OR - Alaska Airlines flight diverted after off-duty pilot tries "to shut the engines down" in cockpit, audio reveals

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Seattle — Three passengers sued Alaska Airlines Thursday, saying they suffered emotional distress from an incident last month in which an off-duty pilot was accused of trying to shut down the engines of a plane while catching a ride in the cockpit from Washington state to San Francisco.

In the complaint filed Thursday in King County Superior Court in Washington state, San Francisco residents Matthew Doland and Theresa Stelter and Paul Stephen of Kenmore, Washington, alleged that the pilot should never have been allowed in the cockpit because he was suffering from depression and a lack of sleep.

Alaska Airlines said in an emailed statement that it is reviewing the complaint. "The pilots and flight attendants operating Flight 2059 responded without hesitation to ensure the safety of all onboard," it added. "We are incredibly proud and grateful for their skilled actions."

Oh Brother. IMO. I hope this gets shut down fast.

Wonder what this medical or mental emergency was caused by?
Did he even know what he was reaching for?
From his FB page, he looked like a normal happy guy with a nice family.

If this was caused by something that he couldn’t control, like a seizure, or a bad reaction to a medication, or a sudden mental break, then it would be sad if he lost his family because of it. He should never be allowed to pilot, again, no matter what caused this to happen.
Magic Mushrooms

There's been no update on the arraignment scheduled (1:30 pm PT) today. Was it canceled?
Appears to have been moved to 11/30
  • 11/22/2023 Order - Appear
    Judicial Officer
    Souede, Benjamin
    Comment
  • 11/30/2023 Arraignment - Indictment
    Judicial Officer
    Francesconi, Bryan
    Hearing Time
    9:30 AM
    Comment
    60-Day Wvr: Limited to 3/6/24 Preventive Detention: Limited to 11/28/23 // STIP S/O FROM 11.1.2023

This man was a menace to passengers not only on this plane, but the one he was supposed to pilot later.

JMO

He wasn't scheduled to fly for 6 days, according to the NY Times article @patternsfinder was kind enough to share.

During a Friday night of sipping on whiskeys and beers, someone had the idea of taking psychedelic mushrooms. Mr. Emerson had never tried them; he would often avoid even secondhand marijuana smoke in case it showed up in a drug test. He said his friends assured him they were safe, did not last a long time and would not show up on a drug test. He was not scheduled to fly again for six days.

I would like to know more about these friends, who told him that it would be fine to take psychedelics.
I know. Especially if his friends were aware he had bouts of depression or anxiety. However, JE seems to be easily influenced. The age-old question: “If your friends jumped off a bridge, would you do it too?”

Also, he is mixing in his fear of seeking mental health treatment with his desire to do recreational drugs.

That seems disingenuous, and not helpful to the objective of openly examining MH treatment availability for pilots.

Hope he gets help.

I know. Especially if his friends were aware he had bouts of depression or anxiety. However, JE seems to be easily influenced. The age-old question: “If your friends jumped off a bridge, would you do it too?”

Also, he is mixing in his fear of seeking mental health treatment with his desire to do recreational drugs.

That seems disingenuous, and not helpful to the objective of openly examining MH treatment availability for pilots.

Hope he gets help.

I don't think it's disingenuous. Self-medication is a known consequence of mental health stigmatization and industries that make mental health treatment punitive. From that, we get substance abuse in these professions.

I don't think it's disingenuous. Self-medication is a known consequence of mental health stigmatization and industries that make mental health treatment punitive. From that, we get substance abuse in these professions.
I interpreted his use of mushrooms as recreational. He was at a party where they were using alcohol. His friends encouraged him to take mushrooms as it wouldn’t show up on a drug test. He stated he had also previously avoided marijuana, as it might show up on a drug test. He wanted the buzz, and didn’t want to get caught, imo.

It may have been self-medication, or it may be simply an excuse for a lack of self-control.

While I am sympathetic to the overall need for mental health help in the aviation profession, I’m not ready to give JE a pass. He is a pilot with a duty and responsibility. He knew he wasn’t feeling right, and he still boarded the plane and went into the cockpit.

jmo

I interpreted his use of mushrooms as recreational. He was at a party where they were using alcohol. His friends encouraged him to take mushrooms as it wouldn’t show up on a drug test. He stated he had also previously avoided marijuana, as it might show up on a drug test. He wanted the buzz, and didn’t want to get caught, imo.

It may have been self-medication, or it may be simply an excuse for a lack of self-control.

While I am sympathetic to the overall need for mental health help in the aviation profession, I’m not ready to give JE a pass. He is a pilot with a duty and responsibility. He knew he wasn’t feeling right, and he still boarded the plane and went into the cockpit.

jmo
For someone who was so anxious to avoid second hand smoke, he seems to have blithely taken his friends' word for it that shrooms would be fine. It's a very juvenile scenario, and either he's lying to try to cry 'peer pressure' and avoid blame, or he's got a flaw in his judgement about risk/reward that makes me glad he's not flying aircraft any more. Neither makes him look in any way an innocent victim, rather, a middle aged man who for no real benefit set his comfortable, established life on fire and nearly killed a planeful of innocent people. For what? He can go flip burgers, as far as I'm concerned.

MOO

Seattle — Three passengers sued Alaska Airlines Thursday, saying they suffered emotional distress from an incident last month in which an off-duty pilot was accused of trying to shut down the engines of a plane while catching a ride in the cockpit from Washington state to San Francisco.

In the complaint filed Thursday in King County Superior Court in Washington state, San Francisco residents Matthew Doland and Theresa Stelter and Paul Stephen of Kenmore, Washington, alleged that the pilot should never have been allowed in the cockpit because he was suffering from depression and a lack of sleep.

Alaska Airlines said in an emailed statement that it is reviewing the complaint. "The pilots and flight attendants operating Flight 2059 responded without hesitation to ensure the safety of all onboard," it added. "We are incredibly proud and grateful for their skilled actions."

Ah. The good old shake down. Sometimes I despair of the human race.

Court TV video with doctor is just under 4 minutes

Good video. JE was offered help for his anxiety, but was concerned he wouldn’t be able to fly. He says he wanted to fly ever since he was a little boy. Ok. Bet it paid well too.

Many people are forced into a situation where they cannot perform their job due to a health condition. Often it’s a physical condition, such as with skilled labor. It is not that unusual, and sometimes people have to find another line of work, or can’t work at all and may go on disability.

It is a tough situation, but the right choice here would have been for JE to follow a doctor‘s advice and get help with medication. Instead, he chose his own form of help, and endangered lives.

Appears to have been moved to 11/30
  • 11/22/2023 Order - Appear
    Judicial Officer
    Souede, Benjamin
    Comment
  • 11/30/2023 Arraignment - Indictment
    Judicial Officer
    Francesconi, Bryan
    Hearing Time
    9:30 AM
    Comment
    60-Day Wvr: Limited to 3/6/24 Preventive Detention: Limited to 11/28/23 // STIP S/O FROM 11.1.2023

Curious about an update regarding today's arraignment. West coast time is about 11:00 am PT right now.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CapeCodTodd
Back