Found Deceased OR - Owen Klinger, 18, University of Portland, 6 Oct 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
No one else has brought this up since the 4pm interview with Owen's parents was aired. The interviewer asked about a crime that Owen had witnessed on campus. Did I misunderstand, or didn't the parents confirm that was true? Am I alone in thinking that is significant? If Owen either reported the crime or implicated someone when questioned, couldn't retribution be a possibility here?
Yes I’d definitely like to know about the incident he witnessed. It could be very important!

I agree completely with this post.

My main man William of Occam says the following:
  • OK turned his phone off himself.
  • OK decided to absent himself, i.e., he went voluntarily missing.
His parents still appear to be in deep denial. Understandably.
Their unwillingness to even entertain the possibility of his being voluntarily missing is... unfortunate, to say the least.
They're entrenched in their belief that they know their son, and that he would not leave without telling them.

Facts aren't Feelings.
His mom and dad's feelings are clouding their view of the facts.

With regard to the amount he withdrew, and the fact that he had access to more cash than he took with him that night:

To me, this further bolsters the train-hopping theory.

Train-hopping can be dangerous, for a variety of reasons.
Source: Freighthopping - Wikipedia
Freight-train riding has a reputation of being very dangerous and, to some degree, is in fact so. According to author and journalist Ted Conover, a large percentage of modern-day hobos are ex-convicts and violence is not uncommon among the transient population.

OK may have figured that he'd be safer having less cash on his person rather than a big bundle that would make him a more likely robbery/mugging target on the rails.

The other possibility is IF in fact that were his parents' versus money he earned himself, he may not in good conscience have been able to take it all with him, considering he knew he wasn't going to be using it for its intended purposes, i.e., for college-related expenses.

JMO.

It has not been confirmed that Owen's phone was turned off. His parents have also clarified that the trainhopping channel was one of 50 or so he subscribed to and he had not looked at it recently. The PPB also corrected the direction Owen was seen walking near the Trimet line was west, not north towards the railyards near Columbia Blvd. Typical screw-ups for PPB, IMO as a local. Which IMHO has cost precious time looking in the wrong direction.

"Police originally said Owen turned his cellphone off after leaving the ATM but they corrected that statement on Friday, saying the phone has not been sending or receiving data."

“All we can say and all [the PPB] can say is that the phone is not sending or receiving calls or texts now,” Mary said. “There’s no way to tell if Owen turned it off or if it ran out of battery or if it’s just out of range, or any of that.”

"Mary clarified on Friday, saying police had Owen’s last known location wrong in the beginning. The PPB originally said Owen was last seen walking north on North Willamette Boulevard.

"Police released video taken by a TriMet bus that was in the area of North Willamette Street and North Portsmouth Avenue on the night Owen disappeared. Officers said the video showed Owen was actually walking west on North Willamette Boulevard."

“The video shows Owen in a different place than they were claiming and that they based their big belief and theory on,” Mary said. “The video of the bus shows Owen walking from campus, crossing Portsmouth and heading toward St. Johns."

“Those train-hopping videos were just one of 50 channels Owen had subscribed to on his YouTube feed,” Mary said. “When we looked in his YouTube search history and his recent viewing history, we don’t see that he has even looked at those videos any time in the recent past.”

“I think that [investigators] are realizing that they went a little too far putting out one theory but I’m glad that they’re on this with us,” Mary added.

Owen Klinger’s parents: PPB misspoke on early details

Last edited:
There actually was a meeting, but it does seem that he did not intend to go to it.
After all the back of forth on Lacrosse meeting or not I think LE finally clarified that there was a Lacrosse practice but Owen did not attend it. Owen told his roommates he was going to Lacrosse but they questioned why he did not have his equipment and he told them it was a meeting not a practice.

After all the back of forth on Lacrosse meeting or not I think LE finally clarified that there was a Lacrosse practice but Owen did not attend it. Owen told his roommates he was going to Lacrosse but they questioned why he did not have his equipment and he told them it was a meeting not a practice.

That's my recollection too. Been trying to find the link where I read that yesterday.

I’m starting to wonder if the PPB is putting out wrong information purposely to throw somebody off. Could they have a suspect(s) connected to the incident/crime? It just seems weird about changing where he was last seen walking and releasing that video? They had to have had the video & known where he was all along? And saying they thought he went trainhopping based on pretty much nothing? I really wonder if they did that for a reason.

IMO the "knowns" of this case are not truly "knowns." The picture of Owen leaving Christie Hall is the back of a male. Owen's own father is only 80% sure it is Owen crossing the street. We don't even know if they checked to make sure it was Owen withdrawing the money. The person in the video walks completely out of the range of the video and then does not show up on any video after that. IMO there is enough that does not add up to warrant a search of the University of Portland grounds (and especially Christie Hall) with the aid of both kinds of search dogs.

It has not been confirmed that Owen's phone was turned off. His parents have also clarified that the trainhopping channel was one of 50 or so he subscribed to and he had not looked at it recently. The PPB also corrected the direction Owen was seen walking near the Trimet line was west, not north towards the railyards near Columbia Blvd. Typical screw-ups for PPB, IMO as a local. Which IMHO has cost precious time looking in the wrong direction.

"Police originally said Owen turned his cellphone off after leaving the ATM but they corrected that statement on Friday, saying the phone has not been sending or receiving data."

“All we can say and all [the PPB] can say is that the phone is not sending or receiving calls or texts now,” Mary said. “There’s no way to tell if Owen turned it off or if it ran out of battery or if it’s just out of range, or any of that.”

"Mary clarified on Friday, saying police had Owen’s last known location wrong in the beginning. The PPB originally said Owen was last seen walking north on North Willamette Boulevard.

"Police released video taken by a TriMet bus that was in the area of North Willamette Street and North Portsmouth Avenue on the night Owen disappeared. Officers said the video showed Owen was actually walking west on North Willamette Boulevard."

“The video shows Owen in a different place than they were claiming and that they based their big belief and theory on,” Mary said. “The video of the bus shows Owen walking from campus, crossing Portsmouth and heading toward St. Johns."

“Those train-hopping videos were just one of 50 channels Owen had subscribed to on his YouTube feed,” Mary said. “When we looked in his YouTube search history and his recent viewing history, we don’t see that he has even looked at those videos any time in the recent past.”

“I think that [investigators] are realizing that they went a little too far putting out one theory but I’m glad that they’re on this with us,” Mary added.

Owen Klinger’s parents: PPB misspoke on early details

So is LE saying one thing and the parents saying another right now?
Because this article says that OK's mother "clarified" some of LE's statements.
I didn't see any statements from LE "clarifying" anything they stated earlier.

Unless/until LE and OK's family are on the same page r/t known facts of the case, coming out and attempting to "clarify" what one or the other has reported will only serve to muddy the waters, not clear them up.

JMO.

Unless/until LE and OK's family are on the same page r/t known facts of the case, coming out and attempting to "clarify" what one or the other has reported will only serve to muddy the waters, not clear them up.

JMO.
The police initially stated in their interview that Owen powered his phone down. They clarified yesterday in a statement that his phone simply stopped sending and receiving messages , meaning it may have been broken, or the battery may have died. It’s significant because “it was powered down” indicates that he cut off his line of communication willingly. Whereas the clarified statement of it ceasing to send/receive messages opens up the possibility that maybe it just died, someone else turned it off, or it was broken.

JMO.

I've edited my original post to b0ld the corrective statements made by PPB yesterday, plus the quote from Owen's mother saying they (I assume she means she and her husband) looked at his viewing history of trainhopping videos and Into the Wild and none of it occurred in the recent past.

I’m starting to wonder if the PPB is putting out wrong information purposely to throw somebody off. Could they have a suspect(s) connected to the incident/crime? It just seems weird about changing where he was last seen walking and releasing that video? They had to have had the video & known where he was all along? And saying they thought he went trainhopping based on pretty much nothing? I really wonder if they did that for a reason.

BBM I don't.

RE: Adderall Pills. The dynamic of dealer/buyer does potentially place Owen in a bad scenario. If the buyer is desperate/uninitiated then the dealer is in control. Dealer could playful razz, or be straight up abusive, looking to just plain steal from Owen or his family bank account.
Where did adderall
An important thing to remember is he said he was going to a meeting when there wasn't a meeting. He fibbed for some reason. He could have said he was going out for a walk.
I don’t think this may be the big deal people are making from it. It could be but it could be really simple. He was invited to a party, his roommates weren’t—maybe the lacrosse team was meeting up at a house off campus for a party - maybe he was meeting someone he only knew online — there are many differing reasons he may not have wanted his roomies to know.

I certainly hope that’s the case. Otherwise, this LE appear quite bumbling, as though scripted from a bad comedy.

I am pro-LE but the wrong street/direction, the rather unfounded train hopping theory, gives me the impression they are either inept or lazy. Oh how I hope they are purposely downplaying everything because they know he is safe and sound, like he’s in witness protection or something.

If Owen was meeting LE to discuss what he witnessed, he might not want his roommates to know. If someone involved in the incident discovered that he was working with LE, they might want to quiet him.

Have bodies of water been searched adequately? ( I hate to ask that!)

JMO.

It certainly makes it harder to know where to direct a search.

I also read tonight that there was a search organized for today at NW 8th and NW Glisan. That's downtown, about six miles from the UP campus. Not too far from the Amtrak station though, interestingly enough (maybe four city blocks).

Last edited:
IMO the "knowns" of this case are not truly "knowns." The picture of Owen leaving Christie Hall is the back of a male. Owen's own father is only 80% sure it is Owen crossing the street. We don't even know if they checked to make sure it was Owen withdrawing the money. The person in the video walks completely out of the range of the video and then does not show up on any video after that. IMO there is enough that does not add up to warrant a search of the University of Portland grounds (and especially Christie Hall) with the aid of both kinds of search dogs.

BBM Have they even identified what sort of ATM he withdrew the money from? If it was a bank ATM, they usually have cameras. Third party ATMs like you might find in a bar or dispensary don't usually have cameras, IME.

It certainly makes it harder to know where to direct a search.

I also read tonight that there was a search organized for today at NW 8th and NW Glisan. That's downtown, about six miles from the UP campus. Not too far from the Amtrak station, interestingly enough (maybe four city blocks).

I think he'd have to present ID to use Amtrak, and they should have a record.

What does this mean? Do you think they are really making mistakes or do you think LE are trying to throw the public off course? (Sorry if I’m being dense!)

Sorry for being obtuse. I think they screwed up with the info. I don't think PPB are trying to throw anybody off (other than themselves, inadvertently).

Just so you all know, I come from an LE family. My dad was a sheriff's deputy and my stepdad was a federal marshall and postal inspector.

I've just lived long enough in the Portland area to see PPB try to cover their screwups too many times.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back