OK - Brandy McCaslin kills her 3 children in murder-suicide after supervised visit leads to standoff with police - July 22, 2023

Brandy-McCaslin-and-her-children.jpeg

The scene unfolded late Thursday afternoon at a home in Verdigris, one of the fastest-growing areas in the Sooner State, and a town on historic U.S. Route 66 — now State Highway 66.

A police officer saw the pyrotechnic display of a Roman candle coming from or near the garage of a residence at the corner of East Dogwood Court and Cypress Street, Tulsa-based NBC affiliate KJRH and Oklahoma City-based CBS affiliate KWTV reported.

Those fireworks clued the responding officer into an ongoing hostage situation inside the house, the Verdigris Police Department reportedly said. The first officer called for backup. Inside the residence, a woman was being held at gunpoint, police said.

“Negotiations quickly began, as they worked to make contact with 39-year-old Brandy McCaslin,” the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation wrote in a press release on Friday afternoon. “A stand-off ensued for the next three hours. After no response, officers made entry into the home, where they found McCaslin, along with her three children, dead inside. The children included a ten-month-old, as well as a six and eleven-year-old. It was determined that McCaslin shot all three kids and then turned the weapon on herself.”

The children were identified as 10-month-old Billy, 6-year-old Bryce, and 11-year-old Noe.

Here:

Absolutely devastating. I’m sure that I’ve said this before but still cannot grasp this “mother’s” mentality. I grew up very close to this area and am floored by the recent murder-suicides. I can count five recent murder suicides in this area off the top of my head 1) this one in Verdigris where 3 children were likely killed by their own “mother;” 2) 11-year-old and his grandfather likely killed by grandmother in Muskogee; 3) 6 children and their mother killed by the father in Broken Arrow; 4) wife killed by husband in Broken Arrow; and 5) the wife, 3 children, and 2 friends killed by the husband in Henryetta. Sadly, tonight while I’m down in Florida, I hear of yet another one where guy kills his pregnant girlfriend and then himself. Why? What is going on?

Moo..this one is jealousy anger motive. Baby Billy was the only one she was getting visitation with, her other 2 children lived with her.<modsnip>.....moo

Last edited by a moderator:
Billy Jacobson Sr., the father of one of the boys who was killed, says he knew something like this would happen because it almost happened earlier this year.

"There was an incident in January where Brandy tried to commit suicide and they actually had to wrestle the gun out of her hand. Her nephew did and it was unsafe. I knew. I went and filed for emergency custody," Jacobson said.

He says the courts ordered supervised visits after Billy's mother received therapy, but he still didn't think it was safe for his son.

"She just asked. She said 'can I... can I have unsupervised visitation with my son back?' And he just gave it to her," Jacobson said.

Police say the visit on Thursday was to be supervised, but it didn't stop Brandy McCaslin from killing her three kids and herself.

"There was nothing I could do and I basically watched my son fade from my hands because I knew something was going to happen and no one would help us," Jacobson said.

"We gotta have some checks and balances and some accountability when it comes to mental health in this state because as it sits now it cost my baby his life and cost two of the kids I considered my children their lives too," Jacobson said.

Relatives are calling for lawmakers to make changes to prevent this from happening again.

1690096991565.jpeg
On Facebook, he wrote yesterday: "There's something I want everyone to be clear about. When Brandy McCaslin tried to commit suicide in January. She tried to change my son's name because she was mad at me because I wasn't coming back to her. His name was Billy from day one.

"I never stopped calling him anything but that and it was wrong of her to do so. Out of respect to me and my son, who had no choice in the loss of his life due to his mother. Please do not refer to my child as anything but Billy. He deserves that."
One of the McCaslin children with baby Billy
'
The best big sister in the world,' McCaslin had said of her daughter (
One of the McCaslin children with baby Billy

One person wrote: "Your sweet Billy is adorable! I don't know any of you but I just can't imagine (despite past headlines regarding other similar tragedies) a parent or ANYONE harming a child!

"My heart aches for yours and the [family's] losses! R.I.P. little Billy and the other children as well. You are with Jesus now and those that love you will be comforted by your memories as they make sure your legacy lives on!"

Another added: "My heart goes out to you and the entire family. I’m so sorry that this happened to you. May God bring you strength in your time of grief. My heart is broken over this."

Posts on McCaslin's Facebook page include a picture of Billy and his sister, which she captions: "The best big sister in the world! He just snuggled in tight and slept in her arms."

No murder suicide in my short comment. But I've lost a 27y/o son and a 16y/o grandson to suicide within the year and a half. Son in 7/21 & gson 5/23. America's mental health care is failing us all. Rest peacefully babies
And also to Brandy, I hope you are free of the darkness that held you down. Survivor of Suicidal Lossx2

Absolutely devastating. I’m sure that I’ve said this before but still cannot grasp this “mother’s” mentality. I grew up very close to this area and am floored by the recent murder-suicides. I can count five recent murder suicides in this area off the top of my head 1) this one in Verdigris where 3 children were likely killed by their own “mother;” 2) 11-year-old and his grandfather likely killed by grandmother in Muskogee; 3) 6 children and their mother killed by the father in Broken Arrow; 4) wife killed by husband in Broken Arrow; and 5) the wife, 3 children, and 2 friends killed by the husband in Henryetta. Sadly, tonight while I’m down in Florida, I hear of yet another one where guy kills his pregnant girlfriend and then himself. Why? What is going on?

also the guy who shot his three sons and tried to shoot his stepdaughter and shot their mother through the hand (just realized you were only listing them from that area)

Last edited:
No murder suicide in my short comment. But I've lost a 27y/o son and a 16y/o grandson to suicide within the year and a half. Son in 7/21 & gson 5/23. America's mental health care is failing us all. Rest peacefully babies
And also to Brandy, I hope you are free of the darkness that held you down. Survivor of Suicidal Lossx2

very sorry for your losses

do the 6 children in Broken Arrow have a thread here? I can't find one

I don't have answers as to why. But I do see the cases differently when the murderer kills the children only, not a significant other, and also kills him or herself. It's no less tragic, however.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kristirobots
Back