OK - Carolyn Rogers, killed in 1974 liquor store robbery, Edmond, convicted Glynn Simmons released from prison after 50 years, July ‘23 *retrial*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

imstilla.grandma

Believer of Miracles
Reaction score
A man who's been in prison for nearly 50 years is free after an Oklahoma judge vacated his conviction.

Glynn Simmons was convicted in 1975 for killing Carolyn Rogers during a liquor store robbery the year before in Edmond. The surviving victim picked Simmons out of a lineup, but he said he wasn't even in the state at the time.

Simmons' attorney said it was later discovered that the victim had identified other people in lineups, not Simmons. He also said prosecutors never made that known to the jury or the defense for years, and his appeals were denied.

The Oklahoma County District Attorney's Office said Thursday that Simmons will have a retrial and a date for one has been set for this fall. They'll now review the case to see what the next steps are.

"We believe all the evidence that the defense counsel should have had access to at the trial did not have access to that evidence. Our system of justice requires that," Behenna said.

Simmons was released from prison earlier this week after spending 48 years in jail for Rogers' murder.

In a statement from Simmons' defense team, Tulsa attorney Joseph Norway said, "the decision was an acknowledgment this year by prosecutors at the Oklahoma County District Attorney's Office that Simmons' 1975 trial was conducted unfairly. They now admit that critical police records in the case were wrongfully withheld from Simmons for 20 years."

Simmons was 22 years old when he was convicted. He's now 70.

Oklahoma County District Attorney Vicki Behenna said in a statement Monday that there is no longer physical evidence in the case against 70-year-old Glynn Ray Simmons.

“When considering whether to pursue the case against Simmons again, the district attorney determined the state will not be able to meet its burden at trial and prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Simmons was responsible for (Carolyn Sue) Rogers’ murder,” according to the statement.

He's been declared innocent now.

This is a case where I say: Fortunately the death penalty was not carried out. If it had been, there would have been no releasing of this innocent man.

I like that the BBC has a photo of him in normal clothes as opposed to prison ones. It gives a different impression.

All MOO.

Even the prosecutors who were responsible for sending Simmons and Roberts to prison later began to show doubts about the case years after the trial was concluded. Prosecutor Robert Mildfelt wrote letters in support of Simmons:

“Your case has troubled me these many years, because of the many questions unanswered by the evidence we had. … Quite candidly, it was one of the few cases I have been involved in that the verdict a week later could easily have been different.”

Another prosecutor in the case, Dan Murdock, told the media that “you go with what you got,” and a jury decides the rest: “You know your feelings and attitudes and opinions on things change over the years. Now looking back on it, there are things I’d have done different, sure. … (The jury) relied on eyewitness testimony. But now we’ve seen that’s not always the best (evidence).”

Mr. Simmons spent a tragic amount of time incarcerated for a crime he did not commit," his attorney, Elizabeth Wang, said in a statement. "Although he will never get that time back, this settlement with Edmond will allow him to move forward" with his life.

He was 22 years old when he was convicted, CBS Oklahoma City affiliate KWTV points out.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BEllis9801
Back