OH - Pike County: 8 people from one family dead as police hunt for killer(s) #18

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry this is long, couldn't condense. For what it's worth...
I made the drive to Union Hill Rd this afternoon.
From 73 headed south or east, made a left on RT 32, made a right, south, onto Union Hill Rd.
It is natural, beautiful terrain. Hills and valleys.
Saw the Leonard Manley home on the curve on the left side.
There is a small memorial grouping at the mailbox, mementos, flowers. Lots of cars, misc. in the yard and general area. Seemed crowded on that curve.

Continued down the road.
Next were a few homes, addresses, of people who aren't involved.
More homes, structures, than I had imagined.

The road is narrow, heavily covered on both sides with trees -2 deer crossed the road in front of my car.

Paid particular attention to the open area of power lines that seem to parallel the road on the right side ( going down hill). There doesn't seem to be much chance that the open power line area was used to access, as the trees are very dense and terrain very ravine like at points. Not as it appears on Google Earth.
The road and general area was very secluded and remote.
Desolate. Dark, even in daytime.

Did not see another vehicle or person as we drove down the narrow,
and I mean NARROW road. Paved road, but very deteriorated.
No lighting, no markings. Road twists, turns.

A car could easily travel down the road quietly without alerting neighbors. Most homes are back a bit from the road. Easy to miss car noise or car lights. Possible to coast down hill quite a way if that's what you wanted to do.
Continued on to the DR, CRjr, HR site on right.
Red barn. Doors covered with plywood. Sketchy structures, back from road. Near front, what was probably the wooden porch deck. Very nice, peaceful, location. Well kept. Didn't see any evidence of a basement. So sad to think of DR here for such a short time where she was likely happy in this beautiful spot. Very sad.
Continued on to the CR sr & GR location on left.
Not much to see from the road. The very small yellow house was visible. Overgrown vegetation. Could see the big long structure, not able to see inside. From the road, one could not see back into the depths of the property. Saw a few of the Rooster A frames. Some vehicles. Random stuff including vehicles surrounded by overgrown vegetation. Frontage was smaller than is seemed to be on the news and helicopter shots. Could not see back into the depths of property.
Last stop was FR, HG. Again smaller in scope than imagined. Very sad. Remains of household items, washing machine, children's plastic outdoor play toys. Stark. Lonely. Very sad.
It was all more than I could take at that time.
So very sad.
I did say a little prayer at each location.
There were more residences of various kinds, mostly trailers, barns, interspersed before the R addresses, and after.
I never saw another person or vehicle this entire time.

Clearly the perps knew very well where they needed to go. It would have been very very dark. No lights. No edge markings on road. Dim, even at sunrise. Trees are so dense. Road is so narrow. No easy way to identify properties. A mailbox here and there.
Not much maneuvering room on any of the properties. At least by my standards. I don't see driving trucks up to back windows, etc. Tight spaces.
I can see how gun shots of any number or muffled volume may not have been heard by any nearby property.
Spaces between properties are significant.
Dense Walls of mature trees.
I can now understand that anyone driving by - even LE, prior to this event, could not notice much of what was on the properties. Small frontage, cluttered, but deep wooded areas, that could not be viewed from road.

I had planned to go to Left Fork, but couldn't do it. Too upset. The terror
of that night was clear and left me cold.

Turned around, retraced back up Union Hill.

One note. RT 32 is easy access and also desolate.
One could do exactly as I did, use RT 32 to come and go and not be seen at all. Dark. Few vehicles. Observe traffic rules and no reason to be noticed.

Regardless of what may have been the Family business, this murder of 8 is a tragedy of great depth and sadness.
My sincere condolences to the Rhoden and Gilley Families.

Yeah, I'm 57 yrs old, and I have never smoked pot or tried any illegal drugs. And two-thirds of the people who I tell that look at you like you're the biggest liar on the planet, or you just escaped from Mars. But when we moved to a town in SE Kan, pop 2800, I thought it would be a good place to raise two teenagers, but the drug problem was worse there than any place I had lived before. It wasn't hard to find out who used and who sold, just had to keep your ears open. I think me and my spouse were about the only people who didn't smoke! Okay, that's exaggerating, but talk was cheap, and everybody listened except the cops. We knew a couple who made meth 3 blocks from PD, and never got busted. Guess it was too much work to arrest druggies. Either that or the cops were getting theirs for free! Now that the kids are 30, They've both told me they had smoked pot with more than one younger cop. And City Hall wonders why they can't keep good cops. I hope Pike county isn't the same way, but who knows? We lived at that town for 15 yrs, and there had not been a major drug bust there since 1993!

At least Pike county is attempting to get the drug issue downsided. At least you can read about drug arrests there, not arrests for paraphernalia, or driving with no license, or get this, walking while intoxicated!

I read your post, it reminded me of something that struck me as hilarious. I know a gal, who had one of those motorized carts, like they can ride on you know? Well... she got drunk, and was riding this thing down the street, on the sidewalk. Got picked up for Driving While Intoxicated. True story. LOL

At least Pike county is attempting to get the drug issue downsided. At least you can read about drug arrests there, not arrests for paraphernalia, or driving with no license, or get this, walking while intoxicated!

I've read it. I'm not buying what he's selling on that one either. I read in another article it was b/c they found Mexican food wrappers/food items at the camp sites that he connected those dots. A lot of people camp out w/their outdoor plants, especially near harvest time, to keep people from stealing them. A lot of people eat Mexican food. A.) It's tasty. B.) It's easy. I'm not really gee'in and hawin' w/his idea of what a sophisticated grow op is either. I still can't get over the fact that he didn't know what gamecocks were.

Yes a lot of people eat Mexican food but the difference might have been the type of food...to many Taco Bell is Mexican but real Mexicans would laugh at that

I do not think they have ever said KR was definitely not a suicide. They did say it did not appear to be a murder suicide.

I agree with this...at first they did say no one had but was that before they found KR? I applaud LE for keeping this so close to the vest..in a small town/country area that's not easy to do.

From 73 headed south or east, made a left on RT 32, made a right, south, onto Union Hill Rd.
There is a small memorial grouping at the mailbox, mementos, flowers. Lots of cars, misc. in the yard and general area. Seemed crowded on that curve.

Continued down the road.

The road is narrow, heavily covered on both sides with trees -2 deer crossed the road in front of my car.

Paid particular attention to the open area of power lines that seem to parallel the road on the right side ( going down hill). There doesn't seem to be much chance that the open power line area was used to access, as the trees are very dense and terrain very ravine like at points. Not as it appears on Google Earth.

A car could easily travel down the road quietly without alerting neighbors. Most homes are back a bit from the road. Easy to miss car noise or car lights. Possible to coast down hill quite a way if that's what you wanted to do.
Red barn. Doors covered with plywood. Sketchy structures, back from road. Near front, what was probably the wooden porch deck. Very nice, peaceful, location. Well kept. Didn't see any evidence of a basement. So sad to think of DR here for such a short time where she was likely happy in this beautiful spot. Very sad.
Not much to see from the road. The very small yellow house was visible. Overgrown vegetation. Could see the big long structure, not able to see inside. From the road, one could not see back into the depths of the property. Saw a few of the Rooster A frames. Some vehicles. Random stuff including vehicles surrounded by overgrown vegetation. Frontage was smaller than is seemed to be on the news and helicopter shots. Could not see back into the depths of property.
Last stop was FR, HG. Again smaller in scope than imagined. Very sad. Remains of household items, washing machine, children's plastic outdoor play toys. Stark. Lonely. Very sad.
So very sad.
There were more residences of various kinds, mostly trailers, barns, interspersed before the R addresses, and after.

Clearly the perps knew very well where they needed to go. It would have been very very dark. No lights. No edge markings on road. Dim, even at sunrise. Trees are so dense. Road is so narrow. No easy way to identify properties. A mailbox here and there.
Not much maneuvering room on any of the properties. At least by my standards. I don't see driving trucks up to back windows, etc. Tight spaces.
I can see how gun shots of any number or muffled volume may not have been heard by any nearby property.
I can now understand that anyone driving by - even LE, prior to this event, could not notice much of what was on the properties. Small frontage, cluttered, but deep wooded areas, that could not be viewed from road.

One could do exactly as I did, use RT 32 to come and go and not be seen at all. Dark. Few vehicles. Observe traffic rules and no reason to be noticed.

Regardless of what may have been the Family business, this murder of 8 is a tragedy of great depth and sadness.

Thank you for writing this...gives a much better idea of what it took to commit this horrible massacre......very sad for everyone involved

Many thanks for taking the time to share this!
So clear I could nearly visualize a lot of it.
I have wanted to drive down there, just do a drive by, sadly vehicle problems are plaguing our family right now. I do want to go, just to get my take on it. It sounds, from your description, that one would not be able to navigate their way even in the moonlight unless they really knew their way around, familiar with the area so to speak. That has been my guess for sometime.. someone knew the area and homes.

Many of us have done things in our lives we are not proud of, and would probably like to go back and erase. The reason I say this, I could care less what the family members did, marijuana or whatever. I don't care. What I care about is this is a horrific crime. No one had the right to do what was done that night/morning whenever. If they were doing anything illegal, that is what we have a legal system for. People can't just pass judgement and be the jury and executioner.
I pray those responsible are caught and prosecuted.
I pray for the family.... I cannot begin to imagine, the feelings those folks lived through in the few minutes before their own deaths, watching or hearing loved ones being murdered. And the family that survive. They will think of these moments forever.

Continued down the road.

So very sad.

Continued down the road.

So very sad.

Your post was very telling, moving, and haunting, I became teary eyed. Regardless if there was any bad business or wrong doings, this is so horrible to do to anyone. I can't even imagine 8 of my family members being massacred, my heart breaks and many nights I pray for justice! jmo

It's hard to believe that there are people who are capable of doing such terrible things. I understand why LE can't give out too much info, but no updates except for custody filings in two weeks is driving me nuts. In 1976, there was a murder in my hometown, a lady I knew. The guy who was arrested I didn't know, but a friend said that he couldn't have killed LB, he wasn't the type. He was found not guilty. 18 months later, an 18 year old girl was murdered in Enid, Okla. Three days later, he was found with her watch. If the prosecution had done their job, this never would have never happened. I just hope LE isn't overlooking someone for the same reason. I admire you going to Rhoden property, and I know how deeply it affected you. I watched and read and saved newspapers from the OKC bombing, but it wasn't until I visited the memorial that the full impact really hit home.

Yeah, I'm 57 yrs old, and I have never smoked pot or tried any illegal drugs. And two-thirds of the people who I tell that look at you like you're the biggest liar on the planet, or you just escaped from Mars. But when we moved to a town in SE Kan, pop 2800, I thought it would be a good place to raise two teenagers, but the drug problem was worse there than any place I had lived before. It wasn't hard to find out who used and who sold, just had to keep your ears open. I think me and my spouse were about the only people who didn't smoke! Okay, that's exaggerating, but talk was cheap, and everybody listened except the cops. We knew a couple who made meth 3 blocks from PD, and never got busted. Guess it was too much work to arrest druggies. Either that or the cops were getting theirs for free! Now that the kids are 30, They've both told me they had smoked pot with more than one younger cop. And City Hall wonders why they can't keep good cops. I hope Pike county isn't the same way, but who knows? We lived at that town for 15 yrs, and there had not been a major drug bust there since 1993!

I'm 65 and have never smoked pot or used any recreational drugs. No one believes me, either...

Thank you Ann99 for the very descriptive drive you took,it was so clear I felt I was along with you. This only makes my thoughts that it was someone local much stronger. MOO

Continued down the road.

So very sad.

Thank you for making the trip, and giving us such good notes, Ann99.

I read your post, it reminded me of something that struck me as hilarious. I know a gal, who had one of those motorized carts, like they can ride on you know? Well... she got drunk, and was riding this thing down the street, on the sidewalk. Got picked up for Driving While Intoxicated. True story. LOL

That's hysterical!!:laughing: Someone got arrested here for riding their horse, on the highway, while they were intoxicated...

Yes a lot of people eat Mexican food but the difference might have been the type of food...to many Taco Bell is Mexican but real Mexicans would laugh at that

This is true. ;)

I do the exact same thing, I feel horrible for the Rhoden families and friends. I also have tried to read as much material that is published, newspapers, reporters, and especially when LE speaks. I, along with everyone wants this case solved. I just wish I had made more notes on the turkey hunter. I meant no harm nor disrespect to the family. Thank you Ob and rsd for taking time to reply. 
I didn't feel you were being disrespectful at all. We were talking about the comments sections of some of the MSM articles. Horrible things people have said. Smh. And some of the commentors on "T" word place, ugh. I won't even go there. It just makes me ill. WS folks are the most respectful folks I've ever been on a board with. I've been on some sites that were just cruel. :(

I'm 65 and have never smoked pot or used any recreational drugs. No one believes me, either...

:eek: ! That's incredible! I'm impressed! I led a fairly sheltered life until I left home fairly young. I'm pretty settled down now, but, I've lived a pretty colorful life. I've enjoyed it but I gave up a lot of my old ways, thanks be to God, and just enjoy a slower pace now. I'm surprised I'm still alive looking back. I have good stories to tell though! :)

I hope they didn't impound the horse! A few years ago, C'Vale cops arrested a guy for DWI on a riding lawn mower.

It does my heart good to read the different posts and realize that learning the habits and life-styles of people in different
stages of life and how they cope and adjust to hardships and eternal longings to eradicate poverty and survive..The posts that carried me down the dark and isolated streets where the slaughter took place gave me the opportunity to fix my pea mind
on obvious clues as to the mystery of this whole master killings..Also, I might add, the ever devout posts of rsd and others
That have a basic knowledge of the area and it's citizens makes for fine reading..Yes, by all means, track the number of
arrests before April, 22 and after that date up to today. See if an increase has appeared and type of arrest, Jmo.. Good
sleuths are more precious than gold.salome

LOL on a lawn mower!!!! 😂
Now that made me giggle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads