Oscar Pistorius - Discussion Thread #69 *Appeal Verdict*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Coincidence that the blind man also had a partner who was completely mute. What are the odds?

Indeed. Mute, or maybe wary about making a noise with a potentially dangerous intruder nearby, perhaps.

Do you think a sound can ever be an acceptable basis for a genuinely held belief in an imminent attack?

Another person might have hit a panic button but for the purpose of exploring the principle of whether a sound can ever be a sufficient basis upon which to place a genuine belief of an attack commencing, the one in my scenario didn't.

In the scenario where a gun nut goes screaming down the pasageway in a blind rage to deliberately shoot his girlfriend,
I would hope that the prosecution team would be able to prove DD beyond reasonable doubt.
I guess that might have been a whole lot easier had it not been for the thieving siblings who felt entitled to remove evidence from a crime scene at which their brother had just murdered a woman.

There's nothing funny about it any more, its been repeatedly stated here for your benefit that the SCA did not believe him. It's not even a question of whether they would believe it if someone else was in similar circumstances, they found no credibility in any of his evidence.

That is why they had to resort to the rational man test. They had to treat Pistorius almost as if he hadn't testified - because there was not one consistent explanation from him for what caused him to fire.

This is exactly what Dr Roche Steyn referred to in his enca article - that it would :

'be unsound to regard the accused’s testimony as so unreliable that it is tantamount to being absent, but then to select certain statements as ‘valid testimony’ to use in substantiating the rejection of putative private defence.'

https://www.enca.com/opinion/oscar-pistorius-link’-dolus-eventualis-still-missing-part-4

I agree with what you have written in the main, but re the bits in bold -

1. The new part - borrowed by the defence and contained within the appeal - is that the courts have thus far got it wrong on DE - and that there is a second leg to DE - knowledge/foresight of unlawfulness, which must be proven. It comes from the law on criminal intent (since the 1977 case of De Blom) where subjective knowledge of unlawfulness must be proven.

They seem to be saying (but haven't said as much) that the test for PPD which would establish lawful intent (if accepted by the court), does not satisfy the requirement for establishing knowledge of unlawfulness if PPD is rejected. In other words that it must be a stand alone enquiry into the accused's knowledge/awareness of unlawfulness.

The grounds they put up for this are that it is, as I have said, an integral part of accepted SA law on criminal intent, and the crime of DE inherently being an unlawful act.

However there is no legal precedent for this claim, as the courts have never used this approach - the approach has always been that if there is no lawful justification for the killing it is an unlawful killing and the intent was therefore unlawful.

I have pointed out in other posts that it is impossible to prove subjective knowledge of unlawfulness when dealing with murder - without a confession - so what they are proposing is outlandish by any view.

2. The PPD enquiry is a subjective one - it isn't the reasonable man but the rational one, where he has not given evidence for example.

RBBM

I’m not sure that I understand you, Tortoise.

The test for PPD helps the Court to assess reasonableness, not rationality. For example, having regard to objective factors such as proportionality, immediacy of threat and so forth, the Court first assesses whether or not the killer's response would have been reasonable, had the circumstances been as he perceived them to be. In cases of PPD, it’s not about lawfulness, but blame.

If the accused fails to satisfy the test for PPD, it doesn't necessarily mean that the verdict will be murder. We know this very well from caselaw.

Since intention is assessed subjectively, the Court will then proceed to examine further evidence as to the perpetrator's state of mind to decide if the verdict should be CH or DE. The question to be asked is whether or not the accused knew that he was exceeding the bounds of private defence.

According to Prof.Burchell, the legal position is that, if, (having considered all the available evidence), the court concludes that the perpetrator genuinely believed that he was acting in lawful self-defence, the verdict should be culpable homicide, not murder, as his erroneous belief will exclude dolus.

At the end of the day, as I have stated previously, the issue of subjective knowledge of unlawfulness will always come down to credibility. Clearly, the SCA didn’t believe that Pistorius genuinely believed that he was acting in lawful private defence.

In short, the imminence/proportionality/other options test for PPD has never been the be-all and end-all when it comes to murder – not unless you examine subjective intent as an integral part of that test.

There's nothing funny about it any more, its been repeatedly stated here for your benefit that the SCA did not believe him. It's not even a question of whether they would believe it if someone else was in similar circumstances, they found no credibility in any of his evidence.

That is why they had to resort to the rational man test. They had to treat Pistorius almost as if he hadn't testified - because there was not one consistent explanation from him for what caused him to fire.

That’s because the only rational explanation is he fired in a blind rage at someone who provoked his well documented temper.

That’s the truth but not something Oscar ‘I don’t Accept Responsibility for Anything’ Pistorius was going to say was he

This is exactly what Dr Roche Steyn referred to in his enca article - that it would :

'be unsound to regard the accused’s testimony as so unreliable that it is tantamount to being absent, but then to select certain statements as ‘valid testimony’ to use in substantiating the rejection of putative private defence.'

https://www.enca.com/opinion/oscar-pistorius-link’-dolus-eventualis-still-missing-part-4

I would imagine the 5 judges of the SCA are experienced enough to make up their own mind without taking lessons from a wordy academic who is not even a practicing lawyer.

I would imagine the 5 judges of the SCA are experienced enough to make up their own mind without taking lessons from a wordy academic who is not even a practicing lawyer.

I might be wrong, but I think prof James Grant was just a ' wordy academic ' when he assisted Nel with the appeal.

You mean like the wordy academic who wasn't a lawyer that supported the prosecution.

That’s because the only rational explanation is he fired in a blind rage at someone who provoked his well documented temper.

That’s the truth but not something Oscar ‘I don’t Accept Responsibility for Anything’ Pistorius was going to say was he

Must have missed that in court. I don't think they allow tittle tattle from the rags and spurned ex-girlfriends, jealous sports rivals, business partners of the family who got into financial trouble and who the Pistorius's wouldn't bail out, alcoholic hacks who got cut out of Olympics stories etc etc etc.....

Must have missed that in court. I don't think they allow tittle tattle from the rags and spurned ex-girlfriends, jealous sports rivals, business partners of the family who got into financial trouble and who the Pistorius's wouldn't bail out, alcoholic hacks who got cut out of Olympics stories etc etc etc.....
Ah, so you're of the opinion that everyone who had anything negative to say about him in court must have also been a liar. In fact, everyone's a liar except the lying murderer himself? LOL! You couldn't make this up.

A bit more on requirements for reasonable grounds for subjective belief of lawful intent in PPD:

http://www.saflii.org/za/cases/ZANWHC/2005/105.html

[36] With regard to putative self-defence, Snyman in Criminal Law, Fourth Edition on page 101 states the following:-

“No ground of justification can exist in the absence of objective factors, and for this reason X’s conduct remains unlawful if she subjectively thinks that there is a ground for justification whereas in fact there is none. A so-called “putative ground of justification” is therefore in fact no ground of justification.”

[37] Jonathan Burchell in Principles of Criminal Law, Third Edition on page 243 states as follows:-

“A distinction must be drawn between private defence as a defence excluding unlawfulness, which is judged objectively, and ‘putative’ or ‘supposed’ private defence which relates to the mental state of the accused.

Where the accused raises the defence of private defence, the judicial inquiry commences with an examination of the unlawfulness or the lawfulness of the accused’s conduct. If the conduct is lawful, then an acquittal results. If the conduct is unlawful then the inquiry might not end there. Provided a foundation is laid for ‘putative’ private defence, then the court proceeds to examine whether the accused genuinely, albeit mistakenly, believed that he or she was acting in lawful private defence (where the charge requires intention to be proved) or whether this belief was also held on reasonable grounds (where negligence is sufficient for liability).”

http://www.csvr.org.za/wits/papers/papluds2.htm
The court must consider reasonableness based on what the accused knows and sees.55 For self-defence the court must establish that the accused believed she was acting lawfully, a subjective element, and that the circumstances justify that belief, an objective element. In determining the reasonableness of the accused's behaviour:56

Honest Belief
The most important requirement of putative private defence is that the accused honestly believed s/he was acting in private defence. An accused who is aware that s/he is acting unlawfully, or foresees that s/he could be acting unlawfully, including by being aware or foreseeing that s/he may be exceeding the bounds of private defence, cannot meet the elements of this defence and can be convicted of murder.109

The test for determining whether an accused held an honest belief s/he was acting in private defence is subjective.110 According to the criminal law experts, however, in testing the credibility of the accused, and therefore his/her honest belief, the court will consider whether a reasonable person would have held that belief. The more unreasonable the accused's claimed honest belief, the less likely the court will consider him/her to be credible.

Ah, so you're of the opinion that everyone who had anything negative to say about him in court must have also been a liar. In fact, everyone's a liar except the lying murderer himself? LOL! You couldn't make this up.

Err no. I was pointing out that a "well documented temper" was no such thing. It never featured in court.

Remember it's real evidence I'm talking about not tabloid evidence and the bias that followed the river of bile that poured OP's way before the trial even began.

Also remember Masipa found only that he was untruthful about his intent to shoot which ironically supports a PPD.

Just because a few loud mouths keep shouting liar still doesn't make it so.

Err no. I was pointing out that a "well documented temper" was no such thing. It never featured in court.

Remember it's real evidence I'm talking about not tabloid evidence and the bias that followed the river of bile that poured OP's way before the trial even began.

Also remember Masipa found only that he was untruthful about his intent to shoot which ironically supports a PPD.

Just because a few loud mouths keep shouting liar still doesn't make it so.

How so? Oscar repeatedly denied responsibility for intending to shoot (except when Nel confronted him with his own words in his original bail affidavit).

How could this support a PPD defense claim where one would logically have shot with deliberate intent while acting in self-defense? Instead Masipa had to reject his own testimony and provide him with the necssary intent to shoot.

I guess that might have been a whole lot easier had it not been for the thieving siblings who felt entitled to remove evidence from a crime scene at which their brother had just murdered a woman.

hearsay, the PT didn't feel compelled to prosecute the siblings and I'm sure they would not have hesitated if they could.

Questions, questions and yet more questions that can only be met with no more than guesswork. With respect it does seem you are just casting around on the periphery searching for any reason to purely prolong a discussion unnecessarily.

It is noticeable that some posters have spent a lot of time and patience answering your questions and the response has been the same each time, yet more ‘questions’ that become more and more unrelated.

Is it not about time to stop and accept Pistorius has been judged a murderer and that is not going to change no matter how much you may like it to be so.

BIB, with due respect, you sound a bit bitter towards Aftermath. You can't say with any certainty that this verdict won't change again. You may have an opinion that it won't but again you can't say with certainty that it will not.

I have a feeling the CC will hear this case due to Oscar's disability and this could be reduced to a CH charge with time served. That was the right verdict.

Well Dr Stipp as an impartial witness has nothing whatsoever to gain from saying the light was on when it wasn’t.

As opposed to Pistorius who has everything to gain from lying and saying the light was off otherwise his version of events goes down the plughole along with his lifestyle and liberty.

So no contest really. The light was on.

BIB, it's not that black and white. Perhaps Stipp had nothing to gain but whose to say his recollection is 100% correct.

I might be wrong, but I think prof James Grant was just a ' wordy academic ' when he assisted Nel with the appeal.

Oh dear aftermath, you are wrong. You should check before rushing to find any reason to excuse a murderer. Besides his academic career James Grant is an Advocate of the High Court of South Africa

Did you not notice the lawyers’ apparel he was wearing when he appeared in court? What do you think he got that at a fancy dress shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slowcrow