Found Deceased PA - Dakota James, 23, Pittsburgh, 25 Jan 2017 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree. Just some thoughts -- news agencies are repeatedly pointing out that he's gay, but fail to discuss what it means for the case. As a gay man, I think I can provide a little more insight into the impacts it might have on the case. If he was out with a friend, whether he was inebriated or not, but was later seen alone attached to his phone at night, it makes me think he was looking to meet up with someone on Grindr. The hook-up culture disguises the utter creepiness of the men on apps like that. If you're insinuating that he was removed, it could just be someone picked him up from an off-camera location for a Grindr hook-up. His texting on the footage can easily be talking on Grindr or with his hook-up on a different app like Kik. I've been around the gay-app block so many times. It's upsetting that they keep discussing his sexuality in the head/taglines yet fail to mention the danger of using apps like those.

YES! YES! YES!

It is an injustice to leave the Grindr or kik connection silent, if it is there. EVERYONE needs to know. It could save another life.

I am so very sad that someone killed Dakota and took him from this world. I am so very sorry for the devastated family left behind. Their lives are gone and they have to start new ones without him and it is horrifying to do. I don't want this killer to remain free to do this again because people are being politically correct but in all the wrong ways. A secret rendezvous for sex with a stranger is ALWAYS dangerous, no matter who you are, but if there is a gay hook-up app connection, this information should be getting shouted from the roof tops.

To be honest, the steps from the bridge down to the river aren't the best. They are steep, narrow stair treads (can't think of the word), and wonky in parts. It's not easy going down them during the day when sober. I couldn't even imagine at night when slightly drunk. Honestly, it wouldn't seem so far fetched if he was walking down them on the inside part, lost his balance either going around the turn or after starting down the second part, stumbled over to the left side and fell over. If that were to happen, there'd even be a chance of hitting his head on concrete before entering the water.

Especially if someone pushed him.

Please forgive my ignorance but it was my understanding that the father would not share what was written in the text message. Am I wrong? Has the message been revealed?

As far as I know the exact message has not been released. But a family member did state that the father received what they believed to be a jumbled "butt text."

There is absolutely no evidence that someone murdered this young man. None.

Throughout this thread there has been mention of, parahrasing, "so many college-aged men in Pittsburgh end up in the river" and "Smiley Face Killer" or "serial killer" or "<insert social app name here> meet-up gone wrong" and yet, no one as of yet has provided a list of names who ended up in a Pittsburgh river that coincide with the claims and presented explicit evidence to support the suggestions.

Who are these mysterious killers who seem to evade surveillance cameras, eyewitnesses and leave behind no evidence or clues?

A most recent case similar to DJ's is that of Paul Kochu. PK had been out with friends drinking, to the degree where emotions (as per roommates) set in later in the evening. PK left his friends in the bar and returned home. He later injured his hand on a broken glass and contacted his friends at the bar asking for assistance. The friends arrived to home and that is when they experienced PK was "emotional". The friends then left and returned to the bar. Sometime afterward, PK took his keys and wallet and left the house. He was reported as "missing". PK is later seen on surveillance video walking haphazardly toward the general direction of the 10th Street Bridge, which crosses the Monongahela River. PK's father believed that Paul may have been heading toward Duquesne University to see his cousin (who was living in the dormitories there). Based on the direction he was seen traveling in the video, his father also suggested that he may have been heading toward UPMC Mercy Hospital (also in the same direction, one block east of DU). To get to DU or UMPC, PK would have had to have crossed the 10th Street Bridge (crosses the Monongahela River). The Three Rivers Heritage Trail also runs under that bridge along the river. Three months later his body was found in the Ohio River in WV. COD: drowning. No evidence of foul play was found. It was never suggested nor any evidence found that would indicate that PK had used a "social app" the evening he went missing.
attachment.php

Occam's Razor: in essence, the simplest or most obvious explanation is the most likely scenario.

Both men had been drinking, to a degree where it presented a problem for them: PK was emotional and was seen on video staggering. DJ had been refused further drinks and exhibited behavior ("ate someone else's pizza", assumed implication he wasn't invited to do so or the behavior was unexpected, why else mention it) after having bar-hopped throughout the evening.

Both men were walking in the direction of a bridge. Both men were inebriated (with all due respect to DJ's mother, when a bartender refuses to serve a drink the customer is likely exhibiting behavior that would suggest the person should not have more alcohol).

Regarding surveillance video of DJ: we do not *know without doubt* that LE does not have in their possession video of DJ approaching, near or on the bridge. LE has claimed the last image of DJ they have shows him on Scott Place. Mayor Peduto stated, "it ends at that bridge", regarding where DJ is last seen.

DJ's body was found, with his wallet, some cash and his phone still in his pockets. We can safely assume to rule out a robbery attempt.

After a prolonged evening of drinking, it would not be unusual to assume DJ could want to walk to the river's edge and relieve himself. DJ's brother believes otherwise. Well, DJ had been living in Pittsburgh since August 2015. That's a long enough time living in an away-from-home environment to pick up routines and habits that might be different than what would be considered as "typical" by family or friends 'back home'.

I am not ruling out foul play at this point, but to date nothing has been reported that would suggest it.

Attachments

• pk.jpg
    pk.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 281
Throughout this thread there has been mention of, parahrasing, "so many college-aged men in Pittsburgh end up in the river" and "Smiley Face Killer" or "serial killer" or " meet-up gone wrong" and yet, no one as of yet has provided a list of names who ended up in a Pittsburgh river that coincide with the claims and presented explicit evidence to support the suggestions.

Who are these mysterious killers who seem to evade surveillance cameras, eyewitnesses and leave behind no evidence or clues?

A most recent case similar to DJ's is that of Paul Kochu. PK had been out with friends drinking, to the degree where emotions (as per roommates) set in later in the evening. PK left his friends in the bar and returned home. He later injured his hand on a broken glass and contacted his friends at the bar asking for assistance. The friends arrived to home and that is when they experienced PK was "emotional". The friends then left and returned to the bar. Sometime afterward, PK took his keys and wallet and left the house. He was reported as "missing". PK is later seen on surveillance video walking haphazardly toward the general direction of the 10th Street Bridge, which crosses the Monongahela River. PK's father believed that Paul may have been heading toward Duquesne University to see his cousin (who was living in the dormitories there). Based on the direction he was seen traveling in the video, his father also suggested that he may have been heading toward UPMC Mercy Hospital (also in the same direction, one block east of DU). To get to DU or UMPC, PK would have had to have crossed the 10th Street Bridge (crosses the Monongahela River). The Three Rivers Heritage Trail also runs under that bridge along the river. Three months later his body was found in the Ohio River in WV. COD: drowning. No evidence of foul play was found. It was never suggested nor any evidence found that would indicate that PK had used a "social app" the evening he went missing.
attachment.php

Occam's Razor: in essence, the simplest or most obvious explanation is the most likely scenario.

Both men had been drinking, to a degree where it presented a problem for them: PK was emotional and was seen on video staggering. DJ had been refused further drinks and exhibited behavior ("ate someone else's pizza", assumed implication he wasn't invited to do so or the behavior was unexpected, why else mention it) after having bar-hopped throughout the evening.

Both men were walking in the direction of a bridge. Both men were inebriated (with all due respect to DJ's mother, when a bartender refuses to serve a drink the customer is likely exhibiting behavior that would suggest the person should not have more alcohol).

Regarding surveillance video of DJ: we do not *know without doubt* that LE does not have in their possession video of DJ approaching, near or on the bridge. LE has claimed the last image of DJ they have shows him on Scott Place. Mayor Peduto stated, "it ends at that bridge", regarding where DJ is last seen.

DJ's body was found, with his wallet, some cash and his phone still in his pockets. We can safely assume to rule out a robbery attempt.

After a prolonged evening of drinking, it would not be unusual to assume DJ could want to walk to the river's edge and relieve himself. DJ's brother believes otherwise. Well, DJ had been living in Pittsburgh since August 2015. That's a long enough time living in an away-from-home environment to pick up routines and habits that might be different than what would be considered as "typical" by family or friends 'back home'.

I am not ruling out foul play at this point, but to date nothing has been reported that would suggest it.

I totally agree. You have hit on pretty much everything I think about this case.

I see a lot of people accusing Grindr of being uncooperative and not releasing app evidence to the police but we have no evidence that he was even on that app, or any other. Why would they give any information up without a warrant? I wouldn't. If you can prove he was on Grindr (or Facebook, snap chat, twitter, etc.) close to his disappearance I would 100% be behind the call for them to release any information about his activity on these apps. But Le can't go on a fishing expedition.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I totally agree with this. I live in Florida, and have for over 30 years. This state is "party central", as a lot of young people come here on whatever breaks they have. We have water aplenty, and a ton of docks, piers, etc., both on the river and the ocean. I have never heard of a young man going missing, and later being found, after having fallen in a body of water. I have been out on piers very early in the morning, and seen some very, very drunk people out there, and I have never heard of anyone falling in. These seen to be happening in only certain areas, and it is true, there are plenty of areas with a ton of water, and yet, this doesn't seem to be happening in those places. And, there are certainly a lot of drunk young people around. Think of Key West, where everyone goes to Mallory Square for the sunset. You are literally right on the Ocean, and many people are drinking or very drunk, I have never heard of this happening there. Something very strange is going on with these young men, and I wonder why LE is not taking a closer, very intense look at this. Thanks, everyone. Prayers for his family, loved ones and friends. Katt

I totally agree with this. I live in Florida, and have for over 30 years. This state is "party central", as a lot of young people come here on whatever breaks they have. We have water aplenty, and a ton of docks, piers, etc., both on the river and the ocean. I have never heard of a young man going missing, and later being found, after having fallen in a body of water. I have been out on piers very early in the morning, and seen some very, very drunk people out there, and I have never heard of anyone falling in. These seen to be happening in only certain areas, and it is true, there are plenty of areas with a ton of water, and yet, this doesn't seem to be happening in those places. And, there are certainly a lot of drunk young people around. Think of Key West, where everyone goes to Mallory Square for the sunset. You are literally right on the Ocean, and many people are drinking or very drunk, I have never heard of this happening there. Something very strange is going on with these young men, and I wonder why LE is not taking a closer, very intense look at this. Thanks, everyone. Prayers for his family, loved ones and friends. Katt

Maybe it is the fact that in the south, if someone would fall, in the water temperatures are much warmer...

If you would notice most of these river deaths are occurring here in the winter months...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome post/ I am FL also and I do no get how LE does not see MO in some of these.

I totally agree. You have hit on pretty much everything I think about this case.

I see a lot of people accusing Grindr of being uncooperative and not releasing app evidence to the police but we have no evidence that he was even on that app, or any other. Why would they give any information up without a warrant? I wouldn't. If you can prove he was on Grindr (or Facebook, snap chat, twitter, etc.) close to his disappearance I would 100% be behind the call for them to release any information about his activity on these apps. But Le can't go on a fishing expedition.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How would they know unless Grindr cooperated? IMO Grindr came into the story cause people who knew him knew he was active on a dating site.

I know my neighbor is active on Grindr. It is just something that acquaintances know.

He did not text his father. He is clearly texting someone. It just makes sense to me drunk horney early in the evening.

Again respectfully I must ask, whenever a female is missing sex is the first thing and often correct. Age drinking and cruising makes sense. Why not in some of these?

Throughout this thread there has been mention of, parahrasing, "so many college-aged men in Pittsburgh end up in the river" and "Smiley Face Killer" or "serial killer" or "<insert social app name here> meet-up gone wrong" and yet, no one as of yet has provided a list of names who ended up in a Pittsburgh river that coincide with the claims and presented explicit evidence to support the suggestions.

attachment.php

Joey ....................no water in his lungs

Take a look at the numerous cases in Pittsburgh.... ALSO, to the "cuteparamedic" doing the timeline, a body was pulled from the river near the jail within the last 8-12 months and they NEVER released details!!

As far as I know the exact message has not been released. But a family member did state that the father received what they believed to be a jumbled "butt text."

mom has adamantly stated that he was not texting her husband.

That said, I do not believe the authorities will put much effort in answers. This will be treated like all the other folks found in the river. Sad

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Concur some of it is probably money/staffing

That would show up in the autopsy also. Hopefully they release those details soon.

But how come in so many of these there is no injury whatsoever? Falling off a bridge, drunk, I would assume would end (at least in some cases) with some autopsy info - bruising, confusion etc.

So many of these are zero injuries to a body. A lot of them are supposedly falling from a height. How do all these folks end up with no "obvious" signs of injury?

Maybe it is the fact that in the south, if someone would fall, in the water temperatures are much warmer...

If you would notice most of these river deaths are occurring here in the winter months...

What difference does water temperature make unless you are referring to the body resurfacing? It does take longer for a body to resurface in cold water than in warm water. But falling in is falling in. Unless th
The question is whether or not DJ fell in the water by his own accord.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Maybe the sexual preference doesn't matter. Maybe it's just that they are early-mid twenties, male, college students, etc. It's possible that the "victims" are not even vetted and sexual preference isn't even known.

All speculation and moo of course.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Or homophobia, if you look at a lot of them they are not butch (for lack of a better word).

They are groomed etc. Some of them could be a homophobe who "thinks" they are gay??

We have not had (stereotype warning !) a 6 foot lumberjack falling to their deaths.

just a notion

This is just my twisted idea, it is in NO way true. I'm sharing it because sometimes we have to think outside the box to find the answers.

I think someone hooked up with him, most likely via Grinder, and slipped him (or he willingly indulged) something like GHB. GHB dosage is a slippery slope. One moment you can feel complete euphoria with the threshold into unconsciousness and death just an unknown amount away. Mixing GHB with alcohol can easily lead to respiratory distress.
Why would someone do that you may ask? What's the motive in that? My answer is I do not know for certain. I guess that depends on whether it was intentional or accidental.
Maybe his hookup, in my theory, didn't realize mixing ghb and alcohol could be lethal and was shocked when his date was suddenly dead. Instead of calling for help, due to being embarrassed of the situation, decided to take care of it himself and dump the body in the river. Maybe it was more sinister than that and was a thrill kill or sexually arousing.
If anyone here wants to go down a rabbit hole I suggest you google 'chemsex'. It's definitely a thing and it is prevalent on Grindr and within the gay community. The subject isn't for the faint of heart, it's very explicit and *advertiser censored*.
Please know that I am NOT suggesting Dakota willingly participated in this or that this story is even remotely true regarding his case. I am merely suggesting, if you are willing to look into the subject, you may discover a new way of seeing this case other than another drunk kid stumbled to the rivers edge to pee and fell in.
Another thing to note, GHB is not detectable on a toxo screen and is a naturally occurring amino acid. You could easily render someone unconscious with ghb and murder them by tossing them into a river while still breathing, making it appear they drown.
I live here in Pittsburgh and these cases of young men drowning has frightened and intrigued me. I don't buy that they were all accidental and suspect something sinister is at play. I believe the truth can be found. It just may take some crazy, twisted thinking to find it.

There thanx you - I am not saying murder neccasarily I have been saying a gay app IMO is a big link to some of these

Especially after learning that yes guys (all the time apprently) do go with men without meeting in public first.

Like this generation calls people they have nothing to wiht but 160 character interactions and call them "friends".

That was Justins (neighbor) deal he knows them

Hi wanna fu**

Sure

see ya in 10 minutes

We had gay ads in gay newspapers. I did like five of them some funny stories. I met em at restaurants.

One said his hair was thinning --Telly Salavadas showed up.

One said he did not drink and was leaning on the bar so hard I thought it might fall over !

I really did not think or know this generation is just getting cars, meeting behind trees in parks, or going into someones house (or having them to theirs) witohout meeting gace to face in public a couple of times before placing themselves alone with them.

How well can someone "know" someone when they are on radar like an airplane , within walking distance, and go meet em for sex?

That is flat out scary. I do think (know!)drinking (less inhibation) and being out cruising redueces jusdgement while increasing sex drive!

Ask a hetero man who spends nine hours at the beach looking at woman in woman in bikinis!!

Way were wired - were much more "visual" than , (generally speaking) than the other sex. Gay or straight - it's male

moo

How would they know unless Grindr cooperated? IMO Grindr came into the story cause people who knew him knew he was active on a dating site.

I know my neighbor is active on Grindr. It is just something that acquaintances know.

He did not text his father. He is clearly texting someone. It just makes sense to me drunk horney early in the evening.

Again respectfully I must ask, whenever a female is missing sex is the first thing and often correct. Age drinking and cruising makes sense. Why not in some of these?

But my point is he could have been on any number of sites or apps. Why are we not blasting any of them for not releasing info? If the coworker or someone said "I saw he was on the Grindr app that night" or "he had plans to meet with someone from Grindr after we parted ways" that would be cause to ask for a warrant for his activity on the app that night.

I don't see why an app would violate a users privacy if there isn't a valid reason for the request. Just moo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member