PA - Assassination attempt, shooting injures former POTUS Donald Trump, leaves 1 spectator deceased two in critical condition, 13 July 2024 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
She admitted to daily communication with the Director of the FBI. She admitted she knows how many bullets were fired, the FBI told her. We know how many bullets were fired. But she's going to wait on the investigation to release that information.

Hopefully, she resigns before the hearing tomorrow. No way will she able to keep her job. Congress and the American people have lost confidence in her. NINE days and she has NOT visited the site.
Moo

Hopefully, she resigns before the hearing tomorrow. No way will she able to keep her job. Congress and the American people have lost confidence in her. NINE days and she has NOT visited the site

IMO, if she isn’t fired the only reason would be that Trump is not currently lying in state beneath the Capitol Rotunda.

She would be wise to resign, as you suggest.

A good man is dead and two injured. Even though Trump was only grazed, it’s still a failure of planning.

They are using her as a political punching bag, to show the public they share our fears and concerns and impatience. They are playing us, in the most cynical way, by suggesting that it's a realistic expectation that the answers we seek should be available today, when they know that is not a realistic expectation.
Snipped by me...

Yes, this is what's happening, and it's designed to make the public think they're doing something fruitful--something that will reassure the public that presidents and presidential candidates are being protected.

I don't especially like Cheatle but the one who should be in the line of fire right now are the agents who diverted from standard protocol when it came to addressing the shooter on the roof. IF they diverted from standard protocol, and I can't see how they possibly could have followed it because the shooter had ample time to set up and shoot.

Fire every one of those agents who messed up, but Cheatle? Unless she advocated for a lax response, it's not her fault. I'm not especially into scapegoating.

And, get rid of short agents who are not tall enough to protect the target they're supposed to be protecting. It's not a reflection on their ability, but it's not exactly safe, either.

Right now, there's a lot of table-pounding going on.

And, let's not use this for political points. Those who point out that AR15s are the guns of choice for ne'er-do-wells are correct. They are. But, in this specific case, that's not necessarily a bad thing. If the shooter was using a bolt-action rifle, it's highly unlikely Trump would still be breathing today.

I don't think she will resign because there is little chance she will be fired. She got the job due to friendship with Jill Biden. Neither Mayorkas nor Biden is going to fire her, because that would be essentially an admission that hiring her was wrong. That isn't going to happen. I think she will serve until the Bidens leave in January and then leave on her own.

In Cheatle's 29 years of experience and expertise within the US SS, it's obvious she and her administrative staff have become very, very skilled at deflecting questions, not bullets.

jmo

ETA: She and her administrative staff risked every SS body in that "bunker" they created around/over DJT.

Why did the Secret Service not station an agent on the warehouse roof that the gunman used as a sniper’s perch?
Ms. Cheatle was pressed repeatedly on this point. Her most detailed answer was in response to a question from Committee Chairman James Comer, Republican of Kentucky. Ms. Cheatle seemed to indicate that the Secret Service had left the rooftop unmanned on purpose, because, she said, the agency preferred “sterile” — presumably meaning empty — rooftops. Instead, she said, the warehouse rooftop was to receive “overwatch” — meaning law enforcement officers were supposed to watch that rooftop from another, higher perch.

“There was a plan in place to provide overwatch, and we are still looking into responsibilities, and who was going to provide overwatch,” Ms. Cheatle said.

How many Secret Service agents were assigned to protect President Trump in Butler, Pa.?
Ms. Cheatle declined to answer that question, or to say how many officers from other federal law enforcement agencies were on hand to supplement the Secret Service. “We feel that there was a sufficient number of agents assigned,” she told Mr. Comer.

Who decided that the warehouse roof should be outside the Secret Service’s security perimeter for Mr. Trump’s rally?
“I don’t have a specific person to identify for you,” Ms. Cheatle told Rep. Stephen Lynch, Democrat of Massachusetts.

Later, Rep. Michael Cloud, Republican of Texas, pressed Ms. Cheatle to say whether a Secret Service official had given final approval to the security plan for Mr. Trump’s rally. When Mr. Cloud pressed Ms. Cheatle to identify who had final sign-off, Ms. Cheatle said, “It’s a conjunction of personnel.”

In follow-up questions, she said she would not specify further during the hearing.

Why did the Secret Service allow former President Trump to take the stage, despite people in the crowd pointing out a gunman on the warehouse roof?
“If the detail had been passed information that there was a threat, the detail would never have brought the former president out onto stage,” Ms. Cheatle said.

She said that the Secret Service agents around the president had been aware of a suspicious person, but not a threat. "We are currently still combing through communications, and when communications were passed,” Ms. Cheatle said. She indicated to Rep. Raja Krishnamoorthi, Democrat of Illinois, that the Secret Service had not considered either pausing the rally or removing Mr. Trump from the stage before the shots were fired.

How did Mr. Crooks get his rifle up onto the warehouse roof? Did he leave it there before the rally?
“I do not have that information at this time,” Ms. Cheatle said.
Rep. Andy Biggs, Republican of Arizona, responded with the same frustration as other members of Congress.
“You should have come today ready to give us answers. I call upon you to resign today. Today!” Mr. Biggs told Ms. Cheatle.

What additional security steps did the Secret Service take after the U.S. learned about a potential Iranian plot to kill Mr. Trump
The Iranian threat stemmed from Tehran’s desire to avenge the strike ordered by Mr. Trump in January 2020 that killed Maj. Gen. Qassim Suleimani, the Iranian security and intelligence commander responsible for the killing of American troops in Iraq. Mr. Turner claimed that Christopher A. Wray, the director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, was shocked that the Iranian information was not part of the Security Service threat assessment.

Ms. Cheatle said she thought the security in place at Butler was sufficient to deal with the Iranian threat.

“Is an Iranian assassin more capable than a 20-year-old?” Mr. Turner asked, seemingly sarcastically.

IMO, if she isn’t fired the only reason would be that Trump is not currently lying in state beneath the Capitol Rotunda.

She would be wise to resign, as you suggest.

A good man is dead and two injured. Even though Trump was only grazed, it’s still a failure of planning.
Even the police chief of Uvalde had the common sense to resign when the miserable failure there became evident.

The Trump rally failure was unthinkable.
KC must resign.

jmo

I admit I don't usually follow congressional hearings, etc so I'm curious . . . knowing they have to take time to do a thorough investigation, why was this hearing scheduled before that time? I guess on the flip side if we waited for that, it would be easier to forget since they have a tendency to drag things out.
Everyone wants and deserves answers so I can see both sides. It seems like a huge waste of time and money for a very non productive day. If the objective was to point out the glaringly obvious fact that the SS failed, we already knew that :)
It's productive because there's a bipartisan movement to get KC fired ASAP.
This is where Biden comes in, sooooo ?

Did anyone ask how many times has Cheatle questioned the PA rally SS site supervisor and the agents in charge in the past 9 days?? Obviously, Barney Fife could have done a better job of keeping a shooter off that roof. (loosely paraphrasing Rep. Palmer)

jmo

Was the question asked or answered of who set the perimeter? And does that individual(s) differ from who was supposed to set the perimeter? And what distance was that supposed to be? And if not asked, are the answers to those questions known? Publicly? MOO
In hindsight the security perimeter should have eliminated the possibility of bullets from AR15 style rifles reaching anyone.
IIRC: that's about 600 yds?
This should apply to all outside VP and presidential rallys from now on because the AR15 is the go-to weapon for mass shootings.

Was the question asked or answered of who set the perimeter? And does that individual(s) differ from who was supposed to set the perimeter? And what distance was that supposed to be? And if not asked, are the answers to those questions known? Publicly? MOO

Yes, one of the Committee members asked about the perimeter and the answer about how the perimeter is established was something to the effect that it is up to the SS to determine the perimeter at every event/site. It appears that there is no established policy related to distance, there are various factors taken into consideration by the SS in the field, including distance, but not distance alone. Cheatle would not name the person or persons who made that decison, only saying that the security plans were signed off by whoever was in charge in the SS for the security plan for the rally site. So clearly a failure in establishing the perimeter for that event.

Raskin said both parties were united in their “bafflement” over the stunning operational failures that led to the shooting. He lamented the “extraordinary communications gap” between Cheatle and Congress during the hearing.

“I will be joining the chairman in calling for the resignation of the director just because I think that this relationship is irretrievable at this point,” Raskin said at the hearing’s end. “I think that the director has lost the confidence of Congress at a very urgent and tender moment in the history of the country and we need to very quickly move beyond this.”

In a stunning admission, the embattled director of the U.S. Secret Service said Monday that local authorities observed and photographed the man who shot at former President Trump 18 minutes before he took the stage at a rally in Pennsylvania.

Would KC have to be fired by President Biden? I doubt that will happen because they have a long time relationship since she served on his security team when he was VP. I hope she sees the writing on the wall and resigns promptly.
There should be no such worry.

The president has a very long track record for putting his country and democracy (small d, not the party but the concept) first.

There is no evidence whatsoever that the president would fail to fire anyone who needed to be fired for the good of the country.

That said, I disagree with some comments on this thread that seem to want to take action before all the information is in. It's a process. Fact finding first.

Otherwise, we run the risk of taking an impulsive action, and thinking a problem is solved prematurely.

The investigation is not over. We don't know who should resign or be fired yet. And, if she should, I do hope she stays on long enough to give us clarity into what she did wrong or failed to do right for the benefit of the next incumbent.

MOO

I don't think she will resign because there is little chance she will be fired. She got the job due to friendship with Jill Biden. Neither Mayorkas nor Biden is going to fire her, because that would be essentially an admission that hiring her was wrong. That isn't going to happen. I think she will serve until the Bidens leave in January and then leave on her own.
The Director of Secret Service is subject to impeachment.
The committee is sending a resolution asking for the president to remove her due to lack of confidence. It will be a very bad look, if she is not removed, conspiracy theories could put many in danger.

Moo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back