OK OK - Daryn Collie, 32, Guthrie, 26 May 2013

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re the passport thing: Rules have changed. You can't come into the U.S. by car these days with only a regular driver's license, so Canada won't let you enter with only the license -- the thinking being that you won't be able to leave when you're supposed to. http://traveltips.usatoday.com/documents-needed-between-canada-usa-car-21162.html

SBM -

I paid an extra $30 when I renewed my license, filled out one extra form, and walked away with an Enhanced DL instead of a regular one (oh wait, I must have misspoken last night - I bet I said that you don't need a passport and that you can cross just with a REGULAR driver's license, didn't I? Now I see where this line of conversation came from, I'm sorry! Silly me. Of course it must be Enhanced. Well, I'll leave the rest of my post anyhow).

The only use for an Enhanced DL is land border crossings. I hope I wasn't gipped by the DMV. It sure was a lot cheaper and less hassle than applying for a passport, which I don't think I'll ever need since I've never left the country anyway and probably never will. But this way I can at least take a cruise to the US Virgin Islands or land cross into Canada and back... unless something has changed.

Times have changed....You do need a passport now to cross into Canada.

Entry into Canada: Canadian law requires that all persons entering Canada carry both proof of citizenship and proof of identity. A valid U.S. passport, passport card, or NEXUS card satisfies these requirements for U.S. citizens.

Children under 16 need only present proof of U.S. citizenship.

Read more at link... http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1082.html#entry_requirements

No, you don't need a passport to cross into canada. But as you posted, "A valid US Passport, passport card, or NEXUS card" satisfies the requirement... as does an EDL. But this stuff is neither here nor there because there's no reason to think he's in Canada anyhow. :)

American entry into Canada by land - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"An enhanced driver's license or EDL (currently issued by Michigan, New York, Vermont and Washington) is specifically designed to meet the requirements of the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative to re-enter the United States via a land or water border. (I REALIZE THIS IS ABOUT RE ENTRY AND NOT CROSSING INITIALLY, KEEP READING :) ) Neither the Canadian Border Services Agency, nor Citizenship and Immigration Canada have an official policy as to whether an EDL issued to a US citizen establishes proof of nationality and identity in the same way that a passport does. However, as EDLs are also issued to Canadian citizens in several provinces and are routinely accepted at the border,[4] nonetheless it appears that the CBSA does accept an EDL at the border for US visitors."

ETA: http://www.dmv.org/driving-abroad/passport-license.php

"If you are a licensed driver, check to see if your state has developed an EDL program in conjunction with the Department of Homeland Security. Currently, only Washington State, Vermont, New York, and Michigan are fully up and running with EDLs. However, Arizona, Texas, and California are making progress with their programs, too.

Like PASS Cards, EDLs are only accepted at land and sea border crossings, not for air travel. The license contains radio-frequency microchipping that uniquely identifies you in CBP databases, which should promote a more expeditious cross. EDLs will be approved forms of identification, in full compliance with the new WHTI security measures."

They sure can't say it quickly and easily, can they? LOL, anyhow neither his home state nor OK even ISSUE EDLs so I guess this isn't something he has instead of a passport, so there goes that idea!

Has anyone laid eyes on him since he was in NYC at the wedding, aside from his brother?

Oh wait yes we had Job Corps' detailed security procedure netting us the fact that he left there at precisely 9:37pm.

Hm. So LKA info is by security at Job Corps, and at 9:37pm.

His fancy dancy new car, it had GPS, or no? Cuz you know GPS can be tracked. Every time I go to walmart I think to myself "if I ever go missing and someone checks my GPS they're going to think we practically LIVE in this store""

Also, if this car had to be filled up with gas a billion times between one state and the next, is there seriously absolutely NO surveillance footage of him at gas stations or toll roads? And this has been HOW many days now?

Family can't take the middle road of "maybe its foul play but maybe it's voluntary", they HAVE to assume it's foul play and get the information out there. I'm really getting angry at this case now because it's so wishywashy and full of BS. Either resources are being wasted in LE because it's voluntary, or time is being wasted by EVERYONE because it's not. Just pick one and run with it. If he was 14 would someone have been checking video cameras by now? Yeah, probably. This is just so stupid. So many potential leads and no family anywhere to say they checked into anything.

When adult cases get to be too frustrating for reasons like this, I head back to Elaina's thread, at least her step grandmother is here as well as getting Nancy Grace on her case and whatnot... JMO, and with the caveat that I could sure use more coffee this morning!

*respectfully snipped*

Also, if this car had to be filled up with gas a billion times between one state and the next, is there seriously absolutely NO surveillance footage of him at gas stations or toll roads? And this has been HOW many days now?

Family can't take the middle road of "maybe its foul play but maybe it's voluntary", they HAVE to assume it's foul play and get the information out there. I'm really getting angry at this case now because it's so wishywashy and full of BS. Either resources are being wasted in LE because it's voluntary, or time is being wasted by EVERYONE because it's not. Just pick one and run with it. If he was 14 would someone have been checking video cameras by now? Yeah, probably. This is just so stupid. So many potential leads and no family anywhere to say they checked into anything.

When adult cases get to be too frustrating for reasons like this, I head back to Elaina's thread, at least her step grandmother is here as well as getting Nancy Grace on her case and whatnot... JMO, and with the caveat that I could sure use more coffee this morning!

I'm not sure that's fair, GGE. As far as I can see, everyone is doing everything they can a) within their own means to do so, i.e. Portabella & Mytee taking on trying to locate info about D's cat which could give us more of an idea as to what's happened, and b) with the tiny amount of information that we all have to go on. I don't know what else people could be doing, other than maybe phoning up gas stations en-route from OK to OR and asking them to check their CCTV/put up posters. It's not a small task, but if I was in the U.S. I would offer to do at least a bit of that.

I'm sure the family are doing plenty to pursue leads and I think/hope they will update Mytee with any information which she can then relay here. Daryn's girlfriend seems to have done a lot, too (if you look at her comments on the FB page). I think it's a case where it's hard to know the next step when there exist so many frustrating elements, such as D's legal right to disappear, and no MAJOR signs of foul play.

We are all frustrated by the lack of attention this case is getting. It just seems it's not 'juicy' enough for the MSM, and that's a real shame.

I'm not sure that's fair, GGE. As far as I can see, everyone is doing everything they can a) within their own means to do so, i.e. Portabella & Mytee taking on trying to locate info about D's cat which could give us more of an idea as to what's happened, and b) with the tiny amount of information that we all have to go on. I don't know what else people could be doing, other than maybe phoning up gas stations en-route from OK to OR and asking them to check their CCTV/put up posters. It's not a small task, but if I was in the U.S. I would offer to do at least a bit of that.

I'm sure the family are doing plenty to pursue leads and I think/hope they will update Mytee with any information which she can then relay here. Daryn's girlfriend seems to have done a lot, too (if you look at her comments on the FB page). I think it's a case where it's hard to know the next step when there exist so many frustrating elements, such as D's legal right to disappear, and no MAJOR signs of foul play.

We are all frustrated by the lack of attention this case is getting. It just seems it's not 'juicy' enough for the MSM, and that's a real shame.

Don't you hate when you're quoted before you can go back and soften your wording? Yeah.... me too. :)

You are right. That is somewhat unfair and harsh. Right off the bat, let me say that I never in a million years meant to suggest that those working his case diligently aren't doing enough. I only meant that there are some basics that should have been dealt with by this now, IMHO, based on past cases.

There was a case not too long ago of a young man gone missing on his drive home from college in New Hampshire, I think it was, to Pennsylvania. In just a day or so's time we had records of his purchases at gas stations all over a couple/ three states as well as surveillance footage, etc.

I just don't understand why we have none of that in this case, particularly since we know that Oregon is one of only two states that forbids pumping your own gas which guarantees that someone saw the driver of this car.

ETA: Its such a strange case, too, because it has 28 pages of comments on WS and only about 2-3 MSM articles and one single blurb from LE. This thread was THIS CLOSE to not even meeting the criteria for us at WS to even be allowed to POST it here, it has so little information to go on.

Usually by page 28 we have dozens of MSM articles, and/or a family member providing the missing info personally and/or a scanner thread to go with it that has some evidence of some kind of searches taking place.... SOMETHING.

You know?

(PS anything from FB I am unaware of, and intend to remain that way on, because it doesn't fit criteria at WS for "factual information" so anything posted there but not verified and shared on here by my_tee , I'm sorry to say I can't comment on because to me it simply does not exist.)

*respectfully snipped*

I just don't understand why we have none of that in this case, particularly since we know that Oregon is one of only two states that forbids pumping your own gas which guarantees that someone saw the driver of this car.

I'm guessing the answer to this is a big fat 'yes' but I just want a confirmation...

Would whoever drove the car from OK to OR have HAD to fill up gas in OR? As in, was the location of the car sufficiently far enough into the state that he would definitively had to have filled up gas in OR?

If that's the case, we need to get canvassing some gas stations!

ETA: probably a super dumb question. Please don't forget I live on a tiny island and I could drive probably half the length of the country on one tank of gas!! :)

ETA again: GGE...I THINK that we have no trace of any bank account activity since the disappearance. But there are murmurs on the FB page that he had been withdrawing large amounts at a time over the past couple of months (please take that with a pinch of salt...and mods please remove if that violates anything!! :))

Has anyone laid eyes on him since he was in NYC at the wedding, aside from his brother?

Oh wait yes we had Job Corps' detailed security procedure netting us the fact that he left there at precisely 9:37pm.

Hm. So LKA info is by security at Job Corps, and at 9:37pm.

His fancy dancy new car, it had GPS, or no? Cuz you know GPS can be tracked. Every time I go to walmart I think to myself "if I ever go missing and someone checks my GPS they're going to think we practically LIVE in this store""

There's no way for us to know what LE is doing or checking or what the family is doing or assuming. Joining WS or posting here isn't even remotely the duty of the family of a victim, and they are busy actually doing real life things to help LE. Anyone who bothers to read the thread can see that the family has been doing quite a bit and even relaying information, although they have no obligation whatsoever to keep us informed. I've got to disagree that it's essential to pick one theory and run with it. Seems to me it's essential to gather facts and go whatever direction they lead.

(And I've said this before in other threads but I'll say it again in this one - just so you don't think I'm being a complete @$$hat who has no personal experience with missing persons... my own brother took off as an adult around the age of 21 when I was six years old and I didn't see or hear from him again until I was about 36, which was after our mother had passed without knowing if he was alive or dead. It was voluntary on his part, and we had to wait 30 years to know he was alive. So. Yeah. Trust me, there is plenty of empathy here.)

There's no way for us to know what LE is doing or checking or what the family is doing or assuming. Joining WS or posting here isn't even remotely the duty of the family of a victim, and they are busy actually doing real life things to help LE. Anyone who bothers to read the thread can see that the family has been doing quite a bit and even relaying information, although they have no obligation whatsoever to keep us informed. I've got to disagree that it's essential to pick one theory and run with it. Seems to me it's essential to gather facts and go whatever direction they lead.

BBM -

Steadfast, I'm so glad you posted. When I see your name in a thread, I think to myself "ah here comes the voice of reason, the one who sees both sides objectively and says it how it is".. you've no idea how much I appreciate that you keep things grounded in reality.

I didn't say what I meant in a way that properly conveyed the sentiment behind it. Because of my poor choice of words and tone, I have come across as the exact opposite in this thread that I ever have in any other, and that is pretty embarrassing and has me feeling a bit like a child who was witnessed having a temper tantrum in public. Consider me properly chastised for that.

All I'm saying is that all cases being equal, the time that has passed for this case has netted far less information than when the same amount of time has passed in just about any other case here. This is frustrating.

I do take a little bit of personal affront to the comment "anybody who bothers to read the thread", however. I have read every post in this thread and some of them two or three times. I spent at least three hours doing nothing else yesterday, and since I am quite fond of making casemaps I had intended to spend the same amount of time today creating a casemap for Daryn's case. We shall see.

I'm guessing the answer to this is a big fat 'yes' but I just want a confirmation...

Would whoever drove the car from OK to OR have HAD to fill up gas in OR? As in, was the location of the car sufficiently far enough into the state that he would definitively had to have filled up gas in OR?

ETA: probably a super dumb question. Please don't forget I live on a tiny island and I could drive probably half the length of the country on one tank of gas!! :)

ETA again: GGE...I THINK that we have no trace of any bank account activity since the disappearance. But there are murmurs on the FB page that he had been withdrawing large amounts at a time over the past couple of months (please take that with a pinch of salt...and mods please remove if that violates anything!! :))

I guess the fact that it's been so long, and if someone saw him that first day or two, would they remember him? I think only if he was doing something odd. I also think any cameras would be too much work for LE to undertake since they don't even have an exact date of when he would have been in a certain area. They didn't know the route he took and still don't. It's a guess only. It would have to be friends or volunteers to backtrack and take posters, even to rest areas along a certain route. This is sooo strange, and confusing.
I am wondering how the GF has never seen the cat. Has she never been to his apartment? Stepmother have a key? I asked if she found bowls, litter boxes, etc. Never got a reply on that. Was she basing the cat info on what he said, or has she seen the cat? It's so easy to have a cat, that I don't know why he would fake that! Seems like furries would have pics of their real furries.
I thought his boss notified dad that he wasn't at work. So that would lead me to believe he had not quit, but it wouldn't let me know he had not put in notice of quitting at a future date. I guess if he would not tell anybody his plans, his work wouldn't be any different. Again, my thoughts are running helter-skelter!

Gypsy IS a real cat, right? Not a ... person who identifies as a cat? Hey, stranger things have happened, maybe even in this very case! (And I realize there is a litter box and a food bowl with kibble... I knew a guy who lived as a dog/slave in a doghouse at his "Mistresses" home - it was a BDSM thing.. he ate out of a bowl on the floor without utensils, always.... so I'm just asking an honest question.) I mean, there's no photos of the cat, nobody has seen the cat, nobody seems to be taking care of the cat, and we only know she hasn't been spayed. Which if it's a human, LOL, I guess she wouldn't be!

Maybe just in case we should take a look around the internet for cat fursonas named Gypsy.

Unless the driver went up north and came into Oregon southwards from Washington, he'd have to drive about 335 miles at the least through Oregon to get to Hood River.

The Dodge Nitro's gas tank holds 19.5 gallons. ( http://www.bebo.com/new-cars/2011-dodge-nitro/ ) And the Nitro gets anywhere from 16-22 mpg, depending on conditions. (http://www.bebo.com/new-cars/2011-dodge-nitro/ ) At 16 mpg, he could go 312 miles, and at 22 mpg, he could go 412 miles.

The only thing is, there would be routes through mountains, which might lower his gas mileage quite a bit and there's no way to know whether there was a full tank of gas in the car at the border. There's also no way to know whether the driver of the car had any idea that self-serve gas is not allowed in that state.

All this to say, I don't know.

Please don't forget I live on a tiny island and I could drive probably half the length of the country on one tank of gas!! :)
snip

A small island but a great one! Distances don't matter when it comes to content of character.

Land's End to John o' Groats.....874 miles
Guthrie OK to Hood River OR....1832 miles

And.....

(Clang-clang, clang-clang) (Whoops! The bellringer was laid off due to nothing, absolutely nothing, happening in MSM overnight.)

BBM -

Steadfast, I'm so glad you posted. When I see your name in a thread, I think to myself "ah here comes the voice of reason, the one who sees both sides objectively and says it how it is".. you've no idea how much I appreciate that you keep things grounded in reality.

I didn't say what I meant in a way that properly conveyed the sentiment behind it. Because of my poor choice of words and tone, I have come across as the exact opposite in this thread that I ever have in any other, and that is pretty embarrassing and has me feeling a bit like a child who was witnessed having a temper tantrum in public. Consider me properly chastised for that.

All I'm saying is that all cases being equal, the time that has passed for this case has netted far less information than when the same amount of time has passed in just about any other case here. This is frustrating.

I do take a little bit of personal affront to the comment "anybody who bothers to read the thread", however. I have read every post in this thread and some of them two or three times. I spent at least three hours doing nothing else yesterday, and since I am quite fond of making casemaps I had intended to spend the same amount of time today creating a casemap for Daryn's case. We shall see.

Sorry for being snippy -- :peace: -- especially if you're going to lavishly and undeservedly praise me. :blushing:

I'm frustrated, too, with this case, but it's more because of the inconsistent information than with lack of information. I've got a feeling LE is checking all kinds of things which we just aren't in the loop. Much of what we know was on the facebook page but isn't on there now. For instance, at least one of Daryn's friends posted that she has seen his cat many times. I don't think that's there now. I guess you can't be expected to read things that no longer exist. :crystalball:

Did anyone find a personal fbook page for Daryn? You'd think someone with his interests would be quite active. :confused:

Starting from the beginning,( and I realize that he was at Job Corp, or left Job Corp at 9:37pm,) but back up a bit.....
Did he leave the Nitro at the OKC airport for the days he was in New York? Or did someone pick him and his brother up at the airport in the Nitro?, or in their own car, and the brother and Daryn were dropped off at Daryn's, so that the Nitro and back pack could be retrieved?
This might be totally irrelevant, but I was just curious......... In My Opinion....

I do find it a bit odd about Gypsy, that nobody has seen Gypsy, before, during and after Daryn. I also find it odd as a poster stated earlier in the thread here, that a person is going to move in with someone (especially since they have known each other for awhile)
and they are "dating" but they have never met the cat! That strikes me as odd.
Also, even if Daryn did not microchip the cat, that doesn't mean that there isn't a microchip in the cat, as a previous owner could have microchipped the cat. If the cat is now at a vet, they could use a chip scanner on the cat. In My Opinion....

This would be great. Each theory I have come up with just doesn't fit. Something seems off with every single one. I feel like I am just missing something so obvious. There are so many details, and I am sure many of them just have a simple explanation.

Glad to finally have his furry persona. Have done a lot of that type of, ummm research, lol, and I had no luck. There are sites you can search for members by name, but many you must become a member. There are also several meet up groups, but I was looking for Darraby.

For those looking for clues in furrydom...I wouldn't give up on the Darraby fursona, if I were ya'll. ;)

I edited to show a link about how to syphon gas even if there's an anti-syphon doohicky in there. (There are tons of links for this, even youtubes.)

But that's not as important (to me) as this thought I just had about why the gas tank may have been empty: Someone didn't want to waste expensive gas on an abandoned car and so he transferred it to another vehicle. That person could have been Daryn or a carjacker.

Oh the things we learn to do here at WSU!!!!!:floorlaugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member