OR OR - Portland, Hisp/Ntv/Isl Fem #UP105256, <40, in homeless encampment, recognizable face, sketch, Buddha tattoo, jewelry, Apr ‘23

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I am pretty sure she was SE Asian. The Buddha tattoo is what does it for me. Sounds very likely, especially if she was a practicing Buddhist.
Plenty of people who are not SE Asian may have a Buddha tattoo. Buddha has often been adopted as a symbol of spirituality in Western cultures, even by people who are not SE Asian. I'm not saying for sure she isn't, because I don't know, but lets not get tunnel vision on demographics. The link posted upthread was in regards to a white canadian with Buddha tattoos.

There's no picture on this profile, but she was a transient who was from the West Coast. If you look up her name, you can find a FB account that I believe is hers. Definitely has a resemblance to the UID but pictures are old. No mention of tattoos.

I don't think she's SE Asian or South Asian or a practicing Buddhist. It's way more common for non-SE Asians/non-South Asians to have the Buddha tattoo. In fact, it's considered disrespectful to have a tattoo depicting Buddha in the native cultures where Buddhism is prominent. I believe it's a bit similar to other religions. Think of Islam, in which tattooed depictions of Allah or quotes from the Quran are considered extremely haram. In Sikhism, tattooing a depiction of the Gurus is extremely blasphemous.

In fact, I have seen many Caucasians and Hispanics have Buddha tattoos even though they're not Buddhist. Personally, I have never seen a SE Asian or a South Asian with a Buddha tattoo. JMO.

"Are Buddha tattoos offensive?"

A Buddha tattoo can be offensive to some people in varying cultures, especially those that keep Buddhism at the core of its religious or value system. The teachings of Buddha, and depictions of him, are considered deeply sacred and holy. They deserve respect especially because they are not meant to be merely decorative or ornamental.

"Is it disrespectful to have a Buddha tattoo?"

Yes. It can be disrespectful. Yoni Zilber, a tattooist who specializes in Tibetan art, explains, “Images of the Buddha and Tibetan mantras are very sacred and should be respected. It is customary to hang pictures of Buddha at the highest place in your house, and treat it with respect. If you put it on your body, especially on a lower part, it can be seen as extremely disrespectful. You sit on the toilet with this part of the body and lay it on the sand at the beach. The Buddha is not supposed to end up in such inappropriate places.”

More interesting information here;

"Or Thailand where tattoos are considered the mark of the gangster or the rankly superstitious (or worse, into majic), both reasons to get you kicked out Army or monkhood if you were Thai. If not, you will just look criminal, superstitious, or foolish if you don't run afoul of the blasphemy laws which are usually reserved for more serious incidents. Pretty much the same in the rest of SE Asia"

"in S.E.Asia, so long as the tattoo is not of Buddha or Bodhisatva is considered OK....except maybe Thailand......Im from Malaysia and laods of protective tattoos is practised here but no one will think of tattoing the image of Buddha as its considered disrespect to Buddha"

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knewborn96
Back