GUILTY OH - Two women & child killed, 13yo abducted, Apple Valley, 10 Nov 2010 #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
http://www.thestar.com/news/article/895754--russell-williams-suv-spotted-by-police-before-jessica-lloyd-killed?bn=1

Here is an unrelated, but similar, case in that a police officer did a check on a house, knocked on the door, got no answer and left... and the woman in the home was in danger... and ended up murdered. It must be a terrible burden on officers when this happens. If the police protocols do not suggest that any further action is warranted, then IMO we cannot expect more from the individual officers. Just sad to know that help was so close and just a bit further investigation may have saved lives.

From TV10, about fire at TH's home... fire started under pile of clothing? So, just a sick prank?

"Firefighters said the blaze appeared to have started under a pile of clothing beneath the home's front porch, causing some damage to the porch and siding.

It was not clear what sparked the fire and authorities would not say if it was considered suspicious. No one was home at the time."

http://www.10tv.com/live/content/local/stories/2010/11/23/story-howard-fire-at-tina-herrmann-home.html?sid=102

ETA - video accompanying story has some touching interviews with family & friends of SS.

Also interesting to me is that drivers going by reporters are honking their horns to express their displeasure at the media being there. Really brings home to me that this community and these families are exhausted by the media attention, and want some measure of privacy while they grieve. So, for now, I'm backing off following this case because I want to honour their right to mourn without an audience.

Arrested in Co. 2001
6 years in jail
Moved to Ohio 2007
He had paid about $4,800 toward $2.06 million in restitution (approx 150 per month)
Which he had to have done or it would have been a parole violation. Must have had scheduled visits with PO, and some home visits as well.
Off of parole last month but, not free of restitution.

Hoffman's neighbors along Columbus Road said that he moved into the five-bedroom home about a year ago - 2009 (approx mortgage on 30,000 +/- payments 500 to 700 hundred month? Depending on variables)

Mother said he hasn’t lived with them for two years

Owned a car

Only one job known so far with Fast Eddies? For 3 weeks?

Who’s been paying his bills?? Likely amounting to +/- $1000.00 a month minimum.
Did other odd jobs? Plumbing maybe? Tree trimming maybe?
Played with neighborhood kids, swung on ropes in trees, etc….
Seems to me there would be more people around there that knew MH.
I wonder what the inside of MH’s house looks like? A girl and her 8 year old son lived there at some point?
Psychopaths can be excellent at deceiving people, even the people that are treating them, if they are receiving treatment.

Neighbor said he was good with computers, wonder did LE confiscate one? And what’s on it?
Computer at parents home?
Neighbor said she saw pictures on his cell phone, does LE have that too? And what’s on it?

To many unanswered questions.

Really brings home to me that this community and these families are exhausted by the media attention, and want some measure of privacy while they grieve. So, for now, I'm backing off following this case because I want to honour their right to mourn without an audience.

Every time I thought about listening to scanner archives yesterday, after I realized it was the day of their visitations and (today the) funerals, I just couldn't bring myself to listen back. I've just been mentally stalled and am trying hard to distract myself elsewhere. So I understand.

Will return to the archives soon ... missing pieces need found, and I want to find them. I'm watching for any big news, but mentally stalled/need mental rest (for today at least) ... may their family and friends find comfort with each other today.

p.s. I did read on FB that someone went to TH and KM's visitation (yesterday) and SM was there. She appeared to be holding up well, smiling and talking, hugging people. FYI ... May she continue to find the strength.

MH's house is natural gas according to the realtor site from when the home was sold. Interestingly enough, the realtor who had the 49 Columbus Road listing is the same as the one who listed TH/GB home.

Made me wonder if perhaps MH viewed the TH house while it was listed. Possible, but not likely IMO.

http://www.knoxcountyohio.com/property/49-Columbus-Road-Mount-Vernon-Ohio

Furthermore -
This shot shows all three homes and their relation to one another.
No telling who all MH had watched in the period after he was released from prison.
It’s possible he’s been in several homes out there, and no one even knew.
Ya know - Parents off to work, MH hanging out all day by himself, wondering around, poking into things………

And no one is saying (don’t blame em’) MH may have been recently spending some time back and fourth at his parents home, his elec. was off - Bathing? Eating dinner? Washing clothes? Who knows? ( his house could of been partly gas though?)
But he may have been over there a lot.

I really don’t think his parents in anyway had any clue about any of this, or even MH’s activities.
He was 30 yrs old! His parents likely tried to stay out of his business, and still be supportive if they could.
His parents are probably devastated. I feel terrible for them. MH has made them victims too.

This a high school picture of the correct monster:

0035ty7r

http://druzifer.livejournal.com/489785.html

Yep antiquegirl that’s the HS pic! He was, and I repeat WAS a cute kid.

I would really like to know more about MH’s past.
Not that it would change anything now, unfortunately.
But it almost seems like he went from 0 to 60, in 0.4 seconds when he moved back to OH in 2007.
There has to be much, much more to his story.
Even the few people that have come forward, to speak anything about him, have all been shocked that he committed this crime. Other than saying he was odd, quiet, or weird.
There is a lot of people that are odd, quiet or weird, and they don’t commit heinous crimes of this nature.
Some other factor was at play here in combo with a psychopathic personality and being mentally ill. That’s pretty much a given.

It is unfathomable that people like this can just come out of nowhere, and just devastate so many peoples lives, and a whole community.

I will always just feel terrible for those poor families. It will take years to get over it, if they are even able to.

Yep antiquegirl that’s the HS pic! He was, and I repeat WAS a cute kid.

I would really like to know more about MH’s past.
Not that it would change anything now, unfortunately.
But it almost seems like he went from 0 to 60, in 0.4 seconds when he moved back to OH in 2007.
There has to be much, much more to his story.
Even the few people that have come forward, to speak anything about him, have all been shocked that he committed this crime. Other than saying he was odd, quiet, or weird.
There is a lot of people that are odd, quiet or weird, and they don’t commit heinous crimes of this nature.
Some other factor was at play here in combo with a psychopathic personality and being mentally ill. That’s pretty much a given.

It is unfathomable that people like this can just come out of nowhere, and just devastate so many peoples lives, and a whole community.

I will always just feel terrible for those poor families. It will take years to get over it, if they are even able to.

Nothing has been mentioned if anything (electronics, jewellery, etc.) were missing from TH's home after they went missing. I'm trying to find a motive here. Even organized psychopaths (as opposed to disorganized psychopaths) have a motive, whether it be sexual, greed, jealousy, revenge, etc. (Many go through their lifetimes without killing anyone.) Since the autopsies showed no signs of sexual assault, it would point to another reason. Yet these other reasons can only be explained if there was a prior relationship between MH and one of the victims, or if items had been stolen.

Disorganized psychopaths generally cannot control themselves, get into physical altercations all the time, and often kill out of rage. IMHO, if MH fits into this category, he would not have a clean record since his release from prison. Everything points to either an organized psychopathy or a mental illness. If the latter is the case, it may be used as a legal defense. If robbery was the motive, there should be items missing from the home.

JMO

I too want to learn more of MH's history.Have you guys listened to that radio interview with the prosecutor from Colo. per the arson??(this was linked to a few threads back, don't recall exactly when)he was adamant about the extreme destructive overkill kind of character of that fire.MH was off the rails at that point- was convicted,and served 7yrs.- years in prison do not usually improve a violent criminal's behavior.His behavior since returning to Oh. sounds bizarre,he is good looking, and some say "polite" enough to get by for a while in society.

I’m thinking more will come out after GJ. Or at least a trial, if there is one.
He could do everyone some justice and just plead guilty, and take the DP! IMO

But it is interesting how these people, turn out to be THESE people. And sickening as well.
Each and everyone, seems so different, yet the same, at the same time! How the heck is that?

Fortunately these types don’t come along to often, just to bizarre that they could be so off the map.
Maybe he’ll talk someday. Dahmer did. Little did it help though, no one still could fathom it.
Thank goodness.

MH is a weird one,obviously beyond weird, but he's not really behaving like a text book organized sociopath killer-with the telling where the bodies were, and the bizarre behavior around the neighborhood before hand.I bet his mother has alot of insight into his peculiar mind set.We all try to "understand" this-to somehow "make sense" of this I think it's human nature to keep asking why?

I would be satisfied with LWOP if that meant no trial. Sarah would not have to worry for the next year or two about testifying, she could start to begin the long process of reinventing her life...the community could start to heal, tons of money would be saved. I think the only decent thing John Gardner in CA ever did was plead guilty and let LE find Amber...his crimes are no less horrendous, but the familes have been spared the added pain of a trial. I wish this guy would do the same. The DP takes 20 years anyway, and by that time, laws may change, he may get communted to life anyway.

Science needs to examine his brain, however and whenever he dies...

From same article:

"Once additional charges are filed, Malek said it could be up to the Knox County Commissioners as to how Hoffman’s defense proceeds.In the event that murder charges are filed, former county public defender Rick Mayhew is available for consultation, Malek said. Mayhew is certified as the first chair for indigent death penalty cases. Malek said he is certified as second chair.
If a capital murder case is filed, the county commissioners would then be responsible in contracting for the case.“Hopefully, these cases don’t occur very often. We believe that to keep an attorney on a retainer would be more costly than to use their services on an individual basis,” said Knox County Commissioner Allen Stockberger."

interesting. His fate is in the hands of the county?

Science needs to examine his brain, however and whenever he dies...

With all the MRI's etc....his brain can be studied while alive............
then just forget the suicide watch after he tells all.
Then no trial and they can reexamine his brain then too...........

For Sarah's sake, I would go with LWOP, but prepfer the DP.
He's only 30...........we have to feed, clothe and hospitalize
this creep for 50 years with tax dollars???

Did we ever find out WHY he went to CO in the first place?

He seemed semi normal in HS?

Wents nuts about arson in CO..........jail time........

Then back to family again in OH and practically lived next door???

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back