PA PA - Cherrie Mahan, 8, Cabot, 22 Feb 1985

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Cold Justice is seeking cases again. They must have gotten the green light for another season.
If nobody has watched, a podcaster named Payne Lindsey has a television show on the Oxygen network called “Up and Vanished”. It’s tough to watch because it really exposes the underbelly of these famous unsolved cases and how they aren’t always so unsolved. I’m watching now and pretty creeped out. He essentially solved the Tara Grinstead case.

Anyway, it’s been a while. Does anybody have any ideas on how to get the case some attention?

Contact — PAYNE LINDSEY

Cold Justice Tip Line

Is her name said "cherry" like the fruit, or it is a "you-neek" spelling of Cherie?

Her mom pronounced it like the fruit on the news, I believe.

Hopefully her mom will see Cherrie again in Heaven one day.

I just don't think Cherrie's bio-father had her kidnapped/killed. Men who want revenge against their ex-wives and partners by murdering the child(ren) usually do it in a much more public and brutal fashion than having the child bundled into a windowless van and never seen again. These type of men would leave the remains of the child(ren) in a visible place to be found in a way that haunts and traumatises the woman.

I just don't think Cherrie's bio-father had her kidnapped/killed. Men who want revenge against their ex-wives and partners by murdering the child(ren) usually do it in a much more public and brutal fashion than having the child bundled into a windowless van and never seen again. These type of men would leave the remains of the child(ren) in a visible place to be found in a way that haunts and traumatises the woman.
Quite ludicrous IMO.

BBM

Cherrie's bio-father wasn't an ex. From an article dated 2/18/2020

To understand the depth of this mother’s despair you need to know this: “I got raped and had Cherrie when I was 16 years old and she was ‘IT’ for me. Everything! I never left that house without her, we were always together, we grew up together, she was my life.”

Janice believes there is a connection between her rape, Cherrie’s birth, and eight years later her disappearance “I do, I believe that but I can’t prove anything,” she says.

Janice McKinney says authorities did not believe her rape allegation and Cherrie’s biological father was never charged.

But she does not believe he was involved in her disappearance? “Not him personally but the people that he knows yes.”

Police are aware of McKinney’s suspicions and have told her the man is adamant in his denials. The only thing Trp. Long will say about suspects: “Anybody that was implicated, until we find evidence otherwise, they still would be considered a suspect.”

'It's A Torment': Cherrie Mahan's Mother Still Searching 35 Years After She Disappeared From Butler Co.

But the motive might not have been revenge; it might have avoidance of child support.

But the motive might not have been revenge; it might have avoidance of child support.
There has never been a child support case filed ever. It was 8-9 years after the fact. Also, the whole thing seems rather implausible. Isn’t is far more likely that it was just a random crime of opportunity, which is also why it’s so hard to solve?

There has never been a child support case filed ever. It was 8-9 years after the fact. Also, the whole thing seems rather implausible. Isn’t is far more likely that it was just a random crime of opportunity, which is also why it’s so hard to solve?
It very well may have been a random crime of opportunity, but the biological father shouldn't be ruled out.

Cherrie's mothers scenario about the bio father is as valid as any other. It is bad practice in investigations to dismiss any theory out-of-hand because it does not seem probable. Often enough it's the improbable theory that breaks the case. "Police are aware of McKinney’s suspicions and have told her the man is adamant in his denials." Adamant in is denials is not the same thing as innocent. Serial Killers, Rapists and Pedophiles are adamant in their denials too. Appears to me that there is not enough evidence for LE to expend resources to go digging into the bio fathers activities.

I have been listening to podcasts of the missing lately. I tagged Janice on Cherrie's missing FB page (she is a member) to see if she ever thought of doing a podcast about Cherrie's disappearance. So far, she hasn't responded, but maybe her telling the story in more detail, might draw people that know something to open up, or to get fresh eyes on the case.

Thank you for the amazing recommendation!

Cherrie's case reminds me so much of two that we have covered. First, it reminds me of 10-yr-old Linda Weldy from LaPorte, IN who stepped off the school bus in 1987 and seemingly disappeared into thin air. Her body was recovered more than 5 miles from her home several months later and it remains unsolved. Also, it reminds me of 5 yr-old Lauren Maria Pico Jackson's case who disappeared from Spring City, PA in 1988 and has yet to be found.

I will look into Cherrie's case and see about covering it on the podcast.

Thank you for the amazing recommendation!

Cherrie's case reminds me so much of two that we have covered. First, it reminds me of 10-yr-old Linda Weldy from LaPorte, IN who stepped off the school bus in 1987 and seemingly disappeared into thin air. Her body was recovered more than 5 miles from her home several months later and it remains unsolved. Also, it reminds me of 5 yr-old Lauren Maria Pico Jackson's case who disappeared from Spring City, PA in 1988 and has yet to be found.

I will look into Cherrie's case and see about covering it on the podcast.

If you read this thread from start to finish, it’s really fascinating how many avenues and possibilities you could explore.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back