PA - Assassination attempt, shooting injures former POTUS Donald Trump, leaves 1 spectator deceased two in critical condition, 13 July 2024 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I have wondered if he borrowed his parents car that day and that was why they were concerned about him. I do find it curious that you would call 911 so quickly though, something triggered the parents that day for them to call before the shootings happened. So missed opportunities with this guy that day! Father of Trump gunman called police about son before attack
I had read that he called when he noticed his son and one of his guns was missing. But that begs the question... how did he know his gun was missing? If they were locked up, as they should have been IMO, something would have driven him to go check on his weapons stash to see if they were all accounted for. I can't imagine it was really obvious one was missing, like if he had them all on display on a wall or something, and it was glaring that one wasn't in its spot on the wall. So that makes me think something triggered his father to go take a look at his stash, and count to see if they were all there. But why? Did he suspect something?

Matthew Crooks realized his 20-year-old son, Thomas Matthew Crooks, and an AR-style rifle were missing shortly after shots were fired at the former president at a campaign rally on Saturday in Butler, Pennsylvania.

I had read that he called when he noticed his son and one of his guns was missing. But that begs the question... how did he know his gun was missing? If they were locked up, as they should have been IMO, something would have driven him to go check on his weapons stash to see if they were all accounted for. I can't imagine it was really obvious one was missing, like if he had them all on display on a wall or something, and it was glaring that one wasn't in its spot on the wall. So that makes me think something triggered his father to go take a look at his stash, and count to see if they were all there. But why? Did he suspect something?

Matthew Crooks realized his 20-year-old son, Thomas Matthew Crooks, and an AR-style rifle were missing shortly after shots were fired at the former president at a campaign rally on Saturday in Butler, Pennsylvania.

That article says the father realized after shots were fired that his son and AR were missing.

It makes me wonder if he was watching tv when everything unfolded and then decided to check the guns. Just speculation and not facts here. imo

Tonight at 10:30 PM Eastern, former Secret Service Agent Jim Rathmann will join us to discuss what happened at the Trump rally.
During his time with the Secret Service, Jim guarded President Obama and many world leaders. He will offer great insight into what happened last Saturday.
WE GO LIVE AT 10:30 PM EASTERN TONIGHT.
Click on the box below to take you to our livestream on YouTube

An aerial photo taken Monday of the Butler Farm Show grounds, site of the Trump campaign rally in Butler, Pa.

The gunman who tried to kill Donald Trump was able to fly a drone and get aerial footage of the western Pennsylvania fairgrounds shortly before the former president was set to speak there, law-enforcement officials briefed on the matter said, further underscoring the stunning security lapses ahead of Trump’s near assassination.

Thomas Matthew Crooks flew the drone on a programmed flight path earlier in the day on July 13 to scour the Butler Farm Show grounds ahead of Trump’s ill-fated rally, the officials said. The predetermined path, the officials added, suggests Crooks flew the drone more than once as he researched and scoped out the event site

A gunman who tried to kill Donald Trump was able to fly a drone and get aerial footage of the western Pennsylvania fairgrounds shortly before the former president was set to speak there, law-enforcement officials briefed on the matter said, further underscoring the stunning security lapses ahead of Trump’s near assassination.

I have mixed feelings about this event and the use of drones.

I've heard arguments that LE should have used drones to aid in surveillance that could have identified the shooter and stopped him from firing at President Trump. It's hard for me to argue against that.

I also know that small inexpensive drones are being routinely used in the war in Ukraine as weapons or weapon delivery devices. They are hard to defeat and have been very effective.

Now we learn that the shooter used one to reconnoiter the fairgrounds and may have used that intelligence to help evade detection by LE.

If LE has drones above a future event like this how will anyone know if a bad guy is also flying one with the intent of killing someone?

Will the intruder be discovered before anything happens? Can you tell the difference between friend or foe in time? I'm not sure. JMO.

So, wouldn't that imply he did not know his son was at the shooting range at any point? Otherwise he would have expected the gun to be missing.

I have mixed feelings about this event and the use of drones.

I've heard arguments that LE should have used drones to aid in surveillance that could have identified the shooter and stopped him from firing at President Trump. It's hard for me to argue against that.

I also know that small inexpensive drones are being routinely used in the war in Ukraine as weapons or weapon delivery devices. They are hard to defeat and have been very effective.

Now we learn that the shooter used one to reconnoiter the fairgrounds and may have used that intelligence to help evade detection by LE.

If LE has drones above a future event like this how will anyone know if a bad guy is also flying one with the intent of killing someone?

Will the intruder be discovered before anything happens? Can you tell the difference between friend or foe in time? I'm not sure. JMO.

It's analogous to firearms. People with many different intents can carry them. How do we know what a person's intentions are and how do we differentiate those with good intentions from those with ill intentions?

That article says the father realized after shots were fired that his son and AR were missing.

It makes me wonder if he was watching tv when everything unfolded and then decided to check the guns. Just speculation and not facts here. imo
So back to my question... did he then suspect that his son might have been the shooter, and that's why he went to go check his stash to see if his guns were all accounted for? Because something made him check. I can't imagine checking you gun stash is most people's natural and first reaction. A gut feeling, perhaps? Entirely possible I suppose. JMO

So back to my question... did he then suspect that his son might have been the shooter, and that's why he went to go check his stash to see if his guns were all accounted for? Because something made him check. I can't imagine checking you gun stash is most people's natural and first reaction. A gut feeling, perhaps? Entirely possible I suppose. JMO
I think that’s a good question. People wouldn’t routinely check there firearm cache. imo

The Trump rally shooter searched online for information on the arrest of a Michigan mass shooter and his parents, who were prosecuted in a 2021 high school shooting. He visited websites for how to build explosives. And in the minutes before he fired shots in an attempted assassination of Donald Trump, he screenshotted a picture from a livestream of the Butler, Pennsylvania, rally

Investigators have found data showing that Crooks had visited the location of the rally a week before it was to be held. And on the morning of the rally, he visited the farm where the rally was to be held for over an hour. He then went home, and investigators believe he retrieved an AR-15 rifle owned by his father. Crooks’ father told investigators that he saw his son leave the home with the rifle and believed he was going to a shooting range that the two had frequented

The previously unreported readout documents the scope of the investigation, including an expanded timeline of Thomas Matthew Crooks' actions leading to his assault and law enforcement's failure to prevent it. Investigators remain puzzled about possible motives for Saturday's incident in Butler, Pennsylvania, finding little to point to political or ideological intentions for the attack.

Crooks' recent trail on the internet has provided investigators with a detailed picture of his possible mindset before the attack. FBI behavioral experts are building a profile of Crooks based on the findings, the FBI told lawmakers.

On his primary cellphone, investigators found an image of the arrest photo of Oxford High School shooter Ethan Crumbley, who was sentenced to life in prison for killing four students and injuring six others and a teacher in 2021. Federal officials said Crooks researched information about the now 18-year-old and his parents, James and Jennifer Crumbley, who were both found guilty of involuntary manslaughter.

The last search Thomas Crooks made on his cell phone before attempting to assassinate Donald Trump was for *advertiser censored*, a senior law enforcement source tells the Daily Beast.

The source, who asks not to be named, said the FBI’s Operational Technology Division in Quantico, Va., made the discovery when it finally gained access to the contents of 20-year-old Crooks’ encrypted Samsung phone. Initial attempts at the Pittsburgh field office to crack open the Android failed and the device was flown to Quantico on an FBI plane.
[https://www.thedailybeast.com/donal...n-samsung-phone-was-for-*advertiser censored*

It's analogous to firearms. People with many different intents can carry them. How do we know what a person's intentions are and how do we differentiate those with good intentions from those with ill intentions?

You can't and won't know until they shoot or drop a small bomb.
Being in public at events with many people open carrying is a bit nerve-wracking.

You can't and won't know until they shoot or drop a small bomb.
Being in public at events with many people open carrying is a bit nerve-wracking.
I can imagine. Being in traffic with the general public is nerve wracking enough. Lol

Yes, you and I are on the same page. I agree that there were big holes left under the presumption that local LE were "on it", and unfortunately that wasn't the case. I quite dislike the SS pointing their fingers at local LE, but I can also understand that communication breakdowns exist. But when the stakes are this high, well... it's a big problem. What is, perhaps, local LE's fault, is that they secured the inside of the building, but for some reason neglected to secure the roof.

I only took issue with what I interpreted as criticism towards those SS who rushed to his aid. As I stated awhile back, they put their bodies between a gun and a politician for the good of the country. That's nothing to scoff at.

"Defied" may not be the right choice of word for his reaction. I was trying to convey that he was disobeying their orders to keep his head down. Conversely, when a crowd of your supporters is standing there watching you, wanting to know that you're okay, I can also understand his reaction and willingness to reassure his supporters in that most vulnerable moment.

Bold above by me -

Maybe others have already shared this info, but local reporters (CBS affiliate in Pittsburgh) interviewed the Butler Township Manager, Tom Knights, in a July 17 broadcast (link below). Mr. Knights said that Butler Township Police informed SS 2 days prior to the rally that they (Butler Township) didn't have the man-power to do anything but cover traffic at and around the event. The interview segment also states that SS did not confirm nor reply to that message. The reporter is initially unclear who the officers inside the building were: at first mention in the interview, she just calls them "police," which doesn't narrow it down for us here, but later calls them "local SWAT team members," and the Township Manager confirms that.

I will point out that there are both a Butler *Township* Police Department (the Farm Show facility is in that township) and a Butler *City* Police Department (Butler is the city where the hospital is that the former President was taken to). In other parts of PA, it's possible for a "township" and a "borough" (or city) to have the same name but totally separate governance and services (even though geographically, the borough may be completely surrounded by the township). But a search for Butler PA SWAT doesn't turn up any clear info (except a page for the Sheriff in Butler County, OHIO) about who the SWAT team works for.

Maybe someone else understands more clearly.

Interview link:
(This appears on the station's verified YouTube channel on July 17 - admins, please delete if YouTube's off-limits here)

Bold above by me -

Maybe others have already shared this info, but local reporters (CBS affiliate in Pittsburgh) interviewed the Butler Township Manager, Tom Knights, in a July 17 broadcast (link below). Mr. Knights said that Butler Township Police informed SS 2 days prior to the rally that they (Butler Township) didn't have the man-power to do anything but cover traffic at and around the event. The interview segment also states that SS did not confirm nor reply to that message. The reporter is initially unclear who the officers inside the building were: at first mention in the interview, she just calls them "police," which doesn't narrow it down for us here, but later calls them "local SWAT team members," and the Township Manager confirms that.

I will point out that there are both a Butler *Township* Police Department (the Farm Show facility is in that township) and a Butler *City* Police Department (Butler is the city where the hospital is that the former President was taken to). In other parts of PA, it's possible for a "township" and a "borough" (or city) to have the same name but totally separate governance and services (even though geographically, the borough may be completely surrounded by the township). But a search for Butler PA SWAT doesn't turn up any clear info (except a page for the Sheriff in Butler County, OHIO) about who the SWAT team works for.

Maybe someone else understands more clearly.

Interview link:
(This appears on the station's verified YouTube channel on July 17 - admins, please delete if YouTube's off-limits here)
I get you and have read many similar reports. The problem is that USSS didn't initially indicate which local police was in or wasn't in the building. Most reports I have read that state Butler Township Police were only tasked with a handful of traffic LE. Thanks

One might think TC's parent's first action would be to call him.
Then his friends, to see if he'd stopped by ?

Bbm.
Agreed.

TC may have exhibited red flags, but his family probably never imagined he had murder on his mind !
I'm sorry for all of the people he hurt, including his own family.
Omo.

they did call him (or text) without response, that was part of the reason why they were concerned IMO

On the day of the rally, his parents attempted to reach out to Crooks to find him. He didn’t respond.

A gunman who tried to kill Donald Trump was able to fly a drone and get aerial footage of the western Pennsylvania fairgrounds shortly before the former president was set to speak there, law-enforcement officials briefed on the matter said, further underscoring the stunning security lapses ahead of Trump’s near assassination.

Bbm.
It just keeps getting worse.

I have few words.
Seriously.
Other than what a terrible foul up.
Omo.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics