PA - Assassination attempt, shooting injures former POTUS Donald Trump, leaves 1 spectator deceased two in critical condition, 13 July 2024 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Because when a prior president/president comes to town the security rules change and on the surface TMC fit the profile of a mass shooter.
As I said " I guess no red flags were raised" when he purchased the ammo.
I totally get what you’re saying but I think like SO many people would fit that profile at first glance. He also could have looked like a computer nerd or a typical college kid. Especially in a rural setting, a lot of guys his age would have hair and clothing like his.

Because when a prior president/president comes to town the security rules change and on the surface TMC fit the profile of a mass shooter.
As I said " I guess no red flags were raised" when he purchased the ammo.

One thing I considered is tc lived hour and a half.

Second is he may have purchased ammo there before.

Jmo

There was far too much reliance on local police. Butler Farm grounds may be a fine venue for small fairs and tractor pulls. No way should a major political figure - during a polarizing election - been positioned at a podium in open line of sight of trees and buildings, with a public audience directly behind him in bleachers. They were all sitting ducks. Epic failure.

Pittsburgh is equipped to prepare for these types of rallies. Bridges and rooftops are cleared. Garbage cans and street manholes get locked down. Mailboxes are removed. Butler was not prepared and was a poor choice for this now tragic event.

jmo

Yeah way too close. It reminded me that once on the golf course I was really startled and angry because a golf ball whizzed by my ear and the people behind us didn’t yell “fore”. I was like that could have taken me out omg.

Cannot imagine a bullet grazing my ear. Idc who you are, that is going to scare the wits out of you and make you do some reflecting. I’m interested to see if DT’s speeches take on a new flavor, and I also hope he has mental health support in place if he needs it.
Yes, that sounds scary. You and Trump were both lucky, but it shouldn’t be a matter of luck in either case. Trump is one tough cookie, and seems more determined than ever. IMO

Bbm.
Agreed ; esp. the bolded.
TC never should've been able to access anyplace near this event whilst armed !
Omo.

I suspect he stashed the rifle hours before the actual event either in the spruce or threw it up onto the roof hours before the event started.

I can't imagine he would have been allowed to park in the back where he could leave leave the rifle in his car before it was needed.

nypost.com/2024/07/15/media/morning-joe-pulled-from-air-monday-over-trump-assassination-attempt/

cnn.com/2024/07/14/media/msnbc-morning-joe-pulled-trump-assassination/index.html

It also emerged that the roof from which the gunman Thomas Matthew Crooks shot at Donald Trump
had previously been flagged as a potential security problem by the Secret Service.

Red emphasis mine.

Curious if the secret service had mentioned this before -- or after -- the assassination attempt ?
Because if the SS voiced concerns before, one might think they would have told the local LE to get themselves up on those roofs and cover that area !
Imo.
Omo.

nypost.com/2024/07/15/media/morning-joe-pulled-from-air-monday-over-trump-assassination-attempt/

cnn.com/2024/07/14/media/msnbc-morning-joe-pulled-trump-assassination/index.html

It also emerged that the roof from which the gunman Thomas Matthew Crooks shot at Donald Trump
had previously been flagged as a potential security problem by the Secret Service.

Red emphasis mine.

Curious if the secret service had mentioned this before -- or after -- the assassination attempt ?
Because if the SS voiced concerns before, one might think they would have told the local LE to get themselves up on those roofs and cover that area !
Imo.
Omo.

In the video showing the gunman crawing up the incline of the roof, you can see police officers in the video running around the building trying to get a view of him but the view is blocked by the roof itself.

I wonder if there were any other LE around the back of the building.

Again, I still don't know the shooter could possibly have pulled this off unless he stashed the rifle in the tall spruce in the back next to the building or threw it on the roof before hand.

I would think there would be police drones to discover the latter... so maybe he did stash it in that big spruce bush in the back

That is what I had thought, but it seems that the incident has increased interest in political rallies, and in support for Donald Trump. Going by social media more are planning to attend future rallies.

JMO
Good. It kinda reminds me of the defiant attitude following 9/11. "No one can push us around".

There was far too much reliance on local police. Butler Farm grounds may be a fine venue for small fairs and tractor pulls. No way should a major political figure - during a polarizing election - been positioned at a podium in open line of sight of trees and buildings, with a public audience directly behind him in bleachers. They were all sitting ducks. Epic failure.

Pittsburgh is equipped to prepare for these types of rallies. Bridges and rooftops are cleared. Garbage cans and street manholes get locked down. Mailboxes are removed. Butler was not prepared and was a poor choice for this now tragic event.

jmo
TBH, a field outside a small town is less expensive than a big-city venue.

I think candidates need to reach small-town America and this site could have been made more secure.

I don't fault the decision to rally at that site but the apparent lack of coordination between agencies...and the man with a gun.

jmo

That is what I had thought, but it seems that the incident has increased interest in political rallies, and in support for Donald Trump. Going by social media more are planning to attend future rallies.

JMO
I myself would be scared to, especially with that poor man who was killed. But I guess people assume, lightening never strikes twice.

Good. It kinda reminds me of the defiant attitude following 9/11. "No one can push us around".
What I remember clearly about the days following 9/11 (I live in Manhattan) is how the country UNITED, instantly.

I never, ever, ever want to experience anything like that again, but the unity was nice, and I was proud of that reaction in my country.

jmo

Yes, that sounds scary. You and Trump were both lucky, but it shouldn’t be a matter of luck in either case. Trump is one tough cookie, and seems more determined than ever. IMO
I’ll admit I have to hand it to him for just being able to think of the crowd at all in that moment. It would have been really easy not to and it does seem like his gesture of “I’m okay” kept some chaos at bay.

Bringing my post over from the first thread :

" Even if the perp accessed the roof fully outside of the rally perimeters, i.e., the area people had to pass through metal detectors --- then that was too small !
Roughly 150 yards was the distance from the perp to Trump, or 450 feet; and the perimeter was less than that, as it didn't include the buildings to the side ?

Since a bullet can travel much farther than that, why not secure as large a distance as a perp could reasonably shoot someone ?
They needed someone on that roof and prob. the building & roof behind that one as well.
This could have been even worse if there'd been more than the single perp.

I'm questioning if the secret service decided the area outside of the staging and crowd areas didn't need beefed-up security; and they thought the other buildings didn't pose a threat ?
And if so, why ?

My opinion and am saying this a layperson without experience in security --I would have made sure any rooftops had secret service in place as a precaution.
Too close and too tempting for a deranged shooter.
Omo."

Even if it was solely the local LE's responsibility, and not the secret service --I'm assuming the SS and possibly the PA LE would've known the other two buildings needed to be secured on their rooftops as well ?

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13635097/Secret-Service-trump-assassination-Thomas-Matthew-Crooks.html

'This isn't a big place, there's not a lot of buildings around here, why is everything not covered.'

If a rally attendee/ordinary person observed a lack in security, wouldn't the secret service already known and taken steps in advance.
At the very least, if the person in charge of the SS had assumed the local LE was in charge of the other buildings-- I'd have checked to make sure everything was fully protected, including all nearby buildings.
Omo.
On retrospect, in a country with so many guns like ours, maybe an outside venue was not wise.

But, on the other hand, outside it is possible for more interested people to participate, just as the people who alerted to the shooter did- they could just come informally with a picnic, and that would not be possible if it were indoors.

I'm sure SS alerted the campaign about the limits of a realistic perimeter.

It still seems like that rooftop would have been a good place for local LE to put their lead person- with a good view of the area. On retrospect, it also would have been a good place for the owner/lease to put private security just to prevent having spectators climb there dangerously. Who needs to deal with broken wrists and legs that could follow a group deciding to get a closer look from there.

But overall, I'm sure the campaign was aware of the benefits of the venue and the risks.

Even in rural USA, even with candidates heavily influenced by the NRA, it is more likely that a shooting not happen at a rally. The venue was chosen by the campaign- it was accessible and had many pluses. SS can give a safety assessment but they can't tell the campaign to reject a venue. The unlikely scenario that an assassin would come on the scene and fire shots did not dictate decision-making.

MOO

In regards to the crowd standing there watching, I was witness to a car chase and subsequent carjacking a few years ago. I was a few cars back from the one the suspect carjacked. Officers opened fire as he was driving away. I saw the officers with their guns drawn and I heard the shots but I remember not comprehending the situation. It took a few moments for my brain to kick in and tell me to duck down for safety sake. I think not being accustomed to such an environment it takes a moment for instinct to kick in, if it even does.
ETA: tried to quote post from previous thread, it didn’t work.

jmo
The campaign chose the venue.

MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member