Found Deceased OR - Owen Klinger, 18, University of Portland, 6 Oct 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This is true. That said, UP is a bubble within the larger N. Portland and panhandlers are not welcome on the small, private, heavily patrolled campus. The ATM is in a highly populated area on campus so if someone did see him take out the money/decide to follow and mess with him, he would have had to be the type who could blend in on a campus of well-kept students and faculty. In my experience as a student some years ago, those who do not blend in on campus are swiftly identified and removed.
Yeah i'm no Alumni, it's a beautiful campus. The state really benefits when UP/PSU have safe reputations, i can't disparage their locations. Just areas within a city, crime like any other major city.

But then they would have had to follow him quite a ways off campus before trying to get his money since he was seen on camera by that bus station. Would robbers be that patient? And if they did steal his money and it went wrong, where is he? I doubt ATM robbers would spend much time thoroughly concealing a body.

Just playing devil’s advocate—I don’t know!
I'm unclear whether Owen grew up in city limits or a suburb of Portland. I've got no real gauge on his level of familiarity with the neighborhood. And don't misconstrue this as trash talking any specific neighborhood. But all my time spent around NOPO has really made me uneasy there as of late. If i had to boil it down, i'd just say maybe the property crime bubble has spilled over into more dangerous criminality. Just my take, from a NE neighborhood history buff.

I'm unclear whether Owen grew up in city limits or a suburb of Portland. I've got no real gauge on his level of familiarity with the neighborhood. And don't misconstrue this as trash talking any specific neighborhood. But all my time spent around NOPO has really made me uneasy there as of late. If i had to boil it down, i'd just say maybe the property crime bubble has spilled over into more dangerous criminality. Just my take, from a NE neighborhood history buff.
Thanks. It definitely helps to know what the area is like. If he looked like a naive college kid he could have been a target for sure. But yeah, I wonder where he grew up exactly.

ETA Welcome to WS!!!

Last edited:
Thanks. It definitely helps to know what the area is like. If he looked like a naive college kid he could have been a target for sure. But yeah, I wonder where he grew up exactly.
Maybe he left to work fishing/canning in Alaska? That is pretty common around here. Ski resorts also start hiring this time of year.

I'm unclear whether Owen grew up in city limits or a suburb of Portland. I've got no real gauge on his level of familiarity with the neighborhood.

He grew up within city limits and attended Grant (which should give you a pretty good clue of where in NE). I don't know Owen personally, but do know his friend group and would say they are generally very much street smart and savvy about living in this area of Portland. I would say most high school kids in the area would be at least somewhat familiar with taking the city bus, being safe in public in a city and are certainly accustomed to running across homeless people or those in mental health crisis etc. Definitely not the suburbs.

I keep thinking he may have been meeting someone to buy something. ( reason for ATM) I keep thinking if he didn’t get on the busses, and video on the main streets aren’t showing his walking down the streets, I keep coming back that someone may have driven to sale the item and then he was taken in a vehicle and/or he walked to a home in the area to make the purchase and they aren’t allowing him to leave. It would be impossible to know, but you wonder if anyone in the area changed their normal daily habits. Also, has any of his belongings ended up in anyone’s garbage cans?

I hope Owen is found safe soon. I agree with other posters that info from his phone or other digital avenues are needed quickly.

However, if he used something like WhatsApp, then we may never know who he communicated with (isn’t that app the one that’s hard to retrieve?) anyway, I hope his phone records are being retrieved! MOO

Kellee Azar‏Verified account @KelleeAzar 1h1 hour ago
Portland Police say they don't have a lot of leads when it comes to the case of missing @UPortland student #OwenKlinger. Police tell me this case is strange for Portland, as usually people are found quickly. They say anyone with information are asked to call police. #LiveOnK2

EG4XiPZVUAAJvSB.png:large

Kellee Azar on Twitter

Police ask for any and all info in disappearance of Univ. of Portland student

"Sgt. Brad Yakots with the Portland Police Bureau says the circumstances surrounding the situation play a big role in how they prioritize an investigation.

Things like items at the scene that indicate anything nefarious, comments made to friends and family, and whether they went missing without a trace.

Nowadays, police rely on social media to quickly get the word out about missing persons cases."

“To be candid-- we don’t have a lot of leads. These block searches are great, we have MCSO searchers, but once they search the blocks where he was last seen, where do we go from there?” Sgt. Yacots said.

As for the next steps, Yacots said

Tips from the public are key.

“We rely on tips and we use our social media, that’s where the majority of people are found,” said Sgt. Yacots.

Police say even the smallest or what may seem like an insignificant detail can actually be huge for investigators, so they stress, if you know anything -- to give police a call."

Maybe I'm overthinking this, but if Owen went somewhere to harm himself and he didn't want to be found, going to the ATM and withdrawing money seems like a good way to throw people off their tracks and assume something else happened. Just thinking out loud here...

Or he could have withdrawn the money needed to do the deed far from home. We know people have committed suicide far from home before - Lyle Stevik is the most famous case but there are others.

Presumably, he had his phone. Any updates about pings?

If not, then I'd say that's not great news. Surely if the Portland PD has his phone records, they've got some leads?

Have roommates spoken to what might be missing from the dorm? (e.g., phone charger, medicines, etc) and what was left behind? (Lacrosse equipment, textbooks).

Was he an outdoor type?

There's no way your average college can post counselors all over campus for 6-7 weeks out of the semester (midterms do not all happen at the same time, neither do finals). In fact, from now until finals, there will be tests at most colleges. Actual mental health counselors would be necessary, as academic counselors are there for a different purpose. Most colleges (even big universities) can barely cover regular walk-in demand for mental health appointments.

People are at risk in many places, and general mental health services are barely available. It's very sad, but people prefer to spend their money on things other than state taxes, it seems.

“To be candid-- we don’t have a lot of leads. These block searches are great, we have MCSO searchers, but once they search the blocks where he was last seen, where do we go from there?” Sgt. Yacots said.

Oh dear. That quote doesn’t exactly elicit any confidence that the PPB are on top of this and can find Owen. Rather than wait for tips to come in, they need to be searching his computer, phone, and SM accounts. His parents must be so heartbroken right now.

Oh dear. That quote doesn’t exactly elicit any confidence that the PPB are on top of this and can find Owen. Rather than wait for tips to come in, they need to be searching his computer, phone, and SM accounts. His parents must be so heartbroken right now.

Who says they haven't? There may not be anything there.

It sounds like they have exhausted leads and come up short on any information. Do we know if they got warrants for his phone and social media accounts? I don't believe we have heard whether they have. I know it's difficult in the US to get warrants for those things when it's an adult missing, and there are not many signs of foul play. I wondered if Owen was on his parent's phone plan? That would at least give them some information without needing warrants, but that may have yielded nothing too. His family seems super proactive, so I am hoping they can come up with something to lead them in the right direction.

The Police may have more info but don’t want to share with the public. I’m heartbroken if this isn’t the case! It’s impossible to vanish in to thin air on a major street with businesses having video! It just seems like he had to be picked up or went to a house in the area. It just doesn’t make sense! I’m trying to have positive thoughts that good leads are found soon!

I talked to my own 17 year old son about this case. The way he was being evasive with his roommate makes him think he may have meeting up with a boy or man.

I am so worried about this boy. I can't imagine what his parents are going through.

Oh no, Owen’s thread was on the second page. This makes me sad. What needs to be done to bring more attention and action to Owen’s disappearance?

Owen, if you can read this, please come home. You family, friends, and even complete strangers (like me) desperately want you safe and sound.

As I understand it, he was seen near a bus stop but didn’t get on the bus? Could they tell if he was picked up by someone?

"Sgt. Brad Yakots with the Portland Police Bureau says the circumstances surrounding the situation play a big role in how they prioritize an investigation.

Things like items at the scene that indicate anything nefarious, comments made to friends and family, and whether they went missing without a trace.

Nowadays, police rely on social media to quickly get the word out about missing persons cases."

As for the next steps, Yacots said

Tips from the public are key.

“We rely on tips and we use our social media, that’s where the majority of people are found,” said Sgt. Yacots.

Police say even the smallest or what may seem like an insignificant detail can actually be huge for investigators, so they stress, if you know anything -- to give police a call."

His family and friends should, during their searches, be looking for doorbell and security cameras and asking for footage. I doubt he is sitting out on the street somewhere for them to find but I have to think he was caught on more video than LE has found so far. They could leave notes on the doors with contact info when they see one.

Who says they haven't? There may not be anything there.

True, although that in and of itself would be a clue. If he didn't take his phone (I think he did though, was that reported? Can't remember), that would be a huge clue. If he took his phone but had location services turned off and has made zero phone calls, that would be a clue, too. A very sad one.

But he did take money from an ATM, so he must have been planning something. If there's absolutely no phone records, then he was planning something he wished to be secret.

I'll go back and reread first part of thread, surely roommates must know whether he took his phone (and even, maybe, whether he routinely carried a charger for it, as most students do).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sodapop99
Back