OK OK - Stephen “Steve” Lee Murphy, last seen in Claremore sometime in 1976, not reported missing until July 2022

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I agree. No one should have to wait such a long length of time. In my opinion they should get DNA uploaded as quickly as possible.
I think it's time for me to go on the hunt for a match to Stephen... especially after this... Nobody should wait that long for closure. You've waited long enough! But first, a question. Are we CERTAIN he was alive in 1984. I just don't want to say no to an otherwise viable match based on a possibility.

Last edited:
This is the update I received from the NAMUS liaison.

Okay, the five-year wait is tied to funding, at least in some way.

Can we crowd-source the cost for yours & jump to the head of the line???

Should we just cool our heels a bit longer and wait for the military records? Those should include dentals, right?

Happy Marine Corps Birthday & Happy Veteran's Day, Stephen Lee Murphy!

jmho ymmv lrr

Okay, the five-year wait is tied to funding, at least in some way.

Can we crowd-source the cost for yours & jump to the head of the line???

Should we just cool our heels a bit longer and wait for the military records? Those should include dentals, right?

Happy Marine Corps Birthday & Happy Veteran's Day, Stephen Lee Murphy!

jmho ymmv lrr
The records should give something. I figured they should have the records at least shortly after the holidays

I think it's time for me to go on the hunt for a match to Stephen... especially after this... Nobody should wait that long for closure. You've waited long enough! But first, a question. Are we CERTAIN he was alive in 1984. I just don't want to say no to an otherwise viable match based on a possibility.
For him to be discharged in 1984 he would have to been alive I would assume. Anyone correct me if that's not true.

I have not. I've been able to track down his only living uncle. Which I haven't be able to find any children.
I've been doing some research on his mom's side, and I think she has at least one sister who is still alive and has kids. She was one of 6 girls and 2 are definitely deceased (besides her) and the other three I'm not sure, but the youngest appears to be alive (in Kansas) and on FB. She would be Stephen's aunt...have you talked to her?

I've been doing some research on his mom's side, and I think she has at least one sister who is still alive and has kids. She was one of 6 girls and 2 are definitely deceased (besides her) and the other three I'm not sure, but the youngest appears to be alive (in Kansas) and on FB. She would be Stephen's aunt...have you talked to her?
Do you happen to have her Facebook link?

I know that where things are at right now, it’s unclear if Stephen was discharged in 1984 or if he was indeed last heard from in 1976… However, I couldn’t help but see that his description also lined up with at least 2 of John Wayne Gacy’s unidentified victims. I hope this doesn’t come across as insensitive, but has there ever been an attempt to try to match him up with one of them? My understanding of the Gacy victims is that they have put in a lot of effort to identify them so perhaps they would be more willing to spend money on DNA matching for a viable link (perhaps expediting some of the backlog)?

There are still 5 victims unidentified, mostly presumed deceased between 1972-1978, with two specifically in 1976.
https:///wiki/Body_21
https:///wiki/Body_26
https:///wiki/Body_28

I thought he lined up most with 28, but that victim was presumed dead in 1974. Others he may have similarity to are 21 or 26, both assumed deceased in mid-late 1976.

Here’s information on how they are using dna testing (outside of Namus etc) to identify victims and how to submit tips: John Wayne Gacy Victim Identified

I hope this isn’t the case but thought it may be an avenue to explore…

Last edited:
I know that where things are at right now, it’s unclear if Stephen was discharged in 1984 or if he was indeed last heard from in 1976… However, I couldn’t help but see that his description also lined up with at least 2 of John Wayne Gacy’s unidentified victims. I hope this doesn’t come across as insensitive, but has there ever been an attempt to try to match him up with one of them? My understanding of the Gacy victims is that they have put in a lot of effort to identify them so perhaps they would be more willing to spend money on DNA matching for a viable link (perhaps expediting some of the backlog)?

There are still 5 victims unidentified, mostly presumed deceased between 1972-1978, with two specifically in 1976.

I thought he lined up most with 28, but that victim was presumed dead in 1974. Others he may have similarity to are 21 or 26, both assumed deceased in mid-late 1976.

Here’s information on how they are using dna testing (outside of Namus etc) to identify victims and how to submit tips: John Wayne Gacy Victim Identified

I will get in touch with them. Thank you. I don't discount anything. Considering I have no idea what was going on with him. I will look into anything I can.

I will get in touch with them. Thank you. I don't discount anything. Considering I have no idea what was going on with him. I will look into anything I can.
I hope that this avenue proves helpful in learning more what happened to Stephen. What also seemed hopeful to me is that they are actively pursuing leads and spending resources for dna in ways that reach beyond this case: “In the process, the Sheriff’s Office also solved four cold case deaths, unrelated to Gacy, located five missing persons alive, and two missing persons who had died without their families’ knowledge.”

Have you looked into using a People Finder service. Back in 2008 or 2009, after my mother died, my father paid someone several hundred dollars to find an old girlfriend for him. He hadn't had any contact with her since 1950 or earlier. He didn't know her SSN or anything else other than her maiden name, what city and state she lived in when he dated her, approximate age, and possibly her mother's name.

Have you looked into using a People Finder service. Back in 2008 or 2009, after my mother died, my father paid someone several hundred dollars to find an old girlfriend for him. He hadn't had any contact with her since 1950 or earlier. He didn't know her SSN or anything else other than her maiden name, what city and state she lived in when he dated her, approximate age, and possibly her mother's name.
Did they find her?

For some reason, I can’t post links to the unidentified wiki, but there are more details on his victims if you search the unidentified wiki for John Wayne Gacy’s victims, which include links to their Namus pages too.
The Unidentified Wiki is not an approved source here and just so you know for the future, I believe neither is the Int. Missing Wiki. Anyone could edit an article there.

I think he is most similar to Body 21. I believe he is most likely to have died between June and August 1976 as he was directly above William Carroll who was placed in the crawlspace on June 13, 1976. As we know, Stephen went missing in May 1976 which is what his NamUs says, a perfect match of the dates if you discount all the army records.

Also, just something about the reconstruction just looks so similar to Stephen. I can't put my finger on it though.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kat kruck
Back