PA PA - Bedford, 'Mr. Bones' WhtMale 30-35, 585UMPA, 30-06 rifle, gold dental wk, camping equip, Oct'58

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Can someone please turn this in for me. I tried to email. But it came back out of office.

Was that Trooper Aiello? He is probably out for training or otherwise not there. He is pretty good about responding. If you like I will submit the match and cc you. The only things I can think that go against Bratsos being Mr. Bones are size and the fact that the books found with Mr. B seem out of character with what little we know of Jimmy Bratsos.

I have not seen an official ruleout list for Mr.B.

Was that Trooper Aiello? He is probably out for training or otherwise not there. He is pretty good about responding. If you like I will submit the match and cc you. The only things I can think that go against Bratsos being Mr. Bones are size and the fact that the books found with Mr. B seem out of character with what little we know of Jimmy Bratsos.

I have not seen an official ruleout list for Mr.B.

Yes I tried to email him.I emailed him awhile back suggesting Mr Bones might be the boy in the box's father(James Bratsos doesn't really fit for that either.But you never know).He was very nice and emailed me back about that.I do not have a phone to call.Yes can you submit it for me.Thank You.

The Boy in The Box and Mr. Bones both have had DNA taken and presumably put into CODIS. If there had been a match I think we would have heard. Now, if we had TWO UIDs who were related to each other, that would drive one to drink!

Any particular reason for thinking that the cases might be related?

The Boy in The Box and Mr. Bones both have had DNA taken and presumably put into CODIS. If there had been a match I think we would have heard. Now, if we had TWO UIDs who were related to each other, that would drive one to drink!

They apparently cannot match these two.They could only get mtDNA from the little boy in the box.They can only check of who the mother is to the boy in the box.So I guess we won't know if they are related or not somehow untill we find out who Mr bones is.But he might not be related to this little boy at all.It's all very sad.

To me it fits a little bit.They were both unknown.They both apparently were not taken care of real well for a year or two before they died.They were both of European ancestry.I thought this man Mr bones and this little boy were transients,homeless for a little while.I don't know if I feel very strongly they were related.But strong enough to email it in as a match.I usually do not send matches in.

I started thinking since Mr Bones contact lenses were fitted by a Illinois physician he might have actually been from Illinois at one time or originally.I'm still looking.But I did find this guy.I found this guy missing many years before around April 15th 1946. Missing GI just discharged from the Army.Mr Bones age would still fit him.He looks a little like him.The height does not match.But you never know.Was this man ever found?

Earlyn Bonnet

http://news.google.com/newspapers?i...2,1266424&dq=missing+man+earlyn+bonnett&hl=en

http://news.google.com/newspapers?i...4,1469131&dq=missing+man+earlyn+bonnett&hl=en

1. Page 2, Dixon Evening Telegraph, June 22, 1946 ...

newspaperarchive.com/dixon-evening-telegraph/1946-06.../page-2
    ... Veteran's Death is Unknown Galena 111 June 21 iii death by causes un- known WHS returned yesterday by a jury investigating the death oi Earlyn Bonnett 24 ...

You've visited this page 2 times. Last visit: 9/22/12
    All results for "earlyn bonnett" »

Bonnett's body was found in a
slough of the Mississippi river on
June 18 after he had been missing six
months. A pathologist reported
to Coroner Ray Bertsch
he had found two fractures on the
man's skull.

Thank You.I can't see that article.I couldn't find that on google articles.

I'm thinking since a Illinois physician fitted Mr Bones for his contacts that he might have been originally from Illinois.

I'm thinking since a Illinois physician fitted Mr Bones for his contacts that he might have been originally from Illinois.

Very possible that he spent some time there at least. I am trying to follow the Greenwich Village connection because we have two addresses which are very close. Maybe there is a third address as well in that vicinity, but I am still working on that one. Of course he may have never set foot there, and it could all be coincidence. If they would do (or release results of, if they have already done) isotope analysis we'd know waaaaay more about where he grew up and where he lived. Until then it will take someone recognizing his sketch to suggest who he might be. I'm working on getting a major NYC newspaper to run a story on our Mr.Bones, the more eyes that see that sketch the more likely we get a good lead.
When that is done, I'd like to find out who that Dr. was who gave Mr. Bones those contacts. We have only the physical evidence to go on, all else is of the "Colonel Mustard did it in the kitchen with a candlestick" type.
Incidentally, I found a 195 Avenue A in the Forest Hills suburb of Pittsburgh. It's a residential area, anyone want to take this one and try to find out who lived there in 57-58?
Ms. Suzanne, if the LE in charge is in this week I will submit Jimmy Bratsos.

Very possible that he spent some time there at least. I am trying to follow the Greenwich Village connection because we have two addresses which are very close. Maybe there is a third address as well in that vicinity, but I am still working on that one. Of course he may have never set foot there, and it could all be coincidence. If they would do (or release results of, if they have already done) isotope analysis we'd know waaaaay more about where he grew up and where he lived. Until then it will take someone recognizing his sketch to suggest who he might be. I'm working on getting a major NYC newspaper to run a story on our Mr.Bones, the more eyes that see that sketch the more likely we get a good lead.
When that is done, I'd like to find out who that Dr. was who gave Mr. Bones those contacts. We have only the physical evidence to go on, all else is of the "Colonel Mustard did it in the kitchen with a candlestick" type.
Incidentally, I found a 195 Avenue A in the Forest Hills suburb of Pittsburgh. It's a residential area, anyone want to take this one and try to find out who lived there in 57-58?

I spoke at length to the trooper in charge of Mr. Bones today, and also to another source. Nothing the trooper told me was confidential so I will share pertinent info, and how I will go from here. LE in charge is a good person, pretty sharp, who wants to see Mr. Bones identified but has limited time to work on the case. I think we as a group can be of real use here. Now down to brass tacks;
They do have both mitochondrial and nuclear dna from Mr. B. They also have good dentals, and LE feels his dental work was not military.
Someone missed an excellent chance to ID Mr.B many decades ago by not pursuing the lead of the hard contacts further. Apparently not many sets of those were sold, and the records existed at that time as to who got them. Who knows where they are now, or if they indeed exist.
The isotope analysis is pretty expensive to do, several grand, and that is why it is not done more often even when it would be logical to do so, like with the Sumter County Does. Perhaps as the price comes down it will be applied to some of these old cases.
The trooper confirmed that the mess kit was indeed a Kiffe Kook-it.
Ms. Suzanne, LE in charge did call Boston about Jimmy Bratsos. They have no investigation open on him. The more you look into his background and circumstances of his disappearance, you can see why. The only way we will get anywhere with that aspect is to find a relative of Jimmy Bratsos who is interested in comparing dna. I don't think it is him but stranger things have surely happened. As I have said before, Bratsos certainly would have had enough reasons to be camping in the woods with a couple of boxes of ammo. He is a little short but ot extremely so, and heights can be off.
Thanks to Matt Levy in New York for running the story in their blog. Weldon Kees was suggested by a reader right off, but he looks small in pictures and the only estimated height I could find for him was 5'6". He looks to weigh about 160 in pix, and his car was found parked on the Golden Gate Bridge though no body was found. As we know, Mr. Bones was a big guy.

So here's where I am going with this.

1) I can't do any more with the Greenwich Village angle, if in fact there really was one and the proximity of the addresses was not coincidence.
2) I emailed the assignment editor of the USA Today this morning, suggesting that they do a story of Mr.B for Halloween. He never got national exposure, and that sketch (which is only from 2005) and the details of the case might jog somebody's memory.
3) I am going to try to get LE to run familial dna to find cousins of Mr.B. and maybe a likely surname. This is a lot cheaper to do than isotope analysis.
4) I need some relatives of Jimmy Bratsos! Anyone know where to find them? The Doe Network page (I think) said that the source of info was the family. Ms. Suzanne, thanks for this lead!
5) If LE will give me more info on the contact lens manufacturer I will see if records still exist. If I can find the haystack I am willing to go look for the needle.

If someone would take one of these tasks, or has suggestions, I'd be grateful. I'd like to form a team. We will serve as Mr. Bones's next of kin until we can find his real family. And we will.

familial dna to find cousins of Mr.B. and maybe a likely surname. This is a lot cheaper to do than isotope analysis.

Can you please explain to me how these work?I wonder why they can't do all this for the boy in the box too or why they won't do it.

You are doing so well for Mr Bones.

Can you please explain to me how these work?I wonder why they can't do all this for the boy in the box too or why they won't do it.

You are doing so well for Mr Bones.

Well, posting links on here may violate protocol. I will privately give you a link to a company that does it, they explain it far better than I could. The cost is a few hundred rather than a few thousand. You can find distant relatives. The database grows daily, and if we can get him in there some day a match will show up. It is MUCH broader than CODIS, which is great but only shows a match to a few specific groups of people. I hope they can use the existing dna sequence, he has no cheek to swab!

Thanks for the pat on the back. I ain't doing that well yet, we have not found his identity. But you see why I am fairly sure that we will. If we get Mr.B into the right database and are patient, then someone will show up as his relative. We can then ask them if there was someone in their family tree who he could be. Why this is not used more I don't know.

FWIW, many of these labs that do genealogical dna are located in Utah.

I have emailed both USA Today and the Chicago Tribune to see if they would do a story on Mr. Bones. Haven't heard back. There are a few other avenues that I won't get into yet.

Tomorrow morning will be 54 years since they found him. I do think that his identity can be determined, and I believe that we will do so. As JFK said "We do these things not because they are easy but because they are hard."

Whether his death was homicide, suicide, or accidental we may never be able to determine. All three have points favoring and points against. Personally, after thinking about it for a good while, I believe it was an accident. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Well, I have been doing a little on Mr. Bones's case. Another blogger in New York ran a story on him. I am having no luck with the print media but will keep on it.
I contacted the real estate agent in charge of 195 Avenue A in Greenwich Village to find out if there was an Active Locksmith there in the 50's. They don't know, and referred me to a department in the NYC government that has records of businesses. That address also exists in Youngwood PA and in Pittsburgh, and while I am sure that was looked into long ago I will check it out again. I am about 100 percent certain it is not his address but if we could only narrow it down geographically the search could be a lot less difficult.
The last best hope of identifying Mr. Bones would seem to be the DNA and isotope tests.

May I please ask if any one knows this.It says in Namus Anthropologic examinations conducted in 1959 and again in 2003 revealed the victim to have been an adult male of European ancestry, likely between the ages of 30-35 with a living stature of about 6'4" (+/- 2").

Do you know where in Europe they thought he was from(European ancestry)

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cassie1678
Back