Identified! PA - Chester Co., WhtMale 1280UMPA, 20-30, Nov'68 - Robert Corriveau

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I just spoke with Trooper Callithen.

He indicated that he was on to this probable match already. But he was surprised to have received a reply so fast, and we spoke about it for a few minutes.

He explained that in October of last year, he was contacted by NCIS regarding the possible match. NCIS had sent a letter to the USMC asking if they had any record of deserters from that time period. They came back with Corriveau's name, and said that he fit the description to a tee - including the exact date of last contact, the tattoos and the healed bullet wound.

Prior to this, they had just exhumed the body and obtained a DNA profile. And when they received the tip from the NCIS, Trooper Callithen located Corriveau's sister in New Hampshire and obtained a buccal swab from her. Needless to say that she was quite surprised to have this news so many years after his disappearance.

The DNA sample from the sister was sent to UNT, and Corriveau was added into NamUs because UNT requires a MP casefile in order to proceed with the analysis and comparison to the sister's DNA.

BTW, they had never received a fingerprint hit because many of the fingerprint records from back then were destroyed in a fire in St. Louis.

Wow! The match is so strong right down the those expressive eyes.

Could this also change Corriveau's status? He has been listed as AWOL all these years but he was had been away from the hospital roughly three hours before he was found murdered. There's no information on why he left the hospital, so who's to say he wasn't planning on leaving at all and was abducted from just outside (a smoke break, possibly, or some fresh air?) and killed instead?

Prayers are going out to Corriveau's family.

what a handsome man. great job carl!

This was not my find. Corriveau was already brought to LE's attention with regard to this John Doe before his MP casefile was added to NamUs. I was just the first to notice when the NamUs casefile came online.

When I saw the new casefile and saw a 1960's vintage military photo and saw that he was missing from Pennsylvania It took about a half-second to realize that he could be the Downington John Doe. I went straight to the Physical Characteristics and saw the tattoo descriptions, and realized that this was definitely the same guy. And the DLC being the exact same date that the body was found confirmed it even more.

It was midnight, and I was about to go to bed, but I stayed up and spent a couple more hours posting here, and putting together an e-mail to Trooper Callithen.

amazing news. i love it when matches are made on old cases.

also reminds me that we need to not put too much emphasis on height difference when its a matter of inches. i also noticed that the time was so narrow (when he was LKA and when UID was found) that it might have precluded a match...

just good things to keep in mind...thanks so much for relaying the info on this carlk. truly a wonderful day for Corriveau's surviving family members. and hopefully, as tatertot suggested, the USMC will change his status to honor his service.

Finally, I am so happy! I have been looking for a match for this young man for a long time. I figured someday a match would be added to NamUs. Good eye Carl!

I'm glad that he got match by descriptions between RDC & Downingtown UID. Being UID for 43 yrs, 2 months is too long time but his surviving sister & relatives will finally get closure sooner after they will confirm the UID as RDC.

Thank you RDC for served America during the Vietnam war. I suspected that his USMC buddy/buddies took him sneakily from the hospital for short ride, got him killed, carry his body miles away to the roadside grass & left him visible view for discovery from the road drivers. He didn't deserve to die that way.

This has been a case that I have been interested in for some time.

18 November 1968 was a Monday. It is likely that Robert had been away from the hospital on liberty for the weekend and was murdered when returning to Philadelphia. He was probably first noticed missing at Monday morning roll call.

Actually, the fire in St. Louis only affected Army and some Air Force Records. Marine and Navy records are still intact. The reason that no fingerprints were on file is that back then, only Officers were fingerprinted, not enlisted men - unless they were being considered for a high security classification.

I do not have specific information on this Marine's status, but USUALLY a person who is AWOL is considered a Deserter after a period of time. Back then, that was probably 30 to 60 days after he went missing.

Unfortunately, this would mean that all pay and allowances would end, and the family would not receive any USGI insurance payments. Hopefully this match will correct the record and Robert can be buried with full military honors.

--------------------------
Robert Daniel Corriveau age 20, USMC, Missing 18 Nov 1968 from Phila. PA

Case Information:

Status Missing
First name Robert
Middle name Daniel
Last name Corriveau
Nickname/Alias Bobby Dan
Date LKA November 18, 1968 07:50
Date entered 01/19/2012
Age LKA 20 to 20 years old
Age now 64 years old
Race White
Ethnicity
Sex Male
Height (inches) 68.0
Weight (pounds) 150.0 to 165.0

Circumstances
City Philadelphia
State Pennsylvania
Zip code 19145
County Philadelphia
Circumstances Robert Corriveau was enlisted in the U.S. Marines and receiving treatment at the U.S. Naval Hospital in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Corriveau went missing from the hospital on 11/18/68 and reported as AWOL by the U.S. Marines.

Source:

NamUs - National Missing Persons Data System - Robert Corriveau - MP # 13664

I just spoke with Trooper Callithen.

He indicated that he was on to this probable match already. But he was surprised to have received a reply so fast, and we spoke about it for a few minutes.

He explained that in October of last year, he was contacted by NCIS regarding the possible match. NCIS had sent a letter to the USMC asking if they had any record of deserters from that time period. They came back with Corriveau's name, and said that he fit the description to a tee - including the exact date of last contact, the tattoos and the healed bullet wound.

Prior to this, they had just exhumed the body and obtained a DNA profile. And when they received the tip from the NCIS, Trooper Callithen located Corriveau's sister in New Hampshire and obtained a buccal swab from her. Needless to say that she was quite surprised to have this news so many years after his disappearance.

The DNA sample from the sister was sent to UNT, and Corriveau was added into NamUs because UNT requires a MP casefile in order to proceed with the analysis and comparison to the sister's DNA.

BTW, they had never received a fingerprint hit because many of the fingerprint records from back then were destroyed in a fire in St. Louis.

No doubt this is the same guy. What a handsome young man and am glad answers will be official soon. Though, the side by sides are good enough for me. I have no doubt this is Robert.

BBM. I have mixed feelings about the timing of this "match". I'm bewildered about why the records for USMC deserters weren't requested shortly after this UID was found. DNA wasn't the standard or needed for an official ID in the late 60's. The descriptions match so well clearly an official id could have been made according to the 1960's standards. 40+ years for this to happen, just leaves me asking why so long, even though I am ecstatic he is finally going home and his family has answers. I can't help feeling saddened it took over 4 decades.

Sleep Peacefully Bobby Dan. You are almost home.

:praying:

I just spoke with Trooper Callithen. ...

... He explained that in October of last year, he was contacted by NCIS regarding the possible match. NCIS had sent a letter to the USMC asking if they had any record of deserters from that time period. They came back with Corriveau's name, and said that he fit the description to a tee - including the exact date of last contact, the tattoos and the healed bullet wound. ...

Trooper Callithen is fairly new to this case. Shortly after I started this thread, I spoke with Corporal Patrick Quigley, who was then the case officer. At that time, we discussed the case and some of the possible avenues of inquiry, including the Naval Criminal Investigative Service (NCIS) and the Marine Corps Headquarters.

The October call from NCIS was probably in response to earlier contact initiated by Corporal Quigley. However it came about, there was obviously a file of information available on Robert Corriveau, and it now looks like they have a pretty solid lead and hopefully a positive match.

The next step (after a positive ID) will be to try and solve Robert's murder. That may be a more difficult task.

Hopefully, there is more information in the files concerning any investigations that were done in 1968 and perhaps lists of persons who knew Robert or worked with him. Anything which might provide a lead to these investigators.

Although it has taken over 43 years to identify this young Marine, the questions have been asked, and the answers are coming. Robert will finally be going home.

Trooper Callithen is fairly new to this case. Shortly after I started this thread, I spoke with Corporal Patrick Quigley, who was then the case officer. At that time, we discussed the case and some of the possible avenues of inquiry, including the Naval Criminal Investigative Service (NCIS) and the Marine Corps Headquarters.

The October call from NCIS was probably in response to earlier contact initiated by Corporal Quigley. However it came about, there was obviously a file of information available on Robert Corriveau, and it now looks like they have a pretty solid lead and hopefully a positive match.

The next step (after a positive ID) will be to try and solve Robert's murder. That may be a more difficult task.

Hopefully, there is more information in the files concerning any investigations that were done in 1968 and perhaps lists of persons who knew Robert or worked with him. Anything which might provide a lead to these investigators.

Although it has taken over 43 years to identify this young Marine, the questions have been asked, and the answers are coming. Robert will finally be going home.

BBM. I found myself thinking the same thing. After re-reading this entire thread this morning and seeing the COD, I want so badly for this murder to be solved. I hope by knowing who this is it will open many more doors for LE to solve the murder.

I just spoke with Trooper Callithen. ...

... He explained that in October of last year, he was contacted by NCIS regarding the possible match. NCIS had sent a letter to the USMC asking if they had any record of deserters from that time period. They came back with Corriveau's name, and said that he fit the description to a tee - including the exact date of last contact, the tattoos and the healed bullet wound. ...

As Trooper Callithen explained it, they had sent a letter to NCIS, but the NCIS set it aside without looking into it. At some point, someone at NCIS saw the letter lying around and decided to look into it. They Contacted the USMC and asked if there were any deserters from that timeframe who fit the description, and it didn't take long for the USMC to find Corriveau's name.

This probable match has really restored my faith in continued investigation into old, cold cases. What a handsome young man, I hope this gives his family some peace.

As Trooper Callithen explained it, they had sent a letter to NCIS, but the NCIS set it aside without looking into it. At some point, someone at NCIS saw the letter lying around and decided to look into it. They Contacted the USMC and asked if there were any deserters from that timeframe who fit the description, and it didn't take long for the USMC to find Corriveau's name.

Perhaps the letter was waiting for the right person to pick it up. Strange how things sometimes work out.

I believe that the Marine Corps will see to it that this Marine gets full honors. After all, he was a wounded Viet Nam veteran and still on active duty when he was murdered.

Knowing what Robert's interests were and who his friends and acquaintances were might provide clues as to where he was the weekend of 16-18 November, and possibly who he may have been with or who he may have encountered.

Philadelphia Naval Hospital History

Philadelphia Naval Hospital
1701 Pattison Ave
Philadelphia, PA

In 1935, the Naval Hospital at Philadelphia was removed from the navy yard. Limited space at the yard and the proposed development of an airfield on the land occupied by the hospital had made it imperative that new quarters be found. The Bureau of Yards and Docks acquired an undeveloped piece of land, a mile and a half northwest of the yard, and on it erected the Navy's first multi-storied hospital. The main building had a central tower, thirteen stories high, flanked by four wings of four and five stories.

During World War II, in late 1942, the Philadelphia Naval hospital received an allotment for four and one-half H-type buildings, one-story high, of wood-frame construction.

The Philadelphia Naval Hospital served as a fully operational hospital throughout World War II, the Korean War, the Viet Nam War, and Desert Storm, treating military personnel and their families. Several Navy Hospital and Medical schools existed there, training Doctors, Nurses, and Hospital Corpsmen in various subjects.
On 30 September, 1991, it was disestablished as a fully functional hospital in accordance with Base REalignment and Closure legislation of 1988.

A Navy branch medical clinic occupied a portion of the hospital compound until September 1993, when the clinic moved to the Naval Station Philadelphia and the hospital facility was closed permanently.

On 9 June 2001, the buildings of the hospital were demolished. See photos of the demolition at the link below:

Philadelphia Memories: The Philadelphia Naval Hospital

http://phillymemories.blogspot.com/2006/04/philadelphia-naval-hospital.html

Description and Location:
49 acres. SE Philadelphia, approximately 10 minutes from Philadelphia International Airport. North of Naval Base Philadelphia, separate from base. Located in Philadelphia County.

Directions to former site of Philadelphia Naval Hospital:
I-95 or I-76, Broadstreet Exit, North to Pattison Ave, left on Pattison, hospital is on the right.

Sources:

Building the Navy's Bases in World War II: History of the Bureau of Yards and Docks and the Civil Engineer Corps 1940-1946.

Directory of US Military Bases Worldwide by William R. Evinger (1995)

Old Hospital Records...

If this unknown man does prove to be Corporal Corriveau, the next step for investigators will be to try to determine who killed him.

Although the Philadelphia Naval Hospital is now gone, records would probably still exist in the National Archives and the Navy Historical Center. Patient and Staff rosters might yield names of persons to contact regarding this 43 year old case.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Neilyboy13
Back