) & 5 alternates (4 women & 1 man). A few are in their late 20s or 30s, but most are in their 40s or 50s.
Trial began with opening statements on Monday, 9/12/22 & ended on 11/18/22. State rested their case on 11/18/22. Defense rested their case 11/18/22. Closing arguments began on 11/28 & ended on 11/29/22. Jury started deliberations on 11/30/22 & reached verdict after 7 1/2 hours of deliberations. Verdict-below.

Crime info & court hearings from 11/28/18 thru 9/6/22 & Trial Day 1-45 (9/12 to 11/18/22) no court/jury on 10/27, 11/4 & 11/11, 11/14 & 11/21 & 11/22/22 & Closing 11/28 to 11/29 reference post #595 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...ner-family-members-arrested-86.647353/page-30

11/30/22 Wednesday, Trial Day 48/Deliberations Day 1: Jurors have started deliberations.
For more info see posts #608, 611 to 613 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...ner-family-members-arrested-86.647353/page-31
For more info see posts #625 & 632 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...ner-family-members-arrested-86.647353/page-32
Request from jury for transcript of Jake’s testimony. 764 pages. Judge & attorneys now discussing. After Judge Deering explained the concern over the transcript, the jury foreperson told him they didn't need it. So, jury returns to the room to continue deliberations without transcript of Jake's testimony.
For more info see posts #655 & 657 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...ner-family-members-arrested-86.647353/page-33
For more info see posts #664 & 668 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...ner-family-members-arrested-86.647353/page-34
For more info see posts #690, 692, 696 & 700 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...ner-family-members-arrested-86.647353/page-35
For more info see posts #701, 704 & 707 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...ner-family-members-arrested-86.647353/page-36
VERDICT REACHED!
For more info see posts #781 & 795 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...ner-family-members-arrested-86.647353/page-40
For more info see post #815 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...ner-family-members-arrested-86.647353/page-41
For more info see posts #824, 833 & 835 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...ner-family-members-arrested-86.647353/page-42
For more info see post #864 (video of verdict read) here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...ner-family-members-arrested-86.647353/page-44
Guilty of aggravated murder for all 8 people, with all 8 gun specifications as indicted
Guilty of conspiracy
Guilty of aggravated burglary (4 counts)
Guilty of aggravated burglary with firearm
Guilty of unlawful dangerous ordinance
Guilty of tampering with evidence (3 counts)
Guilty of forgery
Guilty of unauthorized use of property
Guilty of intercepting communication
Guilty of obstructing justice
Guilty of engaging in a pattern of corrupt activity
Judge Deering suggests scheduling sentencing between 12/14/22 & 12/23/22 (the last working day before the Christmas holiday). Pre sentencing memos to be received by 12/14/22.
Deliberations: ~8:30am to ~11:30am (3 hours); ~11:30am to ~4pm (4½ hours). Total: 7½ hours of deliberations. Sentencing date has not been set yet.

Accomplices:
*George Washington Wagner III (47/now 51)Last pretrial hearing on 2/1/22.
*Edward Jacob “Jake” Wagner (26/now 30) – Plead guilty (4/22/21) to all charges & will be sentenced to 8 consecutive life terms without the possibility of parole & will testify in the trials.
*Angela Jo Wagner (48/now 52) – 9/10/21: Plead guilty to a plea deal to Counts 9 thru 22, Counts 1-8 were dismissed. Will be sentenced to 30 years in prison with no early release & has to testify against others at trial. Release date in 2048.
*Rita Jo Newcomb (65/now 69) – Last Motions hearing on 12/2/19 entered a plea of guilty. Expected to testify in the trials.
*Fredericka Carol Wagner (76/now 80) – 6/26/19 Charges were dismissed without prejudice.

She attended church and took the kids with her when they would go. She attended the same church across from UHR where everyone gathered on the day after the murders. I remember that from news stories. It was in testimony, too.

I also still don't believe Angela Wagner's BS story about S showing her that Chris Jr touched her. Total fabrication, IMO
One of the problems with CSA in children that young is that if you ask leading questions, their desire to please can lead to false answers. That's why professionals say let social workers and investigators take over once you suspect CSA so you don't plant the idea. I suspect AW, in her paranoia, planted the facts and, in her arrogance based on her belief it did happen, could not see the likelihood of it being false.

For an idea of the risk, see the Fells Acre case, where a 4-year-old wet himself napping and a worker changed his clothes. Later the boy was playing sexually aggressive games with his cousin. His mother and uncle questioned him with leading questions, which led to an allegation. The worker was arrested. The school announced it to parents and the policr asked them to ask their children. The worker was convicted in cases with nine children and sentenced.

In an appeal, the court overturned it and ruled that:

These grave errors led to the testimony of the children being forever tainted. The only allegations made by the child witnesses occurred after they were subjected to the admittedly suggestive interviews, and investigative techniques, as well as inappropriate - even if understandable - influence by their families. Moreover, neither behavioral symptoms nor physical evidence which may be consistent with child sexual abuse were revealed until after the children and their families were subjected to these improper interviewing and investigative techniques. These alleged symptoms were only discussed after the families were overwhelmed by the panic, hysteria and media attention that snowballed this case into national headlines and widespread concern about ritualistic sexual abuse of children

I suspect that's what happened. She should have taken her to a professional.

Fells Acres Day Care Center preschool trial - Wikipedia

Just my closing 10 cents on the trial, I think Canepa did an amazing job of tying it all together and making sense of the testimony. Parker did a great job inserting doubt. And Wilson did an amazing job of puttingthay bow back on tight. For those of us who have been following case from this has been a long road, and, for me it's comforting that there were good investigators and analysts on the prosecution, the prosecution did a great job and George had component and strong attorneys. I am glad it's over, regardless of the outcome. On some level I feel compassion for all involved. JW and GWIV did not win the parent lottery. AW father, Pug, appeared to be quite the criminal and nonoptimal parent. FW -- well. And the Rhodens and Hannah Giley are dead. The kids suffered. And nothing will bring the victims back. The intergenerational trauma is astounding and I hope the young ones are the first step in breaking that cycle

This thread is now closed. Click below to continue in Thread #87.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jangelyn