PA - Assassination attempt, shooting injures former POTUS Donald Trump, leaves 1 spectator deceased two in critical condition, 13 July 2024 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
KC won't resign and her arrogance isn't helping her garner any support/sympathy.
Is there a mechanism in place for her to be fired?

"In 2021, U.S. president Joe Biden awarded Cheatle a Presidential Rank Award for exceptional performance.[8] In August 2022, President Biden announced the appointment of Cheatle as director of the United States Secret Service,[9] and she assumed office on September 17, 2022.[1] Cheatle took over the Secret Service following "a turbulent couple of months in which the agency best known for protecting presidents has faced controversies related to the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol."[10]

She said she knew about the Iran threat against President Trump, she was briefed on that, both the generalized threat from Iran and the specific threat around the time of the rally. She said there was an adequate security plan. But in spite of the specific and credible threat from Iran, putting the former President and the rally attendees at risk, a 20 year old with a rifle was able to shoot at President Trump from the roof of a building only 140 yards from the President speaking and with a clear line of sight to the President. This was Congressman Turner.

This is why we need answers now in that those covered by the Secret Service aren't going to be hidden in some undisclosed location until the investigation is complete. If the Secret Service is claiming it's good enough that they don't have a roof within 200 yards as in their perimeter, that's an active issue that needs to be addressed now, which this also goes for how they treat threats from nation-state actors. Nation-states might not want to assassinate former Presidents, like taking out Trump for getting a top general of Iran's while he was President doesn't seem proportional, but it certainly looks like a nation-state wouldn't have much trouble taking out any of the former Presidents and potentially many high level officials in government that are covered by the Secret Service.

OMG she just admitted she has not been to the site of the shooting. 9 days later and she hasn't been to the site to view it for herself.

Dang and Mr. Fallon just said well then the shooter has been there 2 more times than you have.

Secret Service Director Kimberly Cheatle said there had not been an agent on the rooftop where a gunman fired shots at former President Donald Trump because the agency 'prefers sterile rooftops.'

'A huge question that every American has is why wasn't a Secret Service agent on the roof and there have been reports that agents were supposed to be on the roof but it was hot that day.
She later admitted the FBI had informed Secret Service that the shooter had flown a drone on the day of the shooting.

When I think of "sterile", I imagine "cleaned", or, "disinfected".
Oh, and "Clorox ".
Just an odd statement, imo.

Wasn't the first excuse regarding the failure to secure or place an agent on the roof that TC was (easily !) able to access ... too steep ?

Embattled Secret Service Director Kimberly Cheatle says she has no plans to resign, even after the stunning revelation that the agency decided not to guard the roof from which Thomas Crooks opened fire on former President Donald Trump because it was
too slanted.
Red emphasis mine.

The photos so far do not seem to show a very steep incline.
Omo.

Also from above NYT link :

“And so, you know, the decision was made to secure the building, from inside,” she told the outlet.

Has it been said --- whose call that decision was ?
I wonder if it was hers or her employee's ?
Not sure yet, as I don't really know -- but wouldn't that have to go to her desk/office before the secret service agents there at the rally made the decision ?
Omo.

If she doesn't have the details, then she chose not to have them. She can't "lie" in this hearing if she doesn't have the info and if she doesn't seek out the info, she can't have it. It's really sad that she can't even provide the basics. She could provide basics without having the full picture. She can provide answers to most of these question without compromising the larger investigation, and she could provide answers without giving away any procedures that need to remain private so it doesn't compromise the SS mission.

Secret Service Director Kimberly Cheatle said there had not been an agent on the rooftop where a gunman fired shots at former President Donald Trump because the agency 'prefers sterile rooftops.'

'A huge question that every American has is why wasn't a Secret Service agent on the roof and there have been reports that agents were supposed to be on the roof but it was hot that day.
She later admitted the FBI had informed Secret Service that the shooter had flown a drone on the day of the shooting.

When I think of "sterile", I imagine "cleaned", or, "disinfected".
Oh, and "Clorox ".
Just an odd statement, imo.

Wasn't the first excuse regarding the failure to secure or place an agent on the roof that TC was (easily !) able to access ... too steep ?

Embattled Secret Service Director Kimberly Cheatle says she has no plans to resign, even after the stunning revelation that the agency decided not to guard the roof from which Thomas Crooks opened fire on former President Donald Trump because it was
too slanted.
Red emphasis mine.

The photos so far do not seem to show a very steep incline.
Omo.

Also from above NYT link :

“And so, you know, the decision was made to secure the building, from inside,” she told the outlet.

Has it been said --- whose call that decision was ?
I wonder if it was hers or her employee's ?
Not sure yet, as I don't really know -- but wouldn't that have to go to her desk/office before the secret service agents there at the rally made the decision ?
Omo.
I think I heard in this hearing that the roof in question, based on it's 1 to 12 slope, is considered ADA compliant for wheelchairs. MOO

How in the world does this woman not know how the shooter accessed the roof and how long he was on the roof? 9 days in and she has no idea how he got on the roof? I really hope she isn't lying under oath. I mean come on, that should be the first thing they could figure out.

Surely they finger printed the roof and all access points? Surely they pulled up the security video at the gas station he parked at to see when he returned and left again. They have his cell phone so surely they have location data that tracks his location at various times.

When did you know about a credible Iran threat?

Why wasn't someone on that roof? Basic question and she needs to answer. imo

That was another ‘oh look over here, we have a pulse on all of Trumps security. We have even been on top of a secret threat from Iran’.

Why say anything about Iran until it
is about Iran?

How in the world does this woman not know how the shooter accessed the roof and how long he was on the roof? 9 days in and she has no idea how he got on the roof? I really hope she isn't lying under oath. I mean come on, that should be the first thing they could figure out.

Surely they finger printed the roof and all access points? Surely they pulled up the security video at the gas station he parked at to see when he returned and left again. They have his cell phone so surely they have location data that tracks his location at various times.

I was wondering about that. I assume they need at least one, preferably two witnesses who actually saw him climb onto the roof or video/photos that show the same. If witnesses, it helps if there are more than one to corroborate what was witnessed. In these situations, high stress,etc. witness memory can be faulty. We've all seen that before.

IANAL, so I'm no expert.

"...Cheatle responded to reports that the suspect was seen and identified as potentially suspicious before he opened fire, saying that "a very short period of time" passed between then and the shooting.

"I don't have all the details yet, but it was a very short period of time," she said. "Seeking that person out, finding them, identifying them, and eventually neutralizing them took place in a very short period of time, and it makes it very difficult. ..."
Red and green bolded by me.

Red bolded : I'd beg to differ.
There was a long enough time that elapsed that TC could have been stopped by any means possible and Corey Comperatore would still be alive.

Green bolded : This article was dated July 16th , so the interview was early in the investigation.
Without knowing all of the eyewitness accounts or speaking to those people (memories can be faulty ?); her job was fairly basic : To ensure the safety of the former president and the rally attendees.

Any rooftops should have been secured, and no way in the world should TC have been able to walk around and scale that building in plain site of the crowd !
At the very least, Trump should have been delayed from stepping onto the stage.

The second quoted paragraph in the link sounds like so much 'word salad'.
I guess it's commendable that according to this article K. Cheatle is taking responsibility ?
Omo

KC said earlier today that the rooftop that TMC fired from was outside the SS security premeiter.

Is she trying to say that the rooftop outside the security premeiter is on another owners property?

Had the rally been outdoors in the downtown area of any major city, there would have been SS or LE agents on the rooftops of tall buildings no matter who owns the buildings or whose property it is on.

I don't buy KC's contention that the rooftop that TMC fired from is outside the SS security premeiter.

This "sloped roof" argument seems odd. The secret service counter snipers behind Trump were on a roof that appears more sloped than the one from which Crooks fired from.

I think a thorough investigation can still take place AND she can answer basic questions about HOW this happened. It does not take witness interviews to explain why that building was not in the perimeter and why a sniper wasn't on that roof. Someone just raised a great point in this hearing that 60 days is too long with this being an election year and the country needs to know that this isn't going to happen again. Of course do the full and complete analysis, but there is no analysis needed to state facts about who decided the perimeter for that event, who decided how many SS were needed, why was SS not part of the morning briefing about the event, why was the perimeter not larger to include those buildings when they were close enough to the protected person and with a direct line of sight to them, and why was Trump allowed to take the stage.

It doesn't matter exactly who was doing what when on the ground and when the gun was put there and where was the ladder, and who's bike, etc etc.. they don't need to comb video evidence and interview everyone at the rally before stating these basic facts. Those facts are what lead to a man being able to have a gun that close to the protected target. When he obtained the gun, what he did that morning, who saw him when, etc doesn't really matter because NONE of that would have had any impact on Trump if the shooter wasn't allowed to be on that roof. If that rooftop was within the protected permitted then he would have no opportunity to get to that vantage point when a weapon of any kind.
I am familiar with internal investigations, and I respectfully disagree that she should be forthcoming on these details at this point. She's under oath before a congressional committee. If she gets anything wrong or allows herself to open lines of inquiry into questions that have not been completely investigated, she gives the politicos another stick to beat her with. If there is any disciplinary action to be taken against SS staff, the employees involved have a right to due process. If anything she says suggests she has reached conclusions prematurely, she screws up the discipline process. She has these and other reasons to be circumspect in these hearings.

All the committee members know this, and they also know most of the public has no clue. They are using her as a political punching bag, to show the public they share our fears and concerns and impatience. They are playing us, in the most cynical way, by suggesting that it's a realistic expectation that the answers we seek should be available today, when they know that is not a realistic expectation.

All MOO, and with great respect for the very real concerns we all have about the safety and security of our public officials.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back