OH Pike Co., 8 in Rhoden Family Murdered Over Custody Issue, 4 Members Wagner Family Arrested #52

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't mean they didn't have cameras watching them. I know for a fact that a Sheriff can order a power company to put cameras on power poles to watch a place. Who knows what they may have had for cameras in the warehouse. That said, I'm very sure they had been looked over several times by OBI and had been 3D scanned. I doubt anyone got in them even if they were unguarded. My opinions only...
Yes, 3D scans of the crime scenes are in evidence.
Pike County murders: Court documents reveal new details

And the trailers were/are boarded up so I agree, doubt anyone would get in them.

I think LE stripped the trailers of evidence and the big reason to store them is potential vandalism.

"I decided to move those crime scenes, Pike County Sheriff Charles Reader told FOX19 NOW."

"The reason: the sheriff wanted the scenes preserved."

(The scenes are different from the evidence. Like walking through a movie set, the set is the scene and the props are the evidence. You can take out the evidence but still need to preserve the scene. Just how I see it.)

"Had those trailers stayed where they were, Reader explained, they would have been burned or destroyed."

Pike Co. Massacre: Prosecutor says evidence ‘virtually useless’

Last edited:
Jmo it’s because Reader is the one that always states his personal legal problems stems from the stress of the murders. That is first I have heard of people checking into treatment centers, maybe Reader should have went that route also Jmo
We have no proof how others who viewed the crime scenes reacted afterwards. But I think it depends on who you are as to how deeply you are affected. One person such as an EMT or coroner could walk into the crime scene, shut down their emotions and concentrate on their job. Another person may be so emotional they have to leave the scene. One person might take it as their job, have a few sleepless nights, then go on with their job. Another might not be able to get past it and let it lead to sleepless nights, and become so emotionally affected they can no longer do their job.

To be fair, the EMTS, coroner and others did not remain deeply involved in the crime past their initial working of the crime scene. In other words they did what they had to do then were called out to other crime scenes, medical emergencies, ect. Lead investigators and Sheriff Reader had to live the crime scene. It was their job but BCI investigators had other crime scenes all across Ohio and the ones that worked on the Rhoden scene may not have worked it full time, but were assigned other cases. But for Reader, there was no where to go to get away from it since it was the biggest thing to ever hit Pike County Sheriff's office. He lived and breathed it 24/7 and felt a huge responsibility to solve the case. He said so several times in interviews. "We are coming for you" he said. "We will catch you" I think was another comment. The public scrutiny and public pressure by the voters of Pike County was square on his shoulders. He was the face of the crime. Dewine was also the public face but he viewed the crime scene once then left. He also had other interests and could go back to his campaign for Governor which was very important to him personally to take his mind off it.

Reader had no such outlet. He lived in Pike County, he worked there, he was at the scenes daily for weeks, then had the crime scenes towed and was responsible for safeguarding them. Add to that pressure from Junk and the media and I think it broke him.

As a side note we have not seen or heard anymore from Bobby Jo or James or Donald since Lenny stopped talking. We have no idea how they are doing since they have not showed up in court that I have seen and have not given any interviews since the initial ones when the crime first happened. For all we know Bobby Jo, James and Donald may have had to have extensive therapy to get through the years since it happened.

Also as a side note, although it was their sister and family, Bobby Jo saw two scenes 1 time, James saw one, 1 time, and Donald saw one, 1 time. Bobby Jo gave a quick glance, grabbed up a baby and ran outside to call 911. James saw his sister's feet and didn't even go in but ran to flag down a police officer. Donald gave a quick glance and ran out to call 911. Reader saw all 4 many times for many days in a row. Reader saw many things that Bobby Jo, James and Donald may not have seen or noticed.

Not defending Readers gambling, just saying that we have no way or knowing how strong his character was before the crime, or how weak it may be now.

JMO

I always felt something fishy about that, why go through the expense of moving all the residences just to leave them unguarded. Because they actually was guarding them, just under cover. And yes I believe that at least one of them tried to go back in either before they were moved or after. My opinion only.

I always felt something fishy about that, why go through the expense of moving all the residences just to leave them unguarded. Because they actually was guarding them, just under cover. And yes I believe that at least one of them tried to go back in either before they were moved or after. My opinion only.
I agree. They could either post 24 hr guards at all 4 crime scenes for a very long time, or move the crime scenes to a single location that had lots and lots of lighting and probably very hi-def security cameras. I don't think it is a coincidence.

Had they left the trailers in place, I think they would have been vandalized and set on fire. What if there was a new tip but the crime scenes had been burned down?

Leaving them in place, would also open the possibly that someone could sneak back in and plant or remove evidence/DNA to frame someone.

IMO, both BCI and Sheriff Reader made a wise call.

JMO, MOO

Last edited:
I agree. They could either post 24 hr guards at all 4 crime scenes for a very long time, or move the crime scenes to a single location that had lots and lots of lighting and probably very hi-def security cameras. I don't think it is a coincidence.

Had they left the trailers in place, I think they would have been vandalized and set on fire. What if there was a new tip but the crime scenes had been burned down?

Leaving them in place, would also open the possibly that someone could sneak back in and plant or remove evidence/DNA to frame someone.

IMO, both BCI and Sheriff Reader made a wise call.

JMO, MOO
IMO, no one can be sure but I got a good one for you fellow sleuthers to toss around in your brain, what if the Wagners where trying to sneak the Forged Custody PaperWork back into Dana’s & Hanna Mays Home to make the paperwork look like she signed it and it was just lying there to take to the courthouse to be legal,JMO

We have no proof how others who viewed the crime scenes reacted afterwards. But I think it depends on who you are as to how deeply you are affected. One person such as an EMT or coroner could walk into the crime scene, shut down their emotions and concentrate on their job. Another person may be so emotional they have to leave the scene. One person might take it as their job, have a few sleepless nights, then go on with their job. Another might not be able to get past it and let it lead to sleepless nights, and become so emotionally affected they can no longer do their job.

To be fair, the EMTS, coroner and others did not remain deeply involved in the crime past their initial working of the crime scene. In other words they did what they had to do then were called out to other crime scenes, medical emergencies, ect. Lead investigators and Sheriff Reader had to live the crime scene. It was their job but BCI investigators had other crime scenes all across Ohio and the ones that worked on the Rhoden scene may not have worked it full time, but were assigned other cases. But for Reader, there was no where to go to get away from it since it was the biggest thing to ever hit Pike County Sheriff's office. He lived and breathed it 24/7 and felt a huge responsibility to solve the case. He said so several times in interviews. "We are coming for you" he said. "We will catch you" I think was another comment. The public scrutiny and public pressure by the voters of Pike County was square on his shoulders. He was the face of the crime. Dewine was also the public face but he viewed the crime scene once then left. He also had other interests and could go back to his campaign for Governor which was very important to him personally to take his mind off it.

Reader had no such outlet. He lived in Pike County, he worked there, he was at the scenes daily for weeks, then had the crime scenes towed and was responsible for safeguarding them. Add to that pressure from Junk and the media and I think it broke him.

As a side note we have not seen or heard anymore from Bobby Jo or James or Donald since Lenny stopped talking. We have no idea how they are doing since they have not showed up in court that I have seen and have not given any interviews since the initial ones when the crime first happened. For all we know Bobby Jo, James and Donald may have had to have extensive therapy to get through the years since it happened.

Also as a side note, although it was their sister and family, Bobby Jo saw two scenes 1 time, James saw one, 1 time, and Donald saw one, 1 time. Bobby Jo gave a quick glance, grabbed up a baby and ran outside to call 911. James saw his sister's feet and didn't even go in but ran to flag down a police officer. Donald gave a quick glance and ran out to call 911. Reader saw all 4 many times for many days in a row. Reader saw many things that Bobby Jo, James and Donald may not have seen or noticed.

Not defending Readers gambling, just saying that we have no way or knowing how strong his character was before the crime, or how weak it may be now.

JMO
Jmo I agree we have no idea how they are mentally dealing, but I have not seen any where on court documents of them committing crimes. Jmo

Yes, 3D scans of the crime scenes are in evidence.
Pike County murders: Court documents reveal new details

And the trailers were/are boarded up so I agree, doubt anyone would get in them.

I think LE stripped the trailers of evidence and the big reason to store them is potential vandalism.

"I decided to move those crime scenes, Pike County Sheriff Charles Reader told FOX19 NOW."

"The reason: the sheriff wanted the scenes preserved."

(The scenes are different from the evidence. Like walking through a movie set, the set is the scene and the props are the evidence. You can take out the evidence but still need to preserve the scene. Just how I see it.)

"Had those trailers stayed where they were, Reader explained, they would have been burned or destroyed."

Pike Co. Massacre: Prosecutor says evidence ‘virtually useless’

They probably surmised the killers were local, known to the family and familiar with the properties, so it's good they were preserved. It's also why LE hid the surviving children. For whatever reason, they focused on the wrong locals for more than a year until someone noticed something (possibly in electronic/digital evidence) that made them shift their focus.

Agree, Charlie and all the first responders saw a lot more that day, up close and in more detail. I sympathize with all of them - family and first responders - for having to see something so horrific. The impact on family members is special in its own way, because they're loved ones in familiar places, people saw or talked to nearly every day until a few hours before they died. For first responders, its difficult because they have to view all of it, record and examine every detail for evidence.

They probably surmised the killers were local, known to the family and familiar with the properties, so it's good they were preserved. It's also why LE hid the surviving children. For whatever reason, they focused on the wrong locals for more than a year until someone noticed something (possibly in electronic/digital evidence) that made them shift their focus.
I wonder if that Chris Graves article on JW may have been the flag. He puts himself there picking up his daughter hours before the crime, even saying we missed it by hours. Then when asked later the story was, we had my daughter for days before that. I sure hope CG used a tape recorder for that interview.

I wonder if that Chris Graves article on JW may have been the flag. He puts himself there picking up his daughter hours before the crime, even saying we missed it by hours. Then when asked later the story was, we had my daughter for days before that. I sure hope CG used a tape recorder for that interview.

According to former BCI agent Trout, he claimed to have solved the case with some evidence he discovered in May 2017. While his claim to credit may be inaccurate, it sounds like the turning point was some evidence he discovered in May 2017. That could mean he dug up the evidence on his own or he found something in evidence that had already been gathered via search warrant.

Rhoden murder case supervisor resigns before demotion for "unprofessionalism"

It probably took a while to go through all the digital evidence - phone calls, texts, emails, audio, video, photos, etc. Once BCI gathered the evidence, they had to send some of it off to experts to process.

Reader may have also been concerned that the killers would come back to the crime scenes to plant false evidence and falsely incriminate someone else. There were rumors out there and it's assumed LE found people creeping around the crime scenes after the murders.

Last edited:
Yes, very much. I don't understand how someone like that gets hired as a police officer!
It is very deferent than seeing a stranger dead than coming upon family or friends being exacted like the Rhodens family where, and ex specially 16 year child shot 4 times in the head, IMO Mr Reader didn’t take the canceling that is usually offered when people has to deal with the situation and he paid the price, JMO
I have been in Readers shoes I know what it is like to find dead people in horrible way of their time of death.

It is very deferent than seeing a stranger dead than coming upon family or friends being exacted like the Rhodens family where, and ex specially 16 year child shot 4 times in the head, IMO Mr Reader didn’t take the canceling that is usually offered when people has to deal with the situation and he paid the price, JMO
I have been in Readers shoes I know what it is like to find dead people in horrible way of their time of death.

Johnny, did you meant to post this as a reply to me? Your post makes no sense in reference to mine. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member