OR - Kyron Horman, 7 yo Second grader, Portland, 4 June 2010 - Part #16

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just wrote a long post and lost it. :furious: Anyway, short version-- I'm a previous lurker. I'm local so decided to join in here.

My previous post described in greater detail that my kids went to a PPS elementary of similar size to Skyline and the security sounds similar. I'm not surprised that IF the teacher thought Kyron left with SM, she wouldn't follow up further.

The thing I was curious about is what a poster said in the last thread about many Skyline students being transfers. This is common in the Portland School District and I was thinking about it last night. It's possible that kids from Sauvie Island would attend Skyline. There's an elementary on the the island, but Skyline, which includes grades 6-8, is actually closer that the middle school they would normally attend. It also is a highly rated school. I wouldn't be surprised if people from Sauvie Island would send their kids to Skyline. Thus, providing a stronger link to the Island that just a good place to dump a body. I was curious whether the info the previous poster found, indicated where the transfers are from and whether some of them are out of district.

yes i could have swore i saw it stated somewhere that he was there at all time except to sleep

edit found it

"Kyron Horman's immediate family issued a statement Wednesday, as read by Multnomah County Sheriff's Captain Mike Shults, the liaison who only leaves Kyron's family to sleep at night. The agency is with the family around the clock."
http://www.kxl.com/KYRON-SEARCH--Family-Statement-Read--More-Searcher/7399304

and also here: http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/06/family_says_please_dont_stop_s.html "Shults, who read the Hormans' statement, said he has been with the family continuously, going home only to sleep. "

Thank you so much for finding that!

It's still there. She's just made her name unsearchable.

Ohhhhh. Thanks. I was going to say I didn't know how you could do that but I do remember seeing that in the set up under something like 'who can search for you'. She probably changed it to friends only or friends of friends. That was smart of her.

Since the police has had no legal authority to be in the home of this family unless they are given permission, I would say they are all very thankful to have them there keeping them abreast about what they are doing to find Kyron.

I don't think that would stop the chatter for those who are so convinced of anyone's guilt.

I do expect that the FBI agent who is assisting Captain Schultz with the family has an educational background that makes them an expert in counseling parents of missing children.

They may be getting threats from outsiders. Those that do not even know them. I imagine the police is watching that closely but nothing is going to happen to them with the police right there with them.

LE has no obligation to come out publicly and rule this family or anyone else in or out. I imagine most of the community that actually lives there and knows the family are giving them support.

IMO

Thanks Oceanblueeyes - Is it normal for LE to take this long to clear the family. I'm just asking because I honestly don't know.

do
not
link
to
personal
family
information

Well I would sure hope that LE is not compromising the rights of a potential suspect by taking unusual measures. This could cause a good evidence to get tossed right out the window. If LE behaves as though the family member is a suspect, a good lawyer can argue that the suspect should have then been advised of his rights. If it walks like a duck and right to remain silent and all that jazz.

What I mean is if LE has moved in there because they have their sights on a family member, it would be a perty slippery slope and huge error. imo.

However, if it is NOT unusual for LE to spend 24/7 with the family of a high profile missing persons case, then it would certainly bolster their case if they should, by any chance, stumble upon important information. Or there is no suspicion and they are doing what is necessary in a high profile case.

So, if they are making these rules up they best be careful cause if the investigation should turn inward, that could cost you a conviction.

Miranda rights only attach during a police interrogation. If the LE present isn't asking questions of a suspect, then would be no problem.

Welcome Rosetattoo. I'm a local too and I saw a KGW newsclip, last week when the search at Sauvie first started, that mentioned that the person being interviewed was a Skyline parent. So yes, it appears there are parents who live on Sauvie Island. (or at least one, to be precise :) )

cluciano63 said:
We can't compare this case to Somer's as we do not know what has happened to Kyron. Somer's body was found within a short time, even if an arrest was not made for some time. We do not have any reason at this point to assume that a sexual predator has taken Kyron and killed him, IMO.
The details of the two cases are quite different. But, the way the 2 cases are/were handled are almost exact.

IMO

Welcome rosetattoo......

interesting thoughts regarding the student transfers....hmmm.......very good thought...

I think Miranda rights are when a person is arrested. Up until that point LE can ask all that they want, right?

With all the projects being delivered to school that morning, I would assume a lot of trunks were open in the parking lot as well as car doors. I hope everyone that was at that school that day has searched their vehicle.

Well I would sure hope that LE is not compromising the rights of a potential suspect by taking unusual measures. This could cause a good evidence to get tossed right out the window. If LE behaves as though the family member is a suspect, a good lawyer can argue that the suspect should have then been advised of his rights. If it walks like a duck and right to remain silent and all that jazz.

What I mean is if LE has moved in there because they have their sights on a family member, it would be a perty slippery slope and huge error. imo.

I'm not sure I agree with this. LE can always be in someone's home if they consent. If they asked the officers to leave, they'd have to do so unless they could get a warrant, but if they're welcomed in there's no problem. I think keeping that close is completely consistent with LE believing that someone in the house may be a suspect. Miranda would only apply if a person is in custody, which they're clearly not.

I'm sure the LE doesn't want to publicly clear anyone...holding their cards close to the vest for obvious reason.

Possibility?

SM takes Kyron to school,
SM and Kyron set up IB project in his classroom and they do a quick tour of the other projects.
SM tells teacher across noisy gym that Kyron has an appointment Monday (this is Friday so it is to let her know he won't be there the next school day) but teacher only hears has an appointment and believes Kyron is going to be leaving with Mom at some point today. (Friday)
SM leaves at 8:45 after the 2nd bell rings and Kyron heads down the hall to class.
Kids are put in groups of 6 to tour the IB fair.
During tour Kyron has to use the bathroom. Perp grabs him and exits the building.
Sub, para, volunteer parent or whoevers group he was in gets back to classroom with kids and says wait Kyron is missing, teacher says he probably went to get a drink or use the bathroom.
Kyron doesn't come back, teacher may or may not look for him before deciding he has now left with mom for his appointment.

Or same scenario however when the group comes back to the classroom Kyron does not come in but tells his friend 'I am going to see the electric project' (which he knows about so has probably already seen)
Kyron is grabbed by perp while kids are filing into classrooms and heads counts are being taken (or roll call).
Sub, para, volunteer parent notices he is gone, teacher thinks he went to bathroom or to get a drink. and after looking for him decides he left with SM.

I am sure I missed something but I do believe he and step mom could have been seen together by his teacher and another 'instructor' and by a friend in the doorway and a conversation overheard by TP.
And he still coulda been grabbed by an opportunistic perp.

Welcome Rosetattoo. I'm a local too and I saw a KGW newsclip, last week when the search at Sauvie first started, that mentioned that the person being interviewed was a Skyline parent. So yes, it appears there are parents who live on Sauvie Island. (or at least one, to be precise :) )

But Sauvie Island is not even in the same district as Skyline. Could it be that the parent of a Skyline student was out on Sauvie Island for some other reason (other than living there)? Sauvie Island has a perfectly good (highly rated) K-6 y school of its own ... although I suppose the parents could have gotten a boundary exemption.

I just wrote a long post and lost it. :furious: Anyway, short version-- I'm a previous lurker. I'm local so decided to join in here.

My previous post described in greater detail that my kids went to a PPS elementary of similar size to Skyline and the security sounds similar. I'm not surprised that IF the teacher thought Kyron left with SM, she wouldn't follow up further.

The thing I was curious about is what a poster said in the last thread about many Skyline students being transfers. This is common in the Portland School District and I was thinking about it last night. It's possible that kids from Sauvie Island would attend Skyline. There's an elementary on the the island, but Skyline, which includes grades 6-8, is actually closer that the middle school they would normally attend. It also is a highly rated school. I wouldn't be surprised if people from Sauvie Island would send their kids to Skyline. Thus, providing a stronger link to the Island that just a good place to dump a body. I was curious whether the info the previous poster found, indicated where the transfers are from and whether some of them are out of district.
I think I posted a link, but just in case I'll do it again.

http://www.pps.k12.or.us/schools-c/profiles/enrollment/enroll_out.php?rpt=444

Last school year had 29.6% of students as transfers from outside the neighborhood. Nearly a third. I can't find anything from this year, but I'd assume it's probably close. (this page was updated 5/20/10)

"Skyline is a candidate school for the IB PYP and MYP Programmes. 29.6% (87 of 294) of Skyline's student body is made up of transfers. There is limited space for additional student growth due to the increase in numbers over the past 5 years."

I didn't see anything about where they were from; that info is probably out there, I just have no idea where lol.

Maybe it's buried in here somewhere?

http://www.pps.k12.or.us/schools-c/make_a_choice.php

Possibility?

SM takes Kyron to school,
SM and Kyron set up IB project in his classroom and they do a quick tour of the other projects.
SM tells teacher across noisy gym that Kyron has an appointment Monday (this is Friday so it is to let her know he won't be there the next school day) but teacher only hears has an appointment and believes Kyron is going to be leaving with Mom at some point today. (Friday)
SM leaves at 8:45 after the 2nd bell rings and Kyron heads down the hall to class.
Kids are put in groups of 6 to tour the IB fair.
During tour Kyron has to use the bathroom. Perp grabs him and exits the building.
Sub, para, volunteer parent or whoevers group he was in gets back to classroom with kids and says wait Kyron is missing, teacher says he probably went to get a drink or use the bathroom.
Kyron doesn't come back, teacher may or may not look for him before deciding he has now left with mom for his appointment.

Or same scenario however when the group comes back to the classroom Kyron does not come in but tells his friend 'I am going to see the electric project' (which he knows about so has probably already seen)
Kyron is grabbed by perp while kids are filing into classrooms and heads counts are being taken (or roll call).
Sub, para, volunteer parent notices he is gone, teacher thinks he went to bathroom or to get a drink. and after looking for him decides he left with SM.

I am sure I missed something but I do believe he and step mom could have been seen together by his teacher and another 'instructor' and by a friend in the doorway and a conversation overheard by TP.
And he still coulda been grabbed by an opportunistic perp.

I think that very well could have happened. At this point (after he has not been found now for 11 days), that feels most likely to me. Although I do think there is a real possibility that whoever the perp is had help (after the fact?) from someone at the school in covering up their actions. Maybe the perp is a spouse or child of someone who works at the school.

Regarding LE staying with the family, are all the parents staying in the same home? If not and the parents are staying at different homes, which set of parents are LE staying with? Sorry if this has already been discussed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member