OH - Pike Co - 8 in Rhoden Family Murdered - 4 Wagner Family Members Arrested #87

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Distinguished Law Enforcement Group Achievement Award

Pike County Rhoden Murder Task Force​

In the five years after eight members of the Rhoden family were killed in Pike County, local and state investigators poured thousands of hours into finding those responsible. More than 1,100 tips were cleared; 500 interviews completed; 700 pieces of evidence tested; and 500 subpoenas, search warrants and court orders requested.

The dogged efforts led investigators to suspect and arrest another family: the Wagners, who had lived in Pike County at the time of the murders and then moved to Alaska.

In the spring, Jake Wagner, 28, pleaded guilty to all eight murders, including that of the 19-year-old mother of his daughter. Jake, who will spend the rest of his life in prison, has been cooperating with prosecutors and confirmed that the heinous plot was sparked by a custody dispute.

And last month, his mother, Angela Wagner, also pleaded guilty for her role in plotting the massacre. Her son George Wagner IV and her husband, George “Billy” Wagner, are awaiting trial.

Members of the task force include:

Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation

Special Agent Ryan Scheiderer (lead agent)

Special Agent Supervisor Kevin Barbeau

Special Agent Jennifer Comisford

Special Agent Supervisor Roger Davis

Forensic Scientist Suzanne Elliott

Criminal Intelligence Analyst Julia Eveslage

Criminal Intelligence Supervisor Dana Forney

Special Agent Todd Fortner

Special Agent James Gore

Special Agent Shane Hanshaw

Special Agent Chadwick Holcomb

Special Agent Jonathan Jenkins

Special Agent Supervisor William Jones

Forensic Accountant Michael Kaizar

Victim Advocate Cindy Kuhr

Criminal Intelligence Analyst Jennifer Lester

Special Agent James Mulford

Special Agent Perry Roeser

Special Agent Supervisor Justin Root

DNA Lab Director Kristen Slaper

Special Agent Richard Ward

Forensic Scientist Matthew White

Formerly of BCI/Attorney General’s Office

Special Agent Stephfon Daniels

Special Agent Scott Fitch

Special Agent Seth Hagaman

Assistant Superintendent Karen Huey

Special Agent Cornelius McGrady

Computer Forensic Analyst Jonathan Robbins

Superintendent Thomas Stickrath

Special Agent-in-Charge Benjamin Suver

Special Agent Supervisor Michael Trout

Special Agent Bryan White

Deputy Attorney General for Law Enforcement Stephen Schumaker

Local Sheriff’s Offices

Maj. Alan Lewis (co-lead investigator) — Ross County, formerly of Pike County

Maj. Timothy Dickerson — formerly of Pike County

Prosecution

Lead Prosecutor Angie Canepa

Pike County Prosecutor Robert Junk

Assistant Prosecutor Andy Wilson
I am really curious what organization gave out the award? Was able to find it is from the Attorney General's office, presented by Attorney General Dave Yost.

Here is link:

10/19/2021

Last edited:
I am wondering what will happen if Jake and Angie completely recant their testimony to claim George nor Billy was not even involved after they are sentenced?

What if they both come back and say they lied in the proffer and on the witness stand after they (jake and Angie) are sentenced?

If they say that it was all planned and executed by Jake and Angie and George and Billy were home that night with no knowledge before, during or after the crime?

It has been done before. Witnesses have recanted their testimony years later. Killers have walked free because of it.

I never saw the evidence to convict George, but then again so much of the testimony was "opted" out. But the jurors saw and heard all. I trust in the justice system. If the jury found him guilty, then he is guilty.

JMO

I am wondering what will happen if Jake and Angie completely recant their testimony to claim George nor Billy was not even involved after they are sentenced?

What if they both come back and say they lied in the proffer and on the witness stand after they (jake and Angie) are sentenced?

If they say that it was all planned and executed by Jake and Angie and George and Billy were home that night with no knowledge before, during or after the crime?

It has been done before. Witnesses have recanted their testimony years later. Killers have walked free because of it.

I never saw the evidence to convict George, but then again so much of the testimony was "opted" out. But the jurors saw and heard all. I trust in the justice system. If the jury found him guilty, then he is guilty.

JMO

Jake and Angela lying was already addressed by the defense at George's trial. No grounds for George to have a new trial based on this.

George's attorneys have already accused Jake and Angela of lying under oath during George's trial when they cross examined them. George's attorneys were already given the full opportunity to address this issue.

No appeals judge would give their testimony the time of day and grant George a whole new trial which is what would have to happen. The whole lying issue was already delt with.

Angela and Jake would have no evidence to back up their changing story. No proof showing George is really innocent. No proof the prosecution or BCI forced them to lie to convict George.

The court held that the granting of “a new trial based on witness recantation depends on three factors: (1) the testimony was material and false, (2) the jury would have reached a different conclusion without the testimony, and (3) the party seeking the new trial was surprised by the false testimony and was not aware of its falsity until after the trial.”

George's attorneys accused Angela and Jake of lying DURING the trial, thus they WERE ABLE to address this issue, it was known to them.

Last edited:
Totally O T but I've read in one of National papers about that dreadful train derailment in Ohio. Is everyone who is usually here ok and safe?

Im not caught up with everything here yet because we've had bad news after bad news x3 this year so far. My other half lost his longest known best friend mid January, then his Uncle was taken by cancer. His passing was expected, then Thursday morning our nephew was found on a walkway into town. Too early to know what happened but he was 50 same age as my eldest was.

Mods delete if necessary. Sorry.
I'm so very sorry for these losses and for your family's sorrow, @altojack Praying for you and your family. May God hold you close!

I am really curious what organization gave out the award? Was able to find it is from the Attorney General's office, presented by Attorney General Dave Yost.

Here is link:

10/19/2021

Here is link:

10/19/2021

Then I hope you found the answer to your question. As for me posting it... nope, you can.

Last edited:
Then I hope you found the answer to your ?
Yes! And thanks for posting this. I am glad to see credit given where credit is due!

I hope some day I can see a video of Junk working a case as judge. I am curious of what his "style" will be, so to speak. Deering was somewhat taciturn, straight to the point, not a bad thing. He oversaw a long tough case and did a very good job. Good case to retire on.

He told George - in an understated way - that he "failed to live a law abiding life." I thought he would say more, especially considering all the victim impact statements.

Last edited:
GW3 docket update:

02/27/2023 CERTIFICATE OF ASSIGNMENT -- THE HONORABLE R. ALAN CORBIN, A RETIRED JUDGE OF THE BROWN COUNTY COURT OF COMMON PLEAS, GENERAL AND DOMESTIC RELATIONS DIVISION, IS ASSIGNED EFFECTIVE FEBRUARY 27, 2023 TO PRESIDE IN THE PIKE COUNTY COURT OF COMMON PLEAS, GENERAL AND DOMESTIC RELATIONS DIVISION, TO HEAR CASE 2018CR000157, STATE OF OHIO VS. GEORGE WASHINGTON WAGNER III AND TO CONCLUDE ANY PROCEEDINGS IN WHICH HE PARTICIPATED
COPIES FILED MAILED TO COUNSEL

link: https://cpcourt.pikecounty.oh.gov/e...NdNCrcjSmulxkMudlZejxhNQA*csEXANkjeMjZvnK4-hA

GW3 docket update:

02/27/2023 CERTIFICATE OF ASSIGNMENT -- THE HONORABLE R. ALAN CORBIN, A RETIRED JUDGE OF THE BROWN COUNTY COURT OF COMMON PLEAS, GENERAL AND DOMESTIC RELATIONS DIVISION, IS ASSIGNED EFFECTIVE FEBRUARY 27, 2023 TO PRESIDE IN THE PIKE COUNTY COURT OF COMMON PLEAS, GENERAL AND DOMESTIC RELATIONS DIVISION, TO HEAR CASE 2018CR000157, STATE OF OHIO VS. GEORGE WASHINGTON WAGNER III AND TO CONCLUDE ANY PROCEEDINGS IN WHICH HE PARTICIPATED
COPIES FILED MAILED TO COUNSEL

link: https://cpcourt.pikecounty.oh.gov/e...NdNCrcjSmulxkMudlZejxhNQA*csEXANkjeMjZvnK4-hA

Thanks, Niner! Now we know who is presiding over Billy's trial. It looks like he's already served as a visiting judge, most recently in the Court of Common Pleas in Clermont County.

Last edited:

All I will add is :eek::eek::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads