Found Deceased PA - Dana Kristine Smithers, 45, Stroudsburg, 28 May 2022 *found in 2023

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I don't know enough about how grand juries work, but are people ever called to rule out others? It it possible they have another suspect in this case and they brought his parents before the grand jury to rule BK out?
I was on a Grand Jury years ago, but I remember that we (the citizens on the Grand Jury) were able to summon witnesses that we felt we needed to talk to before we could make an informed decision. So it could be that the Grand Jury subpoenaed them to confirm or debunk details that would strengthen the case that Kohberger was involved.

From the Stroud Area Regional Police Department's Facebook page:

PRESS RELEASE
The Stroud Area Regional Police Department is aware of the many currently reported news articles, in which various media outlets have reported connections between the SARPD’s Dana Smithers missing person investigation and Idaho murder suspect Bryan Kohberger.
The SARPD has NO EVIDENCE that Dana Smither’s disappearance, is in ANY WAY tied to Idaho murder suspect Bryan Kohberger.

Have they even confirmed if her death was a homicide yet?
I do not believe it has, and that is a great point. She struggled with substance abuse in the past, was reportedly, allegedly, perhaps anxious that evening, it was not all that odd for her to have gone out of touch sometimes. Also, BK's parents were probably subpoened prior to Dana being found, so maybe it was indeed more information gathering than hashing out a tip. (my apologies for coming on so strong. Some of us like the taste of crow and hats.)

this is not a new article and was already posted here several times, but I'm just attaching a link for the factual information I've included in this post:

Smithers’ sister, Stacey Anne, revealed the connection was made by online sleuths who reached out to her with tips on a Facebook page dedicated to “Finding Dana.”
Dana Smithers disappeared in May 2022, in Monroe County, Pennsylvania.

She wrote about the amateur sleuths in a post on January 2, thanking them for “reaching out recently regarding the possibility of the suspect in the horrific murders in Idaho having been in our area around the time of my sister, Dana’s disappearance.”

She added she forwarded the tips to local law enforcement, who would go on to discover Smithers’ body in a wooded area in Stroudsburg on April 27, about 30 miles from Kohberger’s family home. Her cause of death remains unknown.
*eta:

Last edited:
I was on a Grand Jury years ago, but I remember that we (the citizens on the Grand Jury) were able to summon witnesses that we felt we needed to talk to before we could make an informed decision. So it could be that the Grand Jury subpoenaed them to confirm or debunk details that would strengthen the case that Kohberger was involved.

Did you summon them based on what you already heard? IOW, how did you know who to summon?
Truly curious (we don't use GJ's in the same way in California, although it varies a bit by county).

I do not believe it has, and that is a great point. She struggled with substance abuse in the past, was reportedly, allegedly, perhaps anxious that evening, it was not all that odd for her to have gone out of touch sometimes. Also, BK's parents were probably subpoened prior to Dana being found, so maybe it was indeed more information gathering than hashing out a tip. (my apologies for coming on so strong. Some of us like the taste of crow and hats.)

this is not a new article and was already posted here several times, but I'm just attaching a link for the factual information I've included in this post:

You think they were subpoenaed prior to April 22? I thought the opposite. I wish we knew.

no evidence and yet...

what a waste of resources if that's the case.

It's possible the evidence is coming from a different LE agency. Seems likely. Still questionable, of course. IOW, Stroud is not the PD that deals with Kohberger nor do they have the evidence found within the PA warrant for Kohberger's home (unless it's been shared beyond the GJ - but I thought the GJ was supposed to be secret).

One of my concerns is that mountainous resort regions have, IME, lots of crime and are also places where marginally employed, drifter-type people show up. So I would assume there would be more than one suspect (Kohberger is just the most famous).

I appreciate your efforts in supplying links very much.

Thank you.

What I wrote above is speculation.

You think they were subpoenaed prior to April 22? I thought the opposite. I wish we knew.

It's possible the evidence is coming from a different LE agency. Seems likely. Still questionable, of course. IOW, Stroud is not the PD that deals with Kohberger nor do they have the evidence found within the PA warrant for Kohberger's home (unless it's been shared beyond the GJ - but I thought the GJ was supposed to be secret).

One of my concerns is that mountainous resort regions have, IME, lots of crime and are also places where marginally employed, drifter-type people show up. So I would assume there would be more than one suspect (Kohberger is just the most famous).

I appreciate your efforts in supplying links very much.

Thank you.

What I wrote above is speculation.
The Poconos are to Pennsylvania what the Pine Barrens is to New Jersey.
Bodies are always being discovered, some murders, some suicides, and many missing persons.
There are usually a couple of serial killers criss-crossing the major highways of Northern PA. at any given season.
I hope Dana's case has been turned over to the Pennsylvania State Police by now.

The case of the missing woman from the Poconos came to a halt when her remains were found a year later, but what happened to Dana Kristine Smithers still remains a mystery.

A Celebration of Life is being held for Smithers on Sunday, June 25 at the Kalahari Convention Center in Pocono Manor, Pennsylvania from 12-3 p.m.

Monroe County Coroner Thomas Yanac conducted the autopsy with a forensic odonatologist that helped confirm the identity of the missing 45 year old woman, Dana Kristine Smithers, using dental records. Results of the autopsy and the cause of death are still pending further testing and toxicology results from Mercyhurst University Forensic Science Department in Erie.

According to the Stroud Area Regional Police Department, the cause and manner of death are currently undetermined. The case remains an active and ongoing investigation.

Continues at link.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csiapril77
Back