OK - Rep. Calls For Death Penalty For Repeat Child Molesters

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
If this were a perfect world, I'd support the DP for repeat offenders. I feel strongly about protecting children and agree that these people do not change. Society is far better off with them apart from the rest of us. It's not perfect however and as I suggested, these creeps would be killing more of their victims if this law were enacted.
I support Obama's health care reform but agree that we need to make protection of our children a far greater priority. Maybe someone in congress can attach an amendment to any reform bill- it might make it more palatable to many of us.

I think a lot of us need to take a step back and consider the implications of this proposed law.
My understanding is that California had the death penalty for rape and other sex crimes on their books but this was removed in the 1960's. Apparently because it was noted that there were several cases in which victims were killed to silence them and avoid a possible death penalty. Maybe I have this wrong, if so I'd welcome someone contributing who knows.
Isn't this cause for concern? Like most people I would like to see these monsters get their due but shouldn't we put the safety of their victims first.

Ok, do let's take a look at the implications. If we look at it as putting the DP on the table could cause SO's to kill their victims, and we use that as a reason to keep that law from taking affect then we should also knock down the SO laws. Because some SO's say they killed to keep from getting caught and having to register. Then there are the ones who don't want to jail. So do you think if we knocked down all the laws about SO's that maybe they would quit killing their victims? No, because killing their victims began before the laws were in place. That's why they made the laws, in response to the crimes.

It's well-known that the DP is not a deterrent. Children are still going to be violated, there will still be predators even with the DP.

I'm not saying that there shouldn't be stricter punishment for SOs but I don't think that it should be the DP. It kind of makes "an eye for an eye" a moot arguing point, since it's not even equal punishment.

Once they enact the penalty it is a pretty effective deterrent.

As far as whether it is an equal punishment, a child who is raped at a young age faces a lifetime of nightmares, often has problems with trust and intimacy as an adult. It often affects their relationship with their own children. They frequently suffer from depression and suicidal feelings. And for them it is a life time. FWIW if the child is 10, with a lifetime of 70 years that could mean 60 years of pain. And that is if they don't suffer a physical injury. Not to mention that some children who are molested at a young age sometimes go on to become molesters themselves. Sorta the "next generation". Many times it is said that when molestation begins their childhood ends. So yes, they live. But what quality of life? They live sometimes tortured lives that they wish would end. And the abuser gets his life ended. Ironic huh.

Teach me how to bump....Please! TU
In order to bring a post forward to the front page after it hasn't been accessed for a few days, you have to write something in a post. The word "Bump" is used so people know you just wanted to move the case to the front without a comment. It "bumps" it.

So you do it just like any post and write Bump then click Submit Reply.

Hope that explained it. :)

It's well-known that the DP is not a deterrent. Children are still going to be violated, there will still be predators even with the DP.

I'm not saying that there shouldn't be stricter punishment for SOs but I don't think that it should be the DP. It kind of makes "an eye for an eye" a moot arguing point, since it's not even equal punishment.
Death penalty is not a deterrent? I'm okay with that, because when it comes to child molesters/ child rapists NOTHING is a deterrent.

That makes the death penalty for repeat child molesters/ child rapists even more reasonable to me.

There would be absolutely no possible chance of them being released to offend again if they are dead.

Sounds harsh? So is the crime of child molestation/rape.

How many children could be saved from this kind of horror? Hundreds? Thousands?

Rape a child, lose your right to breathe.

The DP isn't a deterrent for people who commit murder, but we still use it here.

Why keep them alive and segregated from the general population in prison for life? It just costs taxpayers more money to keep them, imo. I never understood why they receive special treatment in prison either. Why protect them when they don't protect other offenders in such a way? Let the other criminals deal with the likes of them and I will agree to drop the DP argument. ;)

The DP isn't a deterrent for people who commit murder, but we still use it here.

Why keep them alive and segregated from the general population in prison for life? It just costs taxpayers more money to keep them, imo. I never understood why they receive special treatment in prison either. Why protect them when they don't protect other offenders in such a way? Let the other criminals deal with the likes of them and I will agree to drop the DP argument. ;)

Totally agree.

My reasons for instating the death penalty has nothing to do with deterring the SO. They can't be rewired. If they could we wouldn't need to have this conversation at all. The same reason we kill serial killers. They kill for pleasure and can't be fixed. Serial child rapists are no better. There is no cure.

My reasons would be to prevent them from ever being released thus sparing new victims (and potentially starting future offenders on their own road to destruction).

As far as increasing the odds that a pedophile will kill future victims to avoid harsh sentencing, that brings the following points:

a. that tells you the current sentencing is not harsh enough
b. I don't believe that it is nearly as much of a statistical probability as a released SO going on to have dozens of more victims. My personal belief is that pedophiles that escalate to killing their victims do so because they are turned on by the idea. Not because they fear punishment. If they feared punishment (or possible death penalty by parent who finds out you raped their child) they wouldn't be raping children to begin with.

Housing people for life is an outrageous cost. Have you looked at the projected numbers for all the people sentenced to life in the last 30 years and how much it will cost to house them through old age? A sickening waste of money for what we as a society have said are criminals beyond rehabilitation. Those billions of dollars should be used to better the people we haven't given up on yet.

Not to mention if a dog is considered too aggressive and antisocial to be in society we put them down both for public safety and because it would be cruel to force him to live out the rest of his life in a tiny cell. Our SO should be treated with at least the same consideration we offer rabid dogs. moo

Why keep them alive and segregated from the general population in prison for life? It just costs taxpayers more money to keep them, imo.

You're right, the DP isn't a deterrent for murderers or any criminals. Criminals generally don't consider punishment when committing crimes.

You're wrong, on the other hand, about keeping them alive costing more than execution. It's well-known that the cost of execution far exceeds the cost of a life sentence. Why? Well, we're still feeding and housing them, but the cost of appeals and the trial are the kickers.

There are so many problems with the way the criminal justice system works in regards to the DP (discrepancies in how it is enforced, racial bias, possibility of killing innocent people, the list goes on...) that until these things are fixed, I will not reconsider my stance on the issue.

And the number one reason that I disagree with the DP, is that it is barbaric. Not to say that sex offenses aren't, because they absolutely are. I don't know when two wrongs started making a right :waitasec:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lotsofelbowd
Back