Found Alive OR - Dr. Ashley Laird, 37, Jacksonville, 26 August 2016

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Hubby is the worlds worst to get disoriented in our mountains. I usually have to point the way out. Glad she is ok. :)

Some people don't have a very good internal compass, I'm embarrassed to say that I'm one of those. I can get turned around in a heartbeat, when I go to WalMart, I make it a point to check the "number" of the row I'm parked on. LOL! And my DH is always laughing at me about it too, LOL. But it's not always funny, as in cases like this. Thank God this good lady is safe.

The weekend from her Ashley's husband's perspective. I'm not sure why he still says she had never taken that trail before, since the GPS watch showed she had. I wonder if he had used the watch or something. He said she's not good with directions! It will take about two weeks for her to get back to full strength.

Story and video at link.
http://ktvl.com/news/local/ashley-lairds-family-speaks-about-weekend-from-their-perspective

More from her husband. Apparently when she was found she thought it was Saturday. So she lost a whole day. He said they are going to buy a white board when she comes home so she can write down where she is going and how long she will be gone. Good idea! The story also mentions that she was found in the John's Peak area, which is not near Jacksonville Reservoir Rd...so I'm confused.

Story and video at link.
http://www.kdrv.com/news/Ashley_Lai...=social&utm_source=facebook_KDRV_NewsWatch_12

Two weeks.... That makes me think she had some sort of brain trauma, a concussion? I hope she doesn't have something else organic going on. Something tells me she's going to get a full fledged work up. Brain scans, MRI's, the works. God Bless her, what a courageous little lady. I pray for a full recovery.

She got LOST? Yet her GPS watch showed she'd been on that trail before? Well, who knows what really happened
and why. The main thing is she was found.

Two weeks.... That makes me think she had some sort of brain trauma, a concussion? I hope she doesn't have something else organic going on. Something tells me she's going to get a full fledged work up. Brain scans, MRI's, the works. God Bless her, what a courageous little lady. I pray for a full recovery.
She's being treated at the same hospital she works in. I'm sure they're doing everything they possibly can to make sure they don't miss anything.

Very strange story.

Uh oh. Dr. Ashley Laird is now under investigation by the Oregon Medical Board. Her license has been suspended while the investigation is going on. The investigation does not imply wrongdoing on Laird's part but is to protect the public.

According to the Oregon Medical Board, Laird’s license was declared inactive Monday, Aug. 29. In an interim stipulated order, the board wrote: “The board received credible information regarding the licensee (Laird) that resulted in the board initiating an investigation. The results of the investigation to date have raised concerns to the extent that the board believes it necessary that the licensee agree to cease the practice of medicine until the investigation is completed.”

https://kobi5.com/news/doctor-found-in-jacksonville-under-investigation-35180/

A little more information about the investigative process in this article. Her husband said that the investigation has nothing to do with her disappearance. Based on how investigations progress, I expect that he is correct. Here are some of the reasons for an investigation:

The Oregon Medical Board can investigate doctors for a variety of allegations, including inappropriate or substandard care, doctoring while impaired, inappropriate prescribing, an inappropriate relationship with a patient or patient family member and criminal activity, according to the board.

We try to move as expeditiously as possible," Haley said.

The board's primary focus is to ensure patient safety, she said.
Investigations can take a few months to more than a year, depending on complexity, according to the board.

http://m.mailtribune.com/news/20160902/found-doctor-under-investigation-by-medical-board

Mulling over this new development a little more...Based on the fact that the results of the investigation "to date" moved the board to ask her to sign the agreement withdrawing from practicing medicine for now, it would seem that she has known about this investigation for awhile. Although the investigation does not have to do with Ashley's disappearance, did her disappearance have anything to do with the investigation? Did she know that she was going to have to sign this agreement on Monday Aug. 29, when she disappeared on Friday? Was it weighing on her? Distracting her? It's none of my business whatsoever, I know. But it might explain the oddness of it all. Whatever it was, I'm very glad she's safe, recovering in the midst of loving family and can deal with whatever comes.

Laird signed an interim stipulated order Monday with the board in which she agreed to withdraw from the practice of medicine and have her medical license placed in inactive status pending the outcome of the investigation, according to a copy of the order.

The board receives hundreds of complaints a year and each complaint goes through an initial review process. Complaints that do not indicate violations are closed with no further action, while complaints that are not closed are assigned to board investigators, who gather additional information.

http://m.mailtribune.com/news/20160902/found-doctor-under-investigation-by-medical-board

"The Oregon Medical Board can investigate doctors for a variety of allegations, including inappropriate or substandard care, doctoring while impaired, inappropriate prescribing, an inappropriate relationship with a patient or patient family member and criminal activity, according to the board."

So just hypothetically, if something along those lines happened, and she knew it was about to hit the fan...maybe that is why her husband answered questions so awkwardly.

He is very lucky she was found safe and sound. Because if she was missing still, he'd be the prime POI because of his odd way of speaking about her.

Now I am wondering if she maybe went off into the woods and contemplated deeply...and was depressed...

Not taking her phone seems so odd for a new mom. When my kids were young I always wanted to be in communication with whoever had them. It seemed odd that a young ER doctor wouldn't be thinking the same way since she is so aware of sudden emergencies kids can have.

But this other situation makes me think it is more complicated. And it helps me understand why the husband seemed evasive and guarded, and 'hurt' by the circumstances.

Could be a Teleka Patrick situation. Or a drug issue... she certainly wouldn't be the first doctor to have a drug problem.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Now I am wondering if she maybe went off into the woods and contemplated deeply...and was depressed...

Not taking her phone seems so odd for a new mom. When my kids were young I always wanted to be in communication with whoever had them. It seemed odd that a young ER doctor wouldn't be thinking the same way since she is so aware of sudden emergencies kids can have.

But this other situation makes me think it is more complicated. And it helps me understand why the husband seemed evasive and guarded, and 'hurt' by the circumstances.

Right. Way More to This Story!!

IMOO.

Uh oh. Dr. Ashley Laird is now under investigation by the Oregon Medical Board. Her license has been suspended while the investigation is going on. The investigation does not imply wrongdoing on Laird's part but is to protect the public.

According to the Oregon Medical Board, Laird’s license was declared inactive Monday, Aug. 29. In an interim stipulated order, the board wrote: “The board received credible information regarding the licensee (Laird) that resulted in the board initiating an investigation. The results of the investigation to date have raised concerns to the extent that the board believes it necessary that the licensee agree to cease the practice of medicine until the investigation is completed.”

https://kobi5.com/news/doctor-found-in-jacksonville-under-investigation-35180/

Thanks for the Update!! :)

So far, the only coverage locally is by KOBI-5 and the Mail Tribune. KOBI is getting lots of flak on FB for covering the story. However there are some interesting comments by a couple of people who seem to know what the investigation is about. If true, it's not an unusual story in the medical field, sadly, even among excellent and beloved doctors.

https://www.facebook.com/kobitv

Could be a Teleka Patrick situation. Or a drug issue... she certainly wouldn't be the first doctor to have a drug problem.

To be honest, I wondered about mental health issues, specifically, an eating disorder or something. If it's something she's been dealing with for a while, it would make sense that it's impacting her work.

So far, the only coverage locally is by KOBI-5 and the Mail Tribune. KOBI is getting lots of flak on FB for covering the story. However there are some interesting comments by a couple of people who seem to know what the investigation is about. If true, it's not an unusual story in the medical field, sadly, even among excellent and beloved doctors.

https://www.facebook.com/kobitv
A must read! Wow!

To be honest, I wondered about mental health issues, specifically, an eating disorder or something. If it's something she's been dealing with for a while, it would make sense that it's impacting her work.

I always assume drug addictions with anyone who has access to prescription medications. I've seen it over and over through my career in nursing, both doctors and nurses who get caught with their hands in the proverbial cookie jar. Luckily, most can enter rehab and lose prescribing or administration privileges instead of their entire careers.

I always assume drug addictions with anyone who has access to prescription medications. I've seen it over and over through my career in nursing, both doctors and nurses who get caught with their hands in the proverbial cookie jar. Luckily, most can enter rehab and lose prescribing or administration privileges instead of their entire careers.
BBM

Yes, prescription drug addiction seems very possible, particularly for someone who is also an ultra distance runner. Races are at least 50 miles. Injuries can lead to abuse of medication and some medications are used for performance enhancing purposes.

I have NO way of knowing if this is what happened to Ashley, but I can certainly see how using meds could start small and sneak up on someone with easy access in the medical field who is also engaged in an elite sport. If this is the case, I'm sure she can salvage her career. She has lots of support. I'm rooting for her if recovery is the course she needs to run.

AL finished first in an ultra distance race in 2014.

In the women’s race, Ashley Laird (Sonora, Calif.) improved on her 3rd place finish in the 2012 AR50 with a winning time of 7:18:05. Laird relaxed early in the race, allowing several other women to set the early pace. However, by mile 20, she had taken command of the lead. Early race leader and Auburn, Calif. local Kelly Cronin struggled with a hip issue and dropped at mile 38.

Meanwhile, Laird extended her advantage over the second half of the race to a final winning margin of 9 minutes. Laird had shown good recent form at last month’s Way Too Cool 50K, where she finished fourth.

http://www.runnersworld.com/rt-web-exclusive/american-river-50-finds-its-identity

The issue of performance enhancing drugs (PED) in ultra distance running is discussed in this article.

http://www.irunfar.com/2015/07/performance-enhancing-drugs-in-ultramarathons.html

Jacksonville, Ore.- The Asante Rogue Regional Medical Center emergency room physician who was missing for two days in the Jacksonville trails this summer has surrendered her medical license.

According to Oregon Medical Board documents, the Board received credible information Ashley Laird was in possible violation of the Medical Practice Act. The Board opened an investigation on Aug. 26, 2016- the same day Laird went missing in Jacksonville.

Laird, an avid runner, was found two days later at the head of a trail. She was dehydrated and suffering from minor injuries, according to search and rescue crews.

The next day, Monday, Aug. 29, Laird entered an agreement to voluntarily withdraw from practice while the Oregon Medical Board investigated her ability to “safely and competently practice medicine.”

On Jan. 5, 2017, Laird entered an agreement with the Board to surrender her medical license and waive her rights to a hearing or appeal.
https://kobi5.com/news/ashley-laird...tion-started-same-day-of-disappearance-45619/

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ioprgee
Back