OR - Kyron Horman, 7 yo Second grader, Portland, 4 June 2010 - Part #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
As I'm semi-local, I've taken the liberty to spread the word via FB. Many of my friends are catching on, from all over the state of WA and even central OR. I hope just his picture will bring news...

The following website has alot of great advice/resources for parents of a missing/abducted child: http://www.teamhope.org/nonfamilydo.html

Snipped;​

~ TEAM HOPE ~​
INTERACTION WITH LAW ENFORCEMENT​

*Work as a team. Try to establish a teamwork approach with law enforcement. They need you as part of the team. Cooperation with them is essential.

*Investigation of the family. You should be aware that law enforcement needs to investigate the family since approximately eight-five percent (85%) of abductions are by family members or someone known to the family. You can also expect law enforcement to ask some hard and difficult questions. DO NOT TAKE THIS PERSONALLY. Remember; keep focused on your goal of getting your child back.

*Law enforcement contact person. Establish or have law enforcement establish a contact person (one person) within your local law enforcement agency so you are consistently and accurately informed of on-going developments in your case.

*Ask for more help. Ask the FBI and/or your state crime bureau to assist in the investigation. Call the Governor of your State if need be to ask him/her for a show of support for your cause. Your Governor could also call in the National Guard to conduct a ground search.​

DEALING WITH NEWS MEDIA​

*Contact all local media. Police may have to initiate the request, but you or your spokesperson will be responsible for maintaining contact and keeping attention focused on the abduction story. Set up a phone listing of these local media sources so that they are readily accessible to you. The Jacob Wetterling Foundation has listings of news, magazines and talk shows.​

As I'm semi-local, I've taken the liberty to spread the word via FB. Many of my friends are catching on, from all over the state of WA and even central OR. I hope just his picture will bring news...

I went out to lunch today in east Portland, about 25 miles from the school and saw a flyer posted. People are definately getting out the word.

They were at some bear museum or something like that.It was the family.

Yep, back in ohh...1984 or so, when I was in third or fourth grade, we had a lesson about this and our homework was to choose a password for that reason. I remember my password was two words said together, one of them for sure was "banana," and the other I'm not sure...possibly "apple." Point is, I haven't needed a parental "password" for decades, but I still (almost) remember it.

Unfortunately, it won't work in all situations, but at least could stop someone from tricking a kid that way. We also weren't supposed to wear clothes or items with our names visible, so strangers couldn't pretend to know us by calling us by name.

Another problem is that yeah, kids are often abducted by family members or other people they know which could potentially pose a problem with the code word strategy because kids might not question a close relative unless specifically instructed to due to custody issues, etc. I don't know. I'm just so sad.

I was thinking the same thing. If there is a short time span for the abductor to work, he or she could snatch the child before the child even knew what was about to hit him or her, let alone the child asking for the password.

As for the zoo picture, his face is in the shadow, thus making him darker complexioned and thus he looks like someone else. Also, he is wearing sunglasses which also adds a different dimension to his appearance.

My older kids got their phones taken away for punishment. After hanging out in this place for a bit, they started getting punished for not having their phone fully charged and on them at all times. Times have definitely changed.

What does everyone think they are going to discuss at the parent meeting tomorrow? What can they discuss?

The importance of not allowing your children or grandchildren to speak to media perhaps?

Unless it was a tiny phone that fit into his pocket I can't imagine it either (to a point)? However, its not impossible. On the flip side, a friend of mine got cell phones for her grandkids. they were about Kyron's age if I remember correctly. She wanted them to be able to get in touch with her when they needed her, emergency or not.
My goddaughter has a Firefly telephone. It is programmed to only call 5 telephone numbers and accept calls from the 5 telephones. This is for emergencies.

I went out to lunch today in east Portland, about 25 miles from the school and saw a flyer posted. People are definately getting out the word.

It's true! And my WA friends know I'm on WS and expect more info from me than what's given from LE. I say we don't know any more either so... :(

Here in the county, rural areas and on busy roads, the buses stop at the end of the driveways.

but why would the bus stop if there was no kid to drop off :waitasec:

unless there's another residence close enough that they do multiple drop-offs at one point and the parents gather there ...

Sure...

I didn't say that there was anything odd about it, I was just asking if this was new news.

Everything I had read heretofore had only mentioned his mother meeting him at the bus stop and calling the school.
right, pufnstuf? i noticed that also and wondered the same thing. he could have meant it as a collective we, as i did the other day when my son-in-law came home from the hospital. i told my older daughter that "we" finally got him home at 7pm that night, when in reality my younger daughter is the one who got him home. or did they all go to get Kyron from the bus? on the same note, if a bunch of us go get my granddaughter from school my daughter might say "when i picked her up from school, yadda yadda" and unless specifically questioned might not even tell that four other people were with her. this is getting very frustrating and i sooooo wanted him to be found today :(

I was thinking the same thing. If there is a short time span for the abductor to work, he or she could snatch the child before the child even knew what was about to hit him or her, let alone the child asking for the password.

As for the zoo picture, his face is in the shadow, thus making him darker complexioned and thus he looks like someone else. Also, he is wearing sunglasses which also adds a different dimension to his appearance.
Blessedly only .47 of 1000 kids are abducted by strangers.
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fy867

An old phone that's charged up can at least call 911, be used as a calculator and store some data and games. Some people give those to very young children and donate them to Domestic Violence prevention groups.

Wondering though...does a phone need a cell service provider to activate the gps?

I think the meeting may be LE bringing the parents in to tell them that this looks like an abduction, that they may be intending to release that info, perhaps with a description or sketch, and that they're doing this so the parents won't be so upset just hearing it cold on the news, particularly if it's announced during the noon presser tomorrow. They'd have parents running to the school to get their kids out of there, and/or they'd get tons of phone calls. By bringing them in, they could answer their questions on the spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjF7nx