Found Deceased OR - Owen Klinger, 18, University of Portland, 6 Oct 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Maybe you aren't aware, it sounded condescending (or is it passive aggressive sarcasm?), especially this part: "And in good spirit, I will add that I think you mean “legal counsel” as opposed to “legal council” but I’m not that astute." Or was that supposed to be funny? Sometimes it's hard to tell in this format.

I’m sorry, just my attempt at humor.

I see both sides of the issue. I’m sorry, I should have been more clear. I don’t think I made the comments @88GalvineRC was referring to. I was just trying to convey why some people are commenting about not hearing from the team.

To be fair, I see the other side too — especially considering he is a freshman and may not have built up a relationship with his teammates; PLUS it was exam week, then they were on break, etc

Also - they're young guys. I don't think we can expect the type of media presence and emotional response that a group of women would exhibit (i.e., Kenzie Leuck's sorority sisters).

No offense intended towards any empathetic highly-mature action oriented young men.

I've lived in north portland, 1 mile from where Owen disappeared, for 15 years. I run down willamette blvd almost every night, alone, passing where he was last seen and going 2 additional miles. I'm an average sized, cautious female and have never felt afraid for my safety. FWIW.

second, in a small defense of lacrosse plays, of whom no one on this forum can attest to knowledge of what they are or are not doing outside of the web - I attended a search on saturday. there were at least two lacrosse plays in my group (1 of 12 groups). One said he was there out of loyalty to his "lacrosse bro". he said Owen was the only player on the team (not the current U of P team) who did not bully him. while that certainly says something wonderful about Owen, depressing as a larger commentary on men and athletics.

I feel so sad and helpless with regards to Owen's disappearance. I really feel like he met with foul play of some sort. I don't find the adderall angle compelling. it doesn't make sense. U of P is a relatively non-competitive school that likely draws students who actually want to learn verses being super concerned with status or grades to the point of buying drugs to improve performance. I went to Gonzaga, which is a comparable jesuit school. also, i thought the poem was wonderful and sweet and was totally surprised when others read it differently.

I would like to know more about the incident at the school . As someone else pointed out, the only open investigation from the campus safety crime report is for 9/22 and involved "harassment" late at night (11pm) at an all women's dorm. I don't think there are any signs that Owen was unstable, but certainly the instigator of this issue might be struggling with a break up, etc.

I also don't find the idea of self-harm to be compelling. If he was going to kill himself, i think there would have been some sign. I also don't think you'd need money.

he looks dressed for a date or meeting up with someone. there's been no discussion of his romantic life, but again, he seemed like he anticipated being back soon. otherwise, why not cancel plans with his roommate? he was in a situation to maximize people being worried right away. not to get super meta, but maybe it was a slightly risky situation and while he didn't want his roommate to know where he was going, he wanted some safety net should things go side ways?

IDK. heartbreaking. i've prayed for the first time in a long time.

I've lived in north portland, 1 mile from where Owen disappeared, for 15 years. I run down willamette blvd almost every night, alone, passing where he was last seen and going 2 additional miles. I'm an average sized, cautious female and have never felt afraid for my safety. FWIW.

second, in a small defense of lacrosse plays, of whom no one on this forum can attest to knowledge of what they are or are not doing outside of the web - I attended a search on saturday. there were at least two lacrosse plays in my group (1 of 12 groups). One said he was there out of loyalty to his "lacrosse bro". he said Owen was the only player on the team (not the current U of P team) who did not bully him. while that certainly says something wonderful about Owen, depressing as a larger commentary on men and athletics.

I feel so sad and helpless with regards to Owen's disappearance. I really feel like he met with foul play of some sort. I don't find the adderall angle compelling. it doesn't make sense. U of P is a relatively non-competitive school that likely draws students who actually want to learn verses being super concerned with status or grades to the point of buying drugs to improve performance. I went to Gonzaga, which is a comparable jesuit school. also, i thought the poem was wonderful and sweet and was totally surprised when others read it differently.

I would like to know more about the incident at the school . As someone else pointed out, the only open investigation from the campus safety crime report is for 9/22 and involved "harassment" late at night (11pm) at an all women's dorm. I don't think there are any signs that Owen was unstable, but certainly the instigator of this issue might be struggling with a break up, etc.

I also don't find the idea of self-harm to be compelling. If he was going to kill himself, i think there would have been some sign. I also don't think you'd need money.

he looks dressed for a date or meeting up with someone. there's been no discussion of his romantic life, but again, he seemed like he anticipated being back soon. otherwise, why not cancel plans with his roommate? he was in a situation to maximize people being worried right away. not to get super meta, but maybe it was a slightly risky situation and while he didn't want his roommate to know where he was going, he wanted some safety net should things go side ways?

Welcome, @andrew oz . This is a very thoughtful post. Thanks for joining us.

welcome_450.jpg

Last edited:

Yes to all of this. I also uttered an Our Father and Hail Mary earnestly for the first time in a long time since news of him going missing. Thank you for the insight about the lacrosse players showing up to the search.

Thank You So Much! This should clear up a great deal of theory. There may be more speculation from members to this new info but don't worry too much about it. St. John's is a pretty cool little town with lots of music culture and diversity. It's pretty safe there too. Most of the homeless help Each other out and are courteous. Again... Thank You and Welcome to Websleuths..

Sad the search seems to be continuing on with no new leads. I was just thinking if he had had a plan to go somewhere for awhile he would have told SOMEONE, even if he told them to keep it a secret. A close friend or sibling. Just so someone knew. I remember me and my sister telling each other, "Don't tell the parents but I'm going to...." I've read where he does have 2 siblings. Sometimes siblings know each other more than their parents do. So if they (or close friends) even have no knowledge about a traveling plan or haven't revealed info by now, I do think the focus should be on foul play.

Last edited:
Sometimes siblings know each other more than their parents do. So if they (or close friends) even have no knowledge about a traveling plan and haven't revealed this info by now, I do think the focus should be on foul play.

This thought keeps coming back to me too. His siblings are relatively close in age to him. Many of his close friends have been friends for a long time (though some went much further away for college so it's possible that they hadn't talked as much since school started) and there are a lot of really good close parental relationships in there. I'm paraphrasing here, but I'm pretty sure his mom mentioned in one of the interviews that she believed if he was going to try something new, or go somewhere new, he'd have brought or told a buddy.

I'm hearing from tons of close friends of this family and they all just keep saying the media is depicting him spot on- he was kind, he was caring, he was just an all around good kid. This is unlike him in every way. That makes me feel like something happened while he was out on whatever errand or mission he was on that night. I do feel based on the evasiveness with the roommate that it must've been a sketchy transaction of some sort where things then went awry somehow.

For those not in the area, that intersection where he was last seen really is on a campus corner. He didn't make it far until his "last known" location. I almost can't believe that the police haven't been able to find more footage than that, unless he went in one of the houses directly over there (they look like mostly rentals for upperclassmen) or was picked up by someone in a car.

New idea: If anyone has access or knowledge of OK’s google info, they can go to takeout.google.com and download a zip file of all of his stored info, including location data way more accurate than any tower pings even if a phone is out of range or on airplane mode. We may not be able to know exactly what happened once his phone went off, but it would give the exact location of the phone when it was powered off. As well as a map of exactly the path he took and how long he stopped anywhere along the way.

New idea: If anyone has access or knowledge of OK’s google info, they can go to takeout.google.com and download a zip file of all of his stored info, including location data way more accurate than any tower pings even if a phone is out of range or on airplane mode. We may not be able to know exactly what happened once his phone went off, but it would give the exact location of the phone when it was powered off. As well as a map of exactly the path he took and how long he stopped anywhere along the way.
I believe the parents have access to his Gmail account because his computer was left logged into in his dorm room

This is a REALLY good idea. They did this on the Tyler Davis case and they can see exactly the path he walked and when the phone powered off—they could even hear him asking maps for directions and could tell he was watching videos.
Hoping the body isn’t Owen. :(

ETA I was replying to scox_. WS being weird.

Sad the search seems to be continuing on with no new leads. I was just thinking if he had had a plan to go somewhere for awhile he would have told SOMEONE, even if he told them to keep it a secret. A close friend or sibling. Just so someone knew. I remember me and my sister telling each other, "Don't tell the parents but I'm going to...." I've read where he does have 2 siblings. Sometimes siblings know each other more than their parents do. So if they (or close friends) even have no knowledge about a traveling plan or haven't revealed info by now, I do think the focus should be on foul play.
Text it or email it to yourself- at least someone will know

I enjoyed your post. Welcome to Websleuths!

They would know by now if this was Owen, right? It says the body was found yesterday afternoon.
Yes, very sad for someone’s family. :(

Was just going to post the same question. I was under the impression the body was found today but when I took the time to read the article it was found yesterday at 1pm. Family would have been called to either ID the body or perhaps as a "it's a possibility heads-up" type of call, wouldn't they?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back