OH OH - Thomas Wayne Grant, 29, Cleveland, Nov 16, 1976

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Betty P

Reaction score
Thomas Wayne Grant - Murdered Nov 16, 1976
Park Centre Apartments - Cleveland, OH

Thomas-Wayne-Grant-at-his-graduation-from-Boston-university-with-his-law-degree.-Courtesy-of-the-Grant-Family..jpg

Photo credit: Defrosting Cold Cases

I recently came across Thomas' case at Defrosting Cold Cases.

Thomas Grant was a hard-working, promising young attorney who was looking forward to a bright future. He was brutally murdered in the early morning of November 16, 1976 and his killer has never been apprehended. Worse, his story and cold case details have all but disappeared from the public record. Defrosting Cold Cases featured his story in July of last year using details provided by his family, including old newspaper clippings from the Cleveland Plain Dealer. You can find a detailed summary of his case at this link:

Unsolved: Thomas Wayne Grant - Defrosting Cold Cases

Upon graduating from Boston University with his law degree, Thomas returned to his hometown of Cleveland, OH. Intelligent and ambitious, he was soon practicing law at one of the most prestigious law firms in Ohio, Squire Sanders & Dempsey. He had a dream job, a nice car and for the last 3 years had been living in the new, fashionable (and secure) Park Centre Apartments in downtown Cleveland.

In the afternoon of Tuesday, November 16, 1976, Thomas was found in the bathroom of his apartment, kneeling with his face in a few inches of water in the bathtub. He had several wounds to his face and head, his skull was fractured and he had been strangled possibly with an electrical wire that was found dangling from his neck. He was still dressed in jeans and shirt and his empty wallet was found nearby. Investigators later surmised he'd been struck with a large wooden gavel found nearby.

The apartment showed no signs of struggle and, because it was a secure building with a 24 hr guard on duty, any visitor would have to be accompanied by Thomas or sent to his apartment with his permission. Thomas' body was found by his former roommate, Donald Cook (age 22), who immediately called police.

Police discovered Thomas had been spotted the night before at two downtown nightclubs. He was seen leaving one of them, Twiggy's Place, at 2:00 am. When interviewed the next day, the manager of the club declined to give his name and said he didn't know him. Twiggy's Place, a popular downtown nightclub, was one of Cleveland's most popular gay bars in the 70's, catering to both gay and straight clientele. At the time, many in the gay community may have been reluctant to talk to police or publicly identify themselves, so important clues may have been missed.

Thomas' roommate was questioned, but the investigation went nowhere. No suspects were named. The story disappeared from the local Cleveland Plain Dealer after 3 days. Today, Thomas' case isn't even listed in the Ohio Attorney General's Cold Case web site.

I found a brief, one sentence news blurb about Thomas Grant's murder in the Novembe 17 issue of the Akron Beacon Journal.

17 Nov 1976, Page 21 - The Akron Beacon Journal at Newspapers.com

Thomas Grant's murder was a tragic loss to his friends and family, but also to his community. In addition to his work at Squire, Sanders & Dempsey, he volunteered his services at the Legal Aid Society, providing free legal assistance to low income people in need. He was a great person whose loss is still felt and it would be an honor to help re-open his case and bring his killer to justice. Who killed Thomas Wayne Grant?

There are more details and some good theories offered at Defrosting Cold Cases

Unsolved: Thomas Wayne Grant - Defrosting Cold Cases

Last edited:
Just checked out Defrosting Cold Cases. Very cool site! Thanks Betty P!

Yes, they have a good page on Thomas Grant's case.

I wonder what it would take to get this case re-opened? Surely, they saved the evidence. Perhaps there's some DNA to be tested.

Reactions: mrz
I wonder what it would take to get this case re-opened? Surely, they saved the evidence. Perhaps there's some DNA to be tested.

Man oh man I would hope they saved enough to get that DNA. Seems like a pretty violent encounter.

Man oh man I would hope they saved enough to get that DNA. Seems like a pretty violent encounter.

Yes, it was. Sounds like someone who knew him and who was very angry. I wonder if there are witnesses who would be willing to come forward today? Perhaps someone saw him leave the nightclub in the company of his killer? Was he meeting someone that night? Assume the police checked out his roommate, so perhaps it was someone else? His family is still seeking answers.

The bathtub setup seems very strange to me. Those skull fractures make me feel like the attacker was male.

The bathtub setup seems very strange to me. Those skull fractures make me feel like the attacker was male.

True, it would have taken quite a bit of strength to fracture someone's skull with a wooden gavel. Whomever it was, they tried 3 different ways to kill him - strangulation, blunt force trauma and possibly, drowning.

I still keep wondering what the security guard at his apartment building saw that night. Perhaps Thomas had a key or card of some type that allowed him to open a security door without checking in with security. It's said in the PD article that an unidentified fingerprint was found on his sports car. Did someone return with him to his apartment in order to rob and murder him? Was he targeted by someone he met at the disco? Had similar crimes happened around that time, but went unreported?

Any gay serial killers known to be working that area around that time period?

Can't find any reference to it, but it's possible. The Cleveland Plain Dealer archives are notoriously difficult to access. The portal at their web site doesn't seem to be working. Probably need to search them down at the library.

This is one of my suspicions as well. At that time, it would have been difficult to get people in that community to come forward with information. 1976 in Cleveland, many gay people would be reluctant to identify themselves or discuss this crime with LE. However, it wasn't that long ago and there may still be some people out there with information.

I still keep wondering what the security guard at his apartment building saw that night

Indeed. I can't help but wonder how reliable and professional some of these security guards/gates/protocols really are. I live in a gated apartment community, and it is a joke. People piggy back to get in the "key card required"gates all the time. 4 foot fencing is easily jumped over. That guard could have been dreaming sweet dreams while any foul play was happening.

Indeed. I can't help but wonder how reliable and professional some of these security guards/gates/protocols really are. I live in a gated apartment community, and it is a joke. People piggy back to get in the "key card required"gates all the time. 4 foot fencing is easily jumped over. That guard could have been dreaming sweet dreams while any foul play was happening.

Park Centre Apartments were still fairly new in 1976. IIRC, they were built in 1972 and were part of a larger complex of offices, shops, restaurants, etc. Reserve Square Apartments were also part of that development. Back in the 70's, that was a desirable apartment location for young professionals.

Park Centre :: Postcards of Cleveland

There should have been more than one security guard down there, but who knows? Some parts of downtown were in decline at that time, but have since been revitalized. Nearby Playhouse Square is fantastic now, but was undergoing renovation back then.

Today, I think the building is called Bohn Tower

Bohn Towers - Wikipedia

Bohn Tower Apartments - Cleveland, OH | Apartments.com

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads