PA - Ellen Greenberg, 27, Philly teacher’s brutal stabbing, ruled suicide but possible homicide, Jan 2011

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Commonwealth Court Affirms Suicide Ruling

Writ of Mandamus - [man-DAY-muss]
I feel so badly for her parents- this is a horrible miscarriage of justice, a travesty- so badly botched by law enforcement and the medical examiner, as to shock the conscience---I am not surprised though-- there are other cases like it like Rebecca Zahau for one---There is nothing that can in any way soothe the pain her parents are feeling and will go to their graves with that pain. You really wonder how people with the power to look at this objectively, got locked into a position and would not budge from that position.

Also available at Apple Podcast. Well worth the listen to. Can't believe there's been no justice for Ellen or her family (yet!).

Check out this podcast! Behind the Locked Door, "Justice for Ellen" on Body Bags with Joseph Scott Morgan … https://iheart.com/podcast/269-body-bags-with-joseph-scot-87375583/episode/behind-the-locked-door-justice-for-ellen-100859317/?cmp=android_share&sc=android_social_share&pr=false

I forgot to post that around the 29:50 timestamp, Mr. Morgan speaks about what another pathologist stated in a disposition:

There was another pathologist who was working for the medical examiner office that did Ellen’s examine the pathologist saw something very interesting - she revealed during a disposition that it was in her opinion that this insult... this injury to the back of Ellen’s neck - to her spinal column ... there was no hemorrhage in that specific area.

The head and neck are the most vascular areas in our bodies. So you insert a knife in this area, and there is no significant hemorrhage - she didn’t get stabbed in life, she thinks it was post-mortem. That means it occurred after death!

I forgot to post that around the 29:50 timestamp, Mr. Morgan speaks about what another pathologist stated in a disposition:

There was another pathologist who was working for the medical examiner office that did Ellen’s examine the pathologist saw something very interesting - she revealed during a disposition that it was in her opinion that this insult... this injury to the back of Ellen’s neck - to her spinal column ... there was no hemorrhage in that specific area.

The head and neck are the most vascular areas in our bodies. So you insert a knife in this area, and there is no significant hemorrhage - she didn’t get stabbed in life, she thinks it was post-mortem. That means it occurred after death!
Well one thing for sure, she couldn't have stabbed herself after she died!!!!

Writ of Mandamus - [man-DAY-muss]

This is very disturbing!! So basically they are saying the parents do not have “legal agency” to request the death certificate be changed?

Does anyone know if they have any other recourse now?

“PHILADELPHIA (CBS) -- The family of Ellen Greenberg is not giving up their fight to have her death listed as a homicide -- even though a Pennsylvania appellate court ruled against them last week.”

“Attorney Joe Podraza represents the Greenbergs and was stunned by the court's ruling. He said it seemed to side with his clients, but then rules against them.

"Three judges say there is a completely flawed investigation, and it goes across three parts of our government -- the medical examiner's office, the district attorney's office and the Philadelphia Police Department," Podraza said.”

“The Greenbergs have also filed suit against the city to force the release of surveillance video from apartment hallways collected by the police as well for the police case file.

They're also suing the medical examiners alleging they covered up a homicide”

Ellen Greenberg was found with 20 stab wounds, many to the back of her head and neck, but her death was ruled a suicide despite a "flawed investigation." Her parents say she was murdered and are still fighting to clear her name
@JusticeForEllen

[...] But in a 2-1 decision last month, a Pennsylvania appellate court ruled that the Greensbergs do not have standing to sue the city of Philadelphia over the investigation into her death. The Commonwealth court did not rule on whether the manner of death could or should be changed, and criticised the investigation into Ellen’s death.

The panel said that while they were “acutely aware of the deeply flawed investigation of the victim’s death by the City of Philadelphia Police Department detectives, the City of Philadelphia District Attorney’s Office, and the Medical Examiner’s Office, we have no choice under the law,” and instead sent it back to the lower courts for further action. [...]

Ellen Greenberg’s parents are taking their fight to the Pennsylvania supreme court

Monday 09 October 2023

[...] “Even so, in the interests of justice, we believe that providing a detailed review of the Victim’s death and the ensuing investigation is clearly warranted with hopes that equity may one day prevail for the Victim and her loved ones,” wrote Judge Elaine Ceisler in the 13 September ruling.

The “deeply flawed” investigation included a crime scene cleanup that happened before the forensics team arrived and sealed it off, according to appellate court documents.

But the Greenbergs say they’re not giving up. Now, they are taking their fight to the state supreme court. [...]

5 min video

Woman stabbed 10 times in the back of the head and neck, death ruled a suicide | Banfield​

Ellen Greenberg, a 27-year-old Philadelphia teacher, was discovered dead in 2011 with 20 stab wounds, including 10 from behind. Authorities ruled her death a suicide. Now, her parents are suing city officials over alleged botched police work and a cover-up of her murder. Sandee and Josh Greenberg spoke exclusively with “NewsNation's Ashleigh Banfield, saying, "We had so much trouble obtaining the facts."

This is with out a doubt the worse I seen in Philly screw up for the cops , ME , the the entire judge’s gang. The Greenberg’s need to get to Sam’s Dad . Since he helped Sam that day before calling 911 for assistance for Ellen as a attorney he should know that would be a no no even in Philly !

Case Appealed to PA Supreme Court:

https://www.pacourts.us/assets/opinions/Commonwealth/out/1461CD21_9-13-23.pdf?cb=1

Behind the Locked Door, "Justice for Ellen" - Body Bags with Joseph Scott Morgan | iHeart

<p>For more than ten years, the family of Ellen Greenberg has been looking for answers and justice. The 27-year-old first grade teacher and bride-to-be was found stabbed behind the locked door of her apartment. In fact, she was stabbed 20 times, including wounds to her back and head. The...
www.iheart.com
www.iheart.com

Pa. court rules against family in Ellen Greenberg case; finds Philly investigation ‘deeply flawed’

The Philly teacher's 2011 death by 20 stab wounds was ruled a homicide, then switched to suicide. Parents Joshua and Sandra Greenberg filed a civil suit to change the cause of death.
www.inquirer.com
www.inquirer.com
Ellen Greenberg - Commonwealth Court Affirms Suicide - Google Search

I assume this will be found undetermined at some point.

But that is infuriating in itself.

I'd like to see the person who can stab themselves in a 180 degree angle first in the back of the neck into the brain and after that manage to stab themselves - again 180 degrees around their body from the brain-penetrating neck wound - and through the breast plate deep inside the chest.

Just no. No way in hell.

I assume this will be found undetermined at some point.

But that is infuriating in itself.

I'd like to see the person who can stab themselves in a 180 degree angle first in the back of the neck into the brain and after that manage to stab themselves - again 180 degrees around their body from the brain-penetrating neck wound - and through the breast plate deep inside the chest.

Just no. No way in hell.
Agreed. Not even Houdini. moo

I tried to research this sad case. The thing that stands out to me is why she would ever kill herself in so gruesome a manner when it was stated she was taking ambien? I would think it would be much easier to fill a prescription and take all 30 at once...wouldn't that do it? I believe that would be easier than stabbing yourself the way it is claimed she did. So odd. Beautiful woman with so much to offer.
It is impossible to continue to stab yourselves after your heart stops ! This is what the Philadelphia ME apparently thought we would go for . This same MEis no longer practicing in Philly but now in Fl convenient! The uncle of the fiancé of Ellie was promoted to Chair of top gun over all Attorneys in the courthouse WOW! No she was murdered ! If the Philly cops looked for a half a second they would found all the clues but the uncle showed up and he was the VP of septa then and we’ll u all know the story of how Philly works

It is impossible to continue to stab yourselves after your heart stops ! This is what the Philadelphia ME apparently thought we would go for . This same MEis no longer practicing in Philly but now in Fl convenient! The uncle of the fiancé of Ellie was promoted to Chair of top gun over all Attorneys in the courthouse WOW! No she was murdered ! If the Philly cops looked for a half a second they would found all the clues but the uncle showed up and he was the VP of septa then and we’ll u all know the story of how Philly works
I don't know how Philly works, but I know this woman did not kill herself. It is absurd-- It is heart breaking that apparently (like the Zahau case), the case will not be re-opened and properly investigated.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kendybee
Back