Oscar Pistorius - Sentencing - 6.13.2016

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO Doing the TV interview simply compounds the mistake beautifully, it is of no mitigation for Arnold to say that it was his choice but I'm sure Roux will jump up to explain that shortly!

This is why Ulrich Roux says its a big mistake for OP NOT to get on that stand.
Nel exploits this wonderfully.

Yes exactly.

Roux knows this but I presume Oscar chickened out

Or possibly there were just too many questions that he would not be able to answer

City Press Online Verified account ‏@City_Press 15h15 hours ago

Nel: Evidence has been untruthful & contradicoty. One does not know his true explanation for firing the weapon #OscarPistorius

Aimee appears to be absent today. Has anyone seen her?

Jacaranda News ‏@JacaNews 15h15 hours ago

#OscarPistorius Nel says while OP was in prison he was allowed visits by private doctor and psychiatrist.

Karyn Maughan Verified account ‏@karynmaughan 15h15 hours ago

Nel argues #OscarPistorius allowed visits from doctors, psychologists while in prison

Oscar on his stumps in the court room ought to and I hope will be one of Roux and Oscar's big colossal mistakes of the trial.

Nel turns to the issue of remorse. Pistorius has not “taken the court fully into … his confidence” and so genuine remorse can’t be established, he says. We still don’t know the real reason why he fired those shots.

What motivated him? We don’t know.

Nel says Pistorius’ acceptance of the verdict against him is because “he had to – there was no other way out”. He says Pistorius has shown regret but not remorse.

I caused her death is not the same as I murdered her.

Without that, there can be no remorse.

The prospects of rehabilitation are remote for as long as Pistorius fails to acknowledge the crime of which he has been convicted.

What the court has heard is that the accused elected to give an interview to the TV but not take this court into his confidence. That’s disrespectful to the court, it’s disrespectful to the victims of this crime, it’s disrespectful to the deceased.

Liking the BIB, Nice one Nel, massive moral high ground, very tough for Masipa if she was considering any lenience, pushing masipa's buttons all this IMO

This distinction between single experts and how their duties differ from the Court is very compelling. It really unstitches a lot of what Prof Scholtz tried to enter into evidence under the guise of being impartial and merely for the Court.

Seeing that dark haired woman on OP's side of the courtroom glaring at Nel gives me great satisfaction.

Barry Bateman Verified account ‏@barrybateman 15h15 hours ago

#OscarPistorius Nel: in instances of serious crime, the personal circumstances of the offender recedes into the background. BB

EWN Reporter ‏@ewnreporter 15h15 hours ago

#OscarPistorius Nel: in instances of serious crime, the personal circumstances of the offender recedes into the background. BB

#OscarPistorius Nel arguing in crimes of this nature the personal circumstances of the guilty party recedes into the background.

Erin Bates Verified account ‏@ermbates 15h15 hours ago

Nel submits the personal circumstances of accused recede in the instance of a "very serious crime" and this is one @News24 #OscarPistorius

Karyn Maughan Verified account ‏@karynmaughan 15h15 hours ago

Nel: it doesn't matter that #OscarPistorius thought he was shooting at intruder...SCA found his use of gun was gratuitous

13m ago
13:37
Nel turns to the issue of remorse. Pistorius has not “taken the court fully into … his confidence” and so genuine remorse can’t be established, he says. We still don’t know the real reason why he fired those shots.

What motivated him? We don’t know.

Nel says Pistorius’ acceptance of the verdict against him is because “he had to – there was no other way out”. He says Pistorius has shown regret but not remorse.

I caused her death is not the same as I murdered her.

Without that, there can be no remorse.

The prospects of rehabilitation are remote for as long as Pistorius fails to acknowledge the crime of which he has been convicted.

What the court has heard is that the accused elected to give an interview to the TV but not take this court into his confidence. That’s disrespectful to the court, it’s disrespectful to the victims of this crime, it’s disrespectful to the deceased.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...ius-sentencing-live-day-three-reeva-steenkamp

EWN Reporter ‏@ewnreporter 15h15 hours ago

#OscarPistorius Nel: the deceased lost her most important asset - her life. She can’t walk in court. BB

Re the stumps issue, I agree that it was pretty out there but in some ways, though manipulative, it was clever IMO. I think part of why so many of us were disgusted by it is we believe that OP murdered her knowingly and that Roux must also know this and as such it is horribly cynical by Roux and probably nothing less than we would expect from OP.

However, I do have a 'however'! If for arguments sake Pistorius was telling the truth about that night then it would be valid I reckon. There is no denying that he is disabled and were he to be confronted by an armed intruder while on his stumps then he would be very vulnerable. But because we have seen video of him moving much more freely than he did in the courtroom and because we are convinced he has lied and lied and lied some more it is repugnant to us that they would pull such a stunt. I guess I am just doing a bit of lunch break devil's advocating to think of circumstances where it would not be a cheap stunt but since the only one would be if OP was telling the truth and he is not, then yes, it was all pretty off. At least it opened up an opportunity for Nel to fight fire with fire.

I think it's harmed OP's reputation even more irreparably with the court of public opinion. He's being called out all over the internet for using his disability to manipulate - that's a very long way from where we were in the trial when *most* people still had quite a bit of sympathy regarding his physical 'limitations'.

The Citizen News ‏@TheCitizen_News 15h15 hours ago

#OscarPistorius: Nel: I cannot think of a more excessive use of a firearm. #ID

#OscarPistorius Nel arguing the use of the firearm was excessive and unnecessary.

Someone should rent out the space on Roux's bottom lip. He looks like he's about to burst into tears.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LostKitty311