OH OH - Ruth Baumgardner, 21, Delaware, 4 May 1937

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Can someone try and find this clipping again? Doesn't that mean she was found or was it a hoax?

A detective said he was approached by a Pinkerton investigator and told to drop the case because the family had found and institutionalized her. Other authorities said that was hogwash. So there appears to be no definitive answer to this question that has been made public.

I don't know if the mental institutions would have records, but I do know that "inmates" at these institutions were listed on the census just like everyone else.

I'm guessing a search for Ruth on the 1940 has already been done, but perhaps there is someone with a variation of her name.

I'm a little confused with the detective agencies. I keep seeing that Pinkerton told police to stop investigating the case, but I've only seen Burns as the detective agency the Baumgardner's hired.

To be honest, they should reopen the case and get DNA samples from Ruth’s relatives because I’m tired of seeing this case and thinking it may never be solved. I still have a lot of hope that her disappearance can be solved and Ruth can be brought home to her family.

I'm not so sure her family wants her to be found.
To be honest, they should reopen the case and get DNA samples from Ruth’s relatives because I’m tired of seeing this case and thinking it may never be solved. I still have a lot of hope that her disappearance can be solved and Ruth can be brought home to her family.

Current Charley Project link:

Ruth Elizabeth Baumgardner – The Charley Project

Reads in part

Little evidence is available in Baumgardner's case. Her disappearance is no longer being investigated by police due to the passage of time, but her case remains a mystery.

Due to the passage of time -- not at the family's, or Pinkerton's request.

IDK?

JMHO YMMV

Ruth Elizabeth Baumgardner

Baumgardner, circa 1937

• Missing Since 05/04/1937
  • Missing From Delaware, Ohio
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Female
  • Race White
  • Age 22 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'5, 110 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description Possibly a brown suit, a sport hat, and brown suede ghillie shoes which tied at the ankle.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Blonde hair, blue/gray eyes. Baumgardner has an irregular light streak in the hair on the left side of her head and a dimple in her chin. Her nickname is Ruthie. Baumgardner has had bridgework done on her teeth.
Details of Disappearance

Baumgardner was a senior art major at Ohio Wesleyan University in 1937. She belonged to the Delta Delta Delta (or "Tri-Delt") sorority and lived alone in room 319 in Austin Hall on the Ohio Wesleyan campus. She resided with her parents in the 2000 block of Arthur Avenue in Lakewood, Ohio when she was not at college.

On the evening of her disappearance, Baumgardner practiced for a singing competition, then studied in her dormitory for a test which was scheduled the following day. Her sorority sisters last saw her shortly after 11:00 p.m. on May 4, 1937. She had her hair up in curlers and pins and was behaving normally at the time. Sometime before midnight she said goodbye to her friends. She has never been seen or heard from again.

The Tri-Delts alerted campus authorities about Baumgardner's disappearance at 10:30 p.m. the following day, when they realized she hadn't attended any of her classes. Subsequent investigation revealed that someone, probably Baumgardner herself, had left her dormitory room key on the back corner of an Austin Hall staircase between the second and third floors. Her new red Dodge was found parked undisturbed in its regular garage; the key was in the ignition.

Baumgardner's room was in perfect order, which is uncharacteristic of her. Her bed did not appear to have been slept in, her hair pins had been put away, and her pajamas and robe were hanging in the closet. The alarm clock had been set for 6:00 a.m. and had run down, indicating that she got up at that time on May 5 and left Austin Hall without being seen. She is believed to have been carrying an old handbag at the time, and probably no more then $5 in cash. Baumgardner's watch, sorority pin and some loose change were left behind in her room.

Initially it was believed that Baumgardner had suffered an amnesiac episode and wandered away from campus. The theory was bolstered by several reported sightings of her in the Delaware area in the days following her disappearance. None of the sightings were confirmed, however.

At the time she went missing, Baumgardner was worried about whether she would get enough credit hours to graduate on schedule, and in the last letter she wrote to her parents she stated that she had many things to and did not know how she was going to do them all, and she was "very, very tired." However, she was never located, which is unusual in cases of amnesiac disappearances.

Authorities investigated the possibility that Baumgardner left of her own accord, possibly with a boyfriend, since several of the reported sightings placed her with a young man. However, Baumgardner was happily engaged to her boyfriend in Lakewood and her friends did not believe she was seeing anyone else. There is also no evidence of foul play in her case, although a local resident living near the Ohio Wesleyan campus reported hearing screams between 2:00 and 3:00 a.m. on May 5.

Little evidence is available in Baumgardner's case. Her disappearance is no longer being investigated by police due to the passage of time, but her case remains a mystery.

Investigating Agency
  • None
Source Information

Hello Everyone! This is my first post and I'm excited to be here. I have been interested in this case for some time now. I happen to live about 2 miles from Austin Hall, now Austin Manor, where Ruth lived on the campus of Ohio Wesleyan University. Delaware is a somewhat quiet little college town and has been for years. In 1937 at the time of Ruth's disappearance, I imagine the town being even more quaint and quiet than it is today.

Although I'm somewhat late to this "Party", like many of you I have spent countless hours reading about, listening to theories, and researching Ruth's disappearance. It seems there are almost as many theories as there are decades past in this case and while some seem a bit farfetched there are a few that hold some water, at least in my opinion (for what its worth).

I have always been a bit baffled as to the silence, and almost secretive behavior of her family. Being a father, I have tried to put myself in Carl's shoes and I can almost understand a desperate want to "close the case" and move on. But with that said, I cannot imagine closing the case without truly knowing what happened to my daughter. Especially since the case was requested to be dropped after only 2 years of investigation. I certainly understand the frustration and pain that the Baumgardner's must of felt with every wild goose chasing lead and unsubstantiated claim. Having a glimmer of hope held in front of you time and time again only to have that glimmer squelched by the darkness of reality. It all had to be heartbreaking and emotionally draining for the Baumgardner family. Still, I don't think I could give up without knowing. Maybe I'm wrong and I hope that I never am in that situation, but I truly believe it would be something that I would relentlessly pursue until my dying days.

All of this leads me to believe that the Baumgardner's did get some concrete answers as to their daughters disappearance and whether it was as tragic as something like suicide, white slavery, an abortion gone wrong or as scandalous as a unwed pregnancy, forbidden love or a "nervous Breakdown" they chose to live with the secret as a family, tight lipped and unrelenting.

I also find it very intriguing that Ruth's fiancé, Harry "Bud" Moore, doesn't show up in more reports and articles. I was able to find a picture of a Harry Moore in the Lakewood High 1935 (I think that's the year) School Yearbook. I also was able to locate a marriage certificate for Harry and his wife Elizabeth C Coe in 1939. I find it interesting if not telling, that Bud waited until the same year as Ruth's father had closed the case to marry. Maybe Harry was in on the family secret at this time? Maybe I'm way off base here but it does seem a bit strange. One thing I do know for certain is that the more folks involved in a secret the greater the chances of the "cat" being let out of the bag. For his part, Harry appears to either not have known or was as tight lipped as the Baumgardner's, although, I truly don't know to what lengths was Harry pursued in this matter in the years to follow.

Another piece to the puzzle, whether it fits or not, that has always interested me is the two hoods from Pennsylvania. Peter Sereno and Bernard Musillo. Whether or not they were involved in the shooting of Ohio State Highway Patrol officer Conn or not I cannot say, but their links to the seedy underworld of somewhat organized crime in the tri-state area of Pennsylvania, Ohio and West Virginia is noted and outlined time and time again in the papers and research that I have done. One of their stomping grounds at the time seemed to be the Steubenville, Ohio area. Steubenville was one of a few places that Ruth was supposedly sited. As part of the White Slavery theory I believe Steubenville at the time would have definitely provided a straight from central casting backdrop. Steubenville in those years was known as a haven and staging ground for organized crime. It was within a relatively easy commute to Pennsylvania and even New York. It was known for its underworld connections and is a large piece of Mob history. It competed with Pittsburgh, PA and Wheeling, WV in a lot of different areas, not the least of which being crime. Some famous folks are from Steubenville, Dino Paul Crocetti (Dean Martin) and Jimmy The Greek to name a couple. A lot of folks who don't buy the White Slavery to Steubenville theory often site that there doesn't seem to be any connection to Ruth and this area, not to mention these two men. I have would argue that there is somewhat of a connection. In an article that I read regarding the last night that Ruth was seen at School, either one of her Sorority Sisters (it may have even been one of the girls who took a mysterious call for Ruth, i need to find this article again) or fellow dorm occupant was listed as being from "Steubenville".

I know this may seem a stretch and I do not wish to cast ominous dispersions on someone just because they're from a certain town, but if you think a bit broadly here this could be a link to Ruth and Steubenville. Going a bit deeper, if you were a young Sorority sister and you were in "trouble" who may you confide in? Who would you trust a secret? Maybe a fellow sister or classmate. If you were in trouble and needed certain services you could certainly get them in Steubenville at the time.

I will stop here for now but I just want to say that I am really looking forward to being part of this community and if anyone has any information at all about Ruth I would love to hear it and learn. I also would say that if anyone has any theories out there that may take a bit of local, on location leg work count me in. Let me know your ideas and how I may be able to help from here in Delaware, Ohio. I'm even within a couple of hours of Cleveland and Steubenville, and I'm always down for a road trip!

Thanks for reading

I also find it very intriguing that Ruth's fiancé, Harry "Bud" Moore, doesn't show up in more reports and articles. I was able to find a picture of a Harry Moore in the Lakewood High 1935 (I think that's the year) School Yearbook. I also was able to locate a marriage certificate for Harry and his wife Elizabeth C Coe in 1939. I find it interesting if not telling, that Bud waited until the same year as Ruth's father had closed the case to marry. Maybe Harry was in on the family secret at this time? Maybe I'm way off base here but it does seem a bit strange. One thing I do know for certain is that the more folks involved in a secret the greater the chances of the "cat" being let out of the bag. For his part, Harry appears to either not have known or was as tight lipped as the Baumgardner's, although, I truly don't know to what lengths was Harry pursued in this matter in the years to follow.
Actually, I think it's in the 1932 Lakewood High Yearbook I found Harry.

A number of years ago, in a previous thread about Ruth, a sleuther posted a clip from a newspaper. It was a report from a state police officer. It said Ruth had been found in Philadelphia, in a sex slave situation. She had been kidnapped & sold to a brothel. When found, she was returned to her parents, but it was decided at the time, put her into a mental health hospital. A few years later, I found a similar reference in an Ottawa Canada newspaper archive.
I found this: The Mysterious Disappearance Of Ruth Baumgardner
"Other’s think she was a victim of sex trafficking. This is backed up by the confession of a convicted criminal who claimed she was abducted, drugged and taken to a brothel in Pittsburgh.
This is further supported by claims from an officer that raided the brothel and explains why her family, which had hired the best detective agency available, asked that the case be closed after two years and suddenly refused to talk about the matter.
Money wasn’t an issue for them so calling off the search seems suspicious and coincides with a rumor that she was located and secretly admitted to an asylum to hide the shameful scandal of a drug addicted prostitute daughter."

Not really sure if this is true, however, as I've been unable to find the articles...

Also interesting is this article: https://storage.googleapis.com/gato...fBsBrs/jan-24-1938-middlesboro-daily-news.JPG

So many possibilities of what could have happened to Ruth Baumgardner. Why her parents requested to close her case seem to me they knew what happened? Whether it was sex trafficking, pregnancy, or runaway all were sad situations for Ruth who was at the beginning of her adult life. May she rest in peace.

So many possibilities of what could have happened to Ruth Baumgardner. Why her parents requested to close her case seem to me they knew what happened? Whether it was sex trafficking, pregnancy, or runaway all were sad situations for Ruth who was at the beginning of her adult life. May she rest in peace.
If she was trafficked... wouldn't the parents would her found and removed from this situation as parents do today? People genuinely loved children back in the 1930s..... . What am I missing?

I just found this case a few hours ago and spent the time reading the ENTIRE thread and now need to take a break and log off the site. I thought the case was solved . Yikes! Poor Ruth. Will we EVER know the truth? JMO MOO

I just found this case a few hours ago and spent the time reading the ENTIRE thread and now need to take a break and log off the site. I thought the case was solved . Yikes! Poor Ruth. Will we EVER know the truth? JMO MOO
The same thing happened to me I read the whole thread but in the end not a single trace of her poor girl I hope that one day the truth will be known.
rest in peace ruth

baumgartner_ruth2.jpg

Ruth Baumgardner
Missing since 4 May 1937

These two articles were added to Ruth’s NamUs on May 2nd, 2023. Her NamUs was modified today, 7/5/23. (No exclusions)

Ruth was in the Tri-Delta sorority. I recall seeing a JD post a couple days ago who was wearing a ring that could have been connected to Delta Ki or a chapter of the Delta Sorority but am unable to locate it now.

1688588298448.jpeg
1688588313514.jpeg

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member