OR OR - David Grubbs, 23, Ashland, 19 Nov 2011

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Thanks for linking to our site. This page (short url: http://g8wy.me/david-grubbs-latest ) is constantly being updated with any and all information we can find regarding the investigation, memorials, meetings and donation opportunities. If there is any information you would like, anything you would like added to the page, or anything you feel that could be done better, please let us know @ support@gateway2ashland.com

He has been ruled out - which means it is still not a good idea to be alone in Ashland after dark. He was in Yreka at the time of the murder. I feel for him. It seems he is a creative sort who has decompensated over the last 20 years. This latest event will make things worse for him.

Surveillance video has led police to ask to speak to three "persons of interest" in David's murder.
A female who was on the bike path at about 5 p.m. in the area of the Mountain View Cemetery wearing a pink jacket and walking two dogs.
A person riding a bicycle on the bike path in the area of the cemetery around 5 p.m.
A person in the area of the cemetery on the bike path around 5:15 p.m.
http://kdrv.com/page/232617
http://ashland.or.us/News.asp?NewsID=2420

Ashland Police say as the days go by, the leads are fewer and fewer. So, they advise anyone with any information to please give them a call at 541-482-5211 or their anonymous tip line at 541-552-2333.

http://kdrv.com/page/232617

Sounds to me like are starting to run out of leads. :(

Let's hope that the forensic anthropologist can narrow down the type of murder weapon...and that will lead to more leads.

Have they released any snippets of video recordings to the public yet? I presume that would be if things really started to lag in the investigation as they probably don't want to give away all of the views/sources of videos that they have collected.

Someone must suspect something!!

I truly believe that the perpetrator was unknown to David (or at least that David wasn't the specific target, but rather just A target, when any target would do). I also suspect that this person was in a psychotic state. So wouldn't this person have been agitated just prior and possibly after? Wouldn't they have gotten blood on their clothes? (Unfortunately I presume the scene was quite messy.) Surely someone, someone somewhere, must have a lead??? No one deserves this kind of death.

Getting frustrated on behalf of David Grubb's loved ones and the people in Ashland. :maddening:

I have a relative who works at the high school, and she said there was a student who may have seen something. He was in the cemetary (about a block-length down the bike path from the crime scene) texting a friend. You certainly can't see the crime scene from there, but he did say he saw a "weird looking" guy going one way and then abruptly another, he seemed very erratic -- the student said he was feeling pretty wary of the guy, but it was getting quite dark and he was not close enough to really identify the person. He later checked his cell phone and the text he sent to his friend was at 5:24 pm -- which would have been about exactly the right time.

manzanita, did they report this to the police??????

Yes, it was reported to the police. At first they didn't follow up with the kid, but later they did. I guess it didn't help them enough though... sad.

When I was a kid there was a murder sort of like this... out-of-blue, random, in a small town where things like that didn't happen, on a well-traveled path in the late afternoon, a teenage girl. It was so traumatic it seemed impossible that it wouldn't be solved. It was a small town where everyone knew everyone else. But, it never was solved... now over 40 years ago. Her surviving siblings are still hoping the killer will be identified someday.

I was thinking tonight this may end up the same way. Very depressing. I can't imagine what David Grubbs' family and friends are feeling -- mostly the great loss, but then on top of that, no one held accountable. Unfathomable.

I hope it doesn't turn out like that.

I don't get it-this is HUGE news in Ashland, you'd think if someone was in the area close to the time THEY would be going to the police instead of the police needing to go find them.

Police talk to 300 people in Oregon near-decapitation case

Investigators have talked to some 300 people over the past three weeks without finding anyone to shed light on the near-decapitation of a grocery store clerk on a bike path through Ashland, police said Monday.

...................................................................................................

The investigation into Grubb's playing of online video games, including one called Assassin's Creed that includes a scene of a man decapitated during a sword fight, has not turned up any leads, Holderness said.

more at link ...................http://www.katu.com/news/local/Police-talk-to-300-people-in-Oregon-decapitation-case-135073723.html

I don't get it-this is HUGE news in Ashland, you'd think if someone was in the area close to the time THEY would be going to the police instead of the police needing to go find them.
They never think it can happen to them..

http://binged.it/rIDvoF

Here's a link to the bird's eye view of the area where David was found. Does anyone know the specific spot? There appears to be a small parking lot by the tracks just beyond the tennis courts. There is a small grouping of trees, some of which look to be evergreens (I presume that the deciduous trees have lost their leaves there by now?), where someone could be somewhat hidden from view.

There are some similarities here with Taylor Van Diest's case. The 18 year old girl was brutally attacked and left for dead on Halloween in a small town in British Columbia at around the same time of day as David, as she walked along a path by some railway tracks.My sincerest condolences to all of you locals, and, in particular, those of you who knew David. What a shock to the community this must be.

I now know exactly where David was ambushed.
Look at the link Snoopster provided
http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=r0yd8r4s8mx3&lvl=18.47062312689116&dir=353.4015203925181&sty=b&where1=Hunter%20Ct,%20Ashland,%20OR%2097520&form=LMLTCC

111125_oregonslaying_photoblog600.jpg

see the yellow curbing behind the girl in the photo. That yellow curbing is all that is seperating the bike path from the parking lot. All anyone would have had to have done is drive into the parking lot, park against this yellow curbing, watch and wait. And when someone was isolated, step out of the car right unto the bike path, with no contact to anything other than asphault. Step back into the car with the murder weapon and drive away. The only clues could have been witnesses or bloody footprints.

Scaryworld, that spot is actually an easy one for someone to hide and ambush a person on the bike path. It could, as you say, easily been someone in a car near the curb, but also the parks dept. maintenance shed there and the large trees around it create natural "hiding places". I know because I walked my dog right down that path in exactly the spot where David was killed. (I'm not walking my dog there at night anymore, though, since the murder.) When it was dark I always felt a little edgy when I reached that spot because it's the one place on that stretch of bike path that is not wide open with clear sight lines of anything (or anyone) ahead of you. A person in a car makes sense, but a person on foot could have easily done this too.

I have also driven by and don't you have to make a couple of turns just to get into the parking lot? It isn't just a straight shot where you could speed quickly away from what I recall. Plus it's in the middle of the neighborhood. I'm not in Ashland now, and I don't live there, but I'll be there for Christmas and will go back. I do think this parking lot area is a good place for the perp to hide, but I think a car would be more conspicuous to people on the bike path, especially the original man and woman who came upon David first and second.

David was walking east to west, and from that direction you can not see the parking lot until you are right upon it, nor can you see anyone on the west side of the parks dept. maintenance shed. It really is a completely blind stretch for someone walking or biking on the path. I have seen many hits and near-misses between walkers, skateboarders, bikers, dog walkers and joggers when someone comes on to the bike path at that spot -- you just can't see them coming at all.

The road to the parking lot is a straight one. Really from the main drag of Walker Street you only have to turn once onto Homes Street and then down Hunter Street to the parking lot -- two blocks total from Walker Street. You have to turn to the right into parking lot itself, but then you can swing around and head straight back up the road. And, yes, it's a neighborhood, but there are no houses on the street that leads to the parking lot/bike path. It has Walker Elementary play fields on one side and the city pool and tennis courts on the other. It's a quiet little road unless there are activities going on at Hunter Park or the Senior Center.

I just drove by tonite to look again and in the dark. We have a full moon. But that parking lot and bike path were way too dark, even with the light of the moon!!! The friend of David's got 1500 signatures for the city to put up lighting, as well as a plaque in David's memory.
We have lived here less than six months and have noticed the whole town is dark at night. But this parking lot and bike path are really bad.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1
Back