Oscar Pistorius - Discussion Thread #67 *Appeal Verdict*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
.......too early yet, see how things develop.....i'm wondering how Pistorius is going to react.....possibly an appeal....

You can take this thing to your grave with you if you want, but I am betting this won't be worthy of a Constitutional appeal.

I hope this turnaround brings some measure of dignity to that poor little girl, the one who was on the trip where he shot thru the roof of the car, and who was discarded for Reeva, and was so hurt, I felt for her, she got such a ripping from Barry Roux I wondered if she would ever recover.. but she knew what she saw, and what Oscar could and did do, and she didn't flinch.. .

That trial had some brave people in it. Oscar wasn't one of them, though.

Finally!

:snowball:

:party:

Hope he doesn't do a runner now though .....

The appeals Judge is right , Pistorius intended to murder whoever was behind the door , whether it was a stranger or girlfriend is beside the point..

I am glad to see this circus come to an end , too many celebrities think laws are only for the peasants .

The appeals Judge is right , Pistorius intended to murder whoever was behind the door , whether it was a stranger or girlfriend is beside the point..

I am glad to see this circus come to an end , too many celebrities think laws are only for the peasants .

....the problem is the appeals judge wasn't there and that Pistorius hasn't yet reacted to the judgement......

....the problem is the appeals judge wasn't there and that Pistorius hasn't yet reacted to the judgement......

I've got 100 crisp Australian dollars that says Oscar is currently undergoing a reaction that includes, if not entirely consists of, hours of persistent snotting , sniffing and vomiting.. we've seen it all before from Oscar... . he can do that stuff for hours.

I wonder how Masipa will approach this?

The, "****** you all, I'm retired now AND I know the truth about this broken, devastated man and I still don't want to punish him twice so I'll give him the lightest sentence possible" or the. "I'm sick to the back teeth of the whole Pistorius business and I'll give him 15 years and hope for some peace and quiet."

She won't change her mind about his state of mind, I'm sure.

Oh......

Ulrich Roux tweeting that Pistorius is no longer under house arrest as that sentence was set aside. The NPA will have to re-arrest him.

Don't know how true this is as I've seen no one else mention it.

But, I suppose, currently he is a convicted murder under no sentence.

Oscar Pistorius found guilty of murder by appeal court
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/athletics/article4631172.ece

A spokesman for the national prosecution authority said that they had not yet decided whether to ask for him to be sent back to prison in the meantime.

The Pistorius family spokeswoman said they would not be commenting on the verdict. “We have taken note of the judgement that has just been handed down by the Supreme Court of Appeal,” Anneliese Burgess said.

“The legal team will study the finding and we will be guided by them in terms of options going forward.”

Very well articulated judgement....let's not forget unanimous!!!! With their hands tied due to factual findings, I think the SCA have done a fine fine job!
It was gracious of leach to say nice things about Masipa, I think they do not want to admit to the world that their judicial system was made a mockery of by her! Also, I think he subtly semi closed the door for the constitutional court for OP, by stating that this trial was a one of a kind, televised, yet conducted well by the presiding judge. It will be harder for the defense to make their case with this forming part of the SCA judge.

I pray for Reeva Steenkamp and her family tonight, and for the countless others, who may have a chance of getting justice after today!

Thank you all for sharing the journey, I am sure it's not over yet, but the knockout punch was delivered today.

Don't forget, it will be very hard to live with no certainty, light at the end of the tunnel for OP, if he drags this out to cc, he drags out his uncertain time and misery of not knowing how it will all end. That in itself is another form of punishment till he is actually given a sentence. All self inflicted! He will forever be known as a murderer!

Have we seen this? I have had a quick scan but there are so many posts I may have missed it.

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/N...ll-now-plead-for-leniency-law-expert-20151203

Du Toit said it was possible that Pistorius would be able to provide a compelling reason.
"He was sentenced to five years [for the culpable homicide]. I think he is capable of maybe bringing it [the murder sentence] down to a 10 year sentence, suspended for five years."

I've got 100 crisp Australian dollars that says Oscar is currently undergoing a reaction that includes, if not entirely consists of, hours of persistent snotting , sniffing and vomiting.. we've seen it all before from Oscar... . he can do that stuff for hours.

Or the non public Oscar? White knuckled anger and incredulity that HE is now a murderer? I bet Uncle Arnie is hiding the booze and the guns tonight...

I wonder how Masipa will approach this?

The, "****** you all, I'm retired now AND I know the truth about this broken, devastated man and I still don't want to punish him twice so I'll give him the lightest sentence possible" or the. "I'm sick to the back teeth of the whole Pistorius business and I'll give him 15 years and hope for some peace and quiet."

She won't change her mind about his state of mind, I'm sure.
....and the extra five on top for having given her a bad reputation .......

I will not quickly forgot those first few days of the trial, when out of the blue, no warning, suddenly Oscar began to throw up , gagging and retching over and over again. . I had never seen a defendant do that before in all my days of court watching... not even a woman, or even a young person , recently adjudged to be adult.. just never before. And once he started, the terrible thing is, I was trying to text the trial audio to those without TV access, and I started to gag and retch as well. Awful. in fact.,I'm doing it all over again. hehhe..

In today's hearing, Justice Leach claimed that Pistorius "never offered an acceptable explanation" as to why he fired his gun through the door. According to the Daily Mail, after the ruling, Barry Steenkamp said: "I am sure that Reeva is up there watching it and now she's saying 'justice was done'. I am sure she'll be able to rest well now." Pistorius will be re-sentenced next year and faces a minimum of 15 years in prison.

Read more at: https://tr.im/c0fG5

Oh......

Ulrich Roux tweeting that Pistorius is no longer under house arrest as that sentence was set aside. The NPA will have to re-arrest him.

Don't know how true this is as I've seen no one else mention it.

But, I suppose, currently he is a convicted murder under no sentence.

....funny that you mention that as on French tely their saying he's going back to prison right now .....which leaves me a bit perplexed.....

Ulrich Roux ‏@ulrichroux
#OscarPistorius no longer under house arrest,as sentence was set aside.State will HAVE to arrest him IMO as sentencing date still to be set

I just thought I'd let you know what Kelly Phelps had to say:

OP has one final avenue of appeal remaining – the Constitutional Court.

She believes it’s "quite likely" that he would take his appeal to that court, and she "wouldn't be surprised" if the question of double jeopardy was something his legal team explored in their appeal.

"The issue of double jeopardy hasn't really been robustly debated in this particular context since the advent of our constitution, and I do think there are grounds for debate on reappraising the current approach".

"I certainly don't think that it is the end of the story. This simply marks the end of one phase and the beginning of another one."

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/12/03/a...ion-overturn-decision-south-africa/index.html

The minimum prison term for murder is 15 years under South African law but experts say Masipa can exercise discretion under certain circumstances. She may take into account OP’s disability and the fact he has also spent a year in jail.

Conversely, she may feel chastised by the reversal of her original conviction and feel the need to stick by the guidelines this time.

There is provision for Pistorius to appeal again at South Africa's Constitutional Court. But to get his case heard, his legal team would have to prove that either; his rights had been infringed in the way the trial was heard, or that re-examining it is in the national interest.

Legal expert Mannie Witz told the BBC in his view neither of these grounds are met by the Pistorius case.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/what-happens-next-oscar-pistorius-6945089

Meanwhile, the Pistorius family has also issued a statement on the matter, saying it "took note of the judgement".

"The legal team will study the finding and we will be guided by them in terms of options going forward. We will not be commenting any further at this stage," a family spokesperson added.

http://news.iafrica.com/sa/1014275.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member