GUILTY PA - Carlesha Freeland-Gaither, 22, Germantown, 2 November 2014 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Unlike the biting words Barnes had for NBC12's cameras when he was brought to Virginia, in federal court Wednesday, Barnes, 37, only said “court to appoint counsel,” when asked if he would hire an attorney or wanted one appointed.

Judge Hart said because of the amount of money Barnes makes a month and his outstanding debts, he is eligible for that federal defender.

Defense attorney Nina Spizer was only told of the case ten minutes before she was appointed. Reporters asked if the intense media attention was a concern for Barnes.

“I have no comment on that yet,” Spizer said. “Let's see how fair it is.”

On the other side, the assistant U.S. Attorney prosecuting the case did not stop to talk to the media after the hearing.

"I'm just not going to comment at this time,” Jeanine Linehan said as she walked past the crowd. “This is an ongoing investigation.”

The family of the victim in this case was not at the hearing Wednesday.

Barnes is next expected in court on Friday, when a judge will hear arguments if he should remain in custody throughout his trial.

http://www.nbc12.com/story/27366741/delvin-barnes-appears-in-philadelphia-court

Unlike the biting words Barnes had for NBC12's cameras when he was brought to Virginia, in federal court Wednesday, Barnes, 37, only said “court to appoint counsel,” when asked if he would hire an attorney or wanted one appointed.

Judge Hart said because of the amount of money Barnes makes a month and his outstanding debts, he is eligible for that federal defender.

Defense attorney Nina Spizer was only told of the case ten minutes before she was appointed. Reporters asked if the intense media attention was a concern for Barnes.

“I have no comment on that yet,” Spizer said. “Let's see how fair it is.” BBM

On the other side, the assistant U.S. Attorney prosecuting the case did not stop to talk to the media after the hearing.

"I'm just not going to comment at this time,” Jeanine Linehan said as she walked past the crowd. “This is an ongoing investigation.”

The family of the victim in this case was not at the hearing Wednesday.

Barnes is next expected in court on Friday, when a judge will hear arguments if he should remain in custody throughout his trial.

http://www.nbc12.com/story/27366741/delvin-barnes-appears-in-philadelphia-court

Fair? Fair?!?!?! I'll give her the benefit of the doubt, and assume that, since she was assigned the case ten minutes earlier, she's just running on automatic pilot and saying the things she'd say about any defendant.

Carlesha was a textbook kidnappee - kicking and screaming so someone called the cops, dropping her phone so we knew who'd been abducted, smashing the windows to make the car identifiable and then - bless her - befriending him to minimise harm. She did everything "right" and I'm so glad her efforts were rewarded with being kept alive and set free. Go Carlesha!

You're right, he does look like that composite sketch.

2384725156d5eb37686e97e62601244c.jpg

Apologies for the resolution/pixelation, but I'm on an iPhone, not a PC.

HTH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carlesha was a textbook kidnappee - kicking and screaming so someone called the cops, dropping her phone so we knew who'd been abducted, smashing the windows to make the car identifiable and then - bless her - befriending him to minimise harm. She did everything "right" and I'm so glad her efforts were rewarded with being kept alive and set free. Go Carlesha!

Don't forget she also gave him her bank PIN in hopes he'd use her card (at least, that's what I heard). She was amazing, brave and very, very smart. That's not always enough, but in her case, it worked.

Regarding the composite sketch discussion above -- wasn't Barnes in prison when the DC attack happened (2010)?

Regarding the composite sketch discussion above -- wasn't Barnes in prison when the DC attack happened (2010)?

I have not seen anything to say he was locked up in april of 2010. if you do please post it.

I have not seen anything to say he was locked up in april of 2010. if you do please post it.

Everything this amazing, heroic, strong, smart young woman, Ms. Carlesha Freeland-Gaither did, from the moment she zigzagged upon noticing him, walking to a well lit corner, to putting out her hand, fighting him off, dropping to the ground, everything that followed, every time I remember it or read about it, just puts me in awe of her. What a great lady. May she heal with time, may she live a joyful and strong life, I hope and pray.

A 2005 rape case in Philadelphia is Barnes' most serious offense before his most recent brush with the law. Barnes was found guilty of six charges including aggravated assault and false imprisonment.

The details of the crimes in November of that year are disturbing to imagine. According to court records, Barnes' estranged wife told police even though she had a protective order against him, he surprised her in her home, beat her and forced her to have sex. The documents say she only got free by tricking Barnes into letting her make a phone call.

(Sorry -- I've only been posting on Websleuths for a few weeks, so I'm not sure how to do the fancy quotations and links. But here is one of several articles that said Barnes was in prison from 2005-2013 for crimes against his wife or ex-wife, I don't remember which, in 2005)

"Representatives from the Pennsylvania Board of Probation and Parole say for those crimes Barnes served eight years, which is every single day of the term the court sentenced him to. He was not granted parole. Barnes was released on November 30, 2013."

Read more: http://www.wnem.com/story/27319566/...ory-prior-to-alleged-abductions#ixzz3JllzRPtt

The parts of my reply got a bit jumbled--but in essence the first two paragraphs (above my parenthetical comment) as well as the part below my comment, in quotation marks, are direct quotations from the article that is linked in my reply. Hope that helps with establishing that he was in prison in 2010.

The parts of my reply got a bit jumbled--but in essence the first two paragraphs (above my parenthetical comment) as well as the part below my comment, in quotation marks, are direct quotations from the article that is linked in my reply. Hope that helps with establishing that he was in prison in 2010.

It did and thank you !!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
upstairsmeow
Back