PA - infant Leon Katz murdered, twin injured, allegedly by babysitter, Pittsburgh- June 24, 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
It is pure speculation and based in large part on them seeking the death penalty as I just cannot see doing that without some evidence to say what she actually did to the children - put purely speculation
Oddly, my intuition was that they threw the death penalty in as leverage, due to NOT having enough hard evidence— in the hopes that she would fess up and work on a plea deal, so they would not have to spend exorbitant amounts of money on a trial. Just an intuition, though, so time will tell…..
@ChatteringBirds

Oddly, my intuition was that they threw the death penalty in as leverage, due to NOT having enough hard evidence— in the hopes that she would fess up and work on a plea deal, so they would not have to spend exorbitant amounts of money on a trial. Just an intuition, though, so time will tell…..
@ChatteringBirds
Do you or anyone else here know of any cases where the state has withdrawn the death penalty because the accused has not entered into plea negotiations and maintained their not guilty plea?

Personally I think they would come out of that with a stained reputation, especially then proceeding to trial with weak evidence.

I don't think you can go around threatening people with the death penalty to get a confession to something you cannot confidently prove BRD.

Do you or anyone else here know of any cases where the state has withdrawn the death penalty because the accused has not entered into plea negotiations and maintained their not guilty plea?

Personally I think they would come out of that with a stained reputation, especially then proceeding to trial with weak evidence.

I don't think you can go around threatening people with the death penalty to get a confession to something you cannot confidently prove BRD.
No, but the idea is to get a plea of guilt to some charge, which is the point of a plea deal. I actually did know of a case involving someone my sister knew, in New Jersey, in 1998 involving homicide—the DA used the threat of the death penalty to get the defendant to plead guilty to a lesser charge in a plea deal.

They had evidence, but there were questions that might have raised reasonable doubt during a trial. In studying jurisprudence I came to understand that plea deals can be a prosecutorial manipulation.

No, but the idea is to get a plea of guilt to some charge, which is the point of a plea deal. I actually did know of a case involving someone my sister knew, in New Jersey, in 1998 involving homicide—the DA used the threat of the death penalty to get the defendant to plead guilty to a lesser charge in a plea deal.

They had evidence, but there were questions that might have raised reasonable doubt during a trial. In studying jurisprudence I came to understand that plea deals can be a prosecutorial manipulation.
I think it's an outrageous stance, malfeasance even, for a prosecutor to say we've accepted a plea of guilty of negligence having communicated publicly that there is evidence to support that crimes alleged were intentionally committed and serious enough to warrant the death penalty.

I would think the only acceptable negotiations in an instance such as this would be a confession to the crimes charged, perhaps with some mitigating circumstance, to commute the sentence to LWOP. JMO

I think it's an outrageous stance, malfeasance even, for a prosecutor to say we've accepted a plea of guilty of negligence having communicated publicly that there is evidence to support that crimes alleged were intentionally committed and serious enough to warrant the death penalty.

I would think the only acceptable negotiations in an instance such as this would be a confession to the crimes charged, perhaps with some mitigating circumstance, to commute the sentence to LWOP. JMO
Probably. And since this is a case in the public eye, perhaps your second paragraph is the sole possibility here.

The case I’m thinking of was not very much in the public eye. And years later that prosecutor was charged with prosecutorial misconduct in several other cases, which is telling.

It’s not unusual for DA Zappala to bring death penalty charges. He did in 3 cases in 2022. Also, other years I found with a quick search, 2015, 2019, 2024. Likely more.
Thanks for posting this!

I don’t want to go too off topic here, but I have been reading about some controversies related to DA Zappala. I don’t know how much is legitimate vs. political, but something to keep in mind, IMO. I’ve read some comments that perhaps he is overcharging on this case due to complaints of systemic racism against his office.

For example:

Of course, we have no way of knowing what the evidence is in this case and there might well be irrefutable evidence showing guilt BARD. I guess we will find out at trial or if there is a plea deal.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this!

I don’t want to go too off topic here, but I have been reading about some controversies related to DA Zappala. I don’t know how much is legitimate vs. political, but something to keep in mind, IMO. I’ve read some comments that perhaps he is overcharging on this case due to complaints of systemic racism against his office.

For example:

Of course, we have no way of knowing what the evidence is in this case and there might well be irrefutable evidence showing guilt BARD. I guess we will find out at trial or if there is a plea deal.
I was waiting for someone to pick up on that controversy.

I’m researching some of the DP cases in the last 25 years. At least two defendants sentenced to DP were white men who engaged in race-inspired mass shootings. Richard Baumhammers, 2000 and Robert Bowers 2018. I am still looking for non-mass murder DP cases where the victims were black, defendant was white, as per the controversy.

Some feel NV’s case may be overcharged. A few have mentioned it was done to force a plea. The racism controversy is another theory.

I honestly don't know yet if it’s an overcharged case. On the surface, it feels it could be, given it seems easy enough for an infant to be injured in a fall. Without details of why the hospital determined the fatal injuries to LK were abuse, it’s too soon to know.

I did raise an eyebrow about the DP enhancer, mainly because I followed the local case of the murder of 2 year old Nalani Johnson, where I felt killer Sharena Nancy was given a comparatively light sentence.

jmo

Some feel NV’s case may be overcharged. A few have mentioned it was done to force a plea. The racism controversy is another theory.

I honestly don't know yet if it’s an overcharged case. On the surface, it feels it could be, given it seems easy enough for an infant to be injured in a fall. Without details of why the hospital determined the fatal injuries to LK were abuse, it’s too soon to know.
Snipped for focus.
Agreed: We need additional information, counter arguments and expert testimony from the defense, to get a clearer understanding of just how solid the evidence against NV is. I’m on the fence about her guilt or innocence at this point in time.

I am still curious how NV came to visit at this time- did she volunteer to help out? Did the parents say they were working hard to keep up with the twin care and needed help? I know lots of families in which some one does show up to help with baby care- grands, sisters, friends etc.
And I still wonder if they spent any real in person time with her before this visit. Maybe they were just acquaintances or work friends. Have the parents said anything or made any statement? Or anyone?

And I still wonder if they spent any real in person time with her before this visit. Maybe they were just acquaintances or work friends. Have the parents said anything or made any statement? Or anyone?
I have not been able to find any MSN article which addresses this. Only the statement from NV’s attorney asserting that:

1. NV had known the couple for 5 years
2. She was a “trusted friend”.
3. She was in Pittsburgh to see the couple and their twin infant sons

Nothing about if there had been prior real life visits, or if it was all online or over the phone.

According to this source,

fundraising efforts for the twins' parents describe NV as a "trusted family friend."

I believe in an earlier WS thread there was discussion of texts between NV and SR but cannot find it now.
MOO

And it states in the article above, that she was asked to care for Ari (and then of course subsequently left with Leon).

I know in past discussions many posters wondered if NV had offered her services, or had been requested by the couple to babysit. According to the above link, it was the latter.

And it states in the article above, that she was asked to care for Ari (and then of course subsequently left with Leon).

I know in past discussions many posters wondered if NV had offered her services, or had been requested by the couple to babysit. According to the above link, it was the latter.
I can't even imagine how these parents must feel. Not only the grief of losing a child, but the utter shock at how it happened and by whom. Who would ever think that asking a college friend to babysit for date night would result in intentional homicide? It doesn't even sound like she "lost her cool" but that she literally intended torture! It's such a mind fork, like...what!??

Allegedly of course. She's still innocent until proven guilty.

IMO MOO

Still a bit of conflicting info out there. They went together on an outing during the day, and NV began watching LK at 6:30 while the parents took AK to the hospital. Was NV initially asked to babysit for a date night out, and that didn’t happen due to LK needing to go to hospital? Or was there never an intention for her to babysit, only occurred due to the hospital trip?

On the day before he died, Leon spent time with Virzi on an outing with his parents and twin brother, according to a police complaint.

At some point that day, police said, Virzi pointed out to Roberts and Katz that Ari had blood in his diaper and that his penis was red and swollen, the complaint said.

Virzi said Leon was left in her care sometime around 6:30 p.m. at Roberts and Katz's apartment while they brought Ari to the hospital.

I can't even imagine how these parents must feel. Not only the grief of losing a child, but the utter shock at how it happened and by whom. Who would ever think that asking a college friend to babysit for date night would result in intentional homicide? It doesn't even sound like she "lost her cool" but that she literally intended torture! It's such a mind fork, like...what!??

Allegedly of course. She's still innocent until proven guilty.

IMO MOO
Yes, unless it turns out to be some kind of horrible accident, it’s horrifying and impossible to understand.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
makaylaj
Back