OH - Pike Co - 8 in Rhoden Family Murdered - 4 Wagner Family Members Arrested #88

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Having followed this case from day 1 and being addicted to anything I could find through the couple of years until the arrests, the GW4 trial, et all, what are your general thoughts of what can/will be different? What is defense strategy? Will the other 3 testify? Will cameras be allowed and will we see the testimony of the other 3 this time? What is your opinion of this judge? It's time to be over and done!!

How it looks to me ....

The defense strategy will be that Billy did not live with the other 3 and had no clue what all they were doing. Billy was close friends with Chris and had no problem with him and no concern about his son's custody matters.

Billy allowed himself to be interviewed by BCI in a store parking lot and told them he had been trying to get ahold of Chris that morning but could not get him. But BCI said they found out this is a lie, not sure what exactly all this means but I would guess it will come up in Billy's trial.

I think that Billy's trial will be televised but we will have that problem where Jake and Angela refuse to go on camera like what happened before. If Jake and Angela can stay off camera I believe they will.

Jake and Angela have to testify. In fact, to get the DP off the table for Billy Jake must testify. For Angela to get out of prison at age 78 she needs to testify.

I think Jake's EX, George's EX and Chris Newcomb will testify. I think when George's EX was living with the Wagners and married George that Billy and Angela were still living together.

I do not know a thing about this judge but I sure hope he gets this trial started in January 2025. I will blame him if Billy's trial drags out to spring 2025....etc....

2 Cents

One new entry in the docket. Do not understand why they have not changed the Judge's name on the site - ?? I corrected the first one! :)

Docket Information
Date Docket Text
09/06/2024 NOTICE OF INTENT TO DISMISS MOTIONS FILED
COPIES FILED MAILED TO COUNSEL

Events:
Date Type Event Judge Result
09/05/2024 01:00 PM PRE-TRIAL JUNK, ROBERT HEIN, JONATHAN P. Held

10/07/2024 01:00 PM PRE-TRIAL JUNK, ROBERT

11/06/2024 01:00 PM PRE-TRIAL JUNK, ROBERT

12/16/2024 01:00 PM PRE-TRIAL JUNK, ROBERT

01/03/2025 09:00 AM PRE-TRIAL JUNK, ROBERT

01/06/2025 09:00 AM JURY TRIAL JUNK, ROBERT

link: https://cpcourt.pikecounty.oh.gov/e...Nw4Qc1kHmTnLJSmKD-Ue2eaH1aTMMImvaY7TKg2r5332Q

bbm

Sept. 5, 2024

The judge in George “Billy” Wagner’s #PikeCountyMassacre case on Thursday signaled plans to move through pre-trial matters and begin the trial Jan. 6, 2025. (Photo from @Enquirer media partner Fox 19. 1/10

1725733867531.png

Visiting Pike County Common Pleas Judge Jonathan P. Hein met privately with attorneys in the case for 90 minutes to review pending motions. In a public hearing of less than 10 minutes, he asked prosecutors to return to court Oct. 7 with information on four key topics: 2/10

1.) What evidence of “other acts” (meaning other crimes or wrongdoing) they want to use in trial; 2.) who they want to testify; 3.) how many trial days they anticipate and 4.) their POV on moving the trial to another venue, which Wagner requested this week. 3/10

Hein also wants prosecution and defense attorneys to work together on questions they will put to potential jurors in the case, and both sides to winnow motions to the most “substantive and necessary.” 4/10

After the hearing, Wagner attorney Mark Collins said his client remains opposed to the use of “other acts” at trial. “What’s relevant is what happened, what happened right before and what happened right after.” 5/10

Collins said he’d also like the court to remove death as a possible penalty early in the case, in the event that Wagner is convicted. “We’re always trying to take it off the table early,” he said. 6/10

Wagner did not attend the hearing, at the judge’s direction. “There wasn’t any reason … to get him here and back,” he said, citing costs and safety. 7/10

Wagner, 53, has been jailed in Butler County since he was arrested in November 2018 and charged with 22 counts in the April 2016 shooting deaths of seven members of Pike County’s Rhoden family and one future member. 8/10

Wagner’s older son, George Wagner IV, was convicted on the same charges at the end of 2022. His younger son and wife -- Edward "Jake" Wagner and Angela Wagner -- admitted their involvement in the crimes in 2021. 9/10

Hein has set monthly hearings in the case through the anticipated Jan. 6 start. 10/10

bbm

Sept. 5, 2024

The judge in George “Billy” Wagner’s #PikeCountyMassacre case on Thursday signaled plans to move through pre-trial matters and begin the trial Jan. 6, 2025. (Photo from @Enquirer media partner Fox 19. 1/10

View attachment 529646

Visiting Pike County Common Pleas Judge Jonathan P. Hein met privately with attorneys in the case for 90 minutes to review pending motions. In a public hearing of less than 10 minutes, he asked prosecutors to return to court Oct. 7 with information on four key topics: 2/10

1.) What evidence of “other acts” (meaning other crimes or wrongdoing) they want to use in trial; 2.) who they want to testify; 3.) how many trial days they anticipate and 4.) their POV on moving the trial to another venue, which Wagner requested this week. 3/10

Hein also wants prosecution and defense attorneys to work together on questions they will put to potential jurors in the case, and both sides to winnow motions to the most “substantive and necessary.” 4/10

After the hearing, Wagner attorney Mark Collins said his client remains opposed to the use of “other acts” at trial. “What’s relevant is what happened, what happened right before and what happened right after.” 5/10

Collins said he’d also like the court to remove death as a possible penalty early in the case, in the event that Wagner is convicted. “We’re always trying to take it off the table early,” he said. 6/10

Wagner did not attend the hearing, at the judge’s direction. “There wasn’t any reason … to get him here and back,” he said, citing costs and safety. 7/10

Wagner, 53, has been jailed in Butler County since he was arrested in November 2018 and charged with 22 counts in the April 2016 shooting deaths of seven members of Pike County’s Rhoden family and one future member. 8/10

Wagner’s older son, George Wagner IV, was convicted on the same charges at the end of 2022. His younger son and wife -- Edward "Jake" Wagner and Angela Wagner -- admitted their involvement in the crimes in 2021. 9/10

Hein has set monthly hearings in the case through the anticipated Jan. 6 start. 10/10
Thanks for the recap.
It seems like this Judge is not coddling the Wagners like in the past. He's made sure all lawyers involved know he is very serious about the January trial date and mindful of costs associated with the trial.

As for Collins wish the Death Penalty be removed......I guess you can let a guy dream.

JMO

Having followed this case from day 1 and being addicted to anything I could find through the couple of years until the arrests, the GW4 trial, et all, what are your general thoughts of what can/will be different? What is defense strategy? Will the other 3 testify? Will cameras be allowed and will we see the testimony of the other 3 this time? What is your opinion of this judge? It's time to be over and done!!
I do not think George will testify since he is trying to get an appeal.
I wonder also what their defense would be. I can only think they will try to say Angela and Jake are lying. I think cameras will be allowed but I think the judge will follow the last trial and let people opt out if they choose.
I sure hope they have split screens of Billy and the person testifying on the screen when they don't opt out. Will be really interesting to see his reaction to anyone and would especially be interesting to see him when Angela and Jake testify.

One new entry in the docket. Do not understand why they have not changed the Judge's name on the site - ?? I corrected the first one! :)

Docket Information
Date Docket Text
09/06/2024 NOTICE OF INTENT TO DISMISS MOTIONS FILED
COPIES FILED MAILED TO COUNSEL

Events:
Date Type Event Judge Result
09/05/2024 01:00 PM PRE-TRIAL JUNK, ROBERT HEIN, JONATHAN P. Held

10/07/2024 01:00 PM PRE-TRIAL JUNK, ROBERT

11/06/2024 01:00 PM PRE-TRIAL JUNK, ROBERT

12/16/2024 01:00 PM PRE-TRIAL JUNK, ROBERT

01/03/2025 09:00 AM PRE-TRIAL JUNK, ROBERT

01/06/2025 09:00 AM JURY TRIAL JUNK, ROBERT

link: https://cpcourt.pikecounty.oh.gov/e...Nw4Qc1kHmTnLJSmKD-Ue2eaH1aTMMImvaY7TKg2r5332Q
I am trying to get the Notice of intent to dismiss motion. Will be interesting to see which ones they want to dismiss.

Jake Wagner on Page 62 of this link or at least on that page for me. I guess they finally updated their site, but I had called them before and they confirmed he was in that facility. There was no link at that time.
1725750055232.png

Last edited:
I do not think George will testify since he is trying to get an appeal.
I wonder also what their defense would be. I can only think they will try to say Angela and Jake are lying. I think cameras will be allowed but I think the judge will follow the last trial and let people opt out if they choose.
I sure hope they have split screens of Billy and the person testifying on the screen when they don't opt out. Will be really interesting to see his reaction to anyone and would especially be interesting to see him when Angela and Jake testify.
Will be the first time Billy will see Angela since the trials were severed, I don't know if Angela was allowed to write or call Billy when her privileges were returned, maybe she chooses not to keep in touch with Billy or he may have told her he wants nothing to do with her now he knows she is going to testify against him.
I think the state may also not want her speaking to Billy till his trial is over,

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stefunee
Back