OH - Todd Morgan, 41, murdered in his home, Cleveland State professor, shot in head/torso - Hudson, 19 Apr 2023

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
There is so little news coverage of this case! I'm very interested to find out motive and the history between these two, if any, but I suppose we will have to wait for the (probably equally poorly publicized) trial.
Agree. It apparently, is a secret (the best kept secret) ... no one writes about it? Maybe to protect minor kids, idk.
I am so curious to know any details about a relationship (if there was any) between TS and TH. jmo

Suspect admits to killing Cleveland State prof in his Hudson home

CLEVELAND, Ohio – A Cleveland woman admitted Wednesday to killing a Cleveland State University professor in his home in Hudson last year.

Terreionna Paschal, 32, pleaded guilty to aggravated murder with a gun specification in the death of Todd Morgan, 41. She entered the plea on the day that she was to go to trial. Summit County Common Pleas Judge Alison Breaux will sentence Paschal on Thursday.

Authorities said Paschal shot and killed Morgan on April 19, 2023. A prosecutor’s spokesman did not indicate how the two were acquainted, saying only that they knew each other “for a limited time prior to the shooting.”

The spokesman said authorities were able to link Paschal to the case through phone records, mobile apps, DNA and ballistics.

W

Suspect admits to killing Cleveland State prof in his Hudson home

CLEVELAND, Ohio – A Cleveland woman admitted Wednesday to killing a Cleveland State University professor in his home in Hudson last year.

Terreionna Paschal, 32, pleaded guilty to aggravated murder with a gun specification in the death of Todd Morgan, 41. She entered the plea on the day that she was to go to trial. Summit County Common Pleas Judge Alison Breaux will sentence Paschal on Thursday.

Authorities said Paschal shot and killed Morgan on April 19, 2023. A prosecutor’s spokesman did not indicate how the two were acquainted, saying only that they knew each other “for a limited time prior to the shooting.”

The spokesman said authorities were able to link Paschal to the case through phone records, mobile apps, DNA and ballistics.
Well, it looks like they offered her a nice plea deal so they could cover up the details of the professor's murder. That's very suspicious.

It will be interesting to see what kind of sentence Paschal receives. JMO, this whole thing seem shady. Someone pulled a lot of strings to hide the reason why the professor was murdered and what he and the killer were up to.

W

Well, it looks like they offered her a nice plea deal so they could cover up the details of the professor's murder. That's very suspicious.

It will be interesting to see what kind of sentence Paschal receives. JMO, this whole thing seem shady. Someone pulled a lot of strings to hide the reason why the professor was murdered and what he and the killer were up to.
I don't know about that. I imagine they offered her the plea well before trial was set to begin, and she chose to take it today, probably at the urging of her own attorney. Why would the prosecutors waste all that time preparing for trial only to offer a last minute plea deal?

TM was an assistant professor of management at the business school at Cleveland State, I doubt he was privy to any secrets worth covering up.

I will be disappointed if we never find out motive in this crime.

W

Thank you for sharing this info, @Betty P.
I appreciate your transparency.
I wasn't able to read the posted article or any other online article because of my .
I wondered why all of a sudden ... out of the blue... she entered a plea day of jury selection.
Seemed like something was up. Wow.

I don't know about that. I imagine they offered her the plea well before trial was set to begin, and she chose to take it today, probably at the urging of her own attorney. Why would the prosecutors waste all that time preparing for trial only to offer a last minute plea deal?

TM was an assistant professor of management at the business school at Cleveland State, I doubt he was privy to any secrets worth covering up.

I will be disappointed if we never find out motive in this crime.

A plea deal in a case like this isn't a surprise. What's problematic is the sealing of the case file so none of the details are made public. Even when a plea deal is made with a defendant, the case file usually remains accessible to the public.

I wasn't able to read the posted article or any other online article because of my .
I wondered why all of a sudden ... out of the blue... she entered a plea day of jury selection.

TBH, defendants often wait until the last minute to accept a plea deal, even up to the minute the jury is ready to be seated. That part doesn't surprise me too much, though I'll wait to see what sentence the killer is given. She had quite a past record of violent criminal activity. She's a dangerous person.

But it seems a bit shady to seal the file on the crime. That's usually only done for a good reason.

I was on a jury selection panel about a month ago. The case was “resolved” just as we were getting started. I assume that just before trial is when all the maneuvering ends and the defence decides to plead or play based on what’s on the table.

A plea deal in a case like this isn't a surprise. What's problematic is the sealing of the case file so none of the details are made public. Even when a plea deal is made with a defendant, the case file usually remains accessible to the public.
Didn't Todd Morgan have two young children, and a former partner? Maybe it's for their sake the case file has been sealed, it's been enough of a trauma that their father was murdered, perhaps not give out more information for people to gossip about.

AKRON, Ohio — Terreionna Paschal, a 32-year-old woman who pleaded guilty to killing Cleveland State University professor Todd Morgan at his home in Hudson, has learned her fate.

During sentencing in Akron on Thursday morning, a judge ordered Paschal to serve 23 years to life behind bars.

Paschal also offered the following brief statement before learning her punishment: “To his family, I’m very sorry and hope that one day that you can find it in your hearts to forgive me.”

We streamed the entire sentencing, which you can watch in full below:

At link

STATEMENTS IN COURT​

There were multiple victim impact statements made at Thursday's sentencing hearing, including emotional comments from the victim's mother. You can watch some of those statements in the videos below:

“Todd’s not here to tell his story," his mother said in court. "Only God, Todd and you know the truth of what happened on April 19. All I know, he was brutally murdered by you and he basically died for nothing. You didn’t even know him. Your actions to take my son’s life changed my life forever. It’s changed all of our lives. Even more so, you took a father from two beautiful children. They were his world and he was theirs.”

Morgan's mother, who spoke for more than 10 minutes, addressed Paschal directly.

At link...

Didn't Todd Morgan have two young children, and a former partner? Maybe it's for their sake the case file has been sealed, it's been enough of a trauma that their father was murdered, perhaps not give out more information for people to gossip about.
As difficult as that situation might be, our courts and criminal legal proceedings require transparency to protect the public. It's a slippery slope. Sealing court records in civil cases, especially in family court where minors are affected, is justified. Undoubtedly, there are times when criminal court records need to be sealed, but they should be well justified and rare.

What happens when this defendant is released from jail at some future date. They'll remain a risk to the public, but unsuspecting individuals, future employers, perhaps even a parole board might never see the details of their crime.

It's a light sentence, jmo.
The poor family of Todd Morgan. It is extremely sad for his kids.

TP did the right thing by taking accountability. Here is what the Judge said:

“There’s nothing that the court can do to make this better, to make this OK, to make this any easier," the judge said to the victim's family shortly before announcing the sentence. "I will say that the avoidance of a trial is a benefit to everyone because it is an extremely traumatic experience for everyone involved. There would be images and things that you would have to see that you could never un-see. And so I appreciate Miss Paschal for taking responsibility for this and making it so that the family does not have to go through any additional trauma based on the actions that occurred back in April of 2023.”

AKRON, Ohio — Terreionna Paschal, a 32-year-old woman who pleaded guilty to killing Cleveland State University professor Todd Morgan at his home in Hudson, has learned her fate.

During sentencing in Akron on Thursday morning, a judge ordered Paschal to serve 23 years to life behind bars.

Paschal also offered the following brief statement before learning her punishment: “To his family, I’m very sorry and hope that one day that you can find it in your hearts to forgive me.”

We streamed the entire sentencing, which you can watch in full below:

At link

It's a relief she'll be sent away for a while. From reading her criminal record, she seems like a very dangerous, violent person. Totally without caution or remorse. I hope she doesn't end up back on the street 10 years from now, when she's still at risk of victimizing someone else.

Prayers for his family that they can recover from their terrible loss.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kwanyin2#
Back