GUILTY PA - Husband charged in cyanide poisoning death of Dr. Autumn Klein

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Since he alleged to have killed her before she could even become pregnant, I don't need to read his mind to figure out he didn't really want to have another child with her. How was he possibly going to get this child with her being dead?

Actually no, it depends on WHEN he decided to do away with his wife.

For instance -- and this seems to me to be true based on the rapidity with which he ordered the cyanide from his own lab and then within 2 days his wife was poisoned -- that he had NOT decided on killing his wife until very recently, perhaps even within a few days to a week of the actual poisoning episode. So it could very well be that he and his wife BOTH had wanted a child the past year or so, and that it was not until very recently that he either discovered his wife might have been cheating on him, or he finally decided to do away with her because of her lies or that she disobeyed him or whatever he deemed he could no longer accept. In other words, they could have both wanted a child together very badly until recently when things came to a head between them, when his controlling manners and suspicions of her out-of-town trips became too much for him to bear and he decided enough was enough and she had to go.

So again, no, the assumption you've made that because he killed her it absolutely meant he never wanted a second biological child with her may in fact be false.

He may have been thinking about killing his wife for some time. I think he sped the process up because he did not want to go to that conference for some reason. He still could have killed her even after she got pregnant. He would have to use a different ruse to get her to drink the stuff or just put it in her food. Maybe he wanted to kill her before she filled for divorce.

He may have been thinking about killing his wife for some time. I think he sped the process up because he did not want to go to that conference for some reason. He still could have killed her even after she got pregnant. He would have to use a different ruse to get her to drink the stuff or just put it in her food. Maybe he wanted to kill her before she filled for divorce.

Or if he anticipated possibly getting caught he'd be on the hook for two deaths instead of one. jmo

New article about how Ferrante exploited loopholes to buy cyanide.

An unnamed lab colleague told detectives that the P-Card "is a last choice for purchases and this was the first time Ferrante had used it," according to the affidavit.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories...oopholes-to-buy-cyanide-698041/#ixzz2b14NGaYL

The thing is that he wouldn't have had to exploit any loopholes. He is studying neurodegenerative diseases. Neurotoxins are used to mimic these diseases all the time in research. All he would have had to do is administer some possibly protective medication or compound to some mice, give them the cyanide to see if it was effective and say he was hoping to get a grant to study the medication in one of the more expensive mouse models if it looked promising. It would have looked entirely legitimate especially if he had gone through normal purchasing channels.

If I wanted to purchase cyanide, I couldn't come up with a good reason (I"m a sociologist) so better controls would stop someone like me but medical researchers could certainly think of legitimate uses.

His defense:

1.) It was suicide. Not a chance. Baby plans, happy life, boyfriend plans even.
2.) The hospital tainted the blood. No, other symptoms were there, etc.
3.) creatine converts to cyanide. Not possible in these doses.
4.) she did it to herself, thinking the glass vials (cyanide he'd brought home for
Purposes of work..can you believe this one) contained sugary flavoring. No way.
5.) problems at the lab when the cyanide was briefly in a drawer.
A.) casual mixup of drugs...impossible.
B.) someone wanted wife dead. No.
C.) someone wanted to frame him...I think the only likely defense.
D.) someone aimed to murder him in the lab, but he took the stuff home instead.

Honestly, I can't see why he bothers, except that he has little to lose. I have heard that in these trials the typical defense is to prove reasonable doubt by implying someone else. This is why. I hope the lab assistants are not put through too much. Since his own reputation rests on the people he hires, I cannot believe he could try to blame them. So I really wonder why his lawyer feels so confident. Probably: he is too nice to do something dastardly. Which is where I originally tuned in. I think the whole second child thing would trump a divorce for her (she could get pregnant, then divorce. They'd just been to Puerto Rico and maybe she thought they were going to give it a last try). What concerns me more is what he thought he was doing to the daughter he had. Outrageous! Without a mother and father now, as well as a history..a recollection of sirens, flashing lights, trauma of nauseous mother, hospital emergency and a lifelong stigma as well as betrayal.

Per "male friend's" statements, conferences is where she was meeting up with this "male friend."
It appears hubby go suspicious and started following her these conferences. Maybe he really decided to make sure she couldn't meet up with the "male friend."

There was a hearing about custody of the daughter. The grandparents will maintain custody.

Ferrante's adult son from a previous relationship, Michael Ferrante, of Boston, and his wife sought to care for the girl. But Cashman ruled the Ferrantes can't claim custody under Pennsylvania law, which restricts such claims to parents, grandparents or those who have acted as a child's "stand-in" parents.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_...t-to-remain-with-victims-parents-judge-rules/

There was a hearing about custody of the daughter. The grandparents will maintain custody.

Ferrante's adult son from a previous relationship, Michael Ferrante, of Boston, and his wife sought to care for the girl. But Cashman ruled the Ferrantes can't claim custody under Pennsylvania law, which restricts such claims to parents, grandparents or those who have acted as a child's "stand-in" parents.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_...t-to-remain-with-victims-parents-judge-rules/

That's a shame that the grandparents age of 78 or 79 isn't taken into account? After all the child is only 6. Maybe they could share custody with the younger man and his wife. There even may be children to play with.

That's a shame that the grandparents age of 78 or 79 isn't taken into account? After all the child is only 6. Maybe they could share custody with the younger man and his wife. There even may be children to play with.

I agree, I'm sure they love her dearly but what's the future. And, the brother IS a half brother as well as the sister.

The child may not really know her half brother. The grandparents were the ones who watched her when the couple went to conferences. The grandparents kept her after the murder, they know and love her. Things may change over time, but right now I agree with the court.

OK here is the real reason for the child staying with the grandparent, she is a witness...

Ferrante had tried to have his sister, who lives in Florida, care for the couple's daughter, Cianna, before a judge last month granted temporary custody to the parents of Ferrante's dead wife, Dr. Autumn Klein.

Prosecutors have said the girl is a witness in the case, and don't want Ferrante to have contact with her.

http://www.seattlepi.com/news/article/Judge-closes-custody-hearing-in-Pa-poisoning-case-4714023.php

Another article about custody with more detail about the relationships.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories...doctor-maintain-custody-of-grandchild-698530/

Good to hear that Grandmother is petitioning the court for spousal support

from Ferrante !! I certainly hope she is successful. I wonder if their little girl

will receive 24-hr protection until the trial is over.

Why does he have a public defender? Is that just a temporary, interim defense attorney?

A lot of interesting stuff in that article... thank you!

Looks like his assets were frozen, in which case he can claim to be destitute, for getting the services of the public defender:
http://www.post-gazette.com/stories...-researcher-accused-of-poisoning-wife-698191/

If found guilty, I might foresee him claiming inadequate counsel at a later appeal, but the frozen assets would be the immediate reason why he has a PD.

Looks like his assets were frozen, in which case he can claim to be destitute, for getting the services of the public defender:
http://www.post-gazette.com/stories...-researcher-accused-of-poisoning-wife-698191/

If found guilty, I might foresee him claiming inadequate counsel at a later appeal, but the frozen assets would be the immediate reason why he has a PD.

Not all accounts are frozen, he has at least $280,00 to start with and can revisit the issue with the judge for more money later if needed. He will get the money he needs and does not have a public defender. (from the article you linked and also from the one I linked)

Money is probably the LAST thing I'd be thinking of when it came to my daughter or granddaughter. I'm sure they have plenty to share already with her. She's only 6 and doesn't require much. Sounds like vindictiveness moreso. That or just plain $$$/

The Kennedy plane crash brought out the same mentality. Rich lawyers the parents of the dead Kennedy wife, and her sister sued for millions and took a settlement of course. I suppose they saw the loss of their daughters as a business deal gone bad. Someone had to pay. That's always the way today, (all in imo of course :) )
:(

We don't know whether the grandparents are wealthy or not. Perhaps the child goes to expensive private school. Maybe it is a way to get back at Ferrante, he killed their daughter. Then again he has money, it's his child, let him pay.

The couple held joint accounts totaling just under $900,000, while Mr. Ferrante holds several accounts totaling about $2.5 million.

We don't know whether the grandparents are wealthy or not. Perhaps the child goes to expensive private school. Maybe it is a way to get back at Ferrante, he killed their daughter. Then again he has money, it's his child, let him pay.

The couple held joint accounts totaling just under $900,000, while Mr. Ferrante holds several accounts totaling about $2.5 million.

Just for the record. I lived for over 30 years and know where they live and it's an exclusive area for the super rich in Baltimore's suburbs.

Just for the record, (nothing else), to each their own opinion about money and suing people for it. :)

I wish the child well, and she learns the proper values in life. That would be nice to know too. More important I suppose to me then wealth or proving anything or revenge. Just my way (imo),

Ferrante is the child's father. Therefore has to pay child support. So I don't follow the logic at all.

Ferrante is the child's father. Therefore has to pay child support. So I don't follow the logic at all.

just my own musing, rambling nothing more. The logic however, may evade, but it has something to do with thinking of money at a time like this, and nothing more.

Something to do with emotions over cold hard cash. Unless one needed welfare of course, or practical help with their child.

Just my own logic or thoughts, nothing more. :) I wasn't looking for any kind of agreement, but I do know the area, and it's a rich enclave in anyone's estimation in old Baltimore. The "just getting by" aren't living there or owning homes there.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roberasparrow
Back