Oscar Pistorius - Sentencing - 7.6.2016

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
paroled for good behaviour after serving 1/3 of his sentence says Debra Patta, that's after 2 years in prison only

This doesn't match with research we did previously but happy to be proved wrong if someone can post the Statutory proof!

that nonsense, because she was smiling earlier
If she's crying it's relief her brother got away with it and pulled it off ,
what could have been 20 years in prison for Dolus Directus Murder, he ended up with max 2 years in prison for Murder DE , and the Judge bought the story because frighteningly she can't spot a liar ! gobsmacked

BBM - I'm hoping it's because she knows that there's a good possibility that Nel will appeal and the SCA will be able to set the proper sentence, 15-1.

Completely agree. She made him out to be a liar who listened to gossip.

just as Roux used the financial compensation as further exploitation of the Stkp family.

She rubber stamps this exploitation.
So sad to Barry's face now - stoic but numb.

Clearly, she wanted to demonstrate to the public that she's 'fearless'. Not a good mindset in a judge - her role is to ensure that justice is seen to be done...

I reckon seeing her career is toast she decided to send a big middle finger to the public, media and SCA

Clearly, she wanted to demonstrate to the public that she's 'fearless'. Not a good mindset in a judge - her role is to ensure that justice is seen to be done...
I get that impression too.

It was also weird how she mentioned early on how he now hated guns, sold all his and never wanted to own one again.

Pretty sure that in Australia if you are convicted of murder, and with a firearm to boot, you wouldn't have a choice about owning guns anymore.

Masipa: I have learnt nothing.

Roux: YOLO! Just Do It! Kaching!

Nel: wtf...

Public: *headdesk*

Right, but according to her, 'a longer sentence does not mean JUSTICE.' Where does she get that idea? I think every family of a murder victim would disagree with that sentiment of hers...

Maybe Nel and his team have just left for a coffee and discussion about appealing and they'll head back to court.

At least I hope that's what happens :(

Mandy Wiener ‏@MandyWiener
The SCA has corrected Judge Masipa once before. Fully expect the NPA to appeal this and for the SCA to correct her a second time.

I really hope so.

For policy reasons, the SCA should review this decision, even if only to confirm its validity

Otherwise this oddity will be on the books setting an alarming but uncertain precendent

That is why this should be appealed for policy reasons

6 years for Murder, with a lethal firearm is outrageously low.

The bottom line is a violent man murdered his girlfriend in a domestic setting for reasons unknown.

Once more the legal system fails victims of domestic violence.

You're right every murder defence in SA will be citing this ruling to get a free pass. It cannot be allowed to stand.

Right, but according to her, 'a longer sentence does not mean JUSTICE.' Where does she get that idea? I think every family of a murder victim would disagree with that sentiment of hers...

The RSA legislature clearly disagreed with her when they set a statutory minimum of 15 years

I am sure they did not anticipate a 60% discount

Laurie A Claase ‏@LaurieAClaase
#OscarPistorius Word from court is there may be another appeal from the State. Will OP also sit this one out @ home?

People around the world were holding their breath today, hoping that we would finally get justice for Reeva and her family. It was not to be.

Let us remember Reeva as she was in life, not as a model, not as a covergirl but as a cherished and much loved daughter and sister who cared deeply for her parents, family and friends. Her ambition in life was open a law firm to help abused women. “She wanted to save everyone, wanted to protect everyone”. Everyone who met her, loved her.

Her name is Reeva Steenkamp.

http://cdn.images.express.co.uk/img/dynamic/78/590x/secondary/135578.jpg

Attachments

• Reeva1.jpg
    Reeva1.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 17
I reckon seeing her career is toast she decided to send a big middle finger to the public, media and SCA

Totally agree. She has "flipped the bird" although I hate that expression. There was always a risk of this but it did NOT seem credible.
She has EGO, she isn't just an "empath" Paul C.

IMO in her last sentence,there was shades of STFU in that

Was she using her judicial powers to be 'defiant'? Hopefully the SCA will take a look at her sentencing again - in the interests of justice for the more serious conviction of murder.

I am listening to youtube on this link [video=youtube;toJ2tcF6YGQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toJ2tcF6YGQ[/video] and it is still live as if they are going to come back to appeal.

Can the SCA actually give the sentence if it is appealed?

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Laurie A Claase ‏@LaurieAClaase
#OscarPistorius Word from court is there may be another appeal from the State. Will OP also sit this one out @ home?

Some lawyers say it's possible.

I totally agree. At the very beginning of her statement, I sensed anger coming out of her. Seething anger, in my opinion. She did not seem like a calm, objective judge, like she appeared to be when the trial began, in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maxwell'sSilverHammer