OH OH - Ruth Baumgardner, 21, Delaware, 4 May 1937

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This is an article concerning the Peter Sereno trial. He was the shooter of Highway Patrolman George Conn. In the article they said Bernice Bradley had not been apprended. She would have been indicted in the murder too.

I'd love to know what that waitress was saying to LE before she stopped cooperating with them. It sounds like they knew where she was, or were very close to finding her more than once. I hate to think it, but I wonder if she was helping these men to "recruit" other women for sex trafficking. I sincerely hope not, but I know that situations like this are sadly not uncommon. Another scenario is that maybe she formed a relationship with one of the men and was living with him and/or possibly married to him (although, unless she changed her name, a marriage certificate would be available). If she was found, would it have been possible for her family to have her committed to a mental hospital against her will? I'm not too familiar with the laws regarding having someone committed (especially back then). She was over 21, but I guess it could have been possible for her family to have her committed. They may have found her, realized what had happened, and decided that she needed to be institutionalized. It's a shame that her sister's family members aren't willing to share what they know. I'm sure that they know what her fate was.

It is possible that she is still alive. She could have changed her name if she got out of the hospital (or never went into a hospital at all). She'd be very, very old, but it is possible. I hope that she got to live her life in a happier way after this horrible crime.

I wonder if Ruth went to meet Bernice that fateful morning and the 4 men abducted her as you say for sexual purposes.

Someone in either Ruth's family, her fiancee's family, or Bernice's family know the truth. Maybe it is just too shamefull for the family to tell.

I wonder if Ruth went to meet Bernice that fateful morning and the 4 men abducted her as you say for sexual purposes.

Someone in either Ruth's family, her fiancee's family, or Bernice's family know the truth. Maybe it is just too shamefull for the family to tell.

That's kind of what I think too, regarding the family not speaking. IMO, it's not shameful, but I can understand why they might feel the need for privacy regarding this.

What I can't figure out is Ruth's connection to Sereno (or was it Masulla that she knew?). They obviously seem to have run in two very different worlds. At that time, was there a lot of mingling of young people from obviously different social classes? Sereno and Masulla seem to have come from a lower class background. Ruth seemed to be from an upper-middle class background. She was studying at a university (something not terribly common for women at that time unless they were from a higher social class), engaged to be married and living in a sorority house. How would she have met these guys? I doubt they were all attending the same parties. I wonder if one of these guys worked in a business she shopped in, or on campus? What was Bernice's background? Where was she from? I tried to find some info, but there doesn't appear to be very much. Figuring out Ruth's connection to these people (other than their abduction/imprisonment of her) might help solve this mystery.

I thought it was stated on here but according to court documents from the trial, Ruth knew her kidnapper (one of the guys, can't remember which one) and they planned to meet, and then they kidnapped her. She struggled and one of the guys in the back of the car injected her with something to calm her down.

I thought it was stated on here but according to court documents from the trial, Ruth knew her kidnapper (one of the guys, can't remember which one) and they planned to meet, and then they kidnapped her. She struggled and one of the guys in the back of the car injected her with something to calm her down.

That makes sense. I had thought she might have gone to meet one of the guys too. At that time upper and middle class white people didn't mingle with Italians. I have an older Italian friend and she said they were looked down on. She is 80. She came from New York and her parents came over from Italy. I know different cultures were divided in locations in New York (Italians in one area, Puerto Ricans another, etc. So I feel like she would have been condemned for seeing an Italian man. Especially one who wasn't rich and upper class!

I'll go back and read Claudette's quotes. Thanks. I thought I had read all of them but I must have missed that. I wonder is there is a way to find out if Ruth was declared dead by the courts. If her body had been found I would think we would be able to locate a newspaper article about it.

What do you think?

That makes sense. I had thought she might have gone to meet one of the guys too. At that time upper and middle class white people didn't mingle with Italians. I have an older Italian friend and she said they were looked down on. She is 80. She came from New York and her parents came over from Italy. I know different cultures were divided in locations in New York (Italians in one area, Puerto Ricans another, etc. So I feel like she would have been condemned for seeing an Italian man. Especially one who wasn't rich and upper class!

I'll go back and read Claudette's quotes. Thanks. I thought I had read all of them but I must have missed that. I wonder is there is a way to find out if Ruth was declared dead by the courts. If her body had been found I would think we would be able to locate a newspaper article about it.

What do you think?

I agree. I am half-Italian, and I know for a fact that Italians were looked down upon during that time. My father's family moved to California after they lived in Boston for a few years. When they moved, they decided to change their last name to something that they thought was more American and definitely not Italian-sounding. My father and his siblings were encouraged to speak only English. There was no Italian community in the town where they lived, so I think this was done so they wouldn't be ostracized. It's actually pretty sad because my father was never able to communicate with his grandmother, who came to live with them a few years later.

I think that Ruth must have somehow met (I think it was Sereno) and perhaps was considering running off with him. It would definitely have been a scandal for her. Based on what I've read, they seemed to live in two completely different worlds. I'm sure her parents would not have approved at all. I'm curious about where and how they met initially. I'd also like to know what happened to Sereno. It sounds like he did not serve a life sentence in prison like Masulla. I also recall reading that Ruth's parents just called off the investigation. I don't remember ever seeing anything about a body.

I agree. I am half-Italian, and I know for a fact that Italians were looked down upon during that time. My father's family moved to California after they lived in Boston for a few years. When they moved, they decided to change their last name to something that they thought was more American and definitely not Italian-sounding. My father and his siblings were encouraged to speak only English. There was no Italian community in the town where they lived, so I think this was done so they wouldn't be ostracized. It's actually pretty sad because my father was never able to communicate with his grandmother, who came to live with them a few years later.

I think that Ruth must have somehow met (I think it was Sereno) and perhaps was considering running off with him. It would definitely have been a scandal for her. Based on what I've read, they seemed to live in two completely different worlds. I'm sure her parents would not have approved at all. I'm curious about where and how they met initially. I'd also like to know what happened to Sereno. It sounds like he did not serve a life sentence in prison like Masulla. I also recall reading that Ruth's parents just called off the investigation. I don't remember ever seeing anything about a body.

I wonder if Sereno was the high voiced man who called Ruth at the sorority house right before she disapeared.

It probably was Sereno. I've tried to locate something on him after the trial but haven't been successful. He was acquitted so he didn't go to prison then.
A real mystery............

It probably was Sereno. I've tried to locate something on him after the trial but haven't been successful. He was acquitted so he didn't go to prison then.
A real mystery............

Thanks JeannieC for all your research.... I am so bad at that kind of thing...

It seems to me someone like him would have been in and out of trouble his whole life, which should make it easier to track his where abouts.
Unless, like Ruth he got himself mixed up with the wrong type of crowd and was in over his head as well. Maybe like Ruth, he tried to move on from this without anyone knowing. Although, I tend to believe he probably fit right into that crowd.

Thanks, but I just got lucky. I'm still learning. I think he might have gone to prison for something else or stayed under the radar...........

I agree with you both that Sereno was probably the one who called the sorority house looking for Ruth. Even though he didn't get a life sentence like Masulla, it seems like he wouldn't have been able to get far from the world of crime. I would have also guessed that he'd end up in and out of jail. The only thing I can think of is that he may have gotten killed at some point. I don't imagine he got far from the Pittsburgh/OH area, and I doubt he ended up just getting a job and settling down with a wife and kids. Maybe one of these days another news article will come up in our searches that will provide answers.

I bet it was Bernice. Maybe they took Ruth to Wheeling, W Va instead of Pittsburgh.............

Nice going!

This article (Nov 21, 1938) tells what happened after the trial to the rest of the gang.

They are still looking for Bernice and intend to arrest and try her in the Conn murder.

Sereno is going to prison 3 to 6 yr term in Alleghany for a workhouse robbery. What is a workhouse?

Johnson is doing 1 to 20 in the Ohio Penn for a hold up at Martin's Ferry.

Ford in under sentence to a Penn reformatory for auto theft.

LOOKS LIKE BERNICE WAS SERENO'S GIRLFRIEND.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?i...6gMAAAAIBAJ&dq=bernice-bradley&pg=6798,222362

June 17, 1938
Looks like Peter Sereno is in a Alleghany county Pa.workhouse and it is a jail.
He fought extradiction for the murder trial in Ohio.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back