PA - Helen Miller, 19, stabbed to death by sister, 14, Manheim Twp., Feb 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Sounds like Judge Workman is pretty explicitly "making an example" out of CM's case. He also deems CM's crime as ineligible for juvenile court because it involved the "violent killing of a vulnerable person with a severe disability." If I were the family, I would be greatly relieved that, per the article, the case is being transferred to another judge (I don't know why that is, exactly) because I'd have serious concerns that Judge Workman would impose harsher penalties on the defendant (if she's found guilty) than he would had the same crime been committed against a person without a disability, or a "non-vulnerable" person. (While I personally feel similarly about the crime being worse than had the victim not been a person with disability, I would've thought that the judge would be bound to at least sound like he was objective).

"Workman said he hoped his opinion would serve as a guide in handling the case should a future court choose to follow it. He said he believed “what occurred in this case was a psychotic episode of some kind.”

Workman said, “The court is aware, and is not adverse, to the family’s request for mercy. Mercy is defined as compassion or forgiveness, but it also includes a requirement of accountability. Claire is certainly suffering from mental illness and has experienced a psychotic episode. She is dealing with multiple mental health diagnoses, including gender dysphoria and hallucinations. ... At the same time this crime involves the violent killing of a vulnerable person with a severe disability who had no ability to cry for help or run away. There must be remembrance for Helen.”

Last edited:
I'm obviously missing something. Isn't she more apt to receive mental health treatment if she is charged & tried as a juvenile? The juvenile system focuses on rehabilitation and (at least IMO) the adult system is basically punitive..

I'm obviously missing something. Isn't she more apt to receive mental health treatment if she is charged & tried as a juvenile? The juvenile system focuses on rehabilitation and (at least IMO) the adult system is basically punitive..
I *think* the judge was trying to say that he thinks CM needs longer-lasting mental health treatment than she would be able to receive in the juvenile system. if I understand the article correctly, if CM was tried and convicted as a juvenile, any state-mandated/state-provided mental health treatment would terminate when CM turned 21.

If she ends up in a psychiatric (state) prison she could have treatment for the rest of her life. I guess it depends on whether or not the defense can prove insanity.
I had a feeling she'd be tried as an adult. Pennsylvania charges anyone who commits murder, no matter the age, as an adult. About 7 years ago there was a 10 year old boy from East Stroudsburg tried as an adult for murdering his 90 year old grandmother. If they are willing to send 10 and 11 year olds to prison it's not likely they will make exceptions for a 14 year old.
They should change the laws, but I haven't heard that anybody is even trying.

Sounds like Judge Workman is pretty explicitly "making an example" out of CM's case. He also deems CM's crime as ineligible for juvenile court because it involved the "violent killing of a vulnerable person with a severe disability." If I were the family, I would be greatly relieved that, per the article, the case is being transferred to another judge (I don't know why that is, exactly) because I'd have serious concerns that Judge Workman would impose harsher penalties on the defendant (if she's found guilty) than he would had the same crime been committed against a person without a disability, or a "non-vulnerable" person. (While I personally feel similarly about the crime being worse than had the victim not been a person with disability, I would've thought that the judge would be bound to at least sound like he was objective).

"Workman said he hoped his opinion would serve as a guide in handling the case should a future court choose to follow it. He said he believed “what occurred in this case was a psychotic episode of some kind.”

Workman said, “The court is aware, and is not adverse, to the family’s request for mercy. Mercy is defined as compassion or forgiveness, but it also includes a requirement of accountability. Claire is certainly suffering from mental illness and has experienced a psychotic episode. She is dealing with multiple mental health diagnoses, including gender dysphoria and hallucinations. ... At the same time this crime involves the violent killing of a vulnerable person with a severe disability who had no ability to cry for help or run away. There must be remembrance for Helen.”

I'm not admitted to practice in PA but in many states it is considered an enhancement or an additional crime when a crime is committed by a person in a position of trust against someone in their care or against a "vulnerable adult" in general. That may have been what he was talking about when he focused on the crime being committed against a vulnerable person with a severe disability.

In Delaware, for example, it is an additional crime to commit a crime against a "vulnerable adult" defined as an adult "who, by reason of isolation, sickness, debilitation, mental illness or physical, mental or cognitive disability, is easily susceptible to abuse, neglect, mistreatment, intimidation, manipulation, coercion or exploitation." 2014 Delaware Code :: Title 11 - Crimes and Criminal Procedure :: CHAPTER 5. SPECIFIC OFFENSES :: Subchapter V Offenses Relating to Children and Incompetents :: § 1105. Crime against a vulnerable adult

Awaiting (Upper) Court Date

In-Custody as of 24 June -- Lancaster County Prison

ID Number: PD9***
Per: VineLink:

Last edited:
March 2023 (Upper) Court Date

Pretrial Custody at Lancaster County Prison as of 9 September

ID Number: PD9***
Per: VineLink:

NBC News:

Last edited:
(Ms) Claire Elaina Miller, Now 16