OR OR - Tammy Pitkin, 54, realtor from CA, was in Sutherlin, has 2 dogs, car found on dead-end road in Linn Co, 17 Oct 2022

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I noticed on the Finding Tammy Pitkin page, Trooper, one of Tammy's dogs, has been found after apparently spending 4 months in the woods!
And thankfully he's been re-homed.
Although great news, 4 months seems incredible for a dog to survive in the woods.
Well that's curious isn't it? Will this spur LE to do additional searching in the area the dog was found?

Details for those without FB-
@everyone UPDATE REGARDING TROOPER:
He was found on February 10th between mile post 55-61, and was lured by animal control with food. He appeared healthy at the time of being caught. He was stressed when he got to the shelter but that seems to have subsided. Shelter staff says he gets anxious but they think that is because of the environment. Thankfully, Trooper is in a no kill shelter. So he is safe and being cared for.
1f49c.png

QUESTION for those who would know the area:
What mile marker is the dead-end road at, or which mile marker is the closest? This will help us determine if Trooper was found near were Tammy's car was discovered.

Last edited:
I noticed on the Finding Tammy Pitkin page, Trooper, one of Tammy's dogs, has been found after apparently spending 4 months in the woods!
Although great news, 4 months seems incredible for a dog to survive in the woods.
You would hope the son or husband would have taken Trooper.

Linn County Sheriff Michelle Duncan reports on October 29, at 10:52 a.m., the Linn County Dispatch Center received a report of a suspicious vehicle on a dead-end Forest Service Road off of Highway 20

Mile post 61 is at the intersect of the forest service road and Hwy 20. So the dog was found near where Tammy's car was found. But it had been three months and change, so if the dog was lost in the forest for all that time, I would think it would have been skinny. But it's said the dog was in good shape. Could a dog find food in the area? There were no homes nearby, so rule that out.

Mile post 61 is at the intersect of the forest service road and Hwy 20. So the dog was found near where Tammy's car was found. But it had been three months and change, so if the dog was lost in the forest for all that time, I would think it would have been skinny. But it's said the dog was in good shape. Could a dog find food in the area? There were no homes nearby, so rule that out.
My dog can catch mice and rats (and goes after birds) in the yard and chases squirrels when we walk near an estuary, so I think a dog could catch some small prey and survive if there were also a water source. Seems like it would be awfully cold during those months though, but maybe it found or dug a shelter. I wonder what happened to the other dog. Dogs would stay together, and they would stay with their human if they could.

My dog can catch mice and rats (and goes after birds) in the yard and chases squirrels when we walk near an estuary, so I think a dog could catch some small prey and survive if there were also a water source. Seems like it would be awfully cold during those months though, but maybe it found or dug a shelter. I wonder what happened to the other dog. Dogs would stay together, and they would stay with their human if they could.
Thanks for sharing, I thought of all those things but wanted others opinions. My English Bulldog isn't a forager, except for chicken poop (so gross, I yell at her but she still eats it every chance she gets).

Trying to catch up.
Did Tammy have a significant other or is it possible she left of her own volition ?

Reiterating a post I made upthread- Tammy appears to have been a very devoted lover of animals, especially the ones she brought with her on this trip. I think it is unlikely that she brought them with her if her intent was self harm; because she would most likely be leaving them to die of starvation.

All excellent questions. I'm just now seeing this thread and was wondering the same things.

I do not live in that area but have been on several Forest Service/logging roads in my state. They are generally quite desolate, with limited, if any, cell phone service.

IMO it seems odd that Tammy, a realtor from out of state, would be driving on one of these remote roads, especially if she was not from this area.

Perhaps I missed it, but was there any signs of a struggle near the vehicle, or any blood found? Fingerprints, etc? Was she a known hiker or backpacker?
Or ... someone else drove her car there and walked out ?

Reiterating a post I made upthread- Tammy appears to have been a very devoted lover of animals, especially the ones she brought with her on this trip. I think it is unlikely that she brought them with her if her intent was self harm; because she would most likely be leaving them to die of starvation.
While we don't know whether Tammy disappeared voluntarily, I often think about the amount of personal torment one must be experiencing in order to consider self harm. I don't think one can determine what anyone else might do in that type of situation.

Sorry, I'm late to respond to this development.

The dog was found and is now rehomed?
Wouldn't a loved one of Tammy's want to look after the dog, particularly considering the circumstances? (Of course I understand that people have real life stuff going on and potential logistical conflicts, but still, if it was someone that I loved and this dog was important to her, that would mean a lot to me.)

It seems rather improbable that someone was caring for the dog for 4 months and then let it go again. What would their motivation be?
Indeed !
I really don't know.

Most domesticated pets couldn't survive for that long on their own, even if they were semi-feral.
So odd.
I hope Tammy is o.k. if she left voluntarily.
But wouldn't she have her pets still with her ?
Some people's pets are like their 'fur kids'.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forensicsdropout
Back