OR OR - Jeremy Bright, 14, Myrtle Point, 14 Aug 1986

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I know this is a long shot, especially since the police and family are fairly confident they know who is responsible for Jeremy's abduction. But Paul Bonacci who was admittedly involved in the kidnapping of Johnny Gosch said in his interview with an investigator that he was involved with sexually abusing a boy named Jeremy who was kidnapped and brought to Sacramento and that the kidnappers who forced Paul to molest the kid eventually killed this Jeremy in Sacramento, CA. Bonacci gave a lot of testimony as he was a member of a child sex trafficking ring throughout all the 1980s and a lot of his info turned out to be true. However his memories were tainted and because of that they initially did not believe him when he came forward in 1990. I just saw the interview today and was trying to research any kid named Jeremy who went missing in 1985. I know that Jeremy Bright disappeared in 1986, but like I said Bonacci's info was not always very accurate but mostly true. He specifically said the kid's name was Jeremy and that he was kidnapped from he thought Idaho and that he was killed in September 1985. The closest person to the description he gave in his interview that I could find who was listed as missing was Jeremy Bright so I thought I would just throw that out there in case anyone wants to sleuth it further.

I know this is a long shot, especially since the police and family are fairly confident they know who is responsible for Jeremy's abduction. But Paul Bonacci who was admittedly involved in the kidnapping of Johnny Gosch said in his interview with an investigator that he was involved with sexually abusing a boy named Jeremy who was kidnapped and brought to Sacramento and that the kidnappers who forced Paul to molest the kid eventually killed this Jeremy in Sacramento, CA. Bonacci gave a lot of testimony as he was a member of a child sex trafficking ring thought all the 1980s and a lot of his info turned out to be true. However his memories were tainted and because of that they initially did not believe him when he came forward in 1990. I just saw the interview today and was trying to research any kid named Jeremy who went missing in 1985. I know that Jeremy Bright disappeared in 1986, but like I said Bonacci's info was not always very accurate but mostly true. He specifically said the kid's name was Jeremy and that he was kidnapped from he thought Idaho and that he was killed in September 1985. The closest person to the description he gave in his interview that I could find who was listed as missing was Jeremy Bright so I thought I would just throw that out there in case anyone wants to sleuth it further.

I have read through the cold cases on the missing in that region of Oregon and there are a few boys who were missing...and one I believe found deceased. My husband and I looked at a map (we are from Oregon) and came to the conclusion that it is not beyond the realm of possibility that a few, if not all of these boys were abducted by the same individual. A lot of serial killers have traveled much farther for victims. I am very interested in these cases as they are still unsolved.
Do you have a list of names/locations? I'm very interested in this possibility and am curious if the coastal highway is significant? I know Duane Fochtman was Lincoln City, about three hours' straight shot north from Jeremy Bright. Then if you were to count Kerby Bessey among the teens, Bessey would be a half-hour north of Bright.

I would be curious if there are other cases along the coast in towns like Florence, Yachats, Astoria, Newport, Seaside, Bandon, Port Orford, Gold Beach, Brookings, or farther into California around Crescent City and Eureka.

So, I actually reported to missing kids that this could have been the boy Paul was talking about. I reported this last year and never heard a thing back.

I literally sent an email to missing kids saying that I think these people may have taken him. I said that in Paul Bonnanci's prison maybe videos,(I can't remember) he talked about a Jeremy. It was 2019 when I reported it. I never heard anything back.

Reading through this whole thread on the eve of the 35th year of Jeremy's disappearance my thoughts are with this young man and his loved ones, here or no longer with us-it seems very likely he suffered a terrible fate and the four men S'te described likely got away with it-one of whom may still be in the state and have information. Do not forget Jeremy or all the longer-term missing. These people of all ages need vigilance despite the passage of time. S'te, if you are still on the forum, can you update us as to anything with investigative or family?

I live in Oregon and drive thru Mrytle Point on the way to weekends sometimes spent in Bandon. This case crosses my mind from time to time. I still can’t figure out when I read about it why his Mom had to report him missing on Saturday when she arrived in town? Why didn’t the stepdad report him missing Thursday night when he never came home or Friday morning?

Jeremy Bright Vanished From A County Fair - His Disappearance Is Still Unsolved After 35 Years

July 7, 2021

By every account, Jeremy Bright was an all-American boy of the 1980s who enjoyed sports and spending time with friends. "He knew everybody and everybody knew him," his mother recalled in a segment on Unsolved Mysteries, adding, "He was a real outgoing kid." In mid-August of 1986, Bright went to visit family for a week before starting his freshman year of high school. It was supposed to be a normal trip, but everything changed when Bright went with his sister and a friend to the local county fair. The last credible sighting of Bright was later that evening when he stopped by his grandmother's tavern for some money. His family would never see him again. What ensued was a delayed police investigation followed by a series of tips and leads that went nowhere.

Jeremy Bright seemingly vanished into thin air over 30 years ago, leaving no trace behind. Below we'll examine the facts surrounding the case, including what went wrong in the investigation and why Bright is presumed dead.

Bright And His Sister Were At The Fair On 'Kids Day'

On August 14, 1986, in Myrtle Point, Oregon, Jeremy Bright and his sister, S'te (pronounced "Ess-tee") headed off for the 75th annual Coos County Fair and Rodeo. It was an event the siblings looked forward to every year, and this year was particularly special since the children had moved with their mother, Diane Beatty, to Grants Pass, OR, after Beatty separated from their stepfather the previous year. Their stepfather, along with grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins, all still lived in Myrtle Point, and the siblings planned to spend the week staying with family.

By all accounts, the events leading up to the day Jeremy went missing were ordinary, but at some point in the evening of August 14, things went horribly wrong.

Bright Failed To Meet His Sister At The Ferris Wheel As Planned

Bright and his sister separated at the fair sometime around 1:30 pm on August 14, but made plans to meet up at the Ferris wheel at 5 PM that evening. S'te waited for her brother at the Ferris wheel, but when he failed to meet her as planned, she reported him missing to a police officer. The officer simply reassured S'te that Bright would eventually show up, but as the evening wore on, there was no sign of him.

Later accounts indicate that Bright was sighted in the afternoon and evening, so it's unclear if he was truly missing when S'te spoke with the police officer. He was supposed to be with his friend Johnny, but the timeline of when they were together is also hazy. Authorities would later note that an Amber Alert would have likely been issued if it existed at the time.

The Disappearance Was Briefly Mentioned In A Local Paper Five Days Later

Despite Bright's family's frantic search for him, his disappearance did not elicit much media coverage at first. Myrtle Point's local newspaper eventually ran a small piece about Bright, which appeared on the second page on August 19, 1986, five days after he was first reported missing. The headline simply read, "Youth is missing," and went on to give a brief description of Bright and the circumstances surrounding his disappearance.

It's speculated that the gap between Bright's disappearance and it being covered in the paper, along with not running the story on the front page, slowed the search to find him.

There Were Sightings Of Bright Later In The Day

Conflicting reports claim S'te saw her brother near the Ferris wheel or getting into a pickup truck between 1 and 1:30 PM on the day of the fair, but there are two accounts from family members which suggest he was still alive that evening. Bright's mother recalls him calling her from a payphone at the fair around 4:45 PM, just 15 minutes before he was supposed to meet S'te at the Ferris wheel. Beatty didn't notice anything wrong when she spoke to her son.

Family members also reported that Bright stopped by the local tavern they ran to get some money around 9:45 pPMm that night. This encounter is believed to be the last credible sighting of Bright.

Police Briefly Believed Bright Ran Away With The Traveling Carnival

When it became clear to Bright's family that he was nowhere to be found, police theorized that he might have been hiding out in an attempt to leave with the fair. The fact that his mother and stepfather were separating was used as reasoning for wanting to run away. However, Sergeant Steve Dalton of the Coos County Sheriff's Office investigated the theory from all angles and didn't believe Bright was a runaway. In an interview on Unsolved Mysteries, Dalton stated that Bright was not "the type of a kid who would have struck out on his own," based on Dalton's extensive interviews with friends and family.

Years later, the Coos County Sheriff's Department followed up on a tip that a man named Jeremy Bright was working for a traveling circus in Florida. Although authorities questioned the man, it turned out to be a different Jeremy Bright.

Bright Left His Wallet, Keys, And Watch At His Stepfather’s House

When Diane Beatty drove down to Myrtle Point to pick up S'te and help search for Jeremy, she didn't think her son had gone far. Upon arriving at the home of Bright's stepfather, Beatty found Bright's wallet, keys, and watch. Beatty recalled that it was a new watch and important to her son. "He wouldn't leave without them," Beatty later said of her son's belongings. Today, there is still no explanation as to why Bright's personal belongings were left at his stepfather's.

Nothing else of Jeremy's was ever found in the investigation, including the blue nylon shorts and red tank top he was last seen wearing.

Bright’s Babysitter, Terry Lee Steinhoff, Became A Person Of Interest

When Bright first went missing, S'te told authorities she had seen him in a pickup truck with a man. That man was reportedly Bright's former babysitter, Terry Lee Steinhoff. There were reports made at the time that Bright might have attended a party with Steinhoff the evening of August 14, but nothing has ever been verified. One witness said they also saw Steinhoff's brother, David, covered in blood the night Bright went missing.

Although Steinhoff and his brother were both questioned by police, they never became official suspects. Steinhoff did, however, remain a person of interest until he passed. Authorities also searched Steinhoff's property but found no evidence that Bright or his remains were there.

Steinhoff Was Convicted Of Murdering A Woman Several Years Later

The same week Unsolved Mysteries aired a segment about Jeremy Bright, Terry Lee Steinhoff pled guilty to the murder of 32-year-old Patricia Morris. Steinhoff reportedly stabbed Morris in the throat multiple times before leaving her body near a bar in Coos County. Steinhoff himself later died in prison after overdosing in 2007.

According to authorities, he never confessed to any involvement in Bright's disappearance. "We tried multiple times to talk to him. He was never forthcoming," Coos County Sheriff Craig Zanni stated in an interview.

Many Fruitless Tips And Theories Have Been Explored Over The Years

As with any case of a missing child, there is no shortage of theories in Jeremy's disappearance. Some witnesses have said that he was accidentally shot at a nearby lake, while others claim he was drugged at a party. When asked about the theories in an interview, Bright's mother stated, "Every time I'd hear a new one, I'd have nightmares for a week or so." While nothing could be verified, she hoped that at the very least Jeremy didn't suffer.

Bright's friend Johnny was also reported to be upset the night Jeremy disappeared and had nightmares afterward. Johnny died in 2011 without ever revealing any knowledge about what happened on August 14.

The Coos County Sheriff's Department still receives tips about Bright's disappearance following reruns of his Unsolved Mysteries episode.

Bright’s Family Held A Memorial Service In 2011

On the 25th anniversary of Jeremy Bright vanishing from the Coos County Fair, his family held a memorial service to commemorate his life. While Bright's family assumes that he died on or around the day he vanished, his mother, Diane Beatty, still holds out for some sort of closure.

"Of course I’ve got hope. We hear all the time of miraculous things happening," Beatty said in an interview after the memorial. Bright's family believes that his remains are still somewhere in Coos County, but are as of yet undiscovered.

Tips And New Leads Continue To Surface

As recently as 2018, the Coos County Sheriff's Office has received tips regarding Bright's disappearance. One recent lead was that Bright's body had been disposed of in a well in Coos County. Authorities searched the well specified in the tip, but no trace of Bright was found.

Sheriff Craig Zanni noted that his department always follows up on tips in an effort to bring closure to Bright's family. "I always think of the family, imagine them walking through a crowd looking at faces wondering if they just missed him," Zanni stated in an interview. It was also noted in the interview that Zanni keeps a photo of Jeremy Bright in his office so as not to forget that the case remains unsolved.

New tips are reported to come in each year around the time of the Coos County Fair.

Inside The Unsolved Mystery Of Jeremy Bright's 1986 Disappearance

I have heard from a long time coquille resident that it was Hoyt (sp) Richardson. I am curious if he was ever interviewed or had a polygraph test?

The person who told me the information is his (Hoyt sp?) cousin. He seemed very sincere and credible when he told me. If there is even a shred of evidence the police can use to bring him in for a polygraph they should. As a mother of a 14 yr old, my heart goes out to his family. I can only imagine the agony his mother has gone through all these years. She deserves to know the truth of what happened to her son.

The person who told me the information is his (Hoyt sp?) cousin. He seemed very sincere and credible when he told me. If there is even a shred of evidence the police can use to bring him in for a polygraph they should. As a mother of a 14 yr old, my heart goes out to his family. I can only imagine the agony his mother has gone through all these years. She deserves to know the truth of what happened to her son.
If your source has not provided this information to the detectives, you should. They may have already received this tip but in case they haven’t, it would give them a lead to follow up on. In some cases a person may already be a suspect in a different case. If you hear something, say something even if it leads nowhere.

You may even be able to provide this information anonymously through a local tip line. Most counties have a phone number for this purpose.

Coos County Sheriff's Office​

(541) 396-7800

Agency Case Number86-245

Daniel Looney, Captain​

Dec 31, 2022

I'm new to this case (and can't access the youtube videos) and have a few thoughts and questions.

* If police  were given items of potential evidence (bloody sleeping bag, gun, etc), have the items ever been tested? If so, why have there been no arrests? If not (tested), why not?
* Could members of the local police have been covering for someone and/or avoiding investigation of certain individuals?
* If Johnny witnessed whatever was done to Jeremy, I don't understand how he wasn't also killed. He was obviously quite traumatized.
The two other friends I haven't heard much about since that time. The only reason that I can think that they wouldn't come forward is due to the stigma of being victimized in the way that they were. If they really were there I pray that they have the strength and courage to come forward even after all this time.
RSBM
If I understood correctly, Terry was Jeremy's former babysitter, who later killed a woman for refusing his advances, and David is a sex offender. Jeremy and Johnny may have been drugged and sexually assaulted by the group of them (TS, DS, HR, etc). Is this what you were inferring? My apologies if I misunderstood.

38DMOR - Jeremy Doland Bright last updated 3/20/2023
ALT TXT
ALT TXT
ALT TXT
ALT TXT
ALT TXT

The images on the right have been age-progressed to 34 (circa 2006), 40 (circa 2012) and 48 (circa 2020) years.

Name: Jeremy Doland Bright
Case Classification: Endangered Missing
Missing Since: August 14, 1986
Location Last Seen: Myrtle Point, Coos County, Oregon

Physical Description​

Date of Birth: May 25, 1972
Race: White
Height: 6'0"
Weight: 140 lbs.
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Green
Nickname/Alias: Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Mole on the right side of his chin, A faint scar on the left side of the upper lip, scars on his forehead and nose, Had a broken left index finger at time he went missing

Identifiers​

Dentals: Available
Fingerprints: Available
DNA: Available

Clothing & Personal Items​

Clothing: Black windbreaker
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Black, Size 13 Nike shoes with red shoelaces

Circumstances of Disappearance​

Jeremy Bright was last seen at the Coos County Fair in Oregon with friends on August 14, 1986. Jeremy and his sister were staying with their stepfather in Myrtle Point at the time.

The last time Jeremy's mother spoke to him, he was on a pay phone outside McKay's Market in Myrtle Point and she was in Grants Pass. She told him she would pick them up on Saturday and to meet her at the Ferris wheel. But Jeremy never showed up. Jeremy was protective of his kid sister and never would have left her alone. He didn't take his wallet or extra clothes. Dozens of people have been questioned, log and beaver ponds have been drained in search of his body, scuba divers have explored wells, swamps and rivers, and various potential grave sites across the county have been dug up. Some people of interest have never been cleared due to their lack of cooperation.

Investigating Agency(s)​

Agency Name: Coos County Sheriffs Department
Agency Contact Person: Captain Daniel Looney
Agency Phone Number: 541-396-3121
Agency E-Mail: coosso@co.coos.or.us
Agency Case Number: 86-245

NamUs Case Number: 4961
NCIC Case Number: M-229352950
NCMEC Case Number: 600424

Information Source(s)​

NamUs
NCMEC