Othram - General Discussion

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, the only company I've seen work with Virginia before is Parabon, their latest ID in Virginia being back last summer. But when I tried to call to suggest this company or the DDP, the secretary, understandably, wouldn't put me through to Quantico's ME, but I could've been reaching out to the wrong person entirely, so who knows.

There are multiple companies that work in Virginia :)

Othram is referenced in this article.
April 26 2021
Montgomery County continues cold case efforts including 9 unsolved cases in the Magnolia area
''There are at least 60 other cold cases involving missing persons or murder in Montgomery County, according to records from the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office. David Mittelman, CEO of Othram, a forensic lab in The Woodlands, said cases grow cold when there is no further evidence or leads. Police departments often have limited budgets for cold cases, and they usually rely on federal or state grants to fund the resources to investigate them.''

“You send your DNA to [the state] crime lab—best-case scenario you’re looking at a matter of three, four months ... to get any kind of answer back,” Texas Ranger Robert Bess said.

Despite the roadblocks, cold cases in Montgomery County have made headway. In February, Montgomery County Forensic Services, in partnership with Othram, used DNA technology to solve a 2016 cold case regarding an unidentified man in The Woodlands. And on Feb. 2, the sheriff’s office launched a new regional public information initiative, known as Cold Case Warm Up.''

''Traditionally, Mittelman said forensic evidence is uploaded into the Combined DNA Index System, a national database. CODIS collects 20 markers from DNA to construct a profile, and it can be used to match persons if their DNA or a close relative’s DNA is in the system.

But Othram’s technology takes thousands of markers from DNA to reconstruct a genealogical profile that can be used to identify even distant relatives.''

Ws link below is one of the cases reference in the same article..
TX - TX - Danielle Sleeper, 32, Magnolia, 22 March 2015

The first four victims of Patrick Kearney are unidentified and it's not clear whether a few of them were even located. As for the others, not sure who holds their remains. One was killed in Mexico but these remains were recovered after Kearney unveiled the location. They're obscure victims from over half a century ago. Could you inquire about these victims with agencies that might have some knowledge? My fear is that they'll be unidentified forever due to sheer neglect to put out more information about them.

A lot of the crimes that stand to benefit from forensic genealogy are sexual assaults. For those that are interested, here is an audio interview with Ilse Knecht, who leads the Joyful Heart Foundation’s initiatives to drive policy and advocacy to support victims of sexual assault. She also touches on unsolved cases and how forensic genealogy will help solve more crimes.

Fireside Chat: Ilse Knect

Not sure if there is a thread for this case, but we are really happy to announce a positive outcome for the decades-long search for Mary Catherine Edwards's rapist and killer: After 26 years, Mary Catherine Edwards' Killer is Arrested
That is amazing!

Here's an article about his arrest. She was a bridesmaid at his wedding - ugh! It was a horrible thing to do anyway but that just takes it to another level.

DNA evidence leads to arrest in 1995 murder of Beaumont teacher | 12newsnow.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member