PA - 11 killed, 6 injured in mass shooting at Pittsburgh Synagogue, 27 Oct 2018 *guilty, death sentence*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Local Jewish organizations release statement in wake of deadly shootings at Pittsburgh synagogue

The Jewish community of Buffalo, NY, is heartbroken by the unprecedented anti-Semitic attack perpetrated on Shabbat morning October 27, 2018. We mourn the tragic loss of life at the Tree of Life Synagogue in Squirrel Hill, PA, and we thank the first responders who rushed to the scene undeterred by the violence that awaited them. We pray for the healing of the wounds of body and mind sustained by all the victims.

Additionally, we thank the Buffalo and Amherst law enforcement agencies throughout the area for swiftly mobilizing to protect our Jewish institutions and remaining vigilant on our behalf. We pray that the American Jewish community and the country can find healing.

As a community, we express our solidarity with our friends at the Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society (HIAS), who have been working tirelessly to keep our country a place of refuge for innocent people seeking safety from persecution. We honor their century-old mission by seeing this as an assault on all who remain under threat in the USA and around the world. We ardently support and echo our local human services agency and HIAS affiliate, Jewish Family Service of Buffalo & Erie County’s (JFS), who proclaim with the words of Elie Wiesel: “All are entitled to live with dignity and respect. All are entitled to live without fear or pain.”

JFS supports the most vulnerable in our community, inspired by the same Jewish commitment to justice that motivates HIAS. This vision is rooted in the lessons of Jewish history, which teach us that no group should suffer oppression, intolerance or genocide. It is anchored by our shared powerful belief that all people are created “b’tselem Elohim”—in the image of the Creator—and are thus equally deserving of respect and human rights.

We affirm our conviction that hate and intolerance have no place in our world, and that the killing of human beings because of who they are—because of their religion, race, sexual identity, or nationality—is an affront and alarm to all.

We resolve in their memory that we will never abandon the struggle to realize our highest ideals.

The Jewish Community Relations Council’s mission is inspired by Jewish values and seeks to sustain a more civil and caring community in WNY and around the world. To that end, we see this as a moment of great unification of purpose - to unite our cities, states and nation to tap our outrage to effectuate positive change and safeguards.

We vow to partner with our public officials, faith leaders, and good people everywhere to work towards combating anti-Semitism, racism and xenophobia. We call upon our neighbors and friends to act with us as we bring the full force of our collective voice to bear on this tragedy.

We hold in our hearts Joyce Fienberg, Richard Gottfried, Rose Mallinger, Jerry Rabinowitz, Cecil Rosenthal, David Rosenthal, Bernice Simon, Sylvan Simon, Daniel Stein, Melvin Wax, and Irving Younger.

May their memories be a source of blessing -- and a call to action.

Feds now say it's undetermined whether synagogue shooting suspect legally bought weapons

Federal officials now say they have not determined whether the man accused of killing 11 people and wounding six others at a Squirrel Hill synagogue Saturday legally owned 10 guns, including the four he is believed to have used in the shooting.

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) previously said that Robert Bowers, 46, of Baldwin, legally owned the guns.

But on Wednesday, the ATF out of Philadelphia tweeted: “Yesterday’s tweet re: Tree of Life investigation, and the conclusion that the defendant legally acquired and possessed the firearms, was premature. No determination has been made on legal acquisition/possession of the firearms.”​

Yes, Jews are often stereotyped as being involved in business / trading / selling as a group. In modern times, they are no more and no less likely to own businesses than anyone else. But, the historic reputation still stands.

In earlier times, however, the stereotype was based on fact. In many countries Jews were either directly forbidden from owning land (source of income), serving in the military, or serving in governmental positions. Some nations had this policy as a matter of law. Others just discriminated to the extent that Jews were de facto forbidden from these positons.

Jewish people, however, needed to support themselves somehow, so they tended to become vendors, own businesses, be traders etc. Here are some sources:

Anti-Semitism - Anti-Semitism in medieval Europe
Economic antisemitism - Wikipedia

I think to understand vendor culture better, one could read the memoirs of
Glückel of Hameln - Wikipedia

Gluckeln von Hameln, a Jewish woman living in Germany of the 16th - 17th century. Very many interesting things, but what I especially remembered was that Gluckeln raised 12 kids and married them all off into different cities - so should there be a violence toward Jews in one, the brothers and sisters could provide shelter and help to the sibling who lived there.

I wonder where he got the "jews are the enemy and bad people" from? Thats a very White Nationalist ideology. We are suddenly having our leaders admit to being, having and promoting Nationalist.
Oh boy, he is a loser, and losers often tend to blame others for their problems. It is easy to brainwash them and turn into some "anti". What specifically they choose depends on the hate site they find first.

As Obama put it, "lack of critical thinking".

OT: Are you a Slap Shot fan? :)

Of course! Spent many Saturday afternoons when I was growing up ice skating at the War Memorial arena it was filmed at. My cousin was in the high school band that played in the movie. I was already a young adult living in another state when it came out. It was 41 years ago, and my husband-to-be and I took my parents to the opening night of that film and then told them we were getting married. Celebrating our 41st anny in a month! And that’s more than you wanted to know about Johnstown, SlapShot, and Coco trivia!! Lol

Hi all. Since some people were asking about denominational differences, I wanted to give an insiders perspective, since a dictionary or encyclopedia definition of an Orthodox or Conservative Jew isn't necessarily going to represent the complex range of observance. My own identification is typically complex: I grew up going to an Orthodox synagogue, and still sometimes go to Orthodox services; my practice and belief probably puts me closest to the more traditional end of the Conservative movement, but I've never actually been a member of a synagogue affiliated with the movement - like many active Jews of the younger generation, I've gravitated toward smaller, independent "minyanim" (prayer groups) that might look more or less like a typical Conservative service, but that avoids institutional labels. That may be one explanation for why the victims were all older; the 50 + contingent are those that may be most likely to still be members of the more traditional, big congregation.

Theologically, the main difference between the Orthodox and Conservative movements involves the status of the oral law. Both movements, in theory, believe that the Torah (Bible) comes from G-d and that we are obligated to follow His commandments. The Orthodox movement, however, gives a similarly elevated status to that Talmud, or oral law: essentially, a tradition passed down by successive generations of rabbis. Because of the belief that the rabbis of the earlier generations were inspired and closer to G-d, Orthodoxy tends to treat their interpretations of laws as equally binding, so there is not as much room for change by later generations. The Conservative movement respects the tradition, but does not see it as equally binding and thus later generations can interpret the biblical laws in other, generally more lenient ways.

In practice, there is a lot of variation, even in terms of belief. This is true of both communities, but probably to a greater extent in the conservative movement, where I expect if you asked most people who belong to conservative congregations "What does Conservative Judaism believe about the written and oral law, respectively?" they probably wouldn't be able to answer and some wouldn't be sure what the oral law is. That would, however, probably not be true of the types of conservative Jews who are regular attending services, who would probably have a somewhat firmer grasp, whether or not they themselves subscribed to these positions (I would say that overwhelmingly, conservative Jews do not believe that the Bible is the direct word of G-d). Probably the most visible difference, at a service, involves the status of women: almost all Conservative synagogues are now fully gender-egalitarian, whereas in most Orthodox services, men and women sit separately, and women do not have any ritual role during services.

In lifestyle, both groups, again, vary widely. On the right of Orthodoxy, or the "ultra-Orthodox," you have certain groups that are living more or less isolated lives of extremely stringent observance. Many of these groups have very high rates of poverty, as they have many children and the fathers often study Torah rather than getting jobs outside the community, which their religious based educatino may not have prepared them for anyway. Other ultra-Orthodox groups - namely, the Lubavitch/Chabad -- mix more with the world, but still maintain a very strict standard of observance that infuses every facet of their lives.

Modern Orthodox Jews more or less live in the everyday world. A lot of them would dress in ways that might make them identifiably Jewish to outsiders (i.e, wearing a yarmulke/skullcap), but almost all of them go to secular universities, hold secular, usually professional jobs, etc. As in any community, some people may theoretically ID as Modern Orthodox because they grew up in the community and still believe nominally in its precepts, even though their observance has become lax in fundamental ways. This would be less possible, however, in an ultra-Orthodox community ,where deviance from the norm is not tolerated. On the left wing of MO, there are now people testing some of the boundaries of halacha (Jewish law) involving things like women's participation and the status of homosexuality; these people are not willing to go as far as the other movements because they still take a limited view of how much power later generations have to overrule earlier ones, but they are looking for ways within halacha to advance on social justice issues.

On the rightmost edge of the Conservative movement, you have people who are indistinguishable from a MO person in terms of observance, but may be committed to full gender egalitarianism. On the left, you have people who may observe almost no aspects of traditional Judaism, but when they go to a service, prefer the more traditional liturgy of Conservative Judaism to Reform Judaism's more flexible services. But on average, I'd say the active conservative Jew is someone for whom Judaism is the core of their identity and a big part of their lives, but not necessarily something that is guiding their daily actions to the same extent as an Orthodox Jew: they celebrate Shabbat and holidays with varying levels of stringency, may be active in Jewish social and volunteer organizations, etc, but on a random Tuesday, they probably aren't going to go to daily prayers, and even if they follow some dietary laws, they probably won't have to stress about finding the nearest kosher restaurant because they're willing to eat vegetarian food without a kosher certification. They may observe traditional Shabbat restrictions against all forms of labor (including using electricity, driving, etc), or they may make a practice of doing the Friday night rituals at their family dinner, go to services, but then be perfectly willing to go to a movie later in the afternoon.

Hope this is helpful. Thank you to everyone who has expressed their well-wishes to the community - while I have no Pittsburgh connections, the Jewish community is small enough that this hits close to home for all of us, and it is heartening to see so many people showing their support.

Thank you very much. It was hard for me to explain, being not Jewish and secular, but I have seen and observed enough groups. Starting from ultra-orthodox ones coming back from Israel and ending with a group of (I assume) Hasidic Jews living in Boston. They all had good sense of humor. And I can say they did notice things around them. Once, I met a group of them carrying some corns during Sukkot. One of them asked me, "are you Jewish?" I felt awkward, here I am, dressed anything but conservatively, and these godly people, all in black...So when i said, "no", my tone was probably apologizing. One of them looked at me and said, consolingly, "it's OK". :) My very good memory of Boston.

It makes sense now why the group was old, thank you for explaining it.

Bowers posted about the satanic Jews. I wonder where he got that? <modsnip>

(Maybe because I come from Europe). You don't need to travel far to find books about "satanic" Jews and homosexuals. They mix them all together. Add citations from the Bible. Shaken, not stirred. I can't call these cocktails anything but sh@@ty. I assume that if this is published in other countries, something similar exists here.

Pittsburgh synagogue shooting suspect pleads not guilty

Robert Bowers, accused of gunning down 11 people at a Pittsburgh synagogue, pleaded not guilty Thursday to federal hate crime and other charges.

A grand jury on Wednesday charged Bowers, 46, in a 44-count indictment with murder, hate crime, obstructing the practice of religion and other charges.

In his court appearance Thursday, Bowers requested a trial by jury.

Government officials estimate the case could last about a month, or longer if it becomes a capital case. Bowers faces a possible death sentence or life in prison.

Waterbury man taught at Tree of Life synagogue in Pittsburgh

WATERBURY, Conn. (WTNH) - For Waterbury's Moshe Schwarz, the shooting spree inside the Tree of Life synagogue in Pittsburgh hit very close to home.

"Utter shock," he said. "I couldn't believe it was happening in a place that I knew so well."

Moshe lives in Waterbury. But for five and a half years, he called Pittsburgh home. He lived in the Squirrel Hill neighborhood -- home of the Tree of Life synagogue where a gunman opened fire last Saturday. In fact, he used to teach Sunday school there.

On Thursday, he spoke out exclusively to News 8.​

Pittsburgh synagogue suspect pleads not guilty

PITTSBURGH (AP) — The Latest on the aftermath of the Pittsburgh synagogue massacre (all times local):

4:15 p.m.

The son of a couple killed in the Pittsburgh synagogue attack says his parents were a “beacon of light” whose example can help “eliminate the hate that led to their untimely deaths.”

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that hundreds of mourners attended the funeral for Sylvan and Bernice Simon on Thursday.

They were among the 11 victims of the weekend attack at Tree of Life synagogue.

The Simons were married at Tree of Life 62 years ago.

Marc Simon, says “our lives were shattered” when his parents were “senselessly, brutally and savagely murdered.”

Family members recalled the Simons as warm and welcoming and dedicated to their faith and each other.

The suspect in the slayings has pleaded not guilty.

Myrtle Beach Jewish congregations host vigil honoring victims in Pittsburgh synagogue shooting

MYRTLE BEACH, SC (WBTW) - On Thursday, people in Myrtle Beach honored the eleven people who were shot and killed at a synagogue in Pittsburgh recently. They gathered for a vigil at the city's holocaust memorial in the Market Common area.

Temple Emanue-El and Chabad of Myrtle Beach organized the service, and the city's two other jewish congregations joined along with the general public. U.S. Congressman Tom Rice, State Representative Alan Clemmons, and Myrtle Beach Mayor Brenda Bethune also spoke the service.

The service included readings, Jewish songs of praise and mourning and also the lighting of candles for each victim who died in the shooting.

The speakers at the vigil talked about unity and the need to come together and support each other after tragedies like this.
"I think every community, every community across the country needs to acknowledge what happened. Even what happened in Charleston a couple of years ago, we all acknowledged that. We all acknowledge it's a tragedy when this happens," said Lily Ann Revitch, the president of the congregation at Temple Shalom.​

SHOW UP FOR SHABBAT

From New York to New Zealand and from Utah to the UK, thousands of Jews and people of all faiths are pledging to #ShowUpForShabbat this weekend in solidarity with Pittsburgh’s Jewish community and sending a resounding message that love triumphs over hate.

Show Up For Shabbat

---
Services will be live streamed as well.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member