PA - Ellen Greenberg, 27, Philly teacher’s brutal stabbing, ruled suicide but possible homicide, Jan 2011

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Liz Jassin, Brian Entin

Updated: SEP 18, 2024 / 10:56 PM CDT

bob_003.gif

NewsNation) — NewsNation’s Brian Entin has uncovered discrepancies in the Ellen Greenberg autopsy report.

Greenberg’s body was discovered Jan. 26, 2011, by her fiancé, Samuel Goldberg, who told police he kicked open the apartment door after returning home from the gym and receiving no answer from Greenberg. Once inside, Goldberg said, he found his fiancée in the kitchen, leaning against a cabinet with a knife in her chest and 20 stab wounds. Greenberg suffered stab wounds to her torso, back and head.

Greenberg’s death was initially ruled a homicide, then quickly reclassified as a suicide.

Full article at link...

Does anyone understand the significance of Ellen’s eyes being open when she was found? I’ve seen it mentioned in a couple articles.

So let me get this straight: a person beat themselves up until bruised then stabbed themselves 20(!) times in the back(!) of the neck, becoming paralyzed sometime during the stabbings but somehow continuing on?

What.

Either laziness or corruption on the part of the person who changed cause of death or their family and/or livelihood was seriously threatened.

Link to Philadelphia Inquirer 2019 article:

A Philly teacher’s brutal stabbing has experts at odds: Was it a suicide or homicide?

On January 26, 2011, Ellen Greenberg, 27, was engaged to Samuel Goldberg, 28, when he found her dead in the apartment they shared in Philadelphia’s Manayunk section.

The Medical Examiner’s report states that Ellen was stabbed 20 times—10 of the stab wounds were to the back of her neck. It also details 11 bruises found on the right side of her body on the arms, abdomen and legs.

The Medical Examiner’s office ruled that the manner of death was a homicide. A few weeks later the police department determined that there was no foul play and in a rare event on March 7, 2011, the Medical Examiner’s office changed it’s ruling from homicide to suicide. The case was closed by the Philly PD, with the final ruling listed as suicide.

For the past 8 years, Ellen’s parents have tried to get answers- what really happened to Ellen?

Well known forensic pathologist, Dr. Cyril H. Whect, reviewed the autopsy report, photos of her body from the autopsy, photos of her body from the crime scene, and the ME’s investigation report from the scene. The 2012 report was labeled “strongly suspicious of homicide” and Dr. Whect said “I don’t understand how they wrote this off as a suicide.” The PD refused to release their files for Dr. Wecht’s review.

Ellen’s parents are hoping that her case will be reopened and a thorough investigation completed so that they finally get answers regarding their daughter’s Death.

At the end of the Philadelphia Inquirer article there is a link to the autopsy, experts reports and other documents.

Ellen’s family has also started a Facebook page “Justice for Ellen.”
Can the police demonstrate how anyone could possibly tolerate such pain threshold after stabbing them saved multiple times on different parts of the body? Most people will stop after 2, but Ellen had more than 20! How is that suicide?

It’s absolutely ridiculous that whoever is in charge here has been digging in their heels for thirteen years!!! Thank goodness Brian Entin is bringing this to light again.

I’m so enraged at just reading this thread again. I can’t even begin to imagine how Ellen’s parents feel in not only losing their daughter in such a horrific manner but having the corruption, arrogance, indifference or whatever it is defying all logic here. They’ve spent $700,000 of their own money on this! All it would take is admitting they were wrong and changing the certificate. I have my really strong opinions here about what or who influenced this “nothing to see here folks” investigation, but I think we all know. It’s not just incompetence or laziness.

I'm sorry to post that I've been here before but on the opposite coast where too much money and politics interfered with justice-- and are still interfering.

And there is nothing normal about the bruising displayed in the clips above.

I don’t even know what to say about it except that it is Vile. Cruel beyond belief.

Imagine her going home early, taking care to inform parents about their children’s early arrival - and this is her reward?

Maybe she disturbed her fiance when he was doing something bad in the early afternoon?

Last edited:
This interview with one of the first responders is interesting. He distinctly remembers SG wearing sweatpants when they arrived, yet the lobby video shows SG wearing shorts. Of course witnesses can be wrong, but it was apparently documented at the time that SG was in sweatpants.

I guess it’s also possible SG pulled sweatpants on over his shorts at some point, but why? Sure he could have taken a chill, but that’s a very short timeframe between the 911 call and when the first responders arrived.

It sounds like a coverup because of how strong the evidence of repeated stabbing. Anytime someone rules a homicide as a suicide but the evidence points to impossible points of entry for the arms and hands to reach solo, would 100% be a covered-up of some kind.

Not sure what. But, anytime someone overkills with stabbing is a crime of passion, hatred, or revenge. So one of these three is why they were murdered.

It sounds like a coverup because of how strong the evidence of repeated stabbing. Anytime someone rules a homicide as a suicide but the evidence points to impossible points of entry for the arms and hands to reach solo, would 100% be a covered-up of some kind.

Not sure what. But, anytime someone overkills with stabbing is a crime of passion, hatred, or revenge. So one of these three is why they were murdered.
It could be all three!

Something is definitely not mathing here though....you literally can't stab yourself in the neck until you're paralyzed then keep stabbing.

Seems either someone messed up or someone is protecting the culprit,and someone can't mess up this bad on accident, surely. One possible scenario I can think of is if someone was under the influence while investigating and the department didn't want that public, seems a stretch though

Any close ties in her circle to LE officers or politicians?

Any close ties in her circle to LE officers or politicians?
Glad you asked this and just did a Google search to see any new updates. In April of this year, 13yrs after the incident, the former ADA could testify for this case as it's being re-opened.

Now this part of the article is what makes me suspicious:

"During that same Good Day Philadelphia interview, the Greenbergs and private investigator Tom Brennan said Ellen's fiancé's uncle removed items from the apartment after it was no longer a crime scene, including Ellen's two laptops and cell phone. "Right then and there, that negates that chain of evidence," Brennan said. "That adversely impacts the chain of evidence on those devices so that anything that's discovered on those devices can be challenged in court.""
Now why on earth did he need to take these particular items, being he wasn't even related to her, only her fiance, and doing so after the fact?

It makes you wonder if there was evidence to prove it's not only murder but evidence of any threats or more that can link to the reason for her death.

I truly think her fiances family covered this up with the police.

Now an updated article from July of this year talks about the Pennslyvania Supreme Court being involved in the re-opening of her case.

What caught my attention was the fact they mentioned the medical examiner and corners being responsible for calling it a suicide instead of a homicide. This leads me to believe someone covered something up by either bribery or blackmail of some kind. Because there is no way someone in that kind of job would lie unless threatened or has something to gain.

Which brings me to this one point in the article that stood out:

""Compensation as a victim of a crime, you are compensated if it's a homicide rather than a suicide. For every citizen in this commonwealth, this case could potentially have a bearing at some point in their life or the lives of their family members, that's how important it is," he added."

The fact they mentioned someone is compensated for homicide, but not for suicide is very interesting info to let the public know. Which is why if it is a homicide, who would financially benefit from her death?

Now that's the part we all need to ask, who benefitted from her death and who benefitted the most from covering it up. That's how we find out what happened to her.

Oh so the beneficiaries wouldn't get life insurance? This is hardly something an insurance company would do, even the sketchier ones, too much to lose.

The questions I ask are:

1. Where is the hoodie she had on and how much did it cover (of her wounds)?
2. Was it pulled up over her head - or why didn’t people see the enormous gash on her head?
3. Related to 2 - WHEN did she die really, if the police thought it was suicide THEY CANNOT have seen all her other injuries. That means that SHE HAD STOPPED BLEEDING well before LE arrived. And that those wounds were not visible at a glance.

Last edited:
"To see the knife still embedded in the chest, being the large knife the way it was, didn't quite fit. Who else was here?"For the first time -- the paramedic who responded to the Ellen Greenberg call speaks publicly.He is skeptical she could have stabbed herself 20 times.

Surveillance video shows Ellen Greenberg's fiancé Sam Goldberg wearing shorts when he goes up to find her in their apartment.But the paramedic who was one of the first on the scene says he is sure Goldberg was wearing sweatpants when he arrived. Latest report from Philly:

SG provided a narrative to LE about what may have happened which most likely contributed to the suicide conclusion at the scene. Not saying SG had anything to do with this, but not unusual that person on scene is willing and ready to provide a narrative of what may have happened. jmo

Greenberg, 27, was found by her fiancé, Samuel Goldberg, in the kitchen of their Manayunk apartment with a 10-inch knife lodged in her chest on Jan. 26, 2011.

Investigators on the scene treated her death as a suicide because the apartment door — which Goldberg said he broke down — was locked from the inside, there were no signs of an intruder, and Greenberg had no defensive wounds, police have said.

But the next morning at the autopsy, then assistant Philadelphia Medical Examiner Marlon Osbourne discovered a total of 20 stab wounds to Greenberg’s body, including 10 to the back of her neck, and ruled her death a homicide.

Police publicly disputed the findings and Osbourne later changed his ruling to suicide, with no explanation to Greenberg’s parents.

Podraza filed a civil suit on behalf of the Greenbergs in 2019 against the ME’s Office and Osbourne, seeking to have the manner of Ellen’s death changed back to homicide or undetermined. As a result of that suit, additional details about the case came to light through discovery, including Goldberg’s call to 911, new information about the unusual process around how Ellen’s death was classified, and new testimony about whether one of the wounds to her neck was possibly administered after she died.

https://www.lambmcerlane.com/wp-con...ew-details-in-the-case-of-Ellen-Greenberg.pdf

The above talks in detail about the same stab wounds.

Dec. 26, 2021

Full article at link...

It was Dr. Emery, a pathologist in the Medical Examiner’s Office in 2019 trained in neuropathology, who previously testified that a specimen of Ellen’s cervical spine retained from the original autopsy contained one of Ellen’s stab wounds.

According to Dr. Emery, the preserved wound Emery examined in 2019 was administered when Ellen had no pulse – she was already dead,” Podraza said.

He went on to explain that “this wound was not the last stab wound Ellen sustained because a knife was found embedded in Ellen’s chest when emergency personnel arrived on the scene.”

“We remain dumbfounded about how a person could self-inflict at least two separate stab wounds when dead,” he added.

1727195095874.png

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammyb1025