Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
And what about the nearby states Delaware and Maryland? I am curious, because I
I lived in these states when I was in the USA.
They might be similar due to how close to Quantico and DC they are, but I'm not sure. I do know that exclusions for Virginia cases on NamUs can range into the hundreds and thousands, but that's not typically the case for those states, so they may be more willing to work with other companies.

They might be similar due to how close to Quantico and DC they are, but I'm not sure. I do know that exclusions for Virginia cases on NamUs can range into the hundreds and thousands, but that's not typically the case for those states, so they may be more willing to work with other companies.
Parabon identified Roger Kelso in Anne Arundel County, Maryland but the state is generally tight with genetic privacy laws and contemplated banning genetic genealogy. They banned familial searches in 2008. They're also banned in D.C. unless things have changed. New York State used to have much more restrictive laws for this too. Maryland has 326 cases on NamUs, so it might be a good idea to find agencies interested in this before there's a political will that would render these cases unsolvable forever.

Should Cops Use Family Tree Forensics? Maryland Isn’t So Sure

Last edited:
Parabon identified Roger Kelso in Anne Arundel County, Maryland but the state is generally tight with genetic privacy laws and contemplated banning genetic genealogy. They banned familial searches in 2008. They're also banned in D.C. unless things have changed. New York State used to have much more restrictive laws for this too. Maryland has 326 cases on NamUs, so it might be a good idea to find agencies interested in this before there's a political will that would render these cases unsolvable forever.

Should Cops Use Family Tree Forensics? Maryland Isn’t So Sure
I swear I don’t know why this needs to be so controversial. Most companies give the tester the choice to “opt in” for law enforcement. It’s their right & choice. If you’re a murderer & Aunt Sally opted in, well... too bad so sad. I see it as no different than using a collection of pings on a tower & process of elimination to see which ping corresponded to a body dump.

What concerns me is if states pass laws prohibiting use of this technology, what happens to those serving time based on this investigative method? Will convictions be overturned?

Frankly I raise my eyebrows at any lawmaker who blocks this use of voluntary data. Are they afraid a distant cousin’s profile will lead LE to their own doors one day? Jmo...

I swear I don’t know why this needs to be so controversial. Most companies give the tester the choice to “opt in” for law enforcement. It’s their right & choice. If you’re a murderer & Aunt Sally opted in, well... too bad so sad. I see it as no different than using a collection of pings on a tower & process of elimination to see which ping corresponded to a body dump.

What concerns me is if states pass laws prohibiting use of this technology, what happens to those serving time based on this investigative method? Will convictions be overturned?

Frankly I raise my eyebrows at any lawmaker who blocks this use of voluntary data. Are they afraid a distant cousin’s profile will lead LE to their own doors one day? Jmo...

To play devil's advocate, a reason that people do not want to allow familial genealogy to occur for John Doe/ Jane Doe cases is because it can be a "gateway" for allowing the technology to be used to find people in controversial crimes. For example, a drug bust where people got away but somebody's tissue could be used to incriminate them (unknowing if they actually were involved or if they just happened to be visiting earlier in the day). This is an extreme case, and while I see the many benefits of genetic genealogy for murder/rape crime solving and finding unidentified people's family members, I can see the danger in the technology expanding past those use cases. Artificial intelligence and the current technology infrastructure of the USA makes mass tracking of people easier than ever before, and adding DNA to the tracking mixture is another controversy coming down the line. I wish that states would create laws clearly stating the boundaries in which genetic genealogy can be used in crimes, so that the mucky waters of today could be cleared.

To play devil's advocate, a reason that people do not want to allow familial genealogy to occur for John Doe/ Jane Doe cases is because it can be a "gateway" for allowing the technology to be used to find people in controversial crimes. For example, a drug bust where people got away but somebody's tissue could be used to incriminate them (unknowing if they actually were involved or if they just happened to be visiting earlier in the day). This is an extreme case, and while I see the many benefits of genetic genealogy for murder/rape crime solving and finding unidentified people's family members, I can see the danger in the technology expanding past those use cases. Artificial intelligence and the current technology infrastructure of the USA makes mass tracking of people easier than ever before, and adding DNA to the tracking mixture is another controversy coming down the line. I wish that states would create laws clearly stating the boundaries in which genetic genealogy can be used in crimes, so that the mucky waters of today could be cleared.
I think that could be circumvented though with rules similar the recent rules that GEDMatch put into place, where LE agencies can use their data to identify unidentified decedents, but not criminals in investigations.

Oh boy do I have a mystery for you!
Freeborn County Minnesota Genealogy and History
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
Is Freeborn County courthouse haunted? - Austin Daily Herald
This one's only recently been added to NamUs. A man killed himself in a clock tower in Minnesota in 1938.
The place is supposedly haunted so it's high time to appease the man's ghost. The sheriff's office was really eager to identify him back in the day, but they misidentified him twice. The man took steps to conceal his identity by removing tags from his clothes and eyeglasses case. There's a genealogy society that profiled his case too.

This one's only recently been added to NamUs. A man killed himself in a clock tower in Minnesota in 1938.
The place is supposedly haunted so it's high time to appease the man's ghost. The sheriff's office was really eager to identify him back in the day, but they misidentified him twice. The man took steps to conceal his identity by removing tags from his clothes and eyeglasses case. There's a genealogy society that profiled his case too.
Very interesting! o_O

I hear ya, but people have been wrongfully convicted using far less sophisticated technology since... forever. I’d rather see LE investigate DNA that ultimately has nothing to do with a crime, than ignore technology that can put a murderer behind bars at age 75 after he’s walked free for the last 35 years. For the first time ever, LE has a method with teeth to find the more than 200,000 unsolved homicides in this nation. I say USE IT and put all 200K in the slammer. Imo

It's always the clock tower. We need either genetic genealogy or 1.21 gigawatts

Is it a new case? I can not find it on the dnasolves website.
DNA Will Be Tested in Grisly Cleveland Cold Case From 1969

DNA Will Be Tested in Grisly Cleveland Cold Case From 1969
Posted on Mon, Mar 15, 2021 at 10:16 am
up_15453.jpg

• John Doe composite sketch
On the morning of August 29, 1969, Frank Forney dropped off his 15-year-old stepson, Danny Little, at a property he owned on E. 82nd St. to clean up the lot and burn the trash. This was near the tracks, not far from an old factory and there was junk everywhere. The boy spotted a barrel abandoned in the field next door and figured he could burn the trash inside it. So Little rolled it over and as he went, he noticed a foul smell. When he unsealed the top, the boy discovered a body inside.

The victim was a young, Black man who had been shot nine times. His legs had been sawed off before he was placed into the 55-gallon-drum and covered in some kind of caustic fluid. Then-Cuyahoga County Coroner Dr. Charles Hirsch also found the victim had suffered significant blunt force trauma to his head.

Cleveland police attempted to identify the man, to no avail, even though they had some good clues. He was found wearing a Waltham wristwatch and a gray metal ring with a blue stone on his 4th finger. He also sported a tattoo – the name, Sally — on the inside of his left forearm. Based on the narrow shape of the man’s skull, it is believed he may have had Crouzon Syndrome, which would have made his eyes appear to be bulging, giving him a very distinct look.

Detectives wondered if his murder was connected to the Black Panther Party.

It’s not a big leap to believe that the Doe in the barrel might have been connected to the Panthers in some way. In the 1960s, the east side of Cleveland was a powder keg of racial tension. There were the Hough riots, in 1966. And then, just a year before the unknown man’s murder, there was a four-hour long shootout in Glenville, between police and a group called the Black Nationalists of New Libya, which led to the deaths of three policemen and three suspects. After decades of Jim Crow laws, black nationalism was on the rise. Some organizations in Cleveland were peaceful. Others, not so much.

The FBI had confidential informants inside the Cleveland chapter of the Black Panther party who fed them a steady stream of information about members as well as the logistics behind a distribution network that circulated propaganda newspapers from of their headquarters in Queens. Was the dead guy a member of the Panthers or the Nationalists of New Libya or some more extreme group? His murder – shot nine times, beaten, sawed in half – certainly has all the hallmarks of an organized hit.

But to this day, nobody knows this man’s name. Nobody has found Sally, who he memorialized on his arm. Fifty-two years have gone by.

This man’s death is an untold part of Cleveland’s history and new science may be our best shot at uncovering it. The Porchlight Project, a local nonprofit dedicated to solving Ohio cold cases, has agreed to completely fund the DNA tests and genetic genealogy that could lead to finally identifying this victim.

The Porchlight Project recently assisted the Cuyahoga Falls Police Department by providing the funds to test DNA in the 1987 unsolved murder of Barbara Blatnik, which led to the arrest of James Zastawnik for Blatnik’s murder last May.

“At the Cuyahoga County Medical Examiner’s Office, we never give up hope that we may provide closure to families and bring criminals to justice even years after a death has occurred,” says Cuyahoga County Medical Examiner, Dr. Thomas Gilson. “We are very eager to partner with The Porchlight Project on this case and hope that our effort will be successful. It would also be uniquely satisfying to me to see this case through to completion as the late Dr. Hirsch, the original coroner, was my teacher in forensic pathology.”

Last week, the Medical Examiner’s office shipped a piece of the victim’s bone to Othram, Inc., a one-stop-shop for DNA testing and genetic genealogy in Texas. Othram’s scientists are experts at recovery, enrichment, and analysis of human DNA, even when the sample is small or degraded.

“Othram’s DNA profiles have been used to identify victims from some of the oldest forensic evidence and we look forward to helping advance this case,” says David Mittelman, Othram CEO.

Should the fifty-year-old bone prove to be viable, the lab at Othram will then identify the specific markers in the man’s DNA profile that are used to match with relatives who have uploaded their profiles into public databases like GEDMatch and FamilyTree. With a little luck, a match in a database will lead genealogists to the family of the deceased and, from there, to his identity.

Othram....any luck with the Bear, Delaware doe found 3/18/1967?
Being a Delaware native, this case is close to my heart. She is buried in a potters field 10 min away from me.

Othram....any luck with the Bear, Delaware doe found 3/18/1967?
Being a Delaware native, this case is close to my heart. She is buried in a potters field 10 min away from me.
Can you share the WS thread or NamUs ID?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crunchy Riff