PA - Assassination attempt, shooting injures former POTUS Donald Trump, leaves 1 spectator deceased two in critical condition, 13 July 2024 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This case is hot news in my country in Europe (Poland)

From my country's MSM

"According to a military expert:

'American services should have immediately received a 'red flag' when they saw a 20-year-old man lying on the roof.

- No one lies alone on the roof and no one works alone.

All over the world people work in pairs and even in threes.

We have a spotter who sees what's happening nearby.
It has a larger angle and better visibility.

And next to him is a sniper who has a scope and can see the target.

And they communicate with each other.

If someone told me that there was one person lying on the roof,
the reaction of the services should have been immediate' - says a former military man.

'During this type of events,
the services protect individual sectors.

There is a division of sectors, and unfortunately, responsibility for safety in them often overlaps.

If the information that someone was on the roof reached one of the sectors, there could have been a scuffle between the services.

No one wanted to take responsibility for this particular place with the gunman on the roof.

Already then,
precious seconds were running out'
- says a security expert and veteran of Military Unit."

I don't see this person as a "sniper" I will go as far as gunman but I personally do not feel this was a well planned "mission" just my thoughts. I think we have a lot of lone wolf shooters here. And we know that one officer did call it in was that for back up or? He did not get very many shots in I feel he was taken down quickly, I mean preferred would be he was taken down prior but there are protocols and communications were ongoing between officers I believe. Great to see a foreign perspective though. I heard maybe 6 shots, and some of those were from LE so they got him very quickly in my opinion.

Thinking aloud, I wonder if the detonator and the wired car was his escape plan, if they started coming towards him , explode the car and run....regardless LE did not let him have a chance to cause more damage with an explosion.

It looked to me like he got down as soon as he realized he had been shot at. He was down before the SS reached him. Pretty fast IMO for someone who probably has never heard a bullet buzzing by his head.
Some people would freeze in a situaton where they had been shot like that, but President Trump's instincts kicked in when he heard and felt the bullet hit him, and he got down immediately.

I am not a gun person at all, although I am a parent of young adults.

Whenever something happens on the road or at school events or workplaces my children might be involved with, my mind immediately snaps to their safety.

A kid swerved into a tree? Where are my kids is my first question.

So, I think if I had an AR15 and knew my child borrowed it, I could imagine that my first thought when there is a shooting is, "Is my child okay?"

It doesn't strike me as that unusual that a parent would think of his child first when something is going on.

MOO
Yes. But he thought his son was the shooter, as opposed to a victim of the shooter. That’s a big difference.

ABC News now:

The staging area was inside the building the shooter climbed on.

Director of the secret service calls it “unacceptable,” and says it “shouldn’t happen again.”

She will not wait on an independent review, and make immediate changes to include expanded tactical support for Trump.

Shooter bought rounds online and in person in the days and weeks before.

Shooters house is still blocked off and they are going door to door speaking with neighbors. One neighbor who appeared to be the shooter’s age said that he thought his parents were nice people, and they said hi in passing. He didn’t know anything about the shooter though, who he says kept to himself.

I posted the law a couple of times it doesn't delineate a reduced protection.

Now the secret service might try to spend that story, but that is not what the law states. The only loophole I found is if a president declines coverage and Trump has not denied coverage.

Moo
Yes, the law states that former presidents and presidential candidates within the 120 day framework must receive protection.

However, as the article explains, the LEVEL of protection and how many agents are deemed necessary is determined by Homeland Security, and by how severe the Secret Service determines the threat to be in the case of a former president.

The article goes on to say that typically there are four agents in three round-the-clock shifts, so 12, but that George W. Bush received so many threats that he was given a complement of 75 agents altogether.

The fault here would lie then with whomever determined how many agents were necessary for Trump. Of course one more agent on that roof would have negated this entire situation.

The metal detectors were to get inside the venue itself. Although he allegedly was spotted near them, he ultimately fired from outside the perimeter.
Regardless of where he shot from, I can't imagine anybody walking around the grounds with a rifle slung over their shoulder and where this wouldn't draw immediate attention! But I've never been to PA or a Trump rally.

Also, I've never read he was sited with a gun anyplace but on the roof top. Reports that he was looking nervous near the magnetometer did not include he was carrying a gun.

I'm still wondering if he planted the rifle somewhere near the building until he was ready to climb up on the roof. IMO, he didn't spend more than 5 mins on the roof before his life ended. It had to be miserably hot up there! JMO

I watch the video over a hundred times Friday night. I'm glad you mentioned the height and I'm not the only one who noticed.

When Trump first stood up, I noticed he was extremely pale, white, when he raised his fist his color began to return. There were no SS in front of him. They left him wide open and that's on the secret service. The female agent came from behind the others, push that podium out of the way and immediately went to the front and covered him. I also noticed she had her arm around his waist and appeared to be supporting/bearing some of his weight going down the steps. I think she did an outstanding job!!! We were still able to see Trump's head because he towered over her. I just didn't understand why one of those tall men didn't step in front of Trump, they were all behind him.

Once they arrived at the vehicle, she shoved him in the vehicle and slammed the door and held her hand on the door. Another female agent, beside her, with weapon draw, until the door was shut.

I was of proud of these two young ladies. I agree, they need all tall agents, due to Trump's height.

Moo...
ETA ... The link shows the shooting and the trip to the car about Midway through
I agree, the female agents were right on it and did an amazing job. Unfortunately, they, like me look to be about five feet tall and I agree that since Trump is tall, that the plan should have considered his height when putting the group of SS together. JMO

It could have also been seen as someone exercising his Constitutional right to bear arms. Trump and the GOP in general support gun owners' rights including open carry, etc. So I would guess that some might not have seen it as necessarily alarming. Imo.

From earlier this year:

"A federal appeals court on Thursday ruled that Pennsylvania laws that ban 18- to 20-year-olds from carrying firearms in public during a state of emergency are unconstitutional, citing a landmark U.S. Supreme Court ruling that expanded gun rights."
Maybe it’s just me but I live in Texas where probably 95% of gun owners live (exaggerated statistic - I don’t actually know), and I still would find it alarming to see a guy carrying an AR-15.

Earlier we read no ladder was involved, and now CNN is reporting he purchased one at HD that morning…

CNN —
In the 48 hours before he opened fire on former President Donald Trump, 20-year-old Thomas Matthew Crooks made a series of stops in and around his suburban Pittsburgh hometown.

On Friday, he went to a shooting range where he was a member, and practiced firing, a law enforcement official told CNN. The next morning, Crooks went to a Home Depot, where he bought a five-foot ladder, and a gun store, where he purchased 50 rounds of ammunition, the official said.

Maybe it’s just me but I live in Texas where probably 95% of gun owners live (exaggerated statistic - I don’t actually know), and I still would find it alarming to see a guy carrying an AR-15.
I have seen it here in AZ on more than one occasion and yes, as vls12345 said it is often someone exercising their Constitutional right to bear arms. however I would feel that at a Political rally that would be frowned on. (and although it is legal I do find it alarming)

Earlier we read no ladder was involved, and now CNN is reporting he purchased one at HD that morning…

CNN —
In the 48 hours before he opened fire on former President Donald Trump, 20-year-old Thomas Matthew Crooks made a series of stops in and around his suburban Pittsburgh hometown.

On Friday, he went to a shooting range where he was a member, and practiced firing, a law enforcement official told CNN. The next morning, Crooks went to a Home Depot, where he bought a five-foot ladder, and a gun store, where he purchased 50 rounds of ammunition, the official said.

ok, he had to look suspicious carrying a ladder, but then again there is video of him climbing on the roof so I guess nothing is really surprising anymore.

Not that we expect people to behave correctly after being shot at, but it seemed to me that Trump should have got down sooner. And stayed down. After all, they didn't know if there were other shooters in the area.

It was perplexing to me. <modsnip: not victim friendly>

MOO, based on viewing the videos.
I would imagine that he was stunned when something hit his ear, heard the gunshots and realized he had been shot.

And another thing. Why would an officer call it in as a suspicious person? Just go put the guy in cuffs if he is in a building with no reason. Do LE officers have brains anymore?
On what charge?

If it's legal to walk around with an assault rifle it's legal to walk around with an assault rifle.

Law enforcement can only enforce existing laws, they can't invent them.

Now, if it were not legal to carry any gun, or if that sort of assault rifle were not legal, LE would have more than "suspicious person" to go on.

MOO

CNN —

Ok, that ladder thing tells us that he had likely scoped out the area beforehand, and knew he'd need it. So he was either there in the days prior, or used Google Earth or something. I tend to think he was there in person, as he happened to pick the perfect spot with which to view the stage.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Houndgirl2003
Back