Oxford Researchers List Top 10 Most Annoying Phrases

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Do I have to teach you kids everything? :crazy::crazy::crazy:

whatnot

Main Entry: pronoun Etymology: what not? Date: 1540
:any of various other things that might also be mentioned <paper clips, pins, and whatnot>

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/whatnot

Oh, I know what it means. It just sounds bizarre coming out of the mouth of a 12yo boy.

As in, "My new paintball equipment is awesome! It came with a CO2 cannister, eye protection, a cool paintball gun, some ammo, and whatnot!"

He does it just to get a reaction out of me. And his brother.

I'm "sick" of hearing my teens tell me how "sick" everything is. That's sick, this is sick, look at how sick it is. There's an epidemic! One more that I'm hearing a lot of lately is, "man". Man this, man that, ya know man, and man, that bites. Ok, last one, "dude". Start a sentence with dude, throw in a sick or bites and end with a man. "Dude, that guitar is sick, man." or "Man, that bites dude."

I feel so much better for getting this out of my system :)
I find the whole "sick" thing quite confusing. When I was a kid, we said "sick", meaning something was bad. These days, my sons says "sick" meaning something is good. We have these conversations where, one of us says "sick", and then we have to clarify - do you mean "sick" as in "good" or "sick" as in "bad"? :waitasec:

I so want a job in research. Wouldn't it be great to be paid to surf around the web, look at magazines, watch movies and tv for overused and annoying phrases? I'd love it.

"I'll help who's next" in a customer line - why not "Next?" or "You're next!" or "Your turn!"

"like" as in "I'm like, so tired." or "He's like, why don't you come over tonight, and I'm like, ok."

"Gay" - everything is gaygaygay...Ach!

"We seen" - "I seen" as in "I seen him yesterday at the store." OMG!

"boughten" - "I've boughten that brand before." Oh Please! Wth?????

'borrow" instead of lend - "Will you borrow me five bucks?" Spare me!

"of went" - "I should of went there." Head banging, here.

Waitresses who call everyone, even little blue haired ladies (which I will be in the not too distant future), "guys" as in "Hi guys, how's it tastin?" or "Thanks guys, do you need change?" GRRRRR. Yes, I need all my change. Your tip just went down to 10%.

Eve

I just want to say "hi guys" to everyone on this amazing thread. No offense but, I think you should of taken the attitude that it's all good and not be so easily bugged sweating the small stuff - bless your hearts. I mean, little quirky sayings and what not are what make everyone fairly unique!

Have a super day!

I just want to say "hi guys" to everyone on this amazing thread. No offense but, I think you should of taken the attitude that it's all good and not be so easily bugged sweating the small stuff - bless your hearts. I mean, little quirky sayings and what not are what make everyone fairly unique!

Have a super day!

Hi ziggy
Even though I have complained and added my two cents to this thread, I have also laughed out loud at some of the posts! I think as we get older (47 here) little things bother us more, but its good to laugh at them too, I agree!:)

Have a super day!
Okay,I may have to just skim over this post,because the whole thing is driving me crazy!!! LOL...too funny ziggy.:)

Have a super day!

Ziggy ~ I have to "give you props" for that post. It was GREAT! LOL. This entire thread has brightened my week and made me laugh.

Quite frankly, I annoy myself by over using the expression "quite frankly".

I don't know if this can be considered an annoying phrase, since it's a word.... but if I hear someone say the word 'HEIGHTH' one more time... I am going to seriously lose it and someone is going to get hurt!!!! The word H-E-I-G-H-T does not have a 'TH' on the end,, people!!!! The words are WIDTH and HEIGHT. (as in 'T')....!!! This started a few years ago and spread like a virus. Now even my professors at school say it--- unbelievable!!!

That being said, you would think we couldn't give these cliches away at the charity store but people keep looking them over and feeling them out. Finally, they say "Ring 'em up!" and walk out with them, sure they will come in right handy at Sunday brunch.

"For real" this is my little sister favorite saying. I always reply back "no for fake "

"You know what" can't stand that one either. I ask if they will introduce me to "what" cause we have not met.

Ending a sentence with "you know". No if I know why are you telling me again.

Ok for some reason i just died laughing reading this post! Like literally laughing out loud. I used to say 'for real' when i was younger because it was the 'cool' thing to say and my parents would get so mad! 'no for fake' is just hilarious!

I hate when people say :
Point blank.
Honestly...(followed by a lie)
Hear me out
To make a long story short...(its never short!)

I'm "sick" of hearing my teens tell me how "sick" everything is. That's sick, this is sick, look at how sick it is. There's an epidemic! One more that I'm hearing a lot of lately is, "man". Man this, man that, ya know man, and man, that bites. Ok, last one, "dude". Start a sentence with dude, throw in a sick or bites and end with a man. "Dude, that guitar is sick, man." or "Man, that bites dude."

I feel so much better for getting this out of my system :)

ITA.

But I guess we could just answer them with a smirk and a "Whatever!" lol

Hate that "whatever!" Ick.

"kewl" (ugh) thread! Here are mine:

The "hon" thing drives me up a wall, esp. when ordering food from someone under the age of 20 (or waaay younger than me). I think it points to arrogance...I don't even call children that and I have 3 of my own!

Missoura versus Missouri...Illinoise vs. correct pronunciation...

And finally, "that's just how I roll" It was funny for a bit, but now it's old.

JMO

Happy Thanksgiving!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Moonlit7